PDA

View Full Version : Chinese vaccine effectiveness results

StevieWonders
January 14th, 2021, 16:50
An interesting article from Reuters about the differing results

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-sinovac-explainer-int-idUSKBN29J0M1

cdnmatt
January 14th, 2021, 19:59
Well, I guess at least China is sticking with reputation. Cheap, shitty quality products made with shotty work.

Moses
January 14th, 2021, 20:48
Well, I guess at least China is sticking with reputation. Cheap, shitty quality products made with shotty work.

You are racist.

You are using phones what made in China, you are using computers what made in China, your home is full electronic what made in China. Does it means your home is shitty hole then?

By the way: do you know what nuclear reactors what are used by Canada are manufactured by China? List of main articles in volume over 1 billion USD per year:

Electrical, electronic equipment $6.38B 2018
Machinery, nuclear reactors, boilers $5.00B 2018
Furniture, lighting signs, prefabricated buildings $2.93B 2018
Plastics $1.79B 2018
Articles of apparel, not knit or crocheted $1.78B 2018
Toys, games, sports requisites $1.75B 2018
Articles of iron or steel $1.61B 2018
Vehicles other than railway, tramway $1.38B 2018

cdnmatt
January 14th, 2021, 22:23
I might be racist, but at least I'm not Russian.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding, hence the hypocrisy in the statement. And no, I'm not racist, but that is what China's reputation is. And China didn't design and develop my iPhone and the various other things I use. They just manufactured it all, there is a difference.

Moses
January 15th, 2021, 00:06
but that is what China's reputation is.

Think twice: your, Canadian, smart guy buys in China cheapest in all meanings products and sells them to you with huge profit. And you blame for that Chinese? China may manufacture almost everything, but if your guy buys shit - then you will use that shit.

Maglev in China working since 2004 without troubles. Trains fly btw Shanghai and airport with 430 km/hour and it is still the only existing commercial project in world. Chinese satellite visited Moon and now they are third nation in world which got soil from moon. But you still thinking about Chinese looking on shit what your Canadian neighborhood brings to you from China.

latintopxxx
January 15th, 2021, 00:10
...clever hard working people with an incredible work ethic...the Chinese that is...not that entitled lot living on the fringes of the good old USA

StevieWonders
January 15th, 2021, 03:19
...clever hard working people with an incredible work ethic...the Chinese that is...not that entitled lot living on the fringes of the good old USA
Racism was first defined by the Oxford English Dictionary (2nd edition, 1989) as "[t]he theory that distinctive human characteristics and abilities are determined by race".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism

StevieWonders
January 15th, 2021, 03:36
Think twice: your, Canadian, smart guy buys in China cheapest in all meanings products and sells them to you with huge profit. And you blame for that Chinese? China may manufacture almost everything, but if your guy buys shit - then you will use that shit.

Maglev in China working since 2004 without troubles. Trains fly btw Shanghai and airport with 430 km/hour and it is still the only existing commercial project in world. Chinese satellite visited Moon and now they are third nation in world which got soil from moon. But you still thinking about Chinese looking on shit what your Canadian neighborhood brings to you from China.Absolutely true, and as Bloomberg reports, having thrown much of the world into recession via its most successful export of 2019/20 (coronavirus) China is now beating the world economically:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-01-14/a-year-after-covid-began-china-s-economy-is-beating-the-world

arsenal
January 15th, 2021, 05:57
Reluctantly and with many delays the Chinese govt has at last allowed the WHO investigative team in to find the caused this virus. Expect muted cries of frustration and a semi whitewashed report at the end.

goji
January 15th, 2021, 11:09
Maglev in China working since 2004 without troubles. Trains fly btw Shanghai and airport with 430 km/hour and it is still the only existing commercial project in world.

That's a German system supplied by Siemens.
I suspect it is not a truly profitable commercial enterprise, but one installed so the Chinese can copy the technology. That's why It's a ridiculously short route.

goji
January 15th, 2021, 11:12
Maglev in China working since 2004 without troubles. Trains fly btw Shanghai and airport with 430 km/hour and it is still the only existing commercial project in world.

