PDA

View Full Version : Pattaya’s Population Shrinks By 300,000 Amid Crisis

Manforallseasons
November 18th, 2020, 19:08
https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattayas-population-shrinks-by-300000-amid-tourism-shutdown-334155

Armando
November 20th, 2020, 11:31
https://www.pattayamail.com/latestnews/news/pattayas-population-shrinks-by-300000-amid-tourism-shutdown-334155
Another stupid article and equally stupid post. It simply points out that the sex workers and other entertainment providers have left the city. Is there actually any reader here who is not surprised at this scoop? I don’t know any other who trawls the rag for such idiotic posts!

goji
November 20th, 2020, 15:47
The article also puts some figures on the number of non-locals normally in Pattaya and the reduction in numbers due to covid. Apparently sourced from the authorities.
I doubt many board members could quantify this themselves.

Also, which is the most idiotic ? The opening post, or the abusive reply ?

Armando
November 20th, 2020, 21:06
I
The article also puts some figures on the number of non-locals normally in Pattaya and the reduction in numbers due to covid. Apparently sourced from the authorities.
I doubt many board members could quantify this themselves.

I cannot work out why anyone reading sawatdee would wish to know that “at its busiest” Pattaya has 500,000 Thais whose residences are registered elsewhere and that this number is now 200,000. But clearly some do. I’d have thought reading many of the posts here stating that Pattaya was suffering badly due to the pandemic that it was perfectly obvious.

You forgot to mention the other fact that Pattaya normally has 500 tons of garbage each day but that due to Covid this has fallen to 200. How positively fascinating! That’s another tidbit from the article you found so factual.

latintopxxx
November 21st, 2020, 00:55
...as soon as the walking wallets return...they will flock back in a tidal wave...only a short bus ride away...I too would relocate to a low cost location if my money source dried up...

Marc K
November 21st, 2020, 06:49
...as soon as the walking wallets return...they will flock back in a tidal wave...

It's a chicken-n-egg game, LTX. Too few "walking wallets" are going to be willing to jump through all the Thai immigration hoops. I know I am not going to put up with all of them.

And the "wallet takers" are not likely to flood back until they know there is a stable market for their services. Lord only knows when that will be!

My guess is that during high-season 2021-2022 we might see some semblance of the old Pattaya. But that might be way too optimistic I fear.

Armando
November 21st, 2020, 09:40
I’d have thought the answer is clear, especially as you are so fascinated by the number of locals who live in Pattaya and the amount of garbage now being collected.

arsenal
November 21st, 2020, 10:12
I think you'll find that most of us are fascinated by pretty much anything to do with Pattaya. Isnt that why you've asked about flight prices? As if anyone in the world can answer that question given the variables.

Armando
November 21st, 2020, 12:43
I think you'll find that most of us are fascinated by pretty much anything to do with Pattaya. Isnt that why you've asked about flight prices? As if anyone in the world can answer that question given the variables.
You don’t read! I asked about flight prices specifically stressing the much higher prices being offered by Singapore Airlines and Cathay Pacific re the travel bubble between the two that starts this weekend.

As for Pattaya, I guess you’ll want to know the volume of raw sewage pumped into the sea and how much that has gone down due to recent events! Talk about people getting so worked up about what has been obvious for months! Judging by the near vitriolic contents of so many posts, the attention given to mine is just mind blowing.

Manforallseasons
November 21st, 2020, 12:48
Armando, you are a miserable old queen!

Armando
November 21st, 2020, 13:32
Armando, you are a miserable old queen!
What is it they say? It takes one ...... .. At least I don’t post useless posts from a useless local rag. Although not from that rag, remember these words of wisdom made as a separate post?

“Is 500,000 Baht Bank Balance New Norm For A Thai Tourist VISA”

That died and was proved wrong in a matter of hours!

Dodger
November 21st, 2020, 15:07
Well, there may be less people and less garbage, but there sure as hell aren't any fewer dogs. Maybe that accounts for the reduction in garbage. Those dam things are eating it all.

I was cruising on my motorbike from Bang Saray to Pattaya yesterday morning and got surrounded by the largest herd of mangy looking mongrels' that I've ever seen in one place in my life. There must have been a hundred. Several of them were fighting with each other, and one, who was missing an ear, ran past me with somebody's shoe in its mouth.

Then I caught a glimpse of another bastard out of the corner of my eye just in time, as he lunged off the curb and started chasing me - all the time growling ferociously like some fucking beast out of a movie. I cranked the accelerator to get away from him - and he kept coming. I cranked the throttle more until I was flying. and the dam thing was still on my heels. I must have pissed off a fucking greyhound. I finally escaped after having a can of ice coffee I had in my cup holder splashed all over my legs. I wanted to kill that fucker.

