PDA

View Full Version : Sawatdeenetwork history

Brad the Impala
December 17th, 2020, 14:49
dab69... Looks like you and I have the oldest accounts that are still around.

I think several of us joined in 2004, and are still around. Perhaps we should have a head count..........

Nirish guy
December 17th, 2020, 16:51
Some of us have (new) accounts that dont reflect our actual joining date as a certain childish ex owner decided in a fit of spite to delete several posters accounts meaning their new account only shows their latest joining date and not the original.

Manforallseasons
December 17th, 2020, 18:50
Some of us have (new) accounts that dont reflect our actual joining date as a certain childish ex owner decided in a fit of spite to delete several posters accounts meaning their new account only shows their latest joining date and not the original.

This is one of the things that pushed Scottishguy over the edge.

latintopxxx
December 18th, 2020, 00:43
...nah...he's pissed he's still part of the UK

Dboy
December 19th, 2020, 08:00
I think several of us joined in 2004, and are still around. Perhaps we should have a head count..........

Would be interesting...guess I'm feeling nostalgic lately.

Smiles
December 19th, 2020, 10:31
(Somewhat off topic, just for Francoise.)

Would be interesting...guess I'm feeling nostalgic lately.
As far as I know 2004 is the earliest year you can find.

Sawatdee (the only name it has been called) has had 4 message board formats:

A very basic board which I have forgotten the name of. (around 2001 ~ early 2002)
Ezy-Board (around 2002 ~ 2003)
phpBB (around 2003 ~ 2008)
vBulletin (to this day)

I could easily be somewhat wrong to any of these, I'm not doing well with lists these days. Brad the Impala was one of those very early members at the get go, and there are some ~ very "some" ~ whom are still doddering around the joint.
And yes, Latineatmyasspoxx has been here a very long time as well.
Many are 6 feet under.

Sen Yai
December 19th, 2020, 12:19
Well, I'm still here too - reading all the wisdom and nonsense posted on this board in equal measure.

I was a member of all the earlier incarnations of 'Sawatdee' too, as listed above dating back to 2001 (although I think it might have been a little earlier) I was also a contributor to the forum on DreadedNed back in '98. But I was very young at that time and I'm not yet 'doddering' thank you Smiles!

In those early days there were some great characters with names like Ronda Roundheels and Man Farang who were around for many years, but not seen lately. And there were some strange characters called Drivel and White Man's Burden who I believe might still be 'doddering around' somewhere.....

Oliver2
December 19th, 2020, 13:43
My abiding memory of those early days was of the internecine cyber-war conducted by a half dozen members who detested each other with an unbridled passion. I later speculated that maybe they really were good mates who would meet in Panorama for a beer and enjoy the reactions of the rest of us. For them, it was just a game. I hope so.

Now we live and post in more civilised times. Usually.

Armando
December 21st, 2020, 08:33
Ah how the memory of Beachlover fades!

dinagam
December 21st, 2020, 11:12
Ah how the memory of Beachlover fades!

I strongly suspect that he is still posting with the aid of the Braille machine.

a447
December 21st, 2020, 14:17
Beachlover faded away in 2014, I think.

goji
December 21st, 2020, 15:08

All was going rather well back in the summer, then more recently the balance has been upset.

The reality is that now and again, trolls will show up, take over and drive away the constructive input.
Then eventually they overstep the mark, have membership terminated and things start picking up again, as the cycle repeats.

Armando
March 1st, 2021, 10:27
I read somewhere recently that in his real incarnation he was the moderator of the Cruising for Sex South-East Asia site. If so, then he may be in his dotage as that site has been dying for years.

Zebedee
March 13th, 2021, 15:57

I read somewhere recently that in his real incarnation he was the moderator of the Cruising for Sex South-East Asia site. If so, then he may be in his dotage as that site has been dying for years.

It would be really interesting to know the full story regarding Beachlover, he was a prolific poster whose life was lived online, or so it seemed to me.
Was he employed by the board? If not what was wrong with him? Was he a convict serving a life sentence with access to the internet? I just don't understand how a normal person could live like that?

Armando
March 14th, 2021, 14:16
Beachlover was merely a fantasy from beginning to end, admittedly an infuriating one. That anyone could actually take him seriously was the funny thing. The way he described nearly always staying in 5 star hotels in Bangkok but had never heard of the Sukhothai Hotel which pre-covid was usually cruise central on holidays. The way his photos always had blacked out anything that could possibly identify him. The way he always kept avoiding meeting up with the then owner of gaythailand board, the way .....

So much of what he wrote and the style of his writing reminds one of sglad/Sugargrandpa/SugarDad on this Board. The first two were outed as a hydra but are still listed as members. I'm betting the third belongs to the same stable.

StevieWonders
March 14th, 2021, 14:53
Conspiracy theories reflect how we intuitively understand the world and events in it. The human brain did not evolve to process complex information about global politics, economics or science. It evolved to survive on the African savannah where threats and hostile intentions were a daily reality.