I suspect it is not a truly profitable commercial enterprise, but one installed so the Chinese can copy the technology. That's why it's a ridiculously short route.

Also a credit to capitalist engineering from Germany.

StevieWonders
January 15th, 2021, 11:35
Reluctantly and with many delays the Chinese govt has at last allowed the WHO investigative team in to find the caused this virus. Expect muted cries of frustration and a semi whitewashed report at the end.
Expect lots of appearances by Elmer (Fudd - Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt, Dissonance: the usual techniques of authoritarian regimes).

arsenal
January 15th, 2021, 11:57
As a thing to do in itself the Maglev is wonderful to ride albeit a little disconcerting to begin with. It's the future of land based high speed travel.

Moses
January 15th, 2021, 13:00
I suspect it is not a truly profitable commercial enterprise, but one installed so the Chinese can copy the technology. That's why It's a ridiculously short route.

It is German system from Siemens what had been developed deeply by Chinese. Original German system had failure with 23 died in 2006 in Germany and was abandoned by Siemens, but Maglev in Shanghai is flying for 16 years already.

I want to remind to these people who trying to look at China from high point of view: this nation gave to world: paper, printing, compass, silk, gun powder and porcelain, and did it long before Christianity appears. They gave writing to Korean and Japanese.

So please stop to blame China for products what your buyers buys in China - what they buy that you use. If you will stop to buy shit from your buyers then they will start to buy normal product in China. Apple and other smart phone "manufacturers" may confirm - China is able to manufacture almost everything.

Open today news: carmakers around the world shut down manufacturing lines because they have shortage of semiconductors. Why? Because stupid Trump and his administration started trade war with China and blocked some deals. China alone makes 18% or world's GDP.

Brad the Impala
January 16th, 2021, 00:56
Reservations continue over the efficacy of Sinovac, the Chinese vaccine.

Data released from a trial of the Sinovac jab in Brazil this week suggested its efficacy was 50.4% – lower than previously thought and only just above the requirement set by the World Health Organization.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/philippines-and-indonesia-back-chinese-covid-jab-despite-efficacy-doubts

Moses
January 16th, 2021, 01:26
Reservations continue over the efficacy of Sinovac, the Chinese vaccine.

Data released from a trial of the Sinovac jab in Brazil this week suggested its efficacy was 50.4% – lower than previously thought and only just above the requirement set by the World Health Organization.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/philippines-and-indonesia-back-chinese-covid-jab-despite-efficacy-doubts

Turkish researchers reported it had 91.25% efficacy - in the same article :)) :)) :)) By the way: Brazil inject SinoVac what they manufactured locally.

here is full story about this "50.4%" and from where this number appears: Science magazine https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/brazil-announces-fantastic-results-china-made-covid-19-vaccine-details-remain-sketchy

StevieWonders
January 16th, 2021, 03:37
Turkish researchers reported it had 91.25% efficacy - in the same article. The more interesting story about China and Turkey is how China withheld supplies of Sinovac until Turkey signed an extradition treaty that may allow China to extradite Uighurs who fled to Turkey to escape anti-Moslem genocide in Xinjiang. There's no such thing as "no strings attached" when dealing with a ruthless dictatorship.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Turkey-accused-of-trading-Uighurs-for-Chinese-vaccine

Brad the Impala
January 16th, 2021, 05:08
Turkish researchers reported it had 91.25% efficacy - in the same article :)) :)) :)) By the way: Brazil inject SinoVac what they manufactured locally.

here is full story about this "50.4%" and from where this number appears: Science magazine https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2021/01/brazil-announces-fantastic-results-china-made-covid-19-vaccine-details-remain-sketchy

These things move quickly and your Science magazine article is already out of date, having been written on 7th Jan. The article that I referenced was written on the 14th Jan, and while it acknowledges:

Turkish researchers reported it had 91.25% efficacy, an Indonesian trial reported 65.3%, while Brazilian research teams said last week that it was 78% effective in preventing mild to severe cases of Covid, only to later clarify that this was just a partial picture.

It goes on to provide the update:

On Tuesday it was announced that the efficacy was 50.4% for all symptomatic infections, including very mild infections where people did not require clinical assistance.

