PDA

View Full Version : What's it like in Thailand now?

bucknaway
March 18th, 2021, 08:35
Can anyone tell us what's it like in Thailand? I'm wondering if the street vendors have returned to Silom?

In pattaya are the beach vendors doing business as usual or have they made any changes to earn more money by offering more services?

Are baht buses still running same as usual?

Can anyone post a pic of what things look like on a regular weeknight vs a weekend?

Any info would be appreciated.

StevieWonders
March 18th, 2021, 09:05
The usual rubbishy gewgaws for sale on Silom - hardly worth their while. Soi 4 dead - G’s had the most customers but barely half full last night.

Ruthrieston
March 18th, 2021, 13:31
Living in Pattaya, been here for nine years now, and while I am very happy to be here and to feel safe from the pandemic thanks to how well Thailand has dealt with it, I do get really sad when I see so many places closing down. Recently I met a friend at Sue's Mexican for dinner, on the soi next to Boyztown, and apart from the massage place on the right as you walk into Boyztown it was in total darkness, as was the soi where Sue's is, so depressing, even a little scary. Walking up to Second Road after dinner, it was all silent, nobody walking and everywhere closed by 8pm. I am grateful for the bars battling on in Jomtien Complex, although I am not a late night person, and usually heading home by 9pm, and most of the bars are fairly quiet still then. I started going to the beach again when they reopened after the long lockdown last year, and while it is really quiet, with few customers, I enjoy the peace and feel I am at least supporting them a little. Recently three of my favourite restaurants have closed down, Roma Pizza on Thappraya, Mimosa on Soi Chaiyapruek, and Or Ah Harn on Pattaya Tai. Yesterday I dropped in to Royal Garden to buy some wine in Wine Connection, and it was utterly depressing with almost two thirds of the shops and cafes and restaurants closed down. Thankfully Central Festival, Terminal 21, Big C Extra keep me going.

Manforallseasons
March 18th, 2021, 13:52
. Recently three of my favourite restaurants have closed down, Roma Pizza on Thappraya, Mimosa on Soi Chaiyapruek.

Mimosa has moved to a new location on Jomtien second road. Google it or check it on Facebook.

gerefan2
March 18th, 2021, 23:45
I agree with what Rutreiston says.

Boyztown is a write off at the moment. Most bars operate on a part time basis (only open certain days) and the three remaining gogo bars are desperately short of boys. I have not seen any available in Cupidol.

Conversely Sunee Plaza is operating normally. All remaining bars open every day until midnight. Two active gogo bars although Winner is short of boys. Nice Boys usually well stocked.

Another consequence of Boyztown being effectively closed is money saving! Instead of paying 250 or 350 baht per drink in gogo bars I’m paying 80 in ordinary host bars in Sunee and Jomtien. A quarter of the price!

A Thai friend last night told me that Philippine Esaan (sp) on Third Road will reopen next week. ..lets hope he is correct.

Baht busses running normally but expect a gap between services.

In closing Jomtien is thriving, Sunne is struggling, BT is a lost cause.

Manforallseasons
March 19th, 2021, 00:25
In closing Jomtien is thriving, Sunne is struggling, BT is a lost cause.

You would not recognize Sunee now with the exception of Nice Boys both sides of Sunee are empty, only the area near plastic chair bar shows a tiny bit of life. If you have been to Nice Boys over the past few years there is a good chance you will see many of the same faces only 3 years older. Jomtien Complex is frequented by geriatrics peppered with fem boys and some straight Cambodian boys. The geriatrics appear to be there to socialize amongst themselves with a few boys huddled together on their cell phones, as said before Boystown is basically but a memory of its former self so if the apps aren’t your thing there is always the famous Pattaya Alligator farm (not sure if it is open anymore).

goji
March 19th, 2021, 00:50
Having completed my holiday and returned home, I'll just make a little comparison (see table).
Thailand still offers enough compared with the alternatives.

Marc K
March 19th, 2021, 04:05
Suggestion: There are lots of YouTube videos of walking tours of Pattaya, Jomtien, Jomtien Beach, Dongtan Beach... It is a good way of seeing what things are like there now. Spoiler alert: Pretty depressing to be sure.

bucky13
March 19th, 2021, 04:23
while the US government showers trillions of dollars over the electorate, how in Thailand does the population survive day to day if, as it's clearly stated here, most businesses are shuttered or at the very least in shambles?

StevieWonders
March 19th, 2021, 05:16
while the US government showers trillions of dollars over the electorate, how in Thailand does the population survive day to day if, as it's clearly stated here, most businesses are shuttered or at the very least in shambles?Lots of suicides

Manforallseasons
March 19th, 2021, 07:45
Lots of suicides

https://theaseanpost.com/article/suicide-thailands-epidemic-pandemic

Armando
March 19th, 2021, 10:28
Interesting to see from the map posted by MFAS that wealthy Singapore is second only to Thailand in number of suicides.

francois
March 19th, 2021, 14:14
Regarding Sunee Plaza; both Nice Boys and Winner Bar are open and doing some business.
Green Bar open but only one or so customers per night. Diamond Bar open and sometimes 6 customers,more or less, per night. Euro Bar and One Bar open but only a few customers.Prices are quite inexpensive for drinks, about 100 Baht.

