PDA

View Full Version : Uncertainty Over Availability of Kovid-19 Vaccinations for Expats in Thailand

cdnmatt
January 14th, 2021, 16:42
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1201506-uncertainty-over-availability-of-covid-19-vaccinations-for-expats-in-thailand/?utm_source=newsletter-20210114-1253&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Sounds like no vaccines for expats, maybe not even those who pay taxes and into social security. No word from government about them yet.

StevieWonders
January 14th, 2021, 17:00
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1201506-uncertainty-over-availability-of-covid-19-vaccinations-for-expats-in-thailand/?utm_source=newsletter-20210114-1253&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Sounds like no vaccines for expats, maybe not even those who pay taxes and into social security. No word from government about them yet.How is this different to people in other countries living there on year-to-year or shorter-term visas - Canada for example? A friend’s doctor at BNH says “This is Thailand. Everything is for sale.”

cdnmatt
January 14th, 2021, 17:22
Ohhh, I'm sure everyone in Canada will get a shot, legal or illegal, tax paying or not.

Hell, Canada went and bought about 414 million doses of vaccines, which if they all pan out, means enough to vaccinate the entire Canadian population nearly six times over, so we're good to go. I guess we're in talks with the WHO to donate the leftovers to poorer nations.

Flugg
January 14th, 2021, 19:23
Private hospitals got the green light to import the vaccines themself and independent from government procurement. We will get it from there, long before the goverment is ready. At a premium price though.

bkkguy
January 16th, 2021, 18:30
Private hospitals got the green light to import the vaccines themself and independent from government procurement.

but obviously only after the vaccines are approved by the Thai FDA

Dodger
January 26th, 2021, 17:52
but obviously only after the vaccines are approved by the Thai FDA

Thailand has an FDA??? Now that's scary.

I bet the Head of the Thai FDA has about as much decision-making power as a seven-eleven clerk.

arsenal
January 26th, 2021, 18:51
This could be a new experience for whichever Thai is in charge of the vaccine roll out.

'Well Mr Pfizer/AstraZeneca, we'd love to buy these vaccines from you. Obviously I have personal costs to deal with. I'm looking for a small percentage. Just to smooth things through you understand.'

'Erm. It's like this. Fuck off.

Oliver2
January 27th, 2021, 16:02
I thought it had been widely reported that the vaccine will be available privately for 3000 bht. My guess is that most expats, certainly those whose income is relatively comfortable, will be able to get vaccinated well before the poor farmers of Isaan et al. Or vulnerable hiv patients cross the country.

Dodger
January 27th, 2021, 17:43
I thought it had been widely reported that the vaccine will be available privately for 3000 bht. My guess is that most expats, certainly those whose income is relatively comfortable, will be able to get vaccinated well before the poor farmers of Isaan et al. Or vulnerable hiv patients cross the country.

According to recent news, private hospitals are already buying vaccine, aside from the orders the government is procuring, to do exactly that. I've seen 3,500 baht mentioned several places lately.

I agree about the poor farmers in Isaan being the last people to get the vaccine. The first round will of course go to those "people we can't mention" who float around on golden carpets...the second round will go to the 35,000 generals who wear all those impressive combat ribbons on their uniforms (even though there hasn't been a war in the last epoch)...then Thai middle-class will start forming lines...and possibly around the year 2028, if there's any vaccine leftover in the warehouse inventories, the elderly farmers,(if any are still alive), may possibly get their chance.

Manforallseasons
January 27th, 2021, 18:08
Considering the current worldwide scramble to buy vaccines when private Thai hospitals get any won’t be anytime soon.

cdnmatt
January 27th, 2021, 18:40
Yeah, but even if I could, don't think I'd spend 3500 baht on a placebo. Seems like a waste to me.

arsenal
January 27th, 2021, 19:01
Matt wrote.
"Yeah, but even if I could, don't think I'd spend 3500 baht on a placebo. Seems like a waste to me."

