PDA

View Full Version : Thailand Plans to Allow Foreigners to Quarantine in Resorts

cdnmatt
March 5th, 2021, 08:58
https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-economy-tourism/thailand-plans-to-allow-foreign-tourists-to-quarantine-in-resorts-idINKCN2AW12K

The hotel quarantine plan is expected to start in April or May in the provinces of Phuket, Krabi, Surat Thani, Chonburi and Chiang Mai, Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn told reporters after meeting with tourism operators and health officials.

“Why these provinces? They are popular among tourists who usually stay for quite a long time, for one to three months,” he said.

Tourists would be quarantined for two weeks but if they test negative after three days they will be allowed out of their rooms in the hotel area

Well, that doesn't sound too bad then...

Armando
March 5th, 2021, 10:22
https://www.reuters.com/article/thailand-economy-tourism/thailand-plans-to-allow-foreign-tourists-to-quarantine-in-resorts-idINKCN2AW12K

Well, that doesn't sound too bad then...
It's just another of these endless proposals. Nothing has been agreed.

cdnmatt
March 5th, 2021, 10:50

Politicians gonna plitik?

StevieWonders
March 5th, 2021, 11:07
Government ministers the world over float potential policies either to gain traction with their colleagues or to gauge public opinion. A good recent example is the UK government minister who was adamant in a television interview that there would be no UK vaccine passports and travelers would have to rely on a GP’s letter in order to travel overseas (reported here by Moses if I recall correctly) only to find the UK Prime Minister say a few days later that such a thing is under “active consideration”.

goji
March 5th, 2021, 13:15

Agreed.
However, there are already people on "golfing quarantine" trips, where they are allowed out to play golf. So some sensible moves around the edges. For the people who would find playing golf an improvement upon sitting in their room all day.

What we really need is a "****ing quarantine", where you hire a boy off Grindr and pair up for 15 days. Zero chance of that getting approved.

Nirish guy
March 5th, 2021, 20:11
Agreed.
However, there are already people on "golfing quarantine" trips, where they are allowed out to play golf. ...... What we really need is a "****ing quarantine", where you hire a boy ......

Hang on I demand equality !! If golfers can have their quarantine and play 18 holes I demand that we're giving the same courtesy ! So, 18 holes for us in 14 days I think sounds MORE than reasonable too ! :-)

jolyjacktar
March 10th, 2021, 21:17
Sit in a hotel for 2 weeks of a holiday in Quarantine what a complete waste of money and holiday, rather stay at home until this is over. Still you always find some people that need to go all that way to see a boy or two on stage with a phone glued to there hand and looking real uninterested.

cdnmatt
March 10th, 2021, 21:20
Sit in a hotel for 2 weeks of a holiday in Quarantine what a complete waste of money and holiday, rather stay at home until this is over. Still you always find some people that need to go all that way to see a boy or two on stage with a phone glued to there hand and looking real uninterested.

Yeah, because staying at home quite obviously is keeping you cheerful as can be.

Blueskytoday
March 11th, 2021, 03:58
The requirement of having to have an insurance policy of USD100,000 ,,, Thailand to my knowledge is the only country requiring such...could be wrong..and it seems difficult to buy such as might be costly.....

StevieWonders
March 11th, 2021, 04:13
The requirement of having to have an insurance policy of USD100,000 ,,, Thailand to my knowledge is the only country requiring such...could be wrong..and it seems difficult to buy such as might be costly..... Here is the complete list of countries that you cannot enter without travel insurance:

Schengen countries.
Cuba.
Ecuador.
Iran.
Turkey.
Morocco.
Thailand.
The UAE.
Togo.
Algeria.
Romania.
Croatia.
Moldova.
Georgia.
Aruba.
Cambodia.
Lebanon.
Seychelles.
Antarctica.

