PDA

View Full Version : A Day in Lockdown

gerefan2
January 7th, 2021, 19:37
I’m writing this with two people in mind.
Firstly frequen...sorry StevieisWonderful who believes anyone in Pattaya is just there for boom boom. See his remarks about Playboy magazine in another thread.

And secondly, and far more importantly, to make St. Arsenal insanely jealous to the point of apoplexy.

As we are currently permitted to travel anywhere in Chonburi (a huge area) I thought I would take the opportunity to ride out and visit Bang Sean Beach which I have read about on here and other places. It far exceeded my expectations.

It’s about 55 km North of Pattaya just before you reach Chonburi. Quickest way is along the number 3 road which is Sukumvit. Normally a road I avoid like the plague (sorry!) but now it’s quiet and sensible. Takes a little over an hour on the Bike.

Bang Sean, like Pattaya, is deserted. Most places are closed but plenty are open for the essentials and to cater for the odd visitor.

Below are some pics of the beach and the local town. All very impressive.

Two highlights of this trip. The first was a meal in a beautiful resort place just beyond the beach and second a visit to Monkey Hill which is just above the town. Fortunately the monkeys know their place and do not interfere with you...unlike the apes in Gibraltar.

First few pics are the beach area, then the general town followed by the eating place. Finally the monkeys.

Nirish...any chance you could knock out 3 Hail Marys and 10 Our Fathers in the hope this lockdown won’t get any worse. TIA.

StevieWonders
January 7th, 2021, 20:01
I’m writing this with two people in mind.
Firstly frequen...sorry StevieisWonderful who believes anyone in Pattaya is just there for boom boom. See his remarks about Playboy magazine in another thread. On the contrary gerefan2 I’m considerably entertained that you and goji have expended time, money and effort and endured 2 weeks in quarantine merely, so you claim, to avoid the English winter. But please do continue with your rich fantasy life.

arsenal
January 7th, 2021, 20:04
Fucking glorious. It's hitting minus 10 in the UK in some parts and while I an indeed beyond insanely jealous I'm also pleased and will enjoy your time vicariously as will most here I think.

Read the zillion platinum selling Easy Rider thread for some fantastic out of the way places to try and find or have a wonderful time trying to find. The Mountain Cafe Zoo is simply a delight.

And please lots of photos and have as much fun as you can and anyone who doesn't like it doesn't need to read it.

This may well turn out to be one of your most memorable trips and strange though it may sound one of your best.

dab69
January 7th, 2021, 20:14
Nice to hear someone supporting Thai businesses enjoyably in person.

StevieWonders
January 7th, 2021, 20:29
“businesses”? The plural noun? I could see only a single reference to actually spending money in a Thai business (the meal) although the reference to the “Bike” may imply some small coins changing hands.

Zebedee
January 7th, 2021, 20:57
Nirish...any chance you could knock out 3 Hail Marys and 10 Our Fathers in the hope this lockdown won’t get any worse. TIA.

You'd be better off praying directly to the man himself...St Arsenal...he can work miracles.

Nice photos.

goji
January 7th, 2021, 21:25
Thanks for posting the photos Gerefan2.

I really must get that motorcycle license. Whilst it's possible to get all over Thailand and out to some rural locations, my own transport would make it easier.

Or, I suppose I could just hire the bike and keep generously donating to the police, like N Irish.

christianpfc
January 7th, 2021, 21:29
Congratulations to getting to Thailand and through quarantine!

Bang Saen is indeed worth a visit (I have been twice and would go again). I think the most interesting place there is the Buddhist Hell Garden Wang Saen Suk.

vnman
January 8th, 2021, 00:56

If only Thailand would have been open.

My friend almost went into quarantine on the 18 of Dec. so he could enjoy a month of Thailand in January. He is very happy he didn't go.

