PDA

View Full Version : Home HIV test on sale in Thailand US$25

wowpow
August 12th, 2006, 16:21
http://www.hivtestbkk.com/index.htm

I picked this up from an ad on www.stickman.com (http://www.stickman.com). Looks promising.

August 12th, 2006, 17:11
Thanks TeePee. Looks like a good website to purchase a home HIV test kit. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this test checks for HIV antibodies in your blood. I am told, it takes three to six months, after exposure to HIV, for your body to develop these antibodies. Therefore, if your exposure was recent, you may have a negative test result, but still have the virus.

wowpow
August 12th, 2006, 18:30
MonkeySee,

Look I don't know if this test is 100% reliable - few things are - or if its unreliable. The website augurs well but you never know.

My understanding is - I did a brief search of their website for confirmation but did not find - in most people the antibodies show up over 3 months after infection but rare cases can take six months and even a year is known.

So if a reliable test shows negative this means negative 3 months ago or a slight chance of longer.

August 13th, 2006, 12:17
in Bangkok recently who swore blind that he had a doctor who gave him a special potion that prevented him from catching HIV.

Try as I could, he wouldn't be convinced otherwise and kept insisting on having unprotected sex..an impossibilty with me as I won't even hold hands unless we are both wearing rubber gloves and insist on any partner wearing a hemetically sealed rubber boiler suit in bed. ( the reason Edith always insists that I and the b/f look like a couple of "old boilers" in bed).

There are some unscrupulous people in Thailand selling fake concoctions...be very wary. :cyclopsani:

August 13th, 2006, 12:56
Thailand; land of wonder.

This is a true story.

I jumped on a sorng tau to Jomtien one morning.
The only other passenger, an overdressed Asian man, struck up a conversation.
He said he had developed a cure for cancer.
I snickered, and wondered why, if that were true, he was riding in a song tau.

Miss Hedy Lamarr said the secret to being glamorous is, stand still and look stupid.
I chortled, and wondered if I should stop following that advice. Was I carrying it too far?

The man looked about, alarm clearly in his rolling eyes!
He pushed the buzzer and positively fled from the bus.
I wondered, is there truth to the advice, when in danger of being assaulted act barking mad?
No wonder, then and there, I decided to carry on with Miss Lamarr's excellent advice; like calla lilies, suitable for every occasion.

But I suppose, however uncomfortable, a boiler suit might work just as well.

August 17th, 2006, 00:51
1) HIV Duo Test - 28 Day Test

The Duo Test is a test that reliably detects HIV infection that occurred just 28 days prior to the test. The test is known as the 'Duo' because it tests for both HIV antibodies as well as the 'P24 antigen. This test is rated as 99.8% accurate.

2) HIV Antibody Test - 90 Day Test

This is similar to the traditional tests that many people receive from GUM clinics except that results are available in 15 minutes, i.e. whilst you are still with the doctor. A small blood sample will be taken. You may prefer the speed of this test to the Duo test (above) if you are unlikely to have been infected in the previous 90 days. This test is rated as 99.9% accurate. This test is available as both a saliva (Orasure saliva test) or as a urine test, avoiding the need for needle pricks in our needle-averse patients. Saliva and urine tests are antibody tests with a standard 90 day "window period".

3) Viral PCR Test - Results from 10 Days

You may also have heard of PCR testing. This is the most sensitive test available and aims to test for HIV infection that occurred as little as 10 days prior to the test. This test is not 100% reliable but it is a guide for those that are desperate for some peace of mind at the earliest opportunity. Similar to the Duo test, a blood sample is sent to a laboratory and results available in about 2-5 days.