PDA

View Full Version : Would You Support a No Carry-on Item Policy?

August 12th, 2006, 10:02
Let's get it over with. NO carry on items whatsoever except pills, ID and boarding pass. NO wallets. Minimal clothing, check the coats. You can get rid of those baggage scanners. Get the best metal detetors (and I'm assuming they'd catch any surgically installed metal). The airlines would have to supply on demand, for free, all basic comfort items (like shaving, brushing, ... blankets). A $1000.00 ATM card immediately to anyone who loses his one checked bag and is stranded without clothes and toiletries.

I'd feel safer and would be comforted that it applies to everyone (even the flight crew). There would be no industry rivalries (all electronic devices banned).

The airline industry could ease their profit woes with more income from phones, and perhaps they could drop worries and provide nominal fee internet. But they'd have to stop charging for drinks.

Sure, 20 persons could still smuggle enough liqi-gel "inside" but they wouldn't have batteries or wires! Maybe we'd have to submit to "random probing"? Would taht be too much?

I think it's time. Do you?

August 12th, 2006, 10:50
... general idea is that this is a short term thing. I think all those duty free shops you see in departure lounges would be out of business pretty damn quick if passengers couldn't buy their booze, fags & sweeties, not to mentiion gift items, books, cd's and small electrical products people buy there. I guess they will have to make some kind of stamp or visa form to show what you have just purchased to allow you to take it on, but the airports make a lot of money from either selling their own duty free goods or from the rents they make from duty free shops.

Also, what is gonna happen with luggage charges. I tend to carry on at least one if not two bags plus my checked luggage which all comes in at way over the usual weight limits. Is there gonna be a whole lot of people paying extra baggage costs?

I think airports will probably revert to carry on luggage being alllowed, but it may well end up with the ban on fluids remaining in place. Also I wouldn't mind seeing a permanent ban on mobile phones - I know its a little foolish but I always seem to be the nervous nelly sat next to someone who plays with their mobile at various stages of the flight despite the reminders to switch the damn things off.

August 12th, 2006, 11:29
I think all those duty free shops you see in departure lounges would be out of business pretty damn quick

Certainly something that would not break my heart. I'm there to travel, not shop. But they have to sell safe items only and you are behind the security line, so I suppose you are right, they might have to allow the duty free (but shop on your last leg). But I'd get rid of the stores anyway.

Politely, it's intereseting how much we put consumerism before (what I really see as) the most safety possible.

I'll back out of this discussion here!

August 12th, 2006, 12:37
I am not sure about this one. I mean I get irritated with people hauling everything including the kitchen sink into the aeroplane, but only because I have deep down inside me a fear of dropping out of the sky. So I reckon the lighter the plane the better. As carry-on is not weighed, the extra weight an aeroplane has to carry could be significant.
So I say, do what they are already doing on some air-ways, and limit hand luggage severely, but I wish they would weigh it as well. No more roll-ons, that would be a good start, they look 'orrible any-way, like those shopping trolleys bag-ladies use to haul the booty home.

August 12th, 2006, 16:56
If you got rid of duty free shops airport landing charges (and thus the price of your ticket) would have to go up quite a lot.

August 12th, 2006, 16:57
Putting valuable gear in the hold is the same as giving it away. They don't call Heathrow Thiefrow for nothing and I suspect airports all around the world have the same chancers working there.

August 12th, 2006, 17:35
If you got rid of duty free shops airport landing charges (and thus the price of your ticket) would have to go up quite a lot.

You are quite right. I read a few months ago in the travel pages of a national newspaper in the UK that if duty free and other shopping "airside" was stopped airfares would have to rise at least 20% to compensate the airlines for the increase in landing and aircraft handling fees.

In any case, watch out for the inevitable increase in airport passenger and security tax added to your ticket as a result of the extra security measures being put in place!!!!

Doug
August 12th, 2006, 18:45
I don't understand the problem with duty free. Aren't the shops found after you go through security? I know some airports that deliver the purchases to the gangway so the passengers don't have possession until they board the plane.

August 12th, 2006, 20:37
Like most readers, I've been a frequent flier for many years and I know what I need on board to make my flight endurable (for me, newspapers and a few periodicals and books). I don't require access to a lot of stuff. But as others have mentioned, it's the inconvenience of having to wait for checked luggage and the theft and lost luggage issues that trouble me. Airlines benefit when passengers lug their own bags because it requires fewer ground crew. Suddenly changing the rules will inevitably result in extended total travel times as you wait longer at the carousel.