Oh Sir but tish and tosh. Tis but a tickle of the value of but one coin of the bit. Pay the doctor and damn his impudence.

dab69
January 27th, 2021, 21:23
PattayaMail just had an article yesterday about a Vaccine Visa also. Still with quarantine but you get vaccinated,
Supposedly Thailand will begin manufacturing their own vaccines in February under license but it still has yet to be approved for use.

Dodger
January 28th, 2021, 07:34
Supposedly Thailand will begin manufacturing their own vaccines in February under license but it still has yet to be approved for use.

Now that's really scary.

I have one rule I normally abide by: Never buy anything manufactured in Thailand. The "Quality" is on the same level as that cheap throw-away Chinese crap. They wouldn't be sticking that bent needle in my arm.

After 200 years of hosting foreigners on their soil the Thais still can't figure out how to make a pizza. How in the hell are they going to make a complex medical vaccine that's stifled even the most experienced scientists and epidemiologists in the world for over a year???

I'll either wait to get a vaccine that's manufactured by one of the reputable pharma giants overseas - or forego getting the vaccine altogether.

Armando
January 28th, 2021, 10:31
Now that's really scary.

I have one rule I normally abide by: Never buy anything manufactured in Thailand. The "Quality" is on the same level as that cheap throw-away Chinese crap. They wouldn't be sticking that bent needle in my arm.
Seems you have not been to hospital recently. Even in top hospitals like Bumrungrad, they will not prescribe original medications - only the Thai derivatives. This is mandated by the government medical authorities.

StevieWonders
January 28th, 2021, 10:59
Seems you have not been to hospital recently. Even in top hospitals like Bumrungrad, they will not prescribe original medications - only the Thai derivatives. This is mandated by the government medical authorities.The cognoscenti do not buy their drugs from hospitals but from reputable retail pharmacies such as SC Pharmacy on Rama 4 Rd in Bangkok.

latintopxxx
January 28th, 2021, 15:27
i dont place much faith in Thai pharmacies...eons ago when I had a medical emergency...piunk eye... I was waiting not so patiently outside a pharmacy in pattaya waiting for it to open...when they finally did the place was stinking hot...aircon had been turned off...yet most meds need to be stored in dry cool conditions...i always make sure that any meds I buy are still "fresh"...in other words still a long way from the expiry date.

StevieWonders
January 28th, 2021, 15:46
i dont place much faith in Thai pharmacies...eons ago when I had a medical emergency...piunk eye... I was waiting not so patiently outside a pharmacy in pattaya waiting for it to open...when they finally did the place was stinking hot...aircon had been turned off...yet most meds need to be stored in dry cool conditions...i always make sure that any meds I buy are still "fresh"...in other words still a long way from the expiry date.I think you’ve identified the problem exactly and in one word - Pattaya.

dinagam
January 28th, 2021, 16:29
i dont place much faith in Thai pharmacies...eons ago when I had a medical emergency...piunk eye...

The right move to make whenever gushes if ejaculate land on your eyes is not to rub your eyes so as to prevent irritation to the cornea and surrounding delicate tissues. Try to wash off the fluids with copious amount of clean water, preferably distilled.
Always carry a small bottle of eye drops in your purse or trouser pocket for emergency.

Dodger
January 28th, 2021, 16:53
The right move to make whenever gushes if ejaculate land on your eyes is not to rub your eyes so as to prevent irritation to the cornea and surrounding delicate tissues.

Hey...hey...you're supposed to be social distancing.

dinagam
January 28th, 2021, 17:32
Hey...hey...you're supposed to be social distancing.

Believe it or not, a good number of younger males are blessed with powerful anatomical pumps capable of a trajectory safely beyond the safe distance.

bkkguy
January 28th, 2021, 18:43

the Thai FDA approved the emergency use of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine (https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2054847/fda-approves-astrazeneca) on Wednesday 20 January, the initial batch of doses will be imported from Europe

After 200 years of hosting foreigners on their soil the Thais still can't figure out how to make a pizza. How in the hell are they going to make a complex medical vaccine that's stifled even the most experienced scientists and epidemiologists in the world for over a year???