I cannot wait to pump some money in the Thai economy (of course) for some specific entrepreneurs :-)

Nirish guy
January 8th, 2021, 02:13

You certainly can - but you'll have to give me a while to go and find a priest to and either get him to convert me or to bribe him to say them for me as usually my attempts ended up something along the lines of "Hail Mary full of grapes" or something like that !!! :-)

Great pics btw - well, terrible from a Covid point of view but as I'm sitting here working, number crunching ever dwindling resources thanks to Covid myself and looking out my office window at the snow on the ground you DEFINITELY made the right decision to get the hell out of here !

Also as our / Dublins Covid numbers are currently going through the roof it seems getting out of there for THAT reason too was also a sound decision I think !)

Nirish guy
January 8th, 2021, 02:23
I suppose I could just hire the bike and keep generously donating to the police, like N Irish.

I assure you Goji that thats not some secret fetish I have where I get off giving money to Thai cops for minor infractions, quite the opposite I assure you !

Unfortunately after looking into it I came to the conclusion that short of ACTUALLY doing a full bike test here in the Uk ( which they were quoting about £1500 for to do the "crash" course) there wasn't any other legitimate way of getting JUST a bike licence, if you could pay to add it on to your UK licence or something I absolutely would but alas thats not even possible. I'd love to know their reasoning for it as you'd think that riding about on a scooter would be reasonably safe. ( they claim their figures show that that NOT the case but I suspect it's your people having accidents that are skewing those figures. They should really have a temporary holiday exclusion available, for Irish people, over 50, who are gay and stay in Mosiak .......that would suffice - for me at least :-)

arsenal
January 8th, 2021, 13:59
Buy some licence thingy online but pay a bit more to get one that looks sort of official. The US ones are good. Bash it up a bit. You've used it in many countries including Thailand for many years with no problems is what you tell the officer.

Only once in 8 years it was refused and I had to pay the fine. Even that was less annoying than having to go to the police station which is very inconvenient. Every other time it, along with a nice but not desperate 'hello' and a confident manner has seen me through. However 200 baht slipped inside will l do it for sure if it's a licence check but maybe not if it's helmets.

Above all else Goji. Ride in Thailand like you would at home and you should have no problems.

I think you and gerefan2 should have a competition to see who can make Saint Arsenal the most jealous.

bkkguy
January 8th, 2021, 19:17
while I an indeed beyond insanely jealous I'm also pleased and will enjoy your time vicariously

the only option I suppose given your confidently repeated and now unrealised predictions in this forum in August about it being "easy peasy" to, for example, "produce your vaccination certificate at check in" and thus you will meet us all "in Jomtien for coffee and cakes in December"

arsenal
January 8th, 2021, 19:45
"the only option I suppose given your confidently repeated and now unrealised predictions in this forum in August about it being "easy peasy" to, for example, "produce your vaccination certificate at check in" and thus you will meet us all "in Jomtien for coffee and cakes in December""

Giggle. Silly me. But cool you remembered what I wrote back in August. I'm sorry I can't return the compliment.

Nirish guy
January 8th, 2021, 20:19
To be fair ..... he didn’t say WHICH December !!? :-)

goji
January 8th, 2021, 21:33
"produce your vaccination certificate at check in" and thus you will meet us all "in Jomtien for coffee and cakes in December""

Coffee and cakes in December was possible without any vaccination certificate.
Just 2 weeks "porridge" in Thailand and another 2 weeks when you return to China.

As for the motorcycle, I want to be fully legal, so travel insurance is valid.

dab69
January 9th, 2021, 07:21
“businesses”? The plural noun? I could see only a single reference to actually spending money in a Thai business (the meal) although the reference to the “Bike” may imply some small coins changing hands.

