PDA

View Full Version : You Don’t Need A Visa!

Manforallseasons
December 15th, 2020, 18:00

goji
December 15th, 2020, 20:02
No visa required & without the visa you get 30 days, which typically amounts to 29 days since they count the part days when you arrive and depart as whole days.
From that subtract quarantine of 14 days, which is actually 15 nights as the day of arrival doesn't count (note the inconsistency !)
So, after finishing quarantine, there are typically 14 days left.

Of course, it is possible to go down to immigration and get another 30 days. However, to get the ratio of holidays to quarantine back to something more palatable, I suggest applying for a 60 day tourist visa and getting a 30 day extension on top of that.

Of course, at the current rate of progress, by about mid-January, they will probably make some sudden announcement as that the quarantine period is shortened.

As I look out of my hotel window, the largest hotel in sight has no lights on at all on 17 out of the top 18 floors. With that kind of occupancy, there must be some economic pressure to keep relaxing restrictions.

christianpfc
December 15th, 2020, 20:25
That was quick!

Freer visa rules to cabinet Ministry lobbies for tourism revival published : 11 Dec 2020
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2033363/freer-visa-rules-to-cabinet

The Interior Ministry will seek cabinet approval for a proposal to extend visa exemption for foreign tourists from 56 countries from 30 to 45 days in a bid to attract more tourist arrivals to revive the economy battered by Covid-19.

That's a move in the right direction, but for reasons goji has pointed out, will draw nowhere near the tourist numbers pre-covid.

I'm in Cambodia and as soon as they drop the requirement of quarantine (I had two weeks quarantine here and I will not do it again), which is reasonable considering Covid numbers in Cambodia are at similar, very low, level as in Thailand, I will come over.

Newbie99
December 18th, 2020, 11:22
Visa exempt has been renewed for certain countries, for 30 days. An additional 15 days for Visa Exempt is being considered.

I need to get back to Thailand to get my stuff out of a storage locker and back into my condo, so 14 days works for me. Obviously, casual tourists are not going to be enticed by this.

Newbie99
December 25th, 2020, 16:15
The Thai Cabinet approved the 15 day extension.