I don't know what your reference standard is for good pizza but in the last 10 years I have had some fairly terrible pizzas in the USA, Australia, the UK and Europe - especially Italy! in that same time period I have had some great pizzas in Thailand - your standards are obviously different, or you and I have eaten at very different places, and anyway who gets to decide what the international standard should be for pizza?

the lab selected to manufacture the AstraZenica vaccine under license did not develop the vaccine or work out the manufacturing systems or indeed do anything that was in competition with the "most experienced scientists and epidemiologists in the world" - AstraZenica developed the vaccine, designed the manufacturing process, quality control, distribution control requirements etc then visited and inspected the local facilities and set the conditions for the license to manufacture and based on the companies previous experience and changes made to meet their criteria were satisfied the local facility could meet those conditions.

Is AstraZenica not one of the "reputable pharma giants overseas" in your eyes, or like your pizza experience you are unwilling to concede that there are good and bad pharmaceutical toll manufacturers in Thailand as there are in all other countries in the world?

latintopxxx
January 29th, 2021, 00:55
...dunno...saw phtos of staff leaving that facility that burnt down in india...the surroundings reminded me of what trump would say when describing it...

Dodger
January 29th, 2021, 11:46
the

Thai FDA approved the emergency use of the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine (https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2054847/fda-approves-astrazeneca) on Wednesday 20 January, the initial batch of doses will be imported from Europe

......the lab selected to manufacture the AstraZenica vaccine under license did not develop the vaccine or work out the manufacturing systems or indeed do anything that was in competition with the "most experienced scientists and epidemiologists in the world" - AstraZenica developed the vaccine, designed the manufacturing process, quality control, distribution control requirements etc then visited and inspected the local facilities and set the conditions for the license to manufacture and based on the companies previous experience and changes made to meet their criteria were satisfied the local facility could meet those conditions.

I'm not questioning the work that AstraZenica did to qualify the lab(s) in Thailand, but I do have reservations regarding the capabilities of the Thai lab (or labs) to control the manufacturing processes and quality levels after they have been approved and full production is launched. This is a challenge I was personally involved with in my early years in Thailand, and remember the headaches too well.

Proving upfront manufacturing capabilities and adherence to quality standards is one thing - but consistently producing a product, which consistently meets those standards, is a horse of a different color. Unfortunately, this is a weakness that many Thai manufacturing company's are still challenged with. if you doubt what I'm telling you, just ask General Motors. If you're buying a cheap toaster or coffee maker, no problem. Just toss it in the trash and buy another one. But once a medical vaccine is injected, it's nonrefundable.

As far as Pizza goes; Growing up in an old Italian neighborhood in Chicago - I've been spoiled on the best. No offense intended, but if you don't think the pizza is any good in Italy, than I'm afraid you don't know what pizza is.

StevieWonders
January 29th, 2021, 12:04
I'm not questioning the work that AstraZenica did to qualify the lab(s) in Thailand, but I do have reservations regarding the capabilities of the Thai lab (or labs) to control the manufacturing processes and quality levels after they have been approved and full production is launched. This is a challenge I was personally involved with in my early years in Thailand, and remember the headaches too well.

Proving upfront manufacturing capabilities and adherence to quality standards is one thing - but consistently producing a product, which consistently meets those standards, is a horse of a different color. Unfortunately, this is an area where many Thai manufacturing company's are challenged. if you doubt what I'm telling you, just ask GM. If you're buying a cheap toaster or coffee maker, no problem. Just toss it in the trash and buy another one. But once a medical vaccine is injected, it's nonrefundable.Rote learning is one of the features of what the Thais laughingly call their “education” system so I’d expect that if AZ has certified the processes I’d have some confidence the Thais could follow a standardised process. I’d hope that there’d be some QA along the process as well as at the end to identify dodgy batches.

dab69
January 29th, 2021, 14:10
Rote learning is one of the features of what the Thais laughingly call their “education” system so I’d expect that if AZ has certified the processes I’d have some confidence the Thais could follow a standardised process. I’d hope that there’d be some QA along the process as well as at the end to identify dodgy batches.