How true! He undoubtedly packed the motorcycle in his carry on bag
and camps out nightly under the stars in a sleeping bag on the beach for free,

StevieWonders
January 9th, 2021, 07:24
How true! He undoubtedly packed the motorcycle in his carry on bag and camps out nightly under the stars in a sleeping bag on the beach for free,Not sure about camping out but camping up is a possibility.

gerefan2
January 14th, 2021, 22:36
Another day out on the bike. Maybe not as adventurous as our new Saint but helped by a Thai friend/guide. We left Jomtien and ventured south and he showed me a resort (Botany Bay Resort) which is a little off the beaten track. We stopped there for some refreshments before dropping into Ocean Marina and finally, as a surprise, ended up at 3 Mermaids. As expected most places were deserted...which I’m beginning to like!

First pics are at Botany Bay then Ocean Marina and finally 3 Mermaids.

3 Mermaids was only opened in November and has suffered terribly. However there were quite a few customers there this evening. It is very similar to Sky Gallery and only a few hundred metres down the road. Well worth going to.

Zebedee
January 14th, 2021, 23:19
Great Photos- Thanks again.
gerefan2 stay where you are for as long as you can...safely of course...the western world is chaotic.

I've changed my mind from previous posts. Things have got worse.

Jellybean
January 15th, 2021, 00:55
. . . First pics are at Botany Bay then Ocean Marina and finally 3 Mermaids . . .

Great Photos- Thanks again . . .

Yes, totally agree with Zebedee, great photos gerefan2. Had this been a 'normal' year I would have arrived in Thailand today or tomorrow for the start of my 90 day visit. Hmmm . . . perhaps January 2022?

When time allows, do keep the photos and reports coming. :)

arsenal
January 15th, 2021, 04:28
Quite simply. A delight to wake up to and read with my first cup of coffee of the morning.

Jellybean
January 16th, 2021, 21:58
The following email with attached links was received by me from the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office and, if not already seen, will be of particular interest to gerefan2, goji (paperboy?) and any other British members currently in Thailand:

Foreign travel advice
Thailand

Summary
Still current at: 16 January 2021
Updated: 16 January 2021

Preparing for your return journey to the UK

If you’re returning to the UK from overseas, you will need to:

provide your journey and contact details before you travel

Fill in your passenger locator form

You must complete this form online before you arrive in the UK, even if you’re arriving from a country on the travel corridors list.

You may be fined if you have not completed the form by the time you reach the UK border. You also may not be allowed to enter the UK (unless you’re either British or a UK resident).

To complete the form you need:

your passport details
your travel details, including times and dates
the address where you will stay in the UK (if applicable)
a booking reference number and the name of the test provider, if you’re using Test to Release to find out if you can end self-isolation early

You can submit the form any time in the 48 hours before you arrive in the UK.

You can include multiple journeys in your form if you’ll enter the UK more than once in a 48-hour period.

This is a free service. You do not need to pay another website or business to provide your contact details for you.

After you complete the form you will receive a QR code via email. You can print this out or show it on your phone as proof of completion.

For the form and full details click on the following links:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=7a4b77b6-1f52-4144-b876-0aa10c68dcad&utm_content=immediately
https://www.gov.uk/provide-journey-contact-details-before-travel-uk

Nirish guy
January 16th, 2021, 22:57
Well from talking with a few friends who returned from places they were "meant' to self isolate from - as NO ONE from any authority either contacted them or knocked their door or as much as phoned them to see were the sticking to the self isolation rule I doubt many people who find themselves suddenly falling under this rule will give a shit unfortunately - and there in lies half the problem perhaps and yet another reason why our numbers are running out of the control here in the UK ! :(

StevieWonders
January 17th, 2021, 04:35
The following email with attached links was received by me from the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office and, if not already seen, will be of particular interest to gerefan2, goji (paperboy?) and any other British members currently in Thailand:
The Times is reporting that the UK is considering a mandatory 14-day hotel quarantine at the traveller’s expense along the New Zealand model for all arrivals.

a447
January 17th, 2021, 09:29
Well from talking with a few friends who returned from places they were "meant' to self isolate from - as NO ONE from any authority either contacted them or knocked their door or as much as phoned them to see were the sticking to the self isolation rule I doubt many people who find themselves suddenly falling under this rule will give a shit unfortunately - and there in lies half the problem perhaps and yet another reason why our numbers are running out of the control here in the UK ! :(

Western Australia has basically eliminated the virus - the last time community spread was detected in the state was April 11.

