PDA

View Full Version : Kho Samui ....

Smiles
February 27th, 2021, 07:30
A friend of mine who is retired and getting ready to move to Thailand in the future (i.e. the virus has past and history). He has been in Thailand 16 times over the years so he is hardly a total newbie.
He has been querying me about Pattaya/Jomtien and a few other places which have a lapping ocean which tinkle his toes.
He is asking me about Kho Samui however I've never been there and do not know any farang in Hua Hin who has.
Any help out there who has spent goodly time in KS?

Please don't bother talking about the Virus, your unbelievable knowledge of the Virus, or about fucking Thai boys in Kho Samui. Thanks.

Dodger
February 27th, 2021, 07:52
I've been to Samui twice...don't plan to return.

Great beaches , if you like a lot of sand...reminds me of Miami...too commercial for my taste.

Bang Saray ticked all the boxes for me. My toes can twinkle in clean water along the beach every morning...great sunsets...clean air (can even see stars at night)...ancient fishing port feel...picturesque mountains as the backdrop...and a short 25 minute putt putt around the bay on the motorbike to Pattaya.

Smiles
February 27th, 2021, 11:58
Thanks Dodger. My friend is looking at 'Bang Saray' on line. He's quickly mentioned the phrase "great contender". :(

wingnut
February 27th, 2021, 12:45
What's wrong with Hua Hin?

arsenal
February 27th, 2021, 13:31
Wingnut wrote.
"What's wrong with Hua Hin?"

The same thing that's wrong with most of the rest of the world. Too far from Pattaya.

GIMP steviewonders.

StevieWonders
February 27th, 2021, 14:19
Wingnut wrote.
"What's wrong with Hua Hin?"

The same thing that's wrong with most of the rest of the world. Too far from Pattaya.

GIMP steviewonders.
Pattaya GIMP - God-awful In Many Ways

gerefan2
February 27th, 2021, 15:02
I’ve been to Ko Samui a few times. Ok for a short time visit but I certainly wouldn’t consider living there. As Dodger says too commercial, but if you get off the beaten track there are still one or two (only 1 or 2) unspoilt beaches.

How long they will last is anyone’s guess.

Some rural areas are quite run down.

Think he would soon tire of it...plus the problem of getting off the island every time you want a break.

snotface
February 28th, 2021, 09:05
...and a few other places which have a lapping ocean which tinkle his toes.

Very wise of your friend to refrain from indulging the joys of toe-tinkling in the lapping ocean (whatever turns you on) until the virus has passed. As we all know, Covid comes in waves.

dinagam
February 28th, 2021, 10:57
For those who are into rock formations with genitalia themes this is the place for a bit of geology stuff.
Besides, some of the guys can be quite daring fashion -wise.

christianpfc
February 28th, 2021, 15:40
Other than beach, what are your friend's priorities?

I like to travel, so living in Koh Samui would be a nightmare for me, having to get on the ferry to mainland every time (or flying, but the airport is owned by airline and prices are high).

I went once in 2011 and it was okay. Don't remember food prices, but taxi were asking for silly money.

Armando
March 1st, 2021, 10:18
Definitely would not recommend Koh Samui if he is looking for nightlife. Friends of mine were there about 4 weeks ago. Spent their time in their expensive hotel and good restaurants. Did check on a few bars. One was packed - but only with farang expats living there, presumably on their weekly night out together.

arsenal
March 1st, 2021, 10:33
"One was packed - but only with farang expats living there, presumably on their weekly night out together."

Were they eating meatloaf? The expats choice.

StevieWonders
March 1st, 2021, 10:54
Were they eating meatloaf? The expats choice.Indeed: https://youtu.be/9X_ViIPA-Gc

https://youtu.be/9X_ViIPA-Gc

francois
March 1st, 2021, 11:19
"One was packed - but only with farang expats living there, presumably on their weekly night out together."

Were they eating meatloaf? The expats choice.

It was a bar that was packed, not a restaurant! Besides, meatloaf is not served in "good" restaurants.

arsenal
March 1st, 2021, 11:45
Oh francois. Where is that famous Gallic sense of humour? Anyway meatloaf is simply a warm terrine and various terrine's are served in the very best eateries.

On another note. Last year saw the deaths of the Roux brothers, Albert and Michel. When they arrived in the UK scampi in a basket was the height of sophistication and Berni Inn was considered fine dining. They, along with Raymond Blanc and Pierre Koffmann introduced classical French cooking to the troglodyte food wise Brits and moved the nation away from the post-war attitude towards food.
RIP Albert and Michel. From a grateful foodie.

Oliver2
March 1st, 2021, 13:44
Ah, Berni's! That dates both of us. We sixth-formers used to consider it the ultimate in sophistication. Six shillings for lunch, the third course of which consisted of what used to called, very appropriately, a "brick" of Wall's vanilla ice cream. Aloi na!

Keith
March 1st, 2021, 15:48
And Chicken Maryland, the height of sophistication, washed down with Blue Nun!

Smiles
March 1st, 2021, 18:15
A pox on all of you.

arsenal
March 1st, 2021, 18:41
"A pox on all of you."

Yes. Maryland Chicken Pox.

Kho Samui would be a very boring place to retire to I think. Bang Saray is a much better option. As Dodger said, a 25 minute ride to Pattaya, perhaps with a stop off at The Glasshouse or Bacca Beach for s refreshing beverage looking at the lapping waters of the Bay of Siam.

Today is my one year tragiversary. A year since I was in Pattaya. Bereft and inconsolable arsenal.

dinagam
March 2nd, 2021, 07:49
It has been quite a wasted year, despite the storming of Capitol Hill.

Smiles
March 3rd, 2021, 06:39
Thanks folks. It looks like my friend has decided to set up tent at Bang Saray ... maybe ... in a normalized field. Which could be a year +.