View Full Version : I Retired to a Beach Town in Thailand on $2,500 a Month

Dodger
March 11th, 2021, 08:52
I stumbled across the article posted below and found it interesting. Not too much information here that we don’t already know, but this story may be useful to any newbies out there planning to take the leap.

MarketWatch

Published: March 10, 2021 at 12:01 p.m. ET

By
Silvia Ascarelli

Pete Bowen landed in Thailand in 2009 with a suitcase and a guitar, looking for a spot to retire. He knew no one in the country. Nearly 12 years later, he says his life in a beach town on the western side of Thailand’s Phuket Island is “living in paradise.”

Bowen, now 70 years old, admits his decision to sell his house and all his belongings in just three months, after being laid off from his job in the Bay Area in 2009, was somewhat impulsive. “My adult children had left, and I wasn’t in a relationship,” he says. He also figured his job prospects weren’t very good, so there was no reason to stay in the U.S. “I decided to throw the dice.”

He’d been to Thailand before and knew he wanted to live by the beach, not in a big city like Bangkok. But even as he headed to Phuket, he kept his options open. Would Cambodia work? What about Vietnam? The Philippines? Malaysia? He visited other spots, he says, but he kept coming back to Thailand.

People were friendlier — he keeps mentioning the smiles he’d get — and he appreciated the country’s “live and let live” attitude.” And of course there’s the weather — temperatures in the 80s in February, T-shirts and shorts every day. It took six months to decide that Kamala Beach, a two-traffic-light town, was the right spot. “Once here, living at the beach, I got to know people fairly quickly,” said Bowen, who wrote a book about retiring in Thailand early in his Phuket life and now posts videos. “That’s what kept me coming back. And it was fun. Just fun.”

Kamala Beach has a small but closely knit expat community, he says. The native English speakers tend to be Australian or English, not American. Thais generally know a little English. He met his Thai wife, Oorathai, better known as Puy, while she was having a cup of coffee. They’ve been married for eight years.

“We go out a couple nights a week and always run into friends,” he says. “I know all the bar and restaurant owners. We’ll have dinners with a dozen friends every few weeks. It would be tough to leave this close community at this point.”

Bowen was last in the U.S. three years ago and says he uses Skype and Zoom to keep up with family. After he married, he couldn’t get a U.S. visa for his wife to meet family, and they’ve only been able to meet her on Zoom. Now, he says, he and wife generally spend three months during Thailand’s rainy season traveling in Europe (COVID times being an exception). And when they want to travel in Asia, Phuket’s status as a tourism mecca means there’s no shortage of flights for less than $100.

Phuket isn’t for everyone, he admits. “One of the hardest things is just how far away from the U.S. Thailand is,” he says. “It takes 24 hours of flying to get home. People who want to see the grandkids are going to be out of luck. It’s just not for everyone.” That combined with many Americans’ slim vacation days also means visitors are infrequent. Among Bowen’s family, only his daughter has visited. Bowen also notes that while Phuket is great for single men, it may be less appealing for others.

“I don’t see many retired couples or single women retire here,” he says. “For couples honestly, there are many beautiful young single women who would love to meet a foreign man. Couples should have a strong relationship to last here.”

His advice? Test your dream retirement spot for a few months before committing to it.

WHAT IT COSTS

Bowen says his monthly budget of $2,500 is covered by his Social Security check of $1,800 plus investment income. He rents a two-bedroom, two-bathroom house for $580 a month; a one-bedroom house or apartment can easily be found for $400 a month, he says. Other parts of Thailand that are great places to live are even cheaper, and life can be cheaper yet in other parts of Southeast Asia, he notes.
Foreigners aren’t required to have health insurance. Bowen spends $1,800 a year for what he describes as a bare-bones policy that will cover about $15,000 in expenses, or what he says is enough to cover a major health problem at a public hospital. A doctor’s visit costs $10, but pharmacists can handle many problems.

He has opted out of Medicare and no longer pays premiums. Bowen spends $20 a month for high-speed internet plus $15 a month for an unlimited cellphone plan. He relies on football and basketball internet packages for his U.S. sports fix. As for food, beef is expensive but seafood is reasonable. “Going out to eat is ridiculously inexpensive,” he adds. What else is pricey? Wine, he says — “it’s $15 for anything decent.” New cars are another one. He owns a car — a 10-year-old Mazda 2 with only 15,000 miles — but says he uses a motor scooter around town. He warns that driving in Thailand is dangerous and death rates from crashes are high.

The bottom line for Bowen is there’s no going back to the U.S.

Kamala Beach, he says “ is gorgeous — it really is one of the most beautiful places in the world.”

The government requires that you have income of 65,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank every month; that’s less than $2,200 at early 2021 exchange rates). Alternatively you can keep 800,000 baht (more than $26,000) in a local bank account.

Bowen says he arrived without a visa and now has to let Thailand’s immigration office know every 90 days, either online or in person, that he is still there. Those who find that frustrating can hire an agent to handle it, as some of his friends do.

cdnmatt
March 11th, 2021, 09:16
Cool, kudos to him for finding happiness. I'd be curious as to what his family thinks of him living in Thailand instead of Murica #1.

$2500/month sounds about right for a nice life. That's about what we'd spend per-month in Khon Kaen. Provides a life that's nothing extravagent, but comfortable and you never go without. Far more realistic than some of these posts / videoes you see of "how to live like a king in Thailand for $500/month".

Dodger
March 11th, 2021, 10:28
$2500/month sounds about right for a nice life. That's about what we'd spend per-month in Khon Kaen. Provides a life that's nothing extravagent, but comfortable and you never go without. Far more realistic than some of these posts / videoes you see of "how to live like a king in Thailand for $500/month".