GEE I haven't heard the "Rote learning" since Beachlover!
Now we know.

StevieWonders
January 29th, 2021, 14:24
GEE I haven't heard the "Rote learning" since Beachlover! Now we know.They seek him here
They seek him there

Dodger
January 29th, 2021, 16:07
Rote learning is one of the features of what the Thais laughingly call their “education” system so I’d expect that if AZ has certified the processes I’d have some confidence the Thais could follow a standardised process. I’d hope that there’d be some QA along the process as well as at the end to identify dodgy batches.

To your point, Thais are very trainable, disciplined when it comes to following written instructions and procedures, and have an ingrained ability to focus on tasks better than the average worker in the West IMO. That's not the problem.

The weakness that many Thai manufacturing operations have actually has its roots in the culture itself. Thais simply don't want to waste or discard anything that cost them money. Consequently (and commonly), they accept substandard work that's been identified during the manufacturing process, versus scraping product which is close to meeting standard They commonly report very low scrap and rework percentages - but have higher than average customer returns and warranty costs. For U.S. Companies operating in Thailand this is an ongoing problem. I'm speaking in general terms.

Traditional QA doesn't rely on inspection during the manufacturing process, or at the end of the process anymore. Those days are long gone. It's all about monitoring and controlling "process variation", which requires the collection/analysis of data in real-time for process control purposes. The challenge the Thais have in this area is that they almost always hire lower-paid, easily trained "Inspectors" to support these QA efforts, versus hiring higher-paid "Quality Engineers" who are trained and experienced in the applications of statistical techniques. This was (and may still be) the leading cause of defective product produced in Thailand

It's also common practice in Thailand for people to "pay-their-way" into Company's, where they're not necessarily hired based on skills and experience as practiced in the West. The problems I've witnessed (and there's been hundreds) were usually the result of a lack of knowledge and/or experience in these more advanced QA techniques.

The Thai lab (or labs) that AZ approved to manufacture the vaccine may have outstanding Quality Systems, with no concern to the consumer whatsoever. But, based on my experience working with manufacturing companies over here in general, I'll remain skeptical. I would definitely not be the first person in line - even if that opportunity presented itself. I need a sample size of around a million people before I judge the process as being capable.

StevieWonders
January 29th, 2021, 21:11
To your point, Thais are very trainable, disciplined when it comes to following written instructions and procedures, and have an ingrained ability to focus on tasks better than the average worker in the West IMO. That's not the problem.Essentially your argument succeeds if and only if you believe that AZ is prepared to risk worldwide reputational damage by leaving the Thais alone to fuck things up. On the balance of probabilities how likely is that?

latintopxxx
January 30th, 2021, 01:00
..based on what I've read here Im amazed Thailand has managed to survive as an independent enity for hundreds of years ...

StevieWonders
January 30th, 2021, 01:03
..based on what I've read here Im amazed Thailand has managed to survive as an independent enity for hundreds of years ...Only if you believe Thai propaganda - it was largely a British protectorate for much of the 19th century as any reputable history of the country will confirm.

Dodger
January 30th, 2021, 07:09
Essentially your argument succeeds if and only if you believe that AZ is prepared to risk worldwide reputational damage by leaving the Thais alone to fuck things up. On the balance of probabilities how likely is that?

Oh boy, does this bring back memories.

I would need access to the Risk Management Report (and other data) that AZ produced for the lab(s) in Thailand to estimate what the probabilities would be in statistical terms - but one could surmise that AZ, not wanting to damage its reputation - or be faced with a product recall or other financial catastrophes, will be keeping tight controls on the lab(s), especially during prototype development and initial production launch phases of the project, so the probabilities of something going wrong would be very low. The problems I was referring to in my last response occur later in this process when a company like AZ turns the bright lights off and the Thais are pretty much running on their own. This has been the experience of many large company's from the West when using Thailand as a manufacturing arm.

