PDA

View Full Version : Masks

gerefan2
January 16th, 2021, 21:12
How to spot the falang!

Ruthrieston
January 17th, 2021, 07:39
To be honest I am quite shocked by the number of farang walking the streets of Pattaya with no mask on at all, or with the mask hanging off their faces. I don't understand why the police are not fining them the 20,000 Baht that Chonburi province has stated for failure to wear a mask.

StevieWonders
January 17th, 2021, 08:00
To be honest I am quite shocked by the number of farang walking the streets of Pattaya with no mask on at all, or with the mask hanging off their faces. I don't understand why the police are not fining them the 20,000 Baht that Chonburi province has stated for failure to wear a mask.The problem with such public health orders is that they have to be “broad brush” to cater for the basically stupid (ie. 50%+ of the population). Masks don’t serve much purpose if you’re by yourself in the open air. This is a virus caught by extended contact in confined areas, and that’s where masks are of most benefit. But that’s generally too subtle an option to form the basis of a public health ruling for most people.

dab69
January 17th, 2021, 08:14
I like underwear worn like that in go go bars.
Usually with more visible excitement.

jvt22222
January 18th, 2021, 07:45
I do wish I could find these on the local mask market.

Armando
January 18th, 2021, 08:02
The problem with such public health orders is that they have to be “broad brush” to cater for the basically stupid (ie. 50%+ of the population). Masks don’t serve much purpose if you’re by yourself in the open air. This is a virus caught by extended contact in confined areas, and that’s where masks are of most benefit. But that’s generally too subtle an option to form the basis of a public health ruling for most people.
I wonder where you get the fact that "this is a virus caught by EXTENDED contact in confined areas ..." I'd like to see your source please. I have always been informed that inhaling just one droplet from an infected person is enough to give you the virus.

Those not wearing masks are endangering not just their own health but that of others should they have somehow caught the virus but not yet show symptoms.

StevieWonders
January 18th, 2021, 08:20
I wonder where you get the fact that "this is a virus caught by EXTENDED contact in confined areas ..." I'd like to see your source please. I have always been informed that inhaling just one droplet from an infected person is enough to give you the virus. You're confusing two different things - "how the virus is caught" with "probability of catching the virus"

Try some technical reading such as https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3223

Armando
January 18th, 2021, 09:38
You're confusing two different things - "how the virus is caught" with "probability of catching the virus"

Try some technical reading such as https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3223
No I am not! As for your BMJ article, given the disastrous rates of infection and death in that country, I would not place much emphasis on an incredibly long article that is almost 5 months old. And if you are not prepared to quote specifically from it, then I am not going to waste a great deal of time reading it.

A January 5 report from the CDC in British Columbia states " Droplets come in a wide range of sizes, from smaller than the width of a hair to larger than a grain of sand. A few large droplets or many small droplets can contain enough virus to infect another person." This guideline is common in the advice of many countries' Disease Control Centres.

StevieWonders
January 18th, 2021, 11:09
... an incredibly long article ... if you are not prepared to quote specifically from it, then I am not going to waste a great deal of time reading it.I don't believe there's a Janet & John version.

Armando
January 19th, 2021, 11:33
I don't believe there's a Janet & John version.
So you did not wade through it all either.

Dodger
January 23rd, 2021, 13:49
Wearing a mask is a no-brainer.

What confuses me is that the majority of people I see are wearing those standard dust collector type masks that you see in Seven Eleven's. Those are OK for stopping you from giving the virus to others - but they won't stop you from getting the virus from others. The masks you want are "KN95" Masks which are rated for "Medical/Hospital Use". I just ordered a resupply of these for Jai and I on Lazada and only paid 70 baht for a box of 10 masks. The prices have come down dramatically since the Big Wave hit early last year.

If you're going to wear the damn things - you may as well wear one that actually works. What a concept!

Patanawet
January 23rd, 2021, 15:25
Wearing a mask is a no-brainer.