Nobody bothers with social - distancing and businesses have been up and running as normal, apart from limiting the numbers inside the shops, bars and restaurants. But even that has been ignored for a long time.

But having witnessed what happened in Victoria - going from 0 cases to 750 in just a few days, we are still wary of what could happen here.

All the new cases since April 11 have been from international travellers and they go straight into hotel quarantine. However, over the last few weeks, when our state opened its borders to other states, there have been a number of visitors who have escaped from the hotel and gone out to the shops restaurants and night clubs.

The first person to breech quarantine was a young woman. She was caught after being out and about for 9 hours and was arrested. The judge sentenced her to 6 months prison but she was freed on appeal and only got a $1,000 fine. I believe she skipped the state and returned home without paying.

Since then a few others have tried it so the hotels now have guards on the doors. One guy managed to get out the widow, shimmy down a drain pipe and head off to the pub, but was arrested on the same night

This time the judge fined him $13,000 and sent him straight to gaol, where he must remain until the fine is paid.

Those in home quarantine get regular visits from the police at all times of the day and night. If they are not at home, they'll soon find themselves in alternative accommodation, courtesy of the taxpayer.

StevieWonders
January 17th, 2021, 10:30
To put 447’s post in perspective, Western Australia is largely isolated from the rest of Australia and its largest (almost only) city has a population of less than 2 million.

arsenal
January 17th, 2021, 10:46
https://nypost.com/2020/08/27/four-members-of-remote-indian-tribe-test-positive-for-covid/

Moggy
January 17th, 2021, 13:07
The new policy means arrivals from every destination will need to self-isolate for 10 days, or receive a negative result from a coronavirus test taken at least five days after they enter the UK.

It had already been announced that travellers arriving in England and Scotland from Monday will need to have a negative test taken up to 72 hours before leaving the country of departure.

gerefan2
January 22nd, 2021, 22:22
Knight Rider ...

arsenal
January 23rd, 2021, 05:48
My lawyers, Ebenezer Frequent and Partners are looking at possible copyright infringement for appropriation of the word 'rider'

It's a Yamaha Nouvo if I'm not mistaken. How retro. I'm a Honda Click man myself. Slightly smaller, nippier and snarlier.

That's Bali Hai, right? That whole area with its unfinished apartment block, rusting and decaying marina and huge built for Chinese tour busses coach park is a picture postcard of Thai fuck up.

But still great to see photos and I'm still jealous of you and when we next find ourselves in Pattaya at the same time I'm gonna photo post you into oblivion. Hahaha.

StevieWonders
January 23rd, 2021, 07:59
My lawyers, Ebenezer Frequent and Partners are looking at possible copyright infringement for appropriation of the word 'rider'Defending you against a claim that you are “easy” would be more difficult

gerefan2
January 23rd, 2021, 16:23
My lawyers, Ebenezer Frequent and Partners are looking at possible copyright infringement for appropriation of the word 'rider'

It's a Yamaha Nouvo if I'm not mistaken. How retro. I'm a Honda Click man myself. Slightly smaller, nippier and snarlier.

That's Bali Hai, right? That whole area with its unfinished apartment block, rusting and decaying marina and huge built for Chinese tour busses coach park is a picture postcard of Thai fuck up.

But still great to see photos and I'm still jealous of you and when we next find ourselves in Pattaya at the same time I'm gonna photo post you into oblivion. Hahaha.

I had a Yamaha in the 1960s. Never again. Wouldn’t even rent one! It’s a Honda PCX 150, I will have you know!

Your absence from Pattaya is showing Lol. Bali Hi area has been improved no end. No Chinese tour busses (understandable), no speed boats parked on the street, marina improved (a bit). The area beside the piers all renewed into pedestrian plaza with fountains. See pic.

