PDA

View Full Version : Thailand is #4 for COVID-19 management

StevieWonders
January 28th, 2021, 06:44
An Australian think-tank has produced a “Top Ten” list of countries that have managed the pandemic well. The list is:

New Zealand
Vietnam
Taiwan
Thailand
Cyprus
Rwanda
Iceland
Australia (so there a447)
Latvia
Sri Lanka

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/australia-among-top-10-countries-ranked-for-pandemic-response-nz-tops-list

cdnmatt
January 28th, 2021, 06:47
Obviously I'm biased because I don't know shit about Rwanda, but surprised to see it up there at #6.

Awesome, go Rwanda!

a447
January 28th, 2021, 13:36
Maybe some of those countries ahead of Australia do not see many international visitors, so their numbers are lower.

Australia has not taken a national approach to controlling the spread of the virus, preferring to leave it up to individual states.

Some states have caved in to pressure from the federal government to open their borders but Western Australia slammed the door shut and told the Prime Minister to basically get fucked. (They are from opposing political parties.)

All I know is, we've led a virus-free lifestyle in Western Australia since April last year and we don't even think about it. Life goes on as always, apart from big events (like Australia Day fireworks), which they decided the cancel just to be on the safe side.

So apart from New Zealand, I wouldn't want to be in any of those other countries on that list.

I read with horror about the appalling situation in the UK and America, and just hope that our members from those countries remain safe and sound.

I think Boris should have taken a more "Aussie" approach to the virus. Perhaps he has been too concerned about trying to please too many people but has ended up pleasing none. Is that the case?

Oliver2
January 28th, 2021, 15:07
It helps if you have a relatively high percentage of the population living in rural areas. There are provinces in Thailand that lack large towns and have largely escaped the worst of the virus.

latintopxxx
January 28th, 2021, 15:22
its not only rural areas...in WA the vast majority of peoplke live in stand alone houses unlike sydney and Melbourne where apartment in the city are more common

a447
January 28th, 2021, 16:47
its not only rural areas...in WA the vast majority of peoplke live in stand alone houses unlike sydney and Melbourne where apartment in the city are more common

Yes Latin, you're spot on. Although for some reason there is a push to get more people into apartment living here.

bkkguy
January 28th, 2021, 18:54
An Australian think-tank has produced a “Top Ten” list of countries that have managed the pandemic well.

if they redid the analysis today where do you think Thailand would rate?

StevieWonders
January 28th, 2021, 19:50
if they redid the analysis today where do you think Thailand would rate?You may have fallen prey to the “most recent news is the most significant news” fallacy. Melbourne Australia had a clusterfuck failure in Q4 2020 but Australia is still in the top ten.

After all, Vietnam, currently in the first four, has just been told to prepare for 30,000 new cases

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vietnam-outbreak-idUSKBN29X17V

christianpfc
January 28th, 2021, 20:33
And where is Cambodia in that list? No local transmission, only few limitations of public life. You wouldn't notice if you didn't know.

It's not just management, many other factors and luck play a role as well. Weather conditions that favor or disfavor the spread of Covid. Distribution of population towns or villages. Age distribution of population. Is there anyone over 50 years old in Rwanda? Public health system.

cdnmatt
January 28th, 2021, 21:00
I think Israel should get a mention for their kickass vaccine rollout. Put the rest of the world to shame.

arsenal
January 29th, 2021, 04:05
With regards to Thailand's handling of the situation and as I've pointed out before.

I flew into Thailand from China on 23 January last year. The plane was full and no doubt one of a hundred that did the same that day. The 'checks' at Swampy were cursory at best. So exactly how Thailand escaped the full wrath of covid is anybody's guess.

StevieWonders
January 29th, 2021, 07:19
With regards to Thailand's handling of the situation and as I've pointed out before.

I flew into Thailand from China on 23 January last year. The plane was full and no doubt one of a hundred that did the same that day. The 'checks' at Swampy were cursory at best. So exactly how Thailand escaped the full wrath of covid is anybody's guess.You could make exactly the same comment about Australia and New Zealand who did not close their borders until some weeks later.