El Al has the reputation for being the most secure airline. Here's how Wikipedia describes their security practice:

At least six (formerly two) undercover agents accompany each international El Al flight, sitting amongst passengers whilst holstering firearms. All El Al pilots are former Israeli Air Force fighter pilots, and all El Al flight crew members are trained in hand to hand combat. In fact, most El Al employees have served in the Israel Defence Force (since national service is compulsory in Israel for most citizens).
El Al security procedures also require that all passengers be interviewed individually prior to boarding, allowing El Al staff to identify possible security threats. All passengers are classified on a basic 3 tier threat scale: Israelis and Jews are usually classified as the lowest threat, Westerners are usually classified as medium level threats, and Arabs (particularly males) are usually classified as high threat. In addition, all luggage must pass through a decompression chamber; this simulates pressures during flight which may be triggers for explosives [1]. El Al is the only airline in the world that passes all luggage through this special chamber.
The El Al fleet is also the only commercial airline fleet in the world to be equipped with anti-missile countermeasures.
As a result of the tight security, only one El Al plane has been successfully hijacked, in 1968

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Al

August 12th, 2006, 20:58
Personnaly, I think that total nudity in flight with compulsory anal inspection before boarding is the only feasible solution.

Can't wait.

August 13th, 2006, 06:39
Personnaly, I think that total nudity in flight with compulsory anal inspection before boarding is the only feasible solution. Can't wait.

Is this a Chinese custom? Given your challenged height, aren't you worried that the anal probe might pass right through your mouth, m'dear? They might insist that you travel in cargo.

Welcome back, dearie. I thought we had finally shaken the FILTH of Chinese customs, sorry, I mean dust, off our shoes on this board but even little old Sybil can be wrong sometimes.

fedssocr
August 13th, 2006, 07:07
until the airline can assure me that my expensive camera equipment and computer, when I travel with it, won't be lost, stolen, or broken in the checked luggage there's no way in hell I am packing those items in my checked bag.

August 13th, 2006, 09:48
Ditto Thrope. Has Norff-London been in Choinar? Taking adavantage of the great "our boys will support you" special has he?

August 16th, 2006, 01:08
I would personally support a ban on carry-on babies and small children.

Bob
August 16th, 2006, 05:28
I propose that all the airlines place two steel posts at the gateways and those persons who are horizontally challenged can't get on the plane unless their ass (and the rest of them) fits between the posts.
Quite annoying when the person next to you is occupying his seat and half of yours.
:drunken:

Smiles
August 16th, 2006, 06:44
... I propose that all the airlines place two steel posts at the gateways and those persons who are horizontally challenged can't get on the plane unless their ass (and the rest of them) fits between the posts.
Quite annoying when the person next to you is occupying his seat and half of yours .... "
With an expectation like that Bob, you're going to be highly disappointed when flying Isaan Air ( http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/fo ... 7002#87002 (http://www.sawatdee-gay-thailand.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=87002#87002) ).

Cheers ... :blackeye: :blackeye: :blackeye:

wowpow
August 19th, 2006, 06:30
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v27/wowpow/checkin11.jpg

August 19th, 2006, 13:00
Ridiculous idea.
Airlines lose checked luggage all the time.
You would have to be daft not to carry your essentials with you, certainly your wallet and anything that you absolutely couldn't deal with being lost.

bao-bao
August 19th, 2006, 21:09
I'm somewhat torn on this one. I don't have a desire to become fish food on my way to LOS and riding a fireball to my next life would be a LONG ways down my list, too, but this knee-jerk way we have of reacting after something tragic happens is also discouraging.

I didn't spend a lot of time researching global numbers on this, but think about it for a minute: According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics for the period ending May of this year, there were 658,000,000 people on 10,321 flights in the United States (representing data of the 12 months ending May 2006). Add to that the rest of the world's air flights and I'd imagine you'd get some staggering numbers.

With those numbers in mind, what are the odds of being on a flight where you'd be killed, anyway? I guess that's being a bit fatalistic about it, but just as food for thought. If I let air disasters in general get to me I'd be like my brother, who hasn't set foot on a plane since 1973.

There has to be SOME semblance of security, of course... but when all of the contracts are being awarded to the lowest bidder, we aren't all that safe even with it.

And, by the way -- The Transportation Security Administration states that you CAN take items from duty free shops for direct flights only delivered to the passenger at the jet bridge by Duty Free personnel.

http://www.tsa.gov/
http://www.transtats.bts.gov/

Marsilius
August 20th, 2006, 02:21
It's interesting to see how the tide has turned with this poll.

At the start, I seem to recall it was roughly two-to-one in favour of the "no carry on" idea. That has gradually but consistently turned around until today a majority opposes it.

I guess that the further we get away in time from the latest scare, the more relaxed we again become.

manfarang-old
August 20th, 2006, 21:12
I guess that the further we get away in time from the latest scare, the more relaxed we again become.
Or, perhaps, less panicked.

Dboy
September 2nd, 2006, 07:21
I agree on getting rid of Duty Free shops. Selling flammable liquids to passengers right before they board a plane seems like a bad idea to me.

I very much do NOT agree with getting rid of carry on luggage. I never check baggage because its less risk to me! If your baggage is checked then it can be tampered with. Don't trust anyone, especially airport employees, cab drivers, and law enforcement. They are the threat..not passengers, because they are the ones with access to everything. What is being done to handle these insider threats?

Dboy

manfarang-old
September 2nd, 2006, 22:01
I found this Newsweek International column comparing current airline security with the security in "super-max" prisons interesting:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14569998/site/newsweek/