PDA

View Full Version : Another Songkran Likely Very Muted

Manforallseasons
March 17th, 2021, 11:09
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2084655/songkran-splashing-likely-to-be-banned

The small Covid-19 panel will likely propose a ban on all forms of water splashing, use of powder paste and foam parties during the Songkran festival in April.

Khao San Road, one of the popular splashing sites, may also be closed, Culture Minister Itthiphol Kunplome said after the cabinet meeting on Tuesday. The decision to do so lies with Bangkok Metropolitan Administration.

The Culture Ministry has concluded that only traditional activities will be allowed during the upcoming Songkran. They include giving food to monks, sprinkling Buddha images and paying respects to senior people.

Fun activities, especially splashing and applying powder paste on other people, will have to be skipped amid the emergence of a new cluster, said Mr Itthiphol.

Nirish guy
March 17th, 2021, 17:29
I feel your pain - as today is St Patricks day in Ireland and there's not a pub open or a drop of Guinness to be had ( on draught) in the whole Country !

I'm sure poor St Patrick would be turning in his grave at the very thought of it !

Edit - i'm sure knowing us careless rule breaking Irish if I looked hard enough a pint would be available SOMEWHERE - but as that would be both breaking the law re Covid lockdowns and the SPIRIT of the law re trying to beat this bloody thing I'll not even be trying to look and am off shortly for a healthy walk up a mountain no less ! ( God help me !)

Dodger
March 17th, 2021, 19:29
......today is St Patricks day in Ireland and there's not a pub open or a drop of Guinness to be had ( on draught) in the whole Country !

No pubs open in Ireland on St. Pats Day????????

I'm not even Irish but if they tried closing the Irish Pubs in Chicago on St. Pats there'd be a riot.

And God help any Chinese who are wandering the streets after midnight.

gerefan2
March 17th, 2021, 19:40
No pubs open in Ireland on St. Pats Day????????

I’m in Thailand, but I do know there are no pubs open in ANY part of the UK and haven’t been for months. They won’t be open for some time to come.

Lucky we are both here!

Nirish guy
March 18th, 2021, 00:51
...... I do know there are no pubs open in ANY part of the UK

Well now.....on one hand the is quite correct where Ireland certainly is concerned but I'm also pleased to report that as one would expect there was the odd pub back door opening and closing quite a bit today in the village I was in and pints of Guinness were being dispatched to the waiting "in the know' few who were sitting outside. But it really was "a few" pints for those in the know and yes in effect everywhere is and was genuinely closed today - I never thought I'd live to see the day ! Mind you as you'd expect there was a healthy queue at the off licenses and plently of pics of people out enjoying drink and the sun in their gardens ( with friends they shouldn't have had there !) as the weather was lovely here today.

I myself was PERFECTLY behaved today and my day consisted of nothing more illegal than us (unknowingly) walking along a short mountain bike cycle path route which was half way up a mountain in the middle of nowhere and then having to listen to some sole lycra clad dickhead trying to tell us off for it seems apparently ruining his entire day / life apparently as now he had to cycle past us ( imagine that !). Needless to say he was told to wind his neck in and when he persisted was then told where he could stick his bicycle pump as we proceeded on with our walk.

Meanwhile, aside from him the silence and scenery was superb and we rounded up the day with a ice cream in the small town at the foot of the mountain .......defintely the driest St Patricks day I've EVER had since I was about 13 ! ( we start early young here in Ireland :)

Meanwhile ( and to get back on the thread ).....lets than Songkran maybe isn't JUST as dry ! ( Although some people may well say that that would be a marked improvement perhaps if it was !!)

latintopxxx
March 18th, 2021, 05:18
...lovely photos...had no idea Ireland was so pretty...have this image of a cramped damp place..

Nirish guy
March 18th, 2021, 19:12
These Pics are on Northern Ireland.....that cramped dark place you're thinking of.....thats Southern Ireland....... lol ( I'm joking of course) - given the right weather Ireland north or south can give any where a run for it's money in terms of beauty and scenery for sure.