Get here, get your camera out and start snapping...like a Soi Dog!

Nirish guy
January 23rd, 2021, 18:38
Arsenal can hardly claim any copyright infringements when it's quite clear to all that the pics offered dont contain even ONE never mind a series of dodgy looking 99 baht cheap breakfast pics and I think until that rubicon has been passed there's not a court in the land that would move to convict........although it IS Thailand we're talking about here so all normal rules and legal responsibilities re the burden of proof etc are of course TOTALLY out the window and he with the deepest pockets may well win ! :)

Ok so time to show or tell boys - who's got the biggest one between you both ( pocket that is of course !?? ) :)

StevieWonders
January 24th, 2021, 15:11
I wonder when the OP will be taking up the matter of off-topic posts in his thread with the Moderators.

Jellybean
January 25th, 2021, 01:29
Following reports from two members via the red triangle icon, thirteen posts in this thread have been moved to the Everything Else forum and given the title, New Covid-19 Variants.

A link to the new topic can be found below:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?21841-New-Covid-19-Variants

gerefan2
February 5th, 2021, 15:25
Looks like high season may be nearly over in Pattaya. Royal Garden Plaza and the beach this afternoon!

BUT, No Covid, No snow, No freezing temperatures, No lockdown, and No closures worth worrying about,

Wonderful!

goji
February 5th, 2021, 15:53
Or sunny Dongtan beach. No hot boys frolicking around at present, but still very pleasant.

Oliver2
February 5th, 2021, 16:30
Yes, I'd swap it for London any day. An empty RCSC is infinitely preferable to Sainsbury's.

latintopxxx
February 6th, 2021, 02:25
beach is lovely and clean...hope nature takes advantrage of this lull to heal a little

Nirish guy
February 6th, 2021, 05:08
OMG I do hope you're not suggesting that "people" are hurting the environment, my god man you'll be out wearing reed based sandals and becoming a fucking tree hugger as one of our members might say.....OH, wait, no, that was YOU !! :-p

wingnut
February 6th, 2021, 06:28
Looks like high season may be nearly over in Pattaya. Royal Garden Plaza and the beach this afternoon!

BUT, No Covid, No snow, No freezing temperatures, No lockdown, and No closures worth worrying about,

Wonderful!No whores? That's the only reason to go to Thailand.

goji
February 6th, 2021, 09:43
No whores?

This is a photo thread. Hardly any members post pictures of their whores here, but feel free to start.

gerefan2
February 6th, 2021, 14:41
No whores? That's the only reason to go to Thailand.

Actually, not the “only” reason to come here.
Anyway, as a I said above...”No closures to worry about”. The whores are happily working away in their bars and on the apps!

francois
February 6th, 2021, 16:51

Wonderful!

I would not use wonderful to describe the situation in Pattaya. Depressing is much more accurate.

gerefan2
February 6th, 2021, 17:09
Ok, “Wonderful, compared with being in the UK”!
Sorry, too late to edit.

Manforallseasons
February 6th, 2021, 17:33
I would not use wonderful to describe the situation in Pattaya. Depressing is much more accurate.

It is depressing to see how the situation has financially impacted Thais however, the upside is no traffic, restaurants offering big discounts, no Chinese hordes also the boys that remain in town are much more willing, if this is the new normal so be it.

goji
February 6th, 2021, 18:50

Compared with all the current alternatives, Pattaya is wonderful. Admittedbly I would prefer to see a couple more Gogo bars open and lower air pollution. But is there anywhere better to be in February 2021 ?

Another hot slim lad is about to arrive. No chance of that at home currently.

StevieWonders
February 6th, 2021, 19:24
Another hot slim lad is about to arrive. No chance of that at home currently.
Someone else to tell your family at home about?

Nirish guy
February 6th, 2021, 19:45
No whores? That's the only reason to go to Thailand.

