PDA

View Full Version : UK introduces Covid tests and quarantine for all travellers

Manforallseasons
January 17th, 2021, 07:46
https://pattayaone.news/last-flights-back-to-uk-before-travel-corridors-axed-thailand-on-list/

cdnmatt
January 17th, 2021, 08:20
The UK is just implementing this now? Little late, don't you think?

I think Canada has had manadatory 14 day self quarantine in place since March for everyone across the board, no exceptions, even if you're a citizen. When you enter Canada you're required to provide your quarantine plan to immigration that includes how you're getting home, who's buying your groceries while you're in quarantine, and so on. If the immigration officer doesn't think you have a solid plan, you get shoved in a hotel for 14 days.

StevieWonders
January 17th, 2021, 08:43
The UK is just implementing this now? Little late, don't you think?

I think Canada has had manadatory 14 day self quarantine in place since March for everyone across the board, no exceptions, even if you're a citizen. When you enter Canada you're required to provide your quarantine plan to immigration that includes how you're getting home, who's buying your groceries while you're in quarantine, and so on. If the immigration officer doesn't think you have a solid plan, you get shoved in a hotel for 14 days.A “quarantine plan” is as effective for travellers as the speed limit is for drivers. It’s largely self-policing, and many people will apply the “just this once” rule to themselves if they want to break quarantine. The only truly effective quarantine measures are of the “lock ‘em up” variety, as in Thailand, New Zealand & Australia, all of which operate on the user pays principle.

cdnmatt
January 17th, 2021, 09:10
A “quarantine plan” is as effective for travellers as the speed limit is for drivers. It’s largely self-policing, and many people will apply the “just this once” rule to themselves if they want to break quarantine. The only truly effective quarantine measures are of the “lock ‘em up” variety, as in Thailand, New Zealand & Australia, all of which operate on the user pays principle.

Yeah, true enough. I guess Canada does have health officials that call and check up on you, and send out police if needed, but still... obviously didn't work very well anyway, as pretty much the entire country is in lockdown right now, with different provinces being more strict than others.

I like Taiwan's way of doing it. You're required to install a mobile app upon arrival before leaving the airport, which naturally has GPS tracking. If your phone ever leaves your designated quaranite residence, authorities are immediately notified, pick you up and throw you in jail for the duration of your quarantine.

They will call you at random times, and you're required to pick up. No excuses or exceptions allowed -- if you don't pick up, authorities come get you, and again throw you in jail for the duration of your quarantine.

Seems to have worked well for them at least, just look at their case count.

gerefan2
January 17th, 2021, 09:19
Perhaps the mods would care to amend the newspaper grabbing headline of this thread to read something more reasonable such as “UK introduces Covid tests and Quarantine for all travellers”

StevieWonders
January 17th, 2021, 09:49
I like Taiwan's way of doing it. You're required to install a mobile app upon arrival before leaving the airport, which naturally has GPS tracking. If your phone ever leaves your designated quaranite residence, authorities are immediately notified, pick you up and throw you in jail for the duration of your quarantine.Remind us, what’s the population density of Taiwan vs. Canada?

goji
January 17th, 2021, 14:41
The thread title is fiction and has nothing to do with the content.

MFAS calls wolf again.