View Full Version : Korean Airlines

August 11th, 2006, 22:13
Turns out my best option right now for price and connection is Korean Airlines.
I have previously flown Eva, NW, Thai, and United, and found them all OK. So not picky. But I have had heard some bad things about Korean. Any comments?

bing
August 11th, 2006, 22:32
I have Delta Sky Miles and do fly Korean Air as part of Delta in order to get to Thailand.
The Inchon airport is tres modern. Lots of upscale stores. You can get English books but yo will pay a premium. Bring your own reading items. No Problem with the air planes, but be ready for lot of Koreans on plane. Sometimes lots of kids running up and down the isle. The staff is very considerate.. Seems they are passing out towels to refresh face and hands before meals and walk around with juice all the time. Be aware if you order the Korean food, unless you are familiar with things like Bim Bop, it will not look like western food. I am not a fan of their food, but i bring plenty of things so it is not a problem. I always say a little prayer that North Korea will be good on the day I pass thru the airport.

August 12th, 2006, 03:05
Using Delta SkyMiles I flew Business class last December. I found them to be very good with pleasant staff and good service. Nice planes and food was fine...had western choices. Very acceptable experience that was far better than NW Air experience the year before. Will try THAI LAX-BKK non-stop this year in Premium Economy...saves lots of time.

August 13th, 2006, 03:45
I used to fly to Korea from Europe regularly on business.
Five or six years ago Korean Air had some major problems with safety which caused my comapny'sinsurance people to ban their use.
I believe the US military also banned their personel from using them.

They then got their act together (including getting a US director of engineering ) and are now pretty good.

The new Seoul airport at Inchon is nice but not much to do unless you have access to a business lounge.
I love Korean food especially kimchi but I believe there Western food is O.K.
I find the service on most developed Asian countries airlines far better than their US counterparts

August 13th, 2006, 04:40
Sounds good, and I love Korean food, but not expecting it to be so good in coach.

August 13th, 2006, 05:21
Korean did indeed have a horrible safety record and most of it could be attributed to cockpit culture and training. Korean used to hire ex-military pilots exclusively. The carry over effect was strict chain of command mixed with the asian fixation on saving face. Subordinate crew members remained silent as captains literally flew into mountains. As stated above, new management has turned things around and they're no longer hiring pilots right out of military. I've never flown KAL but may try them in future because I have many Sky Team miles.

If you want to see some amazing photos of aircraft in scary situations on or near the ground, I recommend this site (some of the most memorable shots were taken at the old Hong Kong airport):

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?popular=true