PDA

View Full Version : Thailand is going to the Moon!

cdnmatt
December 26th, 2020, 15:33
https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30400232

Why oh why? And ~3 billion THB? And they're planning to announce it next month during what will probably be the worst month of a once in a century global pandemic.

What the fuck are they thinking? Can they not think of something else better to use the funds for? It's not like Thailand is going to excel to be a world leader in space travel.

At the very least, do something like Canada does, and contribute to one of the existing space programs out there. For example, NASA's new Artemis missions sound really cool, and Canada is helping out with one astronaut and another Canada Arm.

Do that instead of launching your own space program, especially when you're nowhere even close to competing with others. Or better yet, help your fellow countrymen.

Oliver2
December 26th, 2020, 16:36
Juntas and self-important generals are fond of vanity projects. Almost as much as they like their Rolexes. And medals.

Meanwhile, the population is hungry and many unemployed....and - as I've just been told- P and his neighbours can't have sufficient water pressure for a shower for many months.

And they wonder why people in the north always vote for the "wrong" parties.

christianpfc
December 26th, 2020, 21:35
3 billion THB? That's 100 million USD. For a moon mission? You barely get a submarine or an aircraft carrier for that money.

dab69
December 26th, 2020, 22:03
at 11 k/h it would take 4.6 years to get there one way.

billyhouston
December 27th, 2020, 02:29
This is hilarious and obviously a spoof for those who are innumerate. The one that really gets me is 'lunar orbit at 2kph'.

I guess that orbital mechanics is not the strong point of people on here.

StevieWonders
December 27th, 2020, 04:28
This is hilarious and obviously a spoof for those who are innumerate. The one that really gets me is 'lunar orbit at 2kph'.

I guess that orbital mechanics is not the strong point of people on here.The OP (Canadian Matt) clearly has too much time in his hands. This is his second thread in two or three days that clearly fails the “hang on a minute” test. The other was his breathless YouTube link to one of 2020’s most discredited “treatments” for COVID-19 as if it was the answer to all our problems. Can I suggest Matt buys himself the audiobook version of “Calling bullshit: the art of scepticism in a data-driven world”?

dab69
December 27th, 2020, 05:53
Quit bitching on cdnmatt.
It WAS an actual The Nation news article.

arsenal
December 27th, 2020, 06:08
Moon Boys.
A nice name for a go go bar. Dress the boys in Garden of Eden style fig leaf attire. Lovely.

StevieWonders
December 27th, 2020, 07:00
“Moon: the act of bending over, pulling down one’s pants and showing an innocent person one’s arse” - Urban Dictionary

StevieWonders
December 27th, 2020, 07:01
Quit bitching on cdnmatt. It WAS an actual The Nation news article.Your argument is the traditional one - it was in the newspaper so it must be true?

Many posters here do not disguise their belief that “CDNMATT” is a liar and a charlatan whose back story is a complete fabrication. I’ve always believed his back story but regard him as completely naive in every regard. What’s your opinion?

dinagam
December 27th, 2020, 07:02
Whenever the Thais are drunk they liken the Yasothorn rocket festival to a trip to the moon, hopefully on a one way trip.

Smiles
December 27th, 2020, 07:10
Whenever the Thais are drunk they liken the Yasothorn rocket festival to a trip to the moon, hopefully on a one way trip.
Quite right. Never say Thais are nothing if not sanguine, to a fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TCJveaykJg

Dodger
December 28th, 2020, 16:42
This "Rocket to the Moon" nonsense is a ploy to defocus the masses attention away from the current political uprisings. Nothing more - nothing less.

Thailand can't even figure out how to make a motorbike let alone a rocket ship for Christ's sake.

I'm left with this cartoon image dating back to the Flash Gordan days, where a rocket ship resembling a tin can with fins goes sputtering through space - belching huge plums of black smoke in its path.

Jellybean
December 28th, 2020, 17:33
. . . I'm left with this cartoon image dating back to the Flash Gordan days, where a rocket ship resembling a tin can with fins goes sputtering through space - belching huge plums of black smoke in its path.

Dodger, your mention of Flash Gordon brought back fond childhood memories of watching the weekly Flash Gordon serial at the Saturday morning pictures at the local cinema. It was usually accompanied by a Little Rascals serial and occasionally, The Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Champion the Wonder Horse, The Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy and many others. Ahhh . . . the memories!

https://youtu.be/YVIp0m86nZ0

arsenal
December 28th, 2020, 17:55
Oh Jellybean.
10p to get in plus 10p for sweets. Walk home and nip in the toy shop to look at Little Big Man which for some reason I preferred to Action Man even with his swivel eyes, grip hands and pull string talking.

Nirish guy
December 28th, 2020, 18:37
I’m surprised some aren’t referring to being able to exchange jam jars for entry to the pictures from after the war was on :-)

Still you can’t half tell the membership here are “rich” as some of us were more about clubbing our money together to get maybe one person in, who then opened the fire exit to enable another 20 or so of us to rush in before they could work out who was who !! Ha we all thought we were being very cutting edge criminal and edgy and the time, in hind sight I think the manager knew fine well what was going on and put it down to the cost of doing business with the rest of us just perhaps, bless him.