Oliver2
March 19th, 2021, 14:56
Thailand suicides;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15nsYZ1rXEg&ab_channel=CNAInsider

christianpfc
March 19th, 2021, 22:27
A Thai friend last night told me that Philippine Esaan (sp) on Third Road will reopen next week. ..lets hope he is correct.

Sinlapin Esan ศิลปินอีสานพัทยา

wingnut
March 20th, 2021, 12:27
Having completed my holiday and returned home, I'll just make a little comparison (see table).
Thailand still offers enough compared with the alternatives.Nothing about prostitutes?

StevieWonders
March 21st, 2021, 11:27
To bring you right up to date bucknaway I was in Silom Soi 4 in the early part of the evening yesterday. G’s restaurant was no busier than Wednesday evening although Cameron the somewhat flamboyant owner of Pride - formerly Spanish/Tapas on 4 - (a bit of a competition as to whether he or G is the more flamboyant) was dining there with half a dozen deeply unattractive Asian guys in (possibly) their early thirties.

gerefan2
March 21st, 2021, 22:06
was dining there with half a dozen deeply unattractive Asian guys in (possibly) their early thirties.

And to complete this scene of unattractiveness in walks the infamous Silom 4 “Ménage a Trois”.

Led by “Steviethinksheiswonderful” with his pen pals “frequent” and “wingnut”. The gruesome threesome.

I can see it now ....

arsenal
March 22nd, 2021, 05:30
No no grtefan2. That's my good friend Bernard, now known as Bernadette.

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?21962-The-modern-gay-heretic

StevieWonders
March 22nd, 2021, 05:41
No no grtefan2. That's my good friend Bernard, now known as Bernadette.

Dodger
March 22nd, 2021, 11:04
To bring you right up to date bucknaway I was in Silom Soi 4 in the early part of the evening yesterday. G’s restaurant was no busier than Wednesday evening although Cameron the somewhat flamboyant owner of Pride - formerly Spanish/Tapas on 4 - (a bit of a competition as to whether he or G is the more flamboyant) was dining there with half a dozen deeply unattractive Asian guys in (possibly) their early thirties.

I'm sure bucknaway benefited greatly from this slice out of your twisted "queen diary":

I guess with all the flamboyant and deeply unattractive people sitting together enjoying themselves, you must have been sitting alone in a dark corner (as always) ready to remind them all how flawed and imperfect they are.

"Likes"
Stevieclueless, wingnut, mr. giggles, frequent

StevieWonders
March 22nd, 2021, 12:14
I'm sure bucknaway benefited greatly from this slice out of your twisted "queen diary"Surely you mean “twisted queen” diary or even “twisted queen diary”? twisted “queen diary” does not compute.

arsenal
March 22nd, 2021, 12:55
"Stevieclueless, wingnut, mr. giggles, frequent"

You forgot argosy.

Dodger
March 22nd, 2021, 13:26
"Stevieclueless, wingnut, mr. giggles, frequent"

You forgot argosy.

Correction:

"Likes"
Stevieclueless, wingnut, mr. giggles, frequent, argosy.

MikaQ5
March 22nd, 2021, 20:22
Dj Station + it's surrounding bars ,and GOD were packed on Saturday night
Balcony + the soi was full up to about 11pm
Dream/ fresh boys looks the same as a night from 2019
Loads of gay nightlife at the weekends not as much weekdays (same as pre Covid etc )

StevieWonders
March 22nd, 2021, 23:02
Dj Station + it's surrounding bars ,and GOD were packed on Saturday night
Balcony + the soi was full up to about 11pm
Dream/ fresh boys looks the same as a night from 2019
Loads of gay nightlife at the weekends not as much weekdays (same as pre Covid etc )Gosh I miss Pattaya.

latintopxxx
March 23rd, 2021, 01:47
....eh...that sounded like BKK...not Pats....

MikaQ5
March 27th, 2021, 19:06
Gosh I miss Pattaya.

That was Bkk I was talking about tho ,Pattaya from what I can see ( after a day ) is really struggling
Nice boys is still open tho

gerefan2
March 27th, 2021, 19:45
That was Bkk I was talking about tho ,Pattaya from what I can see ( after a day ) is really struggling
Nice boys is still open tho

There is usually more life in Jomtien Complex. But many bars closed tonight . Fu**ing Election Day tomorrow (Sunday). No booze, theoretically.

aot871
March 29th, 2021, 01:34
Is Cock a 2 bar still open in jomtiem complex?

Ruthrieston
March 29th, 2021, 12:32
Yes, Cocka2 is open and thriving

dab69
March 31st, 2021, 09:46
I'm sure bucknaway benefited greatly from this slice out of your twisted "queen diary":

Dairy Queen Twist

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fot-foodspotting-production.s3.amazonaws.com%2Freviews%2F836490%2Ft humb_600.jpg%3F1315092543&f=1&nofb=1