https://visaguide.world/travel-insurance/countries-mandatory-travel-insurance/

StevieWonders
March 11th, 2021, 04:47
The requirement of having to have an insurance policy of USD100,000 ,,, Thailand to my knowledge is the only country requiring such...could be wrong..and it seems difficult to buy such as might be costly.....Here is a page providing a number of sources to meet the insurance requirement:
https://thaiest.com/blog/covid-19-insurance-for-traveling-to-thailand

goji
March 11th, 2021, 21:35
The requirement of having to have an insurance policy of USD100,000 ,,, Thailand to my knowledge is the only country requiring such...could be wrong..and it seems difficult to buy such as might be costly.....
Mine cost 7500 baht with AXA Thailand. Purchased on a website and the documents were e-mailed within minutes.

Now of course, this is a total rip off. If we calculate the probability of a tourist getting covid and multiply that by the cost of hospital treatment it's a scam. I read something in the Bangkok post stating they were paying out something like 2% of premiums per month and I imagine most tourists insure for no longer than 3 months.

The profitability for this little scam is way in excess of that for normal insurance in a competitive market.

However, an extra 85 baht a day is nothing when comparing holiday in Thailand with staying at home in a UK winter lockdown.
Bear in mind, nice hotels could be had in Bangkok for about 500 baht a day, so the extra costs are mostly offset with discounts.

aot871
March 13th, 2021, 04:33
Do u have to have a thai policy or can you have 1 obtained in your own country. MY standard travel insurance is for $10,000,000 .

Blueskytoday
March 13th, 2021, 05:27
I don't know of anyother country which requires insurance to enter....tooooo many restrictions when you put them altogether to enter....SAD

goji
March 13th, 2021, 06:00
Do u have to have a thai policy or can you have 1 obtained in your own country. MY standard travel insurance is for $10,000,000 .
You need an insurance policy that explicitly states it includes Covid cover and the minimum coverage has to be over $100,000. In English.
So it depends on what the small print on your standard policy says.

StevieWonders
March 13th, 2021, 11:14
You need an insurance policy that explicitly states it includes Covid cover and the minimum coverage has to be over $100,000. In English. So it depends on what the small print on your standard policy says.One small inconvenience - try not to be older than 74. The AXA policy mentioned by goji doesn’t cover those most at risk (the elderly)

lukylok
March 13th, 2021, 21:08
One small inconvenience - try not to be older than 74. The AXA policy mentioned by goji doesn’t cover those most at risk (the elderly)

Which company provides policy for people over 74 ?

StevieWonders
March 14th, 2021, 05:55
The problem with Thailand “opening” can be seen in the current Singaporean policy of nominating COVID-safe countries - their “Green Zone”. Thailand is not one of those countries (neither are Malaysia, Cambodia or Laos). The Singapore Green Zone countries would need to agree to include Thailand - and, let’s face it, what’s in it for them?

The Singaporean government has designated Australia, New Zealand, Brunei, China and Taiwan as “green zone” countries.

Those who are hoping the boys will come flooding back should bear in mind that Laos has a target of 20% of the population vaccinated by the end of this year, with vaccination of the entire population two years away. I understand Cambodia may be in the same position. India has stopped exporting any vaccine at all to Myanmar as a result of the coup. And those countries are relying on gifts of the Chinese junk vaccines.

StevieWonders
March 14th, 2021, 06:24
Which company provides policy for people over 74 ?AFAIK no Thai company does. You’d need to find one in Europe or North America I would guess.

latintopxxx
March 14th, 2021, 07:46
Lord...if i make it to 74...i wouldnt care a coitus about health insurance..have lived long enough...hop on that plane and upon landing grab the nearest brown/olive skinned bubbled butted lubed up ready to go MB and have a good time

StevieWonders
March 14th, 2021, 07:51
Lord...if i make it to 74...i wouldnt care a coitus about health insurance..have lived long enough...hop on that plane and upon landing grab the nearest brown/olive skinned bubbled butted lubed up ready to go MB and have a good timeWe’re discussing the MANDATORY insurance requirement you must have before you can jump on the plane.