PDA

View Full Version : Quarantine Period for Travelers to Thailand Reduced to 10 Days April 1

Manforallseasons
March 19th, 2021, 20:05
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-19/thailand-to-shorten-quarantine-for-visitors-to-revive-tourism

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2021, 20:11
Yeah, seen that article. I like how they have like a 8 month plan set in stone, as if they know what the coming months are going to bring in regards to the virus, or something.

gerefan2
March 19th, 2021, 20:44
Yeah, seen that article. .

Whoops!

Manforallseasons
March 19th, 2021, 20:47
Whoops!

LOL

goji
March 19th, 2021, 21:05
1 AFAIK, a few days after Gerefan & I arrived, they started testing quarantined people 3 times, with the additional test on day 9. Obviously this was to provide data for a decision on 10 day quarantine & now the decision has been made.

2 I presume 14==>10 days means 15==>11 nights, considering the way they count "quarantine days". [Compare with visa days, where 30 days = 29 nights]

This isn't a major opening up, as I estimate the easing of rules might at best compensate for slowing of demand out of season & offset restrictions in countries of origin.

I imagine there will be further relaxation before the next winter season, as Thailand ought to have dished out millions of doses of AZD1222 by then.

christianpfc
March 19th, 2021, 21:34
A step in the right direction. But still, I'm not convinced. As soon as they form a travel bubble with Cambodia (and maybe Lao, but that's irrelevant for me), I will go. But the current outbreak in Cambodia makes that unlikely in the near future. I'm in the fortunate position that I could spend the rest of the year here in Cambodia, whereas the Thai are under Zugzwang (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zugzwang) (a word that English borrowed from German) to save what's left of their tourism industry.

My issue is not the quarantine (time and money involved), but that you get only 60 (minus quarantine, plus possible extension of 30 days, but you have to spend a day at immigration and 1900 THB), and to a lesser extend unnecessary bureaucracy (COE, book quarantine in advance; none of this was/is required for Cambodia).

2 I presume 14==>10 days means 15==>11 nights, considering the way they count "quarantine days". [Compare with visa days, where 30 days = 29 nights]
For quarantine, day of arrival counts as day 0, for visa day 1.
For mainland China visa free transit, 144 hours counts from 00:00 the day after your arrival.

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2021, 21:42
Can you remind me, what's Cambodia current rules like? $2000 USD, negative KoVid test required, and you get what? 60 days?

a447
March 19th, 2021, 21:56
Zugzwang (a word that English borrowed from German)

I've never heard of it.

gerefan2
March 19th, 2021, 22:09
, plus possible extension of 30 days, but you have to spend a day at immigration.

A day. I wish.

I went to immigration 2 weeks ago to apply for a Covid 60 day extension.

Day 1 . Spent an hour in the queue to be told come back next week. (Can only apply 7 days ahead).
Day 2. Spent 2 hours there and and only given 9 days...under consideration...come back in 9 days.
Day 3. Went back today (day9) and told copy this copy that. Did so and they kept passport. Told to return Monday.
Day 4. What will happen? I have no idea. Hopefully get a few more days.

christianpfc
March 19th, 2021, 23:22
Can you remind me, what's Cambodia current rules like? $2000 USD, negative KoVid test required, and you get what? 60 days?
The 2000 USD have to be deposited upon entry to Cambodia. If your test is positive, or you miss your flight, or are denied boarding, or you are denied entry, you keep the money; whereas in Thailand you have to book and at least partially pay the quarantine hotel in advance.

Negative test is required for Thailand as well, and now for most countries, or even airlines require a negative test.

The business visa for Cambodia is valid for only 30 days, but can easily be extended to one year. If you look at the cost of about 350 USD, that's about the same as you would pay if you were extending your stay in Thailand 30 days for 1900 THB for the same time, but much easier.

No COE and no Fit-to-Fly needed for Cambodia.

Visa-wise, Cambodia wins hands down for me (if you discount that you can get to Thailand on a tourist visa, but to Cambodia only on a business visa). But Thailand has other advantages (or rather speaking the language is an advantage for me, and knowing the food and the boys), so I would move over as soon as entry requirement are more relaxed.

christianpfc
March 19th, 2021, 23:28
A day. I wish.

Day 1 . Spent an hour in the queue to be told come back next week. (Can only apply 7 days ahead).
Day 2. Spent 2 hours there and and only given 9 days...under consideration...come back in 9 days.
Day 3. Went back today (day9) and told copy this copy that. Did so and they kept passport. Told to return Monday.
My comment (spend one day at immigration) referred to pre-Covid. But then (2017) I figured out that I rather do a visa run every 60 days than extend for 30 days. The 1900 THB saved this way payed for the flights, and I saw some other countries to see if they could be an alternative to Thailand. Never put all eggs in one basket! It paid out, I would not have gone to Cambodia during Covid if this had been my first time to Cambodia, but having been here for visa runs from Thailand, I had a rough idea about the country and conditions here.