I mentioned General Motors before because they were the last Fortune 100 Company to pull manufacturing operations out of Thailand for exactly the same reasons I've been talking about. GM has one of the most highly structured and effective programs for managing risk, supply-chain management/quality assurance in the world, and they were still unable to hit their Quality targets at the GM automotive plants in Thailand. I was representing another U.S. Fortune 100 Company around the same time and ended up having to staff U.S. transplants to work at our operations in Thailand to oversee and manage our quality initiatives. An expensive proposition, but the only way we could ship products with "zero defects".

There's a reason why Thailand doesn't manufacture their own motorbikes. Think about it!

The timelines for releasing vaccines to the world have been shortened under pressure. This means the validation testing of the vaccines is not as complete as the experts in the pharma industry and independent labs would prefer which prevents inherent risk.

All said, none of this should really matter to the average Joe out there. Once the vaccine becomes available, don't race to be the first one in line...watch the news to see if there are any reports of people experiencing bad side-effects from the vaccine...If not, get it...If so, don't. Just use common sense.

StevieWonders
January 30th, 2021, 07:13
Oh boy, does this bring back memories.

I would need access to the Risk Management Report (and other data) that AZ produced for the lab(s) in Thailand to estimate what the probabilities would be in statistical terms - but one could surmise that AZ, not wanting to damage its reputation - or be faced with a product recall or other financial catastrophes, will be keeping a tight reign on the lab(s), especially during prototype development and initial production launch phases of the project, so the probabilities of something going wrong would be very low. The problems I was referring to in my last response occur later in this process when a company like AZ turns the bright lights off and the Thais are pretty much running on their own. This has been the experience of many large company's from the West when using Thailand as a manufacturing arm.

I mentioned General Motors before because they were the last Fortune 100 Company to pull manufacturing operations out of Thailand for exactly the same reasons I've been talking about. GM has one of the most highly structured and effective programs for managing risk, supply-chain management/quality assurance in the world, and they were still unable to hit their Quality targets at the GM automotive plants in Thailand. I was representing another U.S. Fortune 100 Company around the same time and ended up having to staff U.S. transplants to work at our operations in Thailand to oversee and manage our quality initiatives. An expensive proposition, but the only way we could ship products with "zero defects".

There's a reason why Thailand doesn't manufacture their own motorbikes. Think about it!

All said, none of this should really matter to the average Joe out there. Once the vaccine becomes available, don't race to be the first one in line...watch the news to see if there are any reports of people experiencing bad side-effects from the vaccine...If not, get it...If so, don't. Just use common sense.
Non sequitur of the year to date.

Dodger
January 30th, 2021, 08:01
Non sequitur of the year to date.

You're basing that on...???

StevieWonders
January 30th, 2021, 08:16
You're basing that on...???It’s simple common sense. Why would any company anywhere risk worldwide reputational damage by letting some local manufacturer alone to fuck things up? That it’s a critical medical supply adds to the risk if they’re unsupervised. As well your final comment does not take account of the process going off the rails after several successful batches have been released. You don’t need to read any internal company document whatsoever to assess those risks.

Andaman!
January 30th, 2021, 08:32
I mentioned General Motors before because they were the last Fortune 100 Company to pull manufacturing operations out of Thailand for exactly the same reasons I've been talking about. GM has one of the most highly structured and effective programs for managing risk, supply-chain management/quality assurance in the world, and they were still unable to hit their Quality targets at the GM automotive plants in Thailand.

........or perhaps just because GM design and build crap dull cars with zero style or driver appeal. GM ruined brands such as Vauxhall in UK and Opel in Germany and had a disastrous time with the Chevrolet brand of rebadged Korean Daewoos before pulling out of Europe. BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota and others all manage to manufacture in Thailand. However GM couldn’t make it work - I wonder why and I don’t blame the Thais.