Ps just reading this week that they’re now placing an increased parental warning on the old Flash Gordon movies as it’s been decided that “Ming the Merciless” may have bern a bit racist as they were projecting an looking Asian looking guy ( who was Dutch actually i think !!) as the bad guy. Don’t know about you but when I was a kid it never even dawned on me he was “an Asian” ( even though he wasn’t) and I just seen him as a baddie - I guess it was only later I developed subconscious racism, hmmm perhaps it WAS all Mings fault after all !! :-)

Pps just don’t forget ......... FLASH GORDON’S ALIVE !!!!! :-)

Dodger
December 29th, 2020, 08:18
Dodger, your mention of Flash Gordon brought back fond childhood memories of watching the weekly Flash Gordon serial at the Saturday morning pictures at the local cinema. It was usually accompanied by a Little Rascals serial and occasionally, The Three Stooges, Laurel & Hardy, Champion the Wonder Horse, The Lone Ranger, Hopalong Cassidy and many others. Ahhh . . . the memories!

Don't get me started. I was a Sunday morning Cowboy junkie before I was old enough to walk.

Remember these:

Cheyanne, Sugar Foot, The Rifleman, Bronco Lane, Bonanza, Rawhide, Wagon Train, Cisco Kid, Branded, Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, The Rebel.

StevieWonders
December 29th, 2020, 08:33
Don't get me started. I was a Sunday morning Cowboy junkie before I was old enough to walk. I’m a Midnight Cowboy man myself.

Jellybean
December 29th, 2020, 19:06
Oh Jellybean.
10p to get in plus 10p for sweets. Walk home and nip in the toy shop to look at Little Big Man which for some reason I preferred to Action Man even with his swivel eyes, grip hands and pull string talking.

Crikey, 10p you say arsenal, that’s expensive at 2/- (two shillings or 24 pennies in pre-decimal money). I recall the usual charge was 6d (six pennies) and, on one occasion, the price jumped up to a barely affordable 9d for a one off showing of the Beatles film, A Hard Day’s Night. I recall there was a lot of screaming at the sight of John, George, Paul and Ringo - even amongst the girls! :)

I’m surprised some aren’t referring to being able to exchange jam jars for entry to the pictures from after the war was on :-)

Still you can’t half tell the membership here are “rich” as some of us were more about clubbing our money together to get maybe one person in, who then opened the fire exit to enable another 20 or so of us to rush in before they could work out who was who !! Ha we all thought we were being very cutting edge criminal and edgy and the time, in hind sight I think the manager knew fine well what was going on and put it down to the cost of doing business with the rest of us just perhaps, bless him . . .

No jam jars accepted in payment in my day, NIrish-guy, but I do recall my father telling us that’s what he and his sisters and brothers paid, although we kids thought he was pulling our legs. Jam jars, nah, surely not?

And my generation were not above a little bit of naughtiness too. Once a year, on our birthdays, we were sent a birthday card by the Odeon/ Gaumont chain of cinemas, which permitted us one free entry with a friend. But not only did we watch The Little Rascals, we were a bunch of little rascals and used the same birthday card to gain us free entry week after week until we were eventually caught. Well, times were hard then, and we used the money saved to buy extra sweets. ;)

Don't get me started. I was a Sunday morning Cowboy junkie before I was old enough to walk.

Remember these:
Cheyenne, Sugar Foot, The Rifleman, Bronco Lane, Bonanza, Rawhide, Wagon Train, Cisco Kid, Branded, Wagon Train, Gunsmoke, The Rebel.

I sure do, Dodger, and don’t forget the cowboy series, Laramie, it was a favourite of mine, with a few of the leading men catching my eye. Ah-ha! Looks like the writing was on the wall, even at such a young age.

https://youtu.be/QEgUkpN-2Bk

Smiles
December 29th, 2020, 19:30
"Crikey"? Jelly.

I thought that was Ozzie slang and as such walking about spewing things like "oey mate" and the indecipherable "fair dincomb".
I would have thought you were brought up in the deeper parts of Wimbledon or Chelsea, or perhaps Holland Walk.
I have never been very good at picking out the aristocracy just by walking past them

a447
December 29th, 2020, 19:43
I remember as a kid going to the Saturday matinee to watch the Phantom - "the ghost who walks".

I was mesmerised by his mask, intrigued by his intelligence and spellbound by his strength.

But most of all I was captivated by his crotch.

Even at such a young age my future sexuality was staring me in the face. Scary!

Jellybean
December 29th, 2020, 22:52
"Crikey"? Jelly.

I thought that was Ozzie slang and as such walking about spewing things like "oey mate" and the indecipherable "fair dincomb".
I would have thought you were brought up in the deeper parts of Wimbledon or Chelsea, or perhaps Holland Walk.
I have never been very good at picking out the aristocracy just by walking past them

Smiles, my intention was to use the word ‘crikey’ as an expression of surprise, like, ‘Oh my’, see the Free Dictionary (https://www.thefreedictionary.com/crikey) explanation.

And, until you mentioned it, I wasn’t aware of the Australian connection, but according to the website, Spiible, (https://spiible.com/news/understanding-australian-slang) when discussing - Understanding Australian "Slang", it states, amongst other things:

Another is a word used commonly by the late Steve Irwin, “crikey,” which is Australian slang for “oh my god”.

Which fits in nicely with my intended use of the word. A word, incidentally, which I have used on a regular basis over nearly ten years as a member of Sawatdee. It could even be considered as my identifying trademark word of choice, just as 'apposite' was the . . . er . . . no, on reflection, I had better not go there. ;)

As for my background, certainly not Wimbledon, Chelsea or Holland Park, although I worked at the tax offices dealing with those areas when I lived in London. There were rich pickings to be had from the complex tax affairs of many of their wealthy residents, much to the great benefit of Her Majesty’s Exchequer. No, I come from a much humbler background, the tenement slums of Edinburgh. :)

And, just to brighten up an otherwise dry post, here’s a recent photo taken of Edinburgh Castle at night with a ‘Thank you’ message to our National Health Service key workers.