The Covid extension would be a way to stay in Thailand long-time, but first I don't know how long it will be possible this way, and second all the hassle and uncertainty you describe!

christianpfc
March 19th, 2021, 23:39
I've never heard of it.
Zugzwang. Neither have I, in English. How would you say? When I wrote the post, I immediately had Zugzwang in mind, but didn't know an English equivalent, so I went to google and got Zugzwang.

Figuratively, I'm sitting in my armchair and looking at Thai entry requirements:
The original Tourist Visa in November: dismissed!
The shortened quarantine period: must try harder!

If there is any positive in Covid, it shows that Thailand is more dependent on foreign tourists than I am dependent on Thailand. If someone had told me a year ago that I would be out of Thailand for a year (1apr) or even longer (at current situation, it might only be in autumn that I return), I would have been horrified and devastated! Now I have settled Cambodia and am nitpicking the Thai entry requirements. COE? Me? I don't think so!

cdnmatt
March 19th, 2021, 23:47
Zugzwang. Neither have I, in English. How would you say? When I wrote the post, I immediately had Zugzwang in mind, but didn't know an English equivalent, so I went to google and got Zugzwang.

I don't think there is an English equivalent. Disenfranchised is the best that comes to mind, but that's not quite right.

goji
March 20th, 2021, 00:52
I'd only encountered the use of Zugzwang in English for chess, where the players are forced to move when it is their turn, even if it would be advantageous not to move. So it's a "forced move".

Whilst Christian is better qualified than me to comment, I would expect a long list of German words that have no English equivalent. That's because in German they frequently join many words together to make one long one.

Whilst the Thais are under a lot of pressure, they actually have only made a small step here. Quarantine is shortened very slightly, probably backed by data.
The tourist industry actually needs bigger steps, although right now, whatever Thailand does will only make a small difference, due to other international restrictions.

Oliver2
March 20th, 2021, 15:17
The latest "Integrity Legal" Youtube report is more optimistic.

StevieWonders
March 22nd, 2021, 04:43
A day. I wish.

As I recall you told us that you had applied for a “retirement” visa rather than the “special tourist visa” that is tailored to your trip. You are now going through the torturous process to extend a visa of the class which you were granted rather than the much simpler extension of the one for which you should have applied.

gerefan2
March 22nd, 2021, 05:00
I originally applied for and was granted my usual 90 day O Visa (over 50 year old).

I recall at the time the STV visa was only valid 60 days and with no guarantee of a 30 day extension, although it is usually granted. This I wanted to avoid.

As my 90 days are up I had the choice of either a standard 30 day extension or the Covid 60 day extension. I chose the latter for flexibility of return dates.

StevieWonders
March 22nd, 2021, 05:52
As you’re doubtless aware gerefan2, today is the 81st morning this year you’ve woken up in Thailand. Me too. But I’m consoled by making a context-sensitive application of Churchill’s riposte to the woman MP who accused him of being drunk.

Blueskytoday
March 22nd, 2021, 20:19
After total end of quarantine,,,and no $100,000 insurance, which almost no other country applies...I will come, otherwise...forget it all...This is just ME...

cdnmatt
March 22nd, 2021, 22:52
While on this topic, what's up with the Thailand Elite card? Are they still offering 5 year VISAs? Maybe some pampered quarantine service, or something?

gerefan2
March 23rd, 2021, 01:27
As you’re doubtless aware gerefan2, today is the 81st morning this year you’ve woken up in Thailand. Me too. But I’m consoled by making a context-sensitive application of Churchill’s riposte to the woman MP who accused him of being drunk.

Thank you for pointing out that analogy. It is quite apposite.

So to loosely compare the great leaders comment to our positions...

For the foreseeable future you are going to wake up in your little flat, unable to leave Thailand and its smog, because of onerous returning quarantine requirements and expense.
I on the other hand will wake up, on a date soon to be decided by myself, in my house in England’s green and pleasant land as summer dawns and return to Thailand again next winter.

StevieWonders
March 23rd, 2021, 01:54
Thank you for pointing out that analogy. It is quite apposite.

So to loosely compare the great leaders comment to our positions...

For the foreseeable future you are going to wake up in your little flat, unable to leave Thailand and its smog, because of onerous returning quarantine requirements and expense.
I on the other hand will wake up, on a date soon to be decided by myself, in my house in England’s green and pleasant land as summer dawns and return to Thailand again next winter.Exactly so. I am a resident, you are merely a sex tourist.

a447
March 25th, 2021, 17:46
Some posts unrelated to this topic have been moved here:

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?21972-Spillover-from-Quarantine-Period-for-Travellers-to-Thailand

A447