Armando
January 30th, 2021, 08:45
Only if you believe Thai propaganda - it was largely a British protectorate for much of the 19th century as any reputable history of the country will confirm.
Untrue. The Brits and the French tried to influence the direction of Thailand in the 19th century but it was never a protectorate.

arsenal
January 30th, 2021, 09:04
Strong influence. With Burma, Singapore and Malaysia warmly embraced by the British Empire Thailand would have been there for the taking. It was the British investigation into events of some 70+ years ago that is considered the most plausible.

Dodger
January 30th, 2021, 09:20
It’s simple common sense. Why would any company anywhere risk worldwide reputational damage by letting some local manufacturer alone to fuck things up?.

Answer: Lower manufacturing costs - expansion of global distribution networks - increased bottom-line $$$profits$$$.

Some company's manage "Risk" well - some don't.

Sen Yai
January 30th, 2021, 09:34
........or perhaps just because GM design and build crap dull cars with zero style or driver appeal. GM ruined brands such as Vauxhall in UK and Opel in Germany and had a disastrous time with the Chevrolet brand of rebadged Korean Daewoos before pulling out of Europe. BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota and others all manage to manufacture in Thailand. However GM couldn’t make it work - I wonder why and I don’t blame the Thais.

Absolutely correct. Very well said Andaman!

Dodger
January 30th, 2021, 09:37
......BMW, Mercedes, Ford, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota and others all manage to manufacture in Thailand. However GM couldn’t make it work - I wonder why and I don’t blame the Thais.

You raise a very good point.

I had the opportunity to visit several Japanese automotive plants in Thailand and was surprised to see how many Japanese Managers and Engineers had been transplanted to support these operations on a full-time basis. Thus the reason you see so many Japanese people living in places like Siracha. Ford Motor Company Thailand does the same. I have my own opinions regarding GM, and the reasons why their Truck line in Thailand failed, but will keep those opinions to myself. I'm a Ford Man...LOL.

StevieWonders
January 30th, 2021, 10:26
Untrue. The Brits and the French tried to influence the direction of Thailand in the 19th century but it was never a protectorate.Not in the formal sense but the British had learned the model used with the maharajahs in the 18th century by the British East India Company well.

StevieWonders
January 30th, 2021, 10:27
It was the British investigation into events of some 70+ years ago that is considered the most plausible.Long since discredited by TKNS book.

arsenal
January 30th, 2021, 11:04
One book can neither discredit nor demonstrate anything. Have you read Chariots of the Gods? Perhaps you believe it.

StevieWonders
January 30th, 2021, 11:15
One book can neither discredit nor demonstrate anything. Have you read Chariots of the Gods? Perhaps you believe it.Thanks for your recommendation.

arsenal
January 30th, 2021, 11:28
You're welcome.

StevieWonders
January 30th, 2021, 12:45
One book can neither discredit nor demonstrate anything. Have you read Chariots of the Gods? Perhaps you believe it.
url deleted

christianpfc
January 30th, 2021, 20:08
Thank you Dodger, for you insights in working with Thais. I have no personal experience, but can extrapolate from my dating and general observations and arrive at similar conclusions.

A European friend of mine had a tourism business in Thailand years ago, but stopped his activities in Thailand and moved to Philippines. I asked him why:
"Staffing Problems."
"You mean you can't find Thai employees who are on time, can read a map, and speak reasonable English?"
"Yes."

On the other hand, via a Farang friend with connections, we have been in a running coal and hydro power station, and I didn't see any foreigner working there.

dinagam
January 30th, 2021, 20:41
Thank you Dodger, for you insights..

On the other hand, via a Farang friend with connections, we have been in a running coal and hydro power station, and I didn't see any foreigner working there.

Some Korean, Chinese, and Japanese may have facial features of Thais until they open their mouth..

Dodger
January 31st, 2021, 09:40

Just so I don't misrepresent the facts here; The majority of western manufacturing company's who have operations in Thailand don't send staff to work full-time in Thailand. The companies I dealt with who do are either large corporations, where high volume production and global distribution networks are involved, or sometimes smaller companies who produce highly complex and/or very costly products, such as military D.O.D contracts, etc.