Under these circumstances it pays to assume that unseen threats are lurking everywhere, that “outgroups” have malign intent, or that coincidental events are causally related. The cost of holding these assumptions was minimal, but the cost of not holding them was often death. Natural selection favoured the conspiratorial mindset.

Our brains have other cognitive biases that make us susceptible to conspiracy theories. One is proportionality bias, a belief that major events have major causes. Intentionality bias makes us assume that events are planned by somebody or something. Confirmation bias means we seek out evidence that supports our beliefs. And the illusion-of-understanding bias makes us overestimate our knowledge of how things work.

Conspiracy theories can also paradoxically be emotionally reassuring. They provide truthful-sounding explanations for events that otherwise seem inexplicable, random or capricious, and often make your political opponents look bad. They can also give believers a pleasing sense of superiority because they – and sometimes they alone – have seen through the lies and cover-ups to reveal the “truth”.

Personality type also plays a part. People who are naturally suspicious of received wisdom and authority are more likely to believe.

Conspiracy theories are often utterly preposterous and totally lacking in credible evidence, but they are almost impossible to disprove, at least in the minds of believers. No amount of counter-evidence can refute them, and in fact this evidence often reinforces them because it can be dismissed as part of the conspiracy.

https://www.newscientist.com/term/conspiracy-theories/

Zebedee
March 14th, 2021, 20:33
Beachlover was merely a fantasy from beginning to end, admittedly an infuriating one. That anyone could actually take him seriously was the funny thing. The way he described nearly always staying in 5 star hotels in Bangkok but had never heard of the Sukhothai Hotel which pre-covid was usually cruise central on holidays. The way his photos always had blacked out anything that could possibly identify him. The way he always kept avoiding meeting up with the then owner of gaythailand board, the way .....

So much of what he wrote and the style of his writing reminds one of sglad/Sugargrandpa/SugarDad on this Board. The first two were outed as a hydra but are still listed as members. I'm betting the third belongs to the same stable.

The point I was trying to make was how someone could devote so much time to a forum, i.e. little or no life outside of the forum! I never believed he was just a regular guy . So he was either payed to do it, or was one of the moderators/admin, in which case the board were complicit in all the problems Beachlover caused.....but it brought in viewers / clicks...so they ( the board ) encouraged it. To them its just business, to genuine posters it was infuriating. Unless there is another explanation, but he was not "just a poster troll".I wouldn't even bother about the subjects of his posts.

goji
March 14th, 2021, 23:13
So he was either payed to do it, or was one of the moderators/admin, in which case the board were complicit in all the problems Beachlover caused.....but it brought in viewers / clicks...so they ( the board ) encouraged it.
Beachlover also plagued other forums. In one case, I think his membership was finally terminated after a number of members complained simultaneously.

Armando
March 15th, 2021, 11:52
The point I was trying to make was how someone could devote so much time to a forum, i.e. little or no life outside of the forum! I never believed he was just a regular guy . So he was either payed to do it, or was one of the moderators/admin, in which case the board were complicit in all the problems Beachlover caused.....but it brought in viewers / clicks...so they ( the board ) encouraged it. To them its just business, to genuine posters it was infuriating. Unless there is another explanation, but he was not "just a poster troll".I wouldn't even bother about the subjects of his posts.
Much as he was loathed and much as he wrote, since he knew exactly the persona he was trying to present, I suspect his posts would not have taken up more than an hour a day. He never really wrote at length if I recall correctly. On the other hand, if he was as old as we expect he was, arthritis may have cramped his typing speed more than somewhat :))

StevieWonders
March 15th, 2021, 13:42
Much as he was loathed and much as he wrote, since he knew exactly the persona he was trying to present, I suspect his posts would not have taken up more than an hour a day. He never really wrote at length if I recall correctly. On the other hand, if he was as old as we expect he was, arthritis may have cramped his typing speed more than somewhat :))He had his detractors but he certainly wasn’t universally loathed. He and Matt carried on a great bromance, for example, exchanging self-righteous platitudes that they, the self-proclaimed youngest members of the Forum, would never do anything as louche as renting a prostitute. Undoubtedly this got up the noses of the Forum Maiden Aunts. My favourite thread was where one older member “recollected” that he had picked Beachlover up still in his school uniform in a public lavatory in Sydney and duly rogered him. There was possibly some suggestion that money had changed hands. Those were the days

Surfcrest
April 12th, 2021, 01:46

No...that was you!

Surfcrest

pong
May 15th, 2021, 18:22
Hm, this seems a bit strange to me. In fact I cannot check when I first logged in/got registered, as that hotmail account has been deleted.
However, when it was active I have much better memories and thanks for the CFS-SEA forum as it was much more informative and without the money police/tradeunionism prevailing here and on the other forum. It mostly also very well succeeded in finding other places as around Silom. From a fairly recent read the moderator of then is still there-or at least one using the same name and informative also as ever and not abusive at all, rather helpful indeed. Which thus rather contradicts the above.
For others who even care about is; pong is the same pong in the other fora, just recently I had to start a new pong2, due to some incomprehensible @mail errors.