PDA

View Full Version : Limited Sinovac vaccine for Thailand

StevieWonders
February 9th, 2021, 07:42
Thailand is to take a limited supply of the Sinovac vaccine while still relying on Astrazeneca for its main supply according to this Bloomberg article

Thailand Bets on Chinese Vaccine to Start Rollout From Month End
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-02-08/thailand-bets-on-chinese-vaccine-to-start-rollout-from-month-end

Blueskytoday
February 9th, 2021, 22:01
Good luck taking anything from China....who besides the chinese say it works??? Does WHO say so??

cdnmatt
February 9th, 2021, 23:14
Good luck taking anything from China....who besides the chinese say it works??? Does WHO say so??

WHO has regulatory approval of 50% efficacy.

China's vaccine got 50.3% efficacy in Brazil, so passed with flying colors. :)

Moses
February 10th, 2021, 02:09

The same reply. The same answer: look around you - you already taking half of your home electronics and clothes from China, with 80% probability including your phone, tablet and computer.

And "besides Chinese" about "it works" told 9 countries where vaccination is already started... 17 countries has it ordered.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/17/asia/sinovac-vaccine-asia-efficacy-intl-hnk/index.html

Oh, by the way: if you are really from South Korea then I have good news for you: your govt approved manufacturing of Russian Sputnik V by license in South Korea for to use in Korea and for to export to Middle East

https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=303790

Dodger
February 10th, 2021, 08:32
WHO has regulatory approval of 50% efficacy.

China's vaccine got 50.3% efficacy in Brazil, so passed with flying colors. :)

I love this "50% efficacy" crap.

It's like flipping a coin...heads you win, tails you lose.

I can see it now; A guy walks into an emergency room and is diagnosed with covid 3 months after receiving the vaccine ...and the doctor tells him "tails you lose".

You gotta wonder who's creating these vaccines - epidemiologists or meteorologists?

goji
February 10th, 2021, 14:25
I love this "50% efficacy" crap.

It's like flipping a coin...heads you win, tails you lose.

It's not like that at all. It means your odds of getting covid are reduced by 50%. So heads you win, tails same as before tossing the coin.

Then, what really counts is the probability of getting a very severe case of covid. For most of the other vaccines, the efficacy at preventing severe illness or death is much higher than for preventing infection.

Of course, due to lack of transparency, this is not very clear with the Chinese vaccines.
Then, the 50% efficacy hurdle was OK as a target last year, when we had no vaccine, since 50% is better than no vaccine (0%). Now there are vaccines with over 90% efficacy, 50% is less attractive.

Moses
February 10th, 2021, 17:30
I wonder to tragical posts about Chinese vaccines.

At least for now nobody can say "this country" had stopped using of Chinese vaccine because it low effectiveness.

And we have opposite result - South Africa stopped to use Oxford/AstraZeneca because of low effectiveness. Should I roll up eyes and say something like "Good luck taking anything from UK/Germany"?

P.S. French Sanofi failed to create vaccine at all.

Manforallseasons
February 10th, 2021, 17:51
Is the Russian vaccine called Novichok?

Dodger
February 10th, 2021, 17:59
I wonder to tragical posts about Chinese vaccines.

At least for now nobody can say "this country" had stopped using of Chinese vaccine because it low effectiveness.

And we have opposite result - South Africa stopped to use Oxford/AstraZeneca because of low effectiveness. Should I roll up eyes and say something like "Good luck taking anything from UK/Germany"?

P.S. French Sanofi failed to create vaccine at all.

The Chinese were pretty damn good at creating the virus - so maybe their vaccine will work too.

Moses
February 10th, 2021, 18:13
The Chinese were pretty damn good at creating the virus - so maybe their vaccine will work too.

Well, WHO delegation yesterday published results from their investigation in China. Version what virus was created or just ran from Chinese laboratory has been omitted.

Right now they have 2 main versions:
- virus has been received from animal world
- virus has been delivered to China (Wuhan market) with frozen food from third country

arsenal
February 10th, 2021, 18:23
They're even suggesting the bats may have come from outside China. That's the script the Chinese govt wants. It's possible the WHO will have zero credibility for decades after all this.

Moses
February 10th, 2021, 18:31
It's possible the WHO will have zero credibility for decades after all this.

Oh, yes, how it is possible what virus wasn't originated from China, right? Even when not China but US is responsible for most records in this century about biosecurity accidents...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_laborato ry_biosecurity

arsenal
February 10th, 2021, 19:16
You're confusing me with Steviewonders. I've said my piece.