Armando
January 29th, 2021, 09:53

I flew into Thailand from China on 23 January last year. The plane was full and no doubt one of a hundred that did the same that day. The 'checks' at Swampy were cursory at best. So exactly how Thailand escaped the full wrath of covid is anybody's guess.
I returned from 10 days in central Vietnam on March 16 last year. Masks had to be worn on the plane. At BKK there were almost no checks.

StevieWonders
January 29th, 2021, 10:09
I returned from 10 days in central Vietnam on March 16 last year. Masks had to be worn on the plane. At BKK there were almost no checks.Do we have any reports from DMK?

a447
January 29th, 2021, 15:19
Some posts unrelated to this thread have been moved here:

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?21852-Vaccination-for-Arabs-and-Jews

Uranus
January 30th, 2021, 14:59
Obviously I'm biased because I don't know shit about Rwanda, but surprised to see it up there at #6.

Awesome, go Rwanda!

Rwanda is a small, clean, and well run country in Central Africa, often nicknamed the Singapore of Africa. Their crackdown on opposition is also similar to Singapore.

Uranus
January 30th, 2021, 15:04
if they redid the analysis today where do you think Thailand would rate?

Cyprus and Latvia would definitely not be on the list. They are now some of the worst hit countries in Europe.

riverdee
January 30th, 2021, 21:48
Maybe some of those countries ahead of Australia do not see many international visitors, so their numbers are lower.

Australia has not taken a national approach to controlling the spread of the virus, preferring to leave it up to individual states.

Some states have caved in to pressure from the federal government to open their borders but Western Australia slammed the door shut and told the Prime Minister to basically get fucked. (They are from opposing political parties.)

All I know is, we've led a virus-free lifestyle in Western Australia since April last year and we don't even think about it. Life goes on as always, apart from big events (like Australia Day fireworks), which they decided the cancel just to be on the safe side.

So apart from New Zealand, I wouldn't want to be in any of those other countries on that list.

I read with horror about the appalling situation in the UK and America, and just hope that our members from those countries remain safe and sound.

I think Boris should have taken a more "Aussie" approach to the virus. Perhaps he has been too concerned about trying to please too many people but has ended up pleasing none. Is that the case?

agreed but think he has now scored points by buying up the vaccines in advance todaythe EU arefurious and threatened to close the borders in Ireland which could have disastrous affects on the country ..........this actions make me glad we are not now a member,and once i get my vaccinations here in UK i can travel again

Nirish guy
January 31st, 2021, 03:03
For reference the EU very quickly rescinded their decision to initiate article 16 and so in effect creating a hard border between Ireland, Northern Ireland and GB.

It’s rare that EVERY party and protagonist involved in the Ireland / Ni / Gb situation, from Governments to ALL political parties in both Counties jumped on the EU to commend their actions so quickly.

As it was such a stupid knee jerk decision me being the cynic that I am I like to think it was nothing more than some EU mandarin sitting perhaps with a few glasses of wine in him, when someone mentioned “ohh maybe they’ll slip our vaccines into the uk through Ni” that he instantly replied “fucking sure they won’t, I’ll close the bloody borders, FUCK Boris !!” Only one finding our two hours later after some civil servant had followed his instruction to the letter he had to bellow “WHAT!!!!??? You did WHAT!?? I was just talking aloud you idiot I didn’t mean you to ACTUALLY do it’!! Oh ffs give me that phone!!” Lol :-)

goji
January 31st, 2021, 19:19
I presume you intended to write "condemn".

The EU commission seem intent on screwing the UK at every opportunity, whilst the EU nations have a more reasonable view.

As for Thailand's covid management, it looks pretty good from where I am. No cases in Chonburi for about a week, so a tad better than my county of residence in the UK.
Everything I need is open, except bars which open tomorrow. Of course, there have been a select few bars open, just not the gay ones.

Now what kind of fool would part with money to come to a country that's warm, sunny, has almost no covid, very few restrictions and loads of obliging lads on the phone apps ?

Finally, although Thailand has managed Covid well, I bet that good management doesn't extend to sending the entire first batch of vaccines to migrant workers in Samut Sakhon.