PDA

View Full Version : Isan/Thai Food

August 12th, 2006, 11:51
Just a quick mention for the new Thai open air restaurant that has opened up in the land adjoining Yensabi Condo. To access the restaurant you have to go through the gate entrance to Yensabi Condo and just to the right of the building you will find a lovely little Thai owned restaurant, with little tables covered by thatch, fairy lights festooned all over the place and sweet smelling jasmine surrounding the place. It is currently next to a building site, which may put some off, but I like it all the same.

The menu is written in Thai, so you may need to bring a friend along to help with the translation, although the Thai ladyboy waiter(ess) speaks very good English and can assist with your choice. The food is very tasty although again it confused me (as it has done at other places) that when I asked if they have Isan food, the waiter said yes, 'but we also have Thai food'. It appears most of Thailand doesn't think Isan is part of their country! (more Laos or Cambodia I suppose). The music played in the background was Mor Lam, so my friend told me, although I cannot tell the difference between Mor Lam and Luk Thong - I like it anyway. The music, the fairy lights, the thatch covered tables and the gentle breeze made this a very nice experience away from the main roads.

As I said, the food is very tasty, cooked very fresh and not overcooked (too many places tend to overcook their meat dishes) and they will make it 'pet' or 'mai pet' or 'pet nid nawy', up to you (spicy, not spicy, little bit spicy). 3 meat dishes, 2 rice, 1 side vegetable dish and two drinks came in at 300 baht. Not the cheapest place in the world but for me a nice place to eat traditonal Thai and Isan food.

August 12th, 2006, 11:56
It appears most of Thailand doesn't think Isan is part of their country!That is indeed so. If there is a Thai phrase for "country bumpkin" then that is what Thais from elsewhere use to refer to Thais from Isaan

August 12th, 2006, 14:16
The restaurant sounds a delight, and I will give it a try the next time I'm in Pt-ya visiting friends. (BTW: nice review too; succinct and touching what is important). Issaan/Lao food is one of my favourite regional foods in this part of the world. :geek:
As to the other comments i would add that, in addition to Central Thais considering those from Issaan to be from over the hill (bumpkins), most of the people I know from Issaan do not consider themselves Thai. (During the US/Vietnam war there was very strong communist movement in Issaan -which is still there- and there is still a separatist "party"/movement up there.)