Tuesday was the 12th Jan, five days after the Science magazine article was written.

goji
January 16th, 2021, 09:34
China is able to manufacture almost everything.

Agreed. China can make almost anything.
However, my first concern is quality control. They often seem not to bother and also make no end of fakes. Even fakes of other Chinese brands. Beyond a small number of brands with some level of quality control, I have no idea which Chinese companies make good products.

My second concern is transparency. I want a vaccine that's been through independent double blind trials, with the results published. Not one where the reporting is managed by the Chinese Communist Party.

As for the Russian vaccine, I have no doubt they can design a vaccine and probably make it well. However, again, I want to see independent trial results. I have minor concerns about the influence of Mr Putin as well. However, he's only really poisoned misleading enemies, the big fish, not the likes of me. So that's probably not a concern.
I just want to see trials independent of political influence.

arsenal
January 16th, 2021, 11:13
Chinestines theory of productivity.
China + communism = slapdash + dishonesty - accountability.

Moses
January 16th, 2021, 12:48
These things move quickly and your Science magazine article is already out of date, having been written on 7th Jan. The article that I referenced was written on the 14th Jan, and while it acknowledges:

When we speak about territories and trials such things as outdated are possible only after next trials on the same therritory.
Right now we have efficacy of Sinovac

Turkey 91,25%
Indonesia 63,5%
UAE, Jordan, Bahrein, Egypt 78%
Brazil 78% or 50,4% - depends of which point of view to take.

cdnmatt
January 16th, 2021, 14:11
Or we have Pfizer and Moderna, 95%.

StevieWonders
January 16th, 2021, 14:19
When we speak about territories and trials such things as outdated are possible only after next trials on the same therritory.
Right now we have efficacy of Sinovac

Turkey 91,25%
Indonesia 63,5%
UAE, Jordan, Bahrein, Egypt 78%
Brazil 78% or 50,4% - depends of which point of view to take.

Ultimately all these statistics are meaningless. Apart from those of us who live in Thailand, almost all members live in countries whose governments simply will not license medicines whose test results are not open and transparent. As for the rest us - how much do you trust a country that failed to report the pandemic in a timely manner, seems to have bullied the WHO, commits ethnic cleansing against its own citizens (the Uighurs) and is persecuting the citizens of Hong Kong, all in the past 15 months?

Perceptions matter. The rest is propaganda.

Moses
January 16th, 2021, 18:08
Or we have Pfizer and Moderna, 95%.

Yes. "We have" Pfizer which kills 1 from 1000 :)) :)) And Moderna what needs defibrillator and emergency room to be at next door at time of injection.

Moses
January 16th, 2021, 18:16
As for the rest us - how much do you trust a country that failed to report the pandemic in a timely manner

US, Trump?

seems to have bullied the WHO

US, Trump?

commits ethnic cleansing against its own citizens

US, indigenous people? Concentration camps for own citizens (Japanese), medical experiments of mentally disabled kids?

persecuting the citizens of

... whole world pretending to be world gendarme "it is dangerous for US security so must be eliminated" even if "it" is located on opposite part of the Earth...

what you just said about propaganda?

StevieWonders
January 16th, 2021, 19:22
what you just said about propaganda?What I said was “perceptions matter”. Those mentions of Trump merely reflect your perceptions. As for propaganda I was referencing one of your own posts where you claimed that “everything is propaganda, there is no truth”.

StevieWonders
January 24th, 2021, 04:24
The Economist has updated commentary on the Chinese vaccines:

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2021/01/23/chinas-jabs-may-have-an-important-role

cdnmatt
January 24th, 2021, 04:28
You do know all these links you're posting are behind a pay wall, right?

StevieWonders
January 24th, 2021, 05:28
You do know all these links you're posting are behind a pay wall, right?Not quite, the Economist allows anyone to read a certain number of articles for free if you register your email address. That option is immediately below the subscription offer and begins “Continue reading this article- Register with an email address”.

dinagam
January 24th, 2021, 19:38
The Economist is also part of the imperialist American propaganda...