EXCUSE ME !!! Please take care not to deviate from the standard two "off pat" reasons we give when asked "so why DO you go to Thailand" as to fail to express the standard " I go for the Temples and I love Thai food" could open up ALL kinds of cans of worms ! - these well worn "reasons" have been serving us all well for many years now and if we start to factor in even the slightest hint of "whores" our rouse could be done for !!

So, repeat after me " I go for the Temples and I love Thai food" and just keep repeating that Ad nausem when asked and you'll be just fine ! :-)

gerefan2
February 7th, 2021, 00:00
So, repeat after me " I go for the Temples and I love Thai food" and just keep repeating that Ad nausem when asked and you'll be just fine ! :-)

Nope! They are used to that often rolled out excuse.

I suggest, for the time being, you use my reasons at post #37!,

Nirish guy
February 7th, 2021, 00:32
Oh no as when I deliver my off to pat excuses I always give them with a wry smile just to they KNOW I don't mean a single word of it and so they know that I know that they too don't believe a single word of it and in actual fact what I mean yes "YES, of COURSE I'm going to fuck whores, now, just remind me how ANY of that is any of your fucking business again ? That usually does the trick in finishing the conversation I find :-)

dab69
February 7th, 2021, 01:54
I see two weeks isn’t THAT expensive to quarantine. 50,000 baht? But better afforded here if it is still a requirement for next December when it’s cold here again. I would go stark raving MAD - so near yet so far from all the excitement.

StevieWonders
February 7th, 2021, 04:23
I see two weeks isn’t THAT expensive to quarantine. 50,000 baht.40 boys

arsenal
February 7th, 2021, 04:58
1250. Stingy.

StevieWonders
February 7th, 2021, 05:28
1250. Stingy.expat prices - tourists pay more

arsenal
February 7th, 2021, 06:53
Mr Skinflint.

goji
February 7th, 2021, 07:50
I see two weeks isn’t THAT expensive to quarantine. 50,000 baht?

50,000 baht for 15 nights works out at 3333 baht per day. The cheaper options were just over 30,000 baht.
The cost of quarantine really isn't a problem. Being confined for 15 days is the difficult part, but it's all worthwhile when one is released.

StevieWonders
February 7th, 2021, 08:17
Mr Skinflint.All present and correct

gumblebee
February 7th, 2021, 08:27
Does anybody have experience with teleworking during quarantine? (quality of internet connection, comfortable desk, perhaps using the room TV as computer screen, videoconferencing,...)

goji
February 7th, 2021, 08:58
Does anybody have experience with teleworking during quarantine? (quality of internet connection, comfortable desk, perhaps using the room TV as computer screen, videoconferencing,...)
Not working, but I managed to have Zoom meetings on my tablet and hook up a Raspberry Pi to the TV for use as a PC, which had a connection good enough to also run videos. The chair offered good back support.

Nirish guy
February 7th, 2021, 19:04
If actually WORKING then my advice is keep it on your computer, on a desk, in a different room / part of the house and remember at a set time to "switch off" otherwise you find yourself sitting at all hours "working" when you should be relaxing !

wingnut
February 8th, 2021, 03:31
If actually WORKING then my advice is keep it on your computer, on a desk, in a different room / part of the house and remember at a set time to "switch off" otherwise you find yourself sitting at all hours "working" when you should be relaxing !He is asking about IN QUARANTINE isn't he?

Nirish guy
February 8th, 2021, 08:32
He is asking about IN QUARANTINE isn't he?

Sorry good point, I missed that bit it seems - although depending on the size of your room/ suite the same rules could apply I guess.

goji
February 8th, 2021, 11:20
depending on the size of your room/ suite the same rules could apply I guess.
Exactly. Anyone with an appropriate budget can have 2 or more rooms. I did read of someone booking a penthouse suite, complete with a substantial outdoor area.

arsenal
February 8th, 2021, 12:18
It seems these fools and their money are everywhere, eh! Stevie.