PDA

View Full Version : List of Countries Grows as U.K. Covid Crisis Intensifies

Manforallseasons
December 21st, 2020, 11:48
Several countries continue to add to the list of countries banning travel to and from the U.K. hopefully Thailand will follow suit.

cdnmatt
December 21st, 2020, 12:12
Well, they said they wanted their sovereignty back with Brexit.

There, about as separitist as you can get now.

e

Nirish guy
December 21st, 2020, 20:11
That's it, I cant take any more shit that 2020 intends to throw at us here in the UK, I'm taking to the drink and then taking to my bed, someone come get me when it's 2021 !

cdnmatt
December 21st, 2020, 21:00
I guess this new strain was first identified back in September, so probably a little late to start closing borders to the UK now anyway.

Nirish guy
December 21st, 2020, 21:12
Any truth in the rumour that its actually the EU who have released this latest strain into the UK and not China this time all to help them finally get THEIR preferred "deal" with Boris would of course be pure speculation - as if the thought of lorries queued for miles at the docks to leave the UK due to a Brexit "no deal" wasn't to concentrate peoples minds the images today off the "virus" lorries queue back up the motorways certainly tend to add to that general feeling of "oh this is one right fucking mess we're getting ourselves into her guys!" Which I'm sure the EU are quietly loving just now.

* PS I dont ACTUALLY think the EU has anything to do with this, I'll leave all that kind of thinking to the Trump Supporters..........

arsenal
December 21st, 2020, 21:52
France has said that they're hoping a system.can be put in place within hours to keep the freight moving. I hope so too and like the fact that they've stopped talking about fish for a while. We've known for a while about the mink strain. Mink...nothing good ever comes from farming that animal.

cdnmatt
December 21st, 2020, 22:02
I'm curious, is everyone going to pile onto the UK now for not divulging the new strain sooner? Is the UK going to get sued for $6 trillion like China is?

gerefan2
December 21st, 2020, 22:08
Several countries continue to add to the list of countries banning travel to and from the U.K. hopefully Thailand will follow suit.

Don’t you think they would be better spending time looking at their western neighbours?

Nirish guy
December 22nd, 2020, 02:52
I'm curious, is everyone going to pile onto the UK now for not divulging the new strain sooner? Is the UK going to get sued for $6 trillion like China is?

hey hey HEY dont start on US, we DID declare this a while ago so it's not OUR fault and we're sure as shit not taking the blame ! As in case you forget WE didn't start it ! You need to go and talk to CHI - NA ( I think that's how it's pronounced in the White House still) and send them the bill - anyway, we've no money left so send your writs all you want as after Covid and Brexit you'll be getting FUCK all out of us my friend of THAT you can be sure ! :) And Hey you're meant to be a Canadian, you're meant to be our friend !! TURNCOAT ! :-p :-)

cdnmatt
December 22nd, 2020, 03:18
And Hey you're meant to be a Canadian, you're meant to be our friend !! TURNCOAT ! :-p :-)

heh, true, true.... I should watch my mouth a little here, less I anger my Queen. :)

goji
December 22nd, 2020, 07:19
As far as I can see, no one knows where the new variant originated. The UK just happens to have collected data. Since the data shows it's had a rapidly increasing proportion of the infections, it doesn't take much thought to conclude it's more infectious.
As it's been around for months, this will already be in more than one country.

Thailand has no need to stop visitors from the UK, as the quarantine regime prevents covid getting out from tourists. As stated earlier, it's arrivals from Burma that Thailand needs to take care with.

StevieWonders
December 22nd, 2020, 08:16
As far as I can see, no one knows where the new variant originated. The UK is the most likely candidate -
" To date, scientists have not identified any closely related viruses to support the theory that the variant had been introduced from abroad. The patterns of mutations observed are more supportive of an extended period of adaptive evolution most likely in the UK, based on current data."
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/21/new-covid-strain-six-key-questions-answered
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-21/coronavirus-new-strain-uk-more-infectious/13003008

goji
December 22nd, 2020, 09:20
One more point. Tourist arrivals, including those from the UK have 15 nights quarantine. If we fail one of the covid tests during quarantine, we are sent to hospital, whether we have symptoms or not.

Have the 500 people from Myanmar been sent to hospital ? I've not read anything stating that. I guess Thailand has less interest when the migrant workers do not have an insurance policy to be milked.

cdnmatt
December 22nd, 2020, 09:49
Personally, I'm still waiting to hear Thailand's vaccination plan. I know they ordered enough of the Oxford vaccine for 13 million people, but that still leaves 53.5 million people to go....

goji
December 22nd, 2020, 12:59
Personally, I'm still waiting to hear Thailand's vaccination plan. I know they ordered enough of the Oxford vaccine for 13 million people, but that still leaves 53.5 million people to go....