I know Pattaya usually performs a random dog catching mission to round-up the soi dogs, but maybe they left town as well. Whatever the reason, the dogs are growing in numbers and having a blast.

Zebedee
November 21st, 2020, 16:17
Dodger did you give the attached TV news interview on the dog attack?

https://youtu.be/uSe71lrfvHk

goji
November 21st, 2020, 17:01
Whatever the reason, the dogs are growing in numbers and having a blast.

Perhaps the trade for Vietnamese restaurants has died off if there are border restrictions? I would suggest the Thai government should make exceptions to facilitate a resumption of this trade.

Dodger
November 21st, 2020, 18:09
Dodger did you give the attached TV news interview on the dog attack?

No, but I can relate with the guy in the video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULoLazAG9ug

dinagam
November 21st, 2020, 18:14
Corral them dogs and send them to nearby crocodile farms as feed, thus killing two birds with one stone.
Grilled crocodile meat is quite tasty with a springy texture.

arsenal
November 21st, 2020, 19:22
"As for Pattaya, I guess you’ll want to know the volume of raw sewage pumped into the sea and how much that has gone down due to recent events"

Gone down in Pattaya but gone up here since August 31st.

Armando
November 21st, 2020, 19:26
"As for Pattaya, I guess you’ll want to know the volume of raw sewage pumped into the sea and how much that has gone down due to recent events"

Gone down in Pattaya but gone up here since August 31st.
The holier than thou brigade has started to appear, I see.

Zebedee
November 21st, 2020, 19:46
Well, there may be less people and less garbage, but there sure as hell aren't any fewer dogs. Maybe that accounts for the reduction in garbage. Those dam things are eating it all.

I was cruising on my motorbike from Bang Saray to Pattaya yesterday morning and got surrounded by the largest herd of mangy looking mongrels' that I've ever seen in one place in my life. There must have been a hundred. Several of them were fighting with each other, and one, who was missing an ear, ran past me with somebody's shoe in its mouth.

Then I caught a glimpse of another bastard out of the corner of my eye just in time, as he lunged off the curb and started chasing me - all the time growling ferociously like some fucking beast out of a movie. I cranked the accelerator to get away from him - and he kept coming. I cranked the throttle more until I was flying. and the dam thing was still on my heels. I must have pissed off a fucking greyhound. I finally escaped after having a can of ice coffee I had in my cup holder splashed all over my legs. I wanted to kill that fucker.

I know Pattaya usually performs a random dog catching mission to round-up the soi dogs, but maybe they left town as well. Whatever the reason, the dogs are growing in numbers and having a blast.

Seriously, I can imagine that would have been a frightening experience,one savage dog is bad but you would have no chance against a pack of dogs.Had you fallen from your motorbike you could have been savaged to death.

arsenal
November 21st, 2020, 20:22
In fact most of those dogs are not chasing, they're racing. Shoot past and they'll try to catch you but go slow and they won't bother. This is my experience but if anyone ends up as a dogs dinner* it's not my fault.

* Different meaning of course but several of you probably are already.

JayToff
November 21st, 2020, 20:37

One can imagine the bar boys of Pattaya sharing similar stories with great regularity but substituting the word "farang" for "mongrel".

goji
November 22nd, 2020, 00:31
I wanted to kill that fucker.
What you need is a solid old car, such as a Land Rover or Jeep. Then drive straight over the damn thing, no matter where it is.

latintopxxx
November 22nd, 2020, 01:35
i susupect they were bored and lonely and wanted to play...no self respecting mangy stray homeless flea/worm infested dog would want to risk its life chewing on your old carcass

goji
November 22nd, 2020, 03:32
Looking at the 300,000 reduction in population from the other side, perhaps it's easier to find a willing lad in Cambodia now, just like the old days.

christianpfc
November 23rd, 2020, 18:38
I had only one dangerous encounter with dogs, that was at night on Pratamnak hill. They sleep most of the day and don't care about humans, but at night when I was alone for running, they surrounded me and I had to make a retreat. One even was going to jump at me, but I kept him at bay by brandishing my fist. I read this trick over 20 years ago and only recently found the explanation: dogs cannot grab and throw objects, to them it's magic. Any dog who has ever been hitten by an object thrown by a human will remember for life.

The street dogs are fed by humans. In the current economic downturn, there is less food and some go hungry.

Similar in Lopburi where fights between monkeys broke out over food and monkeys became more intrusive in search of food.

Zoos and elephant camps are affected as well with reports of elephants or tigers starving because management doesn't feed them any more.