Totally agree.

This is close to my monthly living expenses in Bang Saray as well. Most of my expat friends who are scattered around the Kingdom spend about the same.

The expense that varies the most, as we all know, is missing from Pete Bowen's story, and that's how much $$$ his young Thai wife and her family are draining from his account.

The magic involved with being able to afford to live happily in Thailand, has more to do so with ones ability to avoid getting sucked dry (meant literally) by the money boys and girls, than it does a persons actual income.

cdnmatt
March 11th, 2021, 11:34
Yeah, that always takes a balancing act. It can become a money suck for completely legitimate reasons, and nothing nefarious at all. For example, if wife / husband's mom falls really ill which tends to happen to old people, and accrues medical expenses, what do you do? Say, "sorry, I'm going to let your mother suffer at home without medical treatment, because I didn't marry no gold digger!". That'd be kind of rude, not to mention, probably wouldn't bode well for your sex life, haha.

I'd still be interested as to what people close to him back in the US think about him giving up the US for Thailand. Over here everyone acts as if I'm "quitting the team", which I don't understand, because that doesn't even make sense.

Dodger
March 11th, 2021, 13:57
I'd still be interested as to what people close to him back in the US think about him giving up the US for Thailand. Over here everyone acts as if I'm "quitting the team", which I don't understand, because that doesn't even make sense.

Good question, and also the one element of moving to Thailand that still gives me some heartache. I'd be lying if I said this any other way.

Most of the friends I grew up with are now scattered across the U.S. working and raising families of their own - so no big deal there, but being half a planet away from my family members isn't so easy. Like Pete Bowen in the article, I use Skype...e:mail...phone calls, etc. to stay in touch, but, as far as ever being the grandfather that's sitting on a backyard swing sipping lemonade and bouncing his grandkids on his knees...that day will never come.

latintopxxx
March 11th, 2021, 14:10
Americans are used to moving to warmer climates to retire...less adventurous move within the US to Florida...some to Mexico..and even south america...personally I like having the 4 seasons...maybe i;'d hate them if i lived in a Chicago where winers are harsh...but mine are much milder...i spent some time in Singapore and every day was the same...monotonous...always hot and humid...fun for the forst month but after a year I lionged for a crisp winters nmorning...maybe I'll change my mind when I'm as old as most of you and crave warmth year round

goji
March 11th, 2021, 17:26
Bowen says his monthly budget of $2,500 is covered by his Social Security check of $1,800 plus investment income.

$2500 gets 76,000 baht per month, or 2533 baht per day. Excluding medical costs and assuming he's not needing to hire prostitutes every day of the week, living on that ought to be easy.

However, eventually he will need to consider medical costs.
Also, we should stress test the finances. The main component of that income is $1800 social security. Let's assume his other investments are also in USD & keep up with inflation.
If exchange rate falls to 20 baht over the next 10 years, he's getting just 50,000 baht per month.

So I'd want a bigger safety margin.

Although once he's reached a certain age, he has to make decisions based on the money he does have, rather than what he would like to have.

StevieWonders
March 11th, 2021, 18:14
The cost of his health insurance will rise steeply over the next 10 years based on the current published premium tables. As he’s married his income/capital requirement is 50% of what’s quoted: 400,000 not 800,000.

Dodger
March 13th, 2021, 07:27
The cost of his health insurance will rise steeply over the next 10 years based on the current published premium tables.

He also stated he had a bare-boned insurance policy which only provides around $15,000 (435,000 baht) coverage which he feels would cover a major health concern in a private hospital. I choked when I read that. 435,000 baht may be enough to cover a major medical expense in a government (state) hospital, but a private hospital would probably charge a hell of a lot more.

StevieWonders
March 13th, 2021, 08:46
He also stated he had a bare-boned insurance policy which only provides around $15,000 (435,000 baht) coverage which he feels would cover a major health concern in a private hospital. I choked when I read that. 435,000 baht may be enough to cover a major medical expense in a government (state) hospital, but a private hospital would probably charge a hell of a lot more.I always use the not-for-profit private hospitals in Bangkok - either Saint Louis up on Sathorn or Bangkok Christian on Silom. Last time I looked (some few years ago now) the daily bed rate at Saint Louis was nudging 5,000 baht, and then there’s the medical costs on top. What people fail to realise is that sickness isn’t the only cause of hospitalisation - accidents are a large percentage I’d guess. As I believe I’ve said before I always send my boys to Bangkok Christian (and pay for it) so I’ve a reasonable handle on costs. A friend of mine goes to BNH on the basis that that’s where major international airlines send their crew members if required. Way, way overpriced but you do get a good class of flunkey.

Armando
March 13th, 2021, 10:40
There are also the public hospitals which I know some expats use. Many of the doctors at Chulalongkorn Hospital off Rama 4 only spend 1 or 2 days a week there. The others they work at places like BNH and Bumrungrad. Costs are vastly cheaper but then you come up against admin staff and nurses who speak virtually no English and getting an appointment means being there between 6:00 am and 7:30 am. A non-urgent procedure may require a wait of 3 months whereas it can be done almost the same day at the private hospitals.

For anyone on a bare bones medical plan, a public hospital may be the only option.

As StevieWonders pointed out, it's vital to factor in to a budget the older you get the more quickly premiums will rise.

christianpfc
March 13th, 2021, 16:31
In Patong, all food (even foodcourt in supermarket) costs at least twice as much than elsewhere in Thailand. He is Kamala which I assume is similar.

Bowen says he arrived without a visa and now has to let Thailand’s immigration office know every 90 days, either online or in person, that he is still there. Those who find that frustrating can hire an agent to handle it, as some of his friends do.
There must be a mistake in this statement.