Good question.

The UK has ordered something like 5 vaccine doses per person. OK, so I know we have a higher GDP, but the Astra Zeneca vaccine costs naff all & is way cheaper than the economic restrictions.
I'd imagine Thailand would need to vaccinate all over 50s just to cover the highest risk people and the number of doses ordered is nowhere near enough.

cdnmatt
December 22nd, 2020, 15:09
Well, shit... I guess due to the new strain, our existing testing capability is out the window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUMMRDyzNv0
And sounds like there's a chance the vaccine is out the window as well. From what she said, the mutation happened within the S protein, which I guess is that spike part of the virus which hooks into your healthy cells to hijack them. That's what our testing looks for, and what both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines protect against (not sure about Oxford one). However, I do know both of those mRNA vaccines train the body to build just the spikes / S protein, then train the immune system to fight against it, effectively turning your body into a factory.

If that spike has changed though, then I think that means everything is out the window. I ugess wait for more research to come in, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Jellybean
December 22nd, 2020, 22:35
Following receipt of a report from a member via the red triangle icon, some posts in this topic have been moved to a new thread with the title, The Windsors & associated matters.

To contribute to the new topic, please click on the following link:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?21763-The-Windsors-amp-and-associated-matters

Nirish guy
December 22nd, 2020, 23:56
Ah jesus can we stop with all the daft breaking up and moving of lets face all fairly unimportant threads ( if anything on the board is THAT important in the first place even).

I do realise the mods are simply acting on "the rules" and then whoever thinks it's necessary or fun or a piss take to "report" things - I mean come on guys really, you have NOTHING better to do ( and that's the reporters rather than the Mods there I'm talking about btw ? )

Just out of interest Mods without naming names so is that the same 2 or 3 guys ( or ONE ) guy always hitting the report button, if so surely a "wind your neck in" message might be more apt, but if it is 10 different posters then "fair enough" I guess, but I'd be surprised and disappointed if that were the case AND they actually meant it and weren't also just playing along in taking the piss be reporting for the sake of it. Surely this task can be left solely up to the Mods to deal with without the need for people "reporting" anything anyway for dear sake?

I always think of the board as like walking into very own our local bar, and if you walked up to said bar table where a few friends were gathered chatting and at a suitable moment started talking and (one?) of them instantly shouted STOP at once, we're not talking about THAT we're talking about THIS ! and THIS is the only subject to be discussed at this table !. That would just be weird. Conversations (and topics) ebb and flow and that's surely a good thing ( especially on a quiet board just now) IMHO and just because some people like one strict topic to be adhered to at all times ( or at least the opportunity to complain if they feel its not) surely there has to be some common sense applied as to the reporting and moving of same. Surely - No ? Or are we all really getting THAT anal now? sigh :-(

Brad the Impala
December 23rd, 2020, 00:33
Indeed Nirish, my guess is that you are right that it's one or two posters who think they have the right to determine the course of the conversation. That is what stifles the posting not the deviation from a charted course.

I thought "THE RED TRIANGLE" was for reporting a post including the few subjects that we may not discuss or breaking "the rules". Since when is deviation a rule breaker! All this use of the D word reminds me of Just a Minute(a radio programme).

latintopxxx
December 23rd, 2020, 03:08
...if this carries on it will kill the to nad fro discussion...kill the ambiance...kill the board...

StevieWonders
December 23rd, 2020, 03:11
I can put it no more succinctly than a recent post on this very point by goji:
It's both common and correct to move off topic posts to a different thread. Anyone interested can go to the new thread. The rest of us can ignore it.It’s in the “Indian employees” thread.

cdnmatt
December 23rd, 2020, 03:18
Well whoever complained about the thread going off topic now needs to complain again, so we can all have a new thread dedicated to us complaining about the complainer and subsequent mod actions.

This is fun. :)
n

StevieWonders
December 23rd, 2020, 03:41
Well whoever complained about the thread going off topic now needs to complain again, so we can all have a new thread dedicated to us complaining about the complainer and subsequent mod actions.

This is fun. :)
nIsn’t discussion of Moderator decisions subject to omerta?

cdnmatt
December 23rd, 2020, 03:48
Follow your own rules, and quit derailing the thread!

StevieWonders
December 23rd, 2020, 05:13
Follow your own rules, and quit derailing the thread!I’m merely drawing attention to the sterling work goji does keeping us all on the straight and narrow.

