PDA

View Full Version : Xmas reading

StevieWonders
December 5th, 2020, 04:29
For those interested in current affairs some recently published books will make interesting additions to your virtual Xmas stocking (via Kindle):

Kleptopia: how dirty money is conquering the world
Putin’s People
Twilight of democracy

And for those interested in modern perversions (the “trans” cult), Irreversible damage

snotface
December 13th, 2020, 12:27
I don't read many newly-published books - quite enough good ones already in print (mainly novels in my case) that I never got round to. Putin's People looks like one that might interest me. The only book published this year that I’ve read is The Peer and the Gangster by Daniel Smith which focuses on the relationship between Lord Boothby and Ronnie Kray. Lots of juicy gay details (Labour MP Tom Driberg features prominently too) but essentially it's a well-researched, non-sensational account of the postwar British political scene and establishment figures doing what they do best - covering up.

StevieWonders
December 13th, 2020, 12:47
I don't read many newly-published books - quite enough good ones already in print (mainly novels in my case) that I never got round to. Putin's People looks like one that might interest me. The only book published this year that I’ve read is The Peer and the Gangster by Daniel Smith which focuses on the relationship between Lord Boothby and Ronnie Kray. Lots of juicy gay details (Labour MP Tom Driberg features prominently too) but essentially it's a well-researched, non-sensational account of the postwar British political scene and establishment figures doing what they do best - covering up.
I absolutely loved Boothby’s reported comment (in the book) that he’d only started fucking Lady Dorothy Macmillan because she reminded him of a caddie he’d once had on a golf course.

Brad the Impala
December 13th, 2020, 17:46
Lots of juicy gay details (Labour MP Tom Driberg features prominently too) but essentially it's a well-researched, non-sensational account of the postwar British political scene and establishment figures doing what they do best - covering up.

You might also enjoy the recently published The Glamour Boys, which is a similar mix and covering the period in the build up to WW2.

They were attacked as warmongers, threatened with deselection and despised by Neville Chamberlain, who branded them “the Glamour Boys”. Yet a new book has claimed that a group of gay MPs were among the first to warn Britain about the danger Hitler posed. Four of them later died in action.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/oct/04/the-glamour-boys-gay-mps-who-gave-early-warning-of-nazi-threat

StevieWonders
December 20th, 2020, 05:11
Anyone who reads my post completely and with honest intentions will see that I've also referred to extensive experience of Indians working in another profession.
I've also taken care to state my experiences were with Indian educated Indians and pointed out that when the same race go through the UK education system, they're at least at the same level as the locals.

Only a professional troll intent on stirring up sh*t and driving good people away from the forum would conclude that's racism.
If we had some pruning of the membership list, the board would see more content from members with positive intent. When it's dragged down in this way, why bother ?I have referred the matter to my great friend Titania McGrath for adjudication. You can find her dispensing her wit and wisdom on Twitter.