What confuses me is that the majority of people I see are wearing those standard dust collector type masks that you see in Seven Eleven's. Those are OK for stopping you from giving the virus to others - but they won't stop you from getting the virus from others. The masks you want are "KN95" Masks which are rated for "Medical/Hospital Use". I just ordered a resupply of these for Jai and I on Lazada and only paid 70 baht for a box of 10 masks. The prices have come down dramatically since the Big Wave hit early last year.

If you're going to wear the damn things - you may as well wear one that actually works. What a concept!

Yes KN95 or N95 are almost the same thing. KN is to Chinese standards and N USA standards. The fibres are somehow electrostatically charged to capture virus particles

latintopxxx
January 23rd, 2021, 15:58
dodger...now that youn have your mouth/nose avenue taken care of...what steps have you taken where your eyes are concerned??

Dodger
January 24th, 2021, 15:07
dodger...now that youn have your mouth/nose avenue taken care of...what steps have you taken where your eyes are concerned??

I don't go anywhere anymore without wearing polarized sunglasses - stopped rubbing my eyes (easier said than done) - don't get close to people (also easier said than done) - and pray like hell this works.

latintopxxx
January 24th, 2021, 16:17
sunglasses are of little help...best thing is if everyone was forced to wear face masks, would stop them from expelling the virus...

StevieWonders
January 24th, 2021, 16:26
I propose making the burqa mandatory for all those whose birth gender is female as well as those who identify as female. There’s half the population covered already.

cdnmatt
January 24th, 2021, 16:29
sunglasses are of little help...best thing is if everyone was forced to wear face masks, would stop them from expelling the virus...

Yes, they can. Obviously not if you're just wandering around the streets, because then you're just being an idiot. However, if you're on a long-haul flight in an airplane for example, they're useful there as you can get infected through the eyes.

As for masks, I bought myself one of these bad boys, haha.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUS28/ref=as_li_qf_asin_il_tl

Doctor's advice. Obviously I don't wear it around town, but will be sporting it when I finally hop on a plane back to Asia. Now just have to wait for the Laos borders to open up again...

StevieWonders
January 24th, 2021, 16:32
Now just have to wait for the Laos borders to open up again...Don’t hold your breath while you’re waiting. Not much if at all before 2022 is my tip.

cdnmatt
January 24th, 2021, 16:38
Don’t hold your breath while you’re waiting. Not much if at all before 2022 is my tip.

Yeah, I know. Even if Laos does open up before then which is quite doubtful, I'm sure they'll require vaccination certificate, and from how things look in Canada I'll be lucky to get a jab anytime this year.

One thought I've had is hitting up NGOs and offering up my services to build up their technical infrastructure in exchange for giving me the essential worker label, but probably a pipe dream.

arsenal
January 24th, 2021, 17:08
Dear Laos NGO dude.
I'm a blind Canadian who was recently deported from Thailand. Would that be the sort of chap you'd be looking for to build up your technical infrastructure?

Form an orderly queue gentlemen.

cdnmatt
January 24th, 2021, 17:43
Dear Laos NGO dude.
I'm a blind Canadian who was recently deported from Thailand. Would that be the sort of chap you'd be looking for to build up your technical infrastructure?

Form an orderly queue gentlemen.

See, now you put me into a predicament. If I went off explaining why I don't believe it would be difficult to land a gig with an NGO you'd scoff at me with, "yeah right Matt, dream on buddy... I'm sure that's true", so what can a guy do? :)

Doubt I would have any issue landing a gig with an NGO, and they'd be happy to have me. Now landing one with reputable NGO who has operations in Laos, both a need for and willingness to have me in Laos, the whillingness to request the Laos government request they permit me entry, and be reputable enough that the Laos government would actually listen.... well, that's a bit of a tall order.