The Japanese are famous for staffing offshore manufacturing sites with personnel from their corporate headquarters for the purpose of overseeing the management of the operations, as well as supporting the accomplishment of established financial goals/targets. They much prefer direct oversight. Other countries in the West do this as well, but, for the Japanese, this is standard practice.

As far as the lab who will be producing the vaccine in Thailand goes, here's some facts:

Thailand has reportedly purchased the copyright for the covid vaccine developed by AstraZenica UK (Oxford). The Company (lab) in Thailand who was awarded the contract for this copyright is Siambioscience, who is owned by CPB Equity, Co. LTD., which in-turn, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Thailand Crowned Property Bureau, which is wholly owned by "the person we can't talk about". In-other-words, the vaccine copyright has been purchased by "the person we can't talk about".

As far as the reliability of the vaccine produced in Thailand goes, this will reflect totally on Siambioscience's ability to control its quality. I have no opinions that I can share openly beyond this, other than to repeat what I've said earlier, that I will personally opt to get the vaccine later rather than sooner.

daydreamer
February 1st, 2021, 08:09
The Japanese are famous for staffing offshore manufacturing sites with personnel from their corporate headquarters for the purpose of overseeing the management of the operations, as well as supporting the accomplishment of established financial goals/targets. They much prefer direct oversight. Other countries in the West do this as well, but, for the Japanese, this is standard practice..

One reason for the Japanese supervision in overseas factories is certainly quality control and financial goals/targets, however there is another reason.

I often read a couple wristwatch forums. I ran across where a poster had emailed a Seiko watch company engineer asking where various Seiko models are made, since sometimes the components or entire Seiko watches are made in their factories in China or Malaysia. I am including an excerpt below that explains that having Japanese oversight in a factory allows the company to claim the watches are "Made in Japan".

This is the reply from Seiko - ".....due to the nature of customs and labor laws in Japan, products are generally allowed to be stamped with Made in Japan if they are produced outside the national boundaries as long as they are manufactured in a wholly owned Japanese firm where the work is overseen by Japanese nationals. Generally speaking, watches priced below about 90,000 yen (currently $860 US dollars) do not contain enough profit margin to be made in Japan. This is not just for Seiko, but for all major Japanese manufacturers. Watches priced roughly from 90,000 to 250,000 yen (currently $860 to 2,388 US dollars) are often finished or with final assembly done in Japan and higher end watches above this point are often fully assembled in Japan. ....."

a447
February 1st, 2021, 10:33
The Grand Seiko series is designed and, to a large extent handmade, in Japan.

At its price point, nobody would buy it if it wasn't.

However, in some cases watch companies sell 2 versions of the same watch - one made overseas and another made in Japan. The latter is more expensive. The choice is yours.

I also have some concerns about things made in Thailand, mainly because of the rampant corruption there. I've heard nightmare stories about construction companies substituting cheap substandard materials and pocketing the difference.

If I recall correctly, Suvarnaphumi airport, which opened with great fanfare, was closed down a few days later when a runway cracked. It was discovered the company which built the runways had used inferior concrete.

So I'd prefer to get vaccinated elsewhere.

Dodger
February 1st, 2021, 14:05
How'd you like to buy an expensive hand-crafted Mercedes Benz, only to find that it was made in Mexico?

For U.S. manufacturers, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) requires that "all, or virtually all" of the product has to be made in the U.S. before it can be advertised or labeled as being "Made in the USA". Japan has much looser rules...and the Chinese don't have any rules at all and wouldn't follow them if they did.

A pharmaceutical product that gets injected into the blood-stream labeled "Made in Thailand" would make me forget all about the needle.

bkkguy
February 1st, 2021, 18:21
I also have some concerns about things made in Thailand, mainly because of the rampant corruption there.

I suppose it depends on how much you think you can trust, or have faith in, the owners of the business