Nirish guy
December 23rd, 2020, 09:11
For clarity I’m not questioning the Mods “decisions” if they move threads so be it. I am questioning however the wisdom of enforcing rules so rigidly ( and seemingly at the request of a few people ) when a) I’m sure they’ve better things to do and b) as has already been said it could actually end up stifling more than encouraging posters.

I guess like most things in life the answer lies somewhere in the middle and that’s where the talents of our Mods come in when making decisions based on seemingly never ending “red triangle” reports, which i too had always assumed were intended did serious matters not less important subjects like this.

goji
December 23rd, 2020, 09:27
For clarity I’m not questioning the Mods “decisions” if they move threads so be it. I am questioning however the wisdom of enforcing rules so rigidly ( and seemingly at the request of a few people ) when a) I’m sure they’ve better things to do and b) as has already been said it could actually end up stifling more than encouraging posters.

I don't think moving off topic posts discourages people from posting. Anyone with an interest in the new branch of the topic can go to the new thread and carry on reading or contributing.
What's more likely to discourage quality posting is frequent disruption, trolling or off topic posts. That's already happening.
[I have no objection if this is moved to another thread]

arsenal
December 23rd, 2020, 13:08
Moderating decisions are like those made by town councils, the government, the EU etc etc. You'll probably agree with about half.*

For clarity I press the red triangle on the Easy Rider and Tales from the Dragon threads. I think I've earned the right to do so.

Goji is currently the Red (triangle) Baron.

10, 20, 30, 40, 50 or more.
The Triangle Baron was rackin'up the score.
Posters all tried and posters all died.
The Triangle Baron blew em out the sky.

*Doesn't include me where no one agreed with anything. At least not publicly. Hahaha.

goji
December 23rd, 2020, 14:24
Goji is currently the Red (triangle) Baron.

10, 20, 30, 40, 50 or more.

That's wild & unfounded speculation & belongs in a different thread (although someone else can decide if it's worthy of a red triangle report) :)

Just been to check my inbox and I have ONE red triangle report this month. Directed at a very deserving case.

goji
December 23rd, 2020, 19:29
Well, according to the following data, the UK is responsible for uploading almost half of the global Genome data for covid.

Whilst this isn't my area of expertise, surely a country that takes the trouble to monitor & report such things is more likely to discover variations than those which don't bother ?

StevieWonders
December 24th, 2020, 01:55
Well, according to the following data, the UK is responsible for uploading almost half of the global Genome data for covid.

Whilst this isn't my area of expertise, surely a country that takes the trouble to monitor & report such things is more likely to discover variations than those which don't bother ?
If you are a self-proclaimed non-expert it’s probably wise not to parade your ignorance. Here’s The Grauniad’s take on the two newly discovered mutations and their possible origins (and I’m aware of the shortcomings of that particular newspaper; poor Polly Toynbee is still undergoing grief counselling over the Tories’ spectacular election win and the subsequent Brexit break).

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/23/what-do-we-know-about-the-two-new-covid-19-variants-in-the-uk

Nirish guy
December 24th, 2020, 04:07

Assuming that report is accurate I wonder just out of interest why that is that the UK generate / release the most data ? Is it I wonder that we are genuinely just better at it and have more research labs here or something or are other Countries just a bit shit / lazy at it and not putting in the leg work ? I've no idea which, hence the question?

cdnmatt
December 24th, 2020, 07:02
France at the direction of the WHO was the first to sequence the entire genome.

https://www.pasteur.fr/en/press-area/press-documents/institut-pasteur-sequences-whole-genome-coronavirus-2019-ncov

Not that it really matters any, as KoVid-19 managed to bring all the world's leading researchers together in collaboration.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/world/europe/coronavirus-science-research-cooperation.html

StevieWonders
December 24th, 2020, 08:47
France at the direction of the WHO was the first to sequence the entire genome. Apparently not, Matt. The Chinese released the first sequence of the virus. "Over the weekend of January 11-12, the Chinese authorities shared the full sequence of the coronavirus genome, as detected in samples taken from the first patients". The Pasteur Institute was the first to sequence it in Europe - “On January 24, 2020, the French Ministry of Health confirmed the first three cases of patients affected by the Wuhan coronavirus. On January 29, 2020, the Institut Pasteur, which is responsible for monitoring respiratory viruses in France, sequenced the whole genome of the coronavirus".

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/01/200131114748.htm

Nirish guy
December 24th, 2020, 22:04
Apparently not, Matt. The Chinese released the first sequence of the virus.

I wonder when reading the genome results did it say 'MADE in China" anywhere on it though ?