Dodger
January 24th, 2021, 17:53

I know, I already purchased one (see link) but Jai refuses to go to dinner with me when I'm wearing it.

https://www.amazon.com/Seamless-Windproof-Balaclava-Sweatband-Festivals/dp/B07RZZMHCC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Funny+Masks&qid=1611488997&sr=8-3

Nirish guy
January 24th, 2021, 17:58
Doubt I would have any issue landing a gig with an NGO, and they'd be happy to have me. Now landing one with reputable NGO who has operations in Laos, .......

Oh I dont know as I beleive after receiving such bad press in the media of late about such stories that most NGO's are now HYPER sensitive to their their staff in the Countries they're sent to fucking the locals !

And even more so perhaps to their staff setting up house and inviting either one or several twinks to "live in" with said staff member - I think the mere hint of some Gary Glitter style expose´ in national papers back at home would be enough to have then running a mile from such "kind offers of assistance" from kind hearted charitable gays like ourselves - and certainly ones who lets face it only want to work for them as it might suit their own (sexual?) needs in the first place anyway - just a thought..

StevieWonders
January 24th, 2021, 18:26
Oh I dont know as I beleive after receiving such bad press in the media of late about such stories that most NGO's are now HYPER sensitive to their their staff in the Countries they're sent to fucking the locals !

And even more so perhaps to their staff setting up house and inviting either one or several twinks to "live in" with said staff member - I think the mere hint of some Gary Glitter style expose´ in national papers back at home would be enough to have then running a mile from such "kind offers of assistance" from kind hearted charitable gays like ourselves - and certainly ones who lets face it only want to work for them as it might suit their own (sexual?) needs in the first place anyway - just a thought..An excellent point well made. Officially the Lao government discourages sexual cohabitation outside heterosexual marriage and no NGO is going to condone ignoring such a prohibition. Private individuals can generally ignore it with some impunity, individuals associated with Western organisations are unlikely to be given such latitude.

cdnmatt
January 24th, 2021, 19:17

And even more so perhaps to their staff setting up house and inviting either one or several twinks to "live in" with said staff member - I think the mere hint of some Gary Glitter style expose´ in national papers back at home would be enough to have then running a mile from such "kind offers of assistance" from kind hearted charitable gays like ourselves - and certainly ones who lets face it only want to work for them as it might suit their own (sexual?) needs in the first place anyway - just a thought..

Yeah, I know, and like I said, pipe dream. Still going to give it a try though, once I get a few remaining things cleared off my plate. Can't hurt any.

I do know I'm getting tired of Canada though. Back to being a typical Westerner now -- lead a life of quiet desparation so bury your head in work for the once or twice a week you get together with friends / family so you can brag about how well you're doing at work with hopes that will somehow result in happiness. Or a life where the highlight of your week after working for somsone else all week is watching a hockey game on TV Sunday night.

I'm sorry, but I just find that sad. Then everyone thinks I'm delusional for wanting to move back to Asia. "why don't you stay in Canada? it's #1". No....

arsenal
January 24th, 2021, 20:55
"everyone thinks I'm delusional for wanting to move back to Asia."

Erm. That's not the main reason we think you're delusional.

Anyway. All of us are pretty delusional right now. It's our defence against the dark arts of the killer sniffle, the murder martinet, the antibody assassin, the sinus virus...you get the idea.

goji
January 24th, 2021, 21:22
Just get the visa, book the flight, do the quarantine then have fun.
Why bring an NGO into it ?

cdnmatt
January 24th, 2021, 21:26
Just get the visa, book the flight, do the quarantine then have fun.
Why bring an NGO into it ?

Laos has stricter border controls than Thailand, and I'm not allowed in Thailand until April 2023. Myself and immigration had a slight disgreement. :)

Plus, the guy I'm going to be living with lives in Vientiane, so there's that.

a

StevieWonders
January 30th, 2021, 07:03
I was encouraged to see everyone in this photo was wearing a mask - https://english.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2021/1/29/two-gay-men-publicly-lashed-77-times-in-indonesia