PDA

View Full Version : Covid travel insurance WARNING for anyone considering a trip to Thailand

goji
November 18th, 2020, 01:01
I was considering Sainsbury's travel insurance with Covid-19 cover included. [For non-Brits, Sainsburys are a respected national supermarket chain.]

I queried the cover with them directly, as I wanted to know if it would cover being sent to hospital after failing a scheduled covid PCR test in quarantine.

They said the insurance does not cover anything where you have planned tests for covid-19. I couldn't see that in the terms, so questioned it further.

The reply from Sainsbury's was:
(name deleted): "There is an exclusion on this as when you go through the medical declarations it asks if you are waiting for a test or test result, if you need to take a COVID-19 test prior to travel this is included within that question. If you know you need to take a test prior to departure you will not be covered".

So I checked:
The medical declaration asks if you have a pre existing condition ? Yes/No

The answer is naturally no, as I do not have one.

If I click on the INFORMATION button I get the text shown in the image below.

Now, how the hell does that invalidate the insurance ?

Section 4 cannot apply, because of <1% probability of a claim.

Section 3 refers to tests for an "undiagnosed condition". As I don't have any conditions and the test is purely for purposes of prevention of covid transmission, as required by Thailand, any reasonable person would conclude this doesn't apply.

Also the purpose of the "Medical Declaration" is for your own medical condition, not testing required to enter a country.

SO TAKE EXTREME CARE IF LOOKING FOR TRAVEL COVER.

Marc K
November 18th, 2020, 01:51
I know I am a skeptic but... you didn't really expect that a "COVID COVER" was actually a "COVID COVER", did you? You buy the insurance only to satisfy the entry requirement, you don't buy it in the expection that it would actually protect you from medical bills, trip cancellation, testing costs, or anything else. And this is true ofthe vast majority of "travel insurance" options in the world. You buy "peace of mind" not "coverage", with the hope that you actually will never have to file a claim. The sad truth. So my advice? Buy the cheapest plan you can. Lie about any preexisting conditions (if you are over 19, we all have SOMETHING they can use to exercise this exclusion), get the coverage for your CoE. But please be sure that in the end, if that crazy virus were to strike you that you can self-insure for any medical expenses or forfeited deposits you incur.

No goji I am not in the UK, but the idea of buying any insurance from a grocery chain would immediately precondition me to skepticism.

goji
November 18th, 2020, 02:05
I expect travel insurance to pay out, if a claim is within the T&Cs. That's why I answer questions accurately and read the policy before buying.

For people travelling to Thailand at present, anyone who fails a covid test in quarantine is sent to hospital, even if there are no symptoms.
The bill for that is not included in the ASQ package.

Naturally, I want an insurance policy that covers this and the rest of my trip.

StevieWonders
November 18th, 2020, 03:11
I suspect the insurers will claim that having a test is suggestive of a “pre-existing condition” and therefore you’re excluded. Cunning bastards, insurers.

Manforallseasons
November 18th, 2020, 08:27
This is falang owned insurance brokerage in Pattaya they offer Covid only insurance the cost is between 9000-15000 baht depending on age and the term of your stay.

https://www.aainsure.net/

Blueskytoday
November 18th, 2020, 08:32
Insurance, just another expense when trying to visit TH......I have not heard of any other countries demanding Insurance to enter the country

GWMinUS
November 18th, 2020, 11:19
READ ON...
President Trump Friday issued a proclamation requiring most individuals seeking to enter the United States via an immigrant visa to have approved health insurance coverage within 30 days of entry or “the financial resources to pay for reasonably foreseeable medical costs.” The proclamation takes effect Nov.

Moses
November 18th, 2020, 12:08
Insurance, just another expense when trying to visit TH......I have not heard of any other countries demanding Insurance to enter the country

Almost every country demands insurance from tourists.

StevieWonders
November 18th, 2020, 14:14
Almost every country demands insurance from tourists.I can’t think of a single one.

StevieWonders
November 18th, 2020, 14:22
This is falang owned insurance brokerage in Pattaya they offer Covid only insurance the cost is between 9000-15000 baht depending on age and the term of your stay.

https://www.aainsure.net/
I’d have thought that along with Christian and goji, other members intending to try would be posting a daily diary of tips, tricks, successes and failures together with a daily report of life in quarantine (if they make it that far).

Moses
November 18th, 2020, 14:38
I can’t think of a single one.

Well, then you have option to think better. Or just to open Schengen agreement for example and check visa section.

Minimum coverage of at least 30,000 EUR (equivalent to 34,000 USD). It should cover all member states of the Schengen Area. Cover any expenses which might arise in connection with repatriation for medical reasons, urgent health attention and/or emergency hospital treatment or death

StevieWonders
November 18th, 2020, 15:36
Well, then you have option to think better. Or just to open Schengen agreement for example and check visa section.Most of us here are exempt from needing a visa for the Schengen area - that’s for Third World citizens. The same applies to visas to British Commonwealth countries.

Moses
November 18th, 2020, 15:48
Most of us here are exempt from needing a visa for the Schengen area - that’s for Third World citizens. The same applies to visas to British Commonwealth countries.

"Most of you" are just tiny part of the World, less than 15% of human civilization. By the way US citizens require mandatory travel insurance for to visit EU longer than 90 days (again Schengen law).

goji
November 18th, 2020, 16:02

For me, this is irrelevant.
When I travel abroad, I CHOOSE to have insurance, so that I would be covered for any unexpected medical emergencies.
If anyone fails a covid test when in ASQ, Thai policy is to send anyone to hospital, even if no symptoms. So I also want cover for that.
I could almost satisfy the legal requirement to enter Thailand by purchasing a policy off the crooks at Sainsbury's, but of course the ****s invalidate the policy on a very flimsy intepretation of the wording.
[Note: The Thai rules state minimum $100,000 USD cover and this must be stated in USD. However, any fool can see £10 million GBP is more than $100,000 USD and numerous people have been allowed into Thailand with cover quoted in other currencies. This rule is stupid, as I doubt they would accept a cash payment in USD]

This is falang owned insurance brokerage in Pattaya they offer Covid only insurance the cost is between 9000-15000 baht depending on age and the term of your stay. https://www.aainsure.net/Thank you. Do you know people who have made a claim against their insurance ?

I’d have thought that along with Christian and goji, other members intending to try would be posting a daily diary of tips, tricks, successes and failures together with a daily report of life in quarantine (if they make it that far). I imagine Christian will update us about his travels on his blog.
I'm currently negotiating the minefield of small print in order to see if I can have a trip on acceptable terms.

Manforallseasons
November 18th, 2020, 16:27
Thank you. Do you know people who have made a claim against their insurance ?.

AA Insurance are brokers for many companies, I have my regular health insurance through them which happens to include Covid, in the past I have successfully claimed but thankfully not for Covid.

gerefan2
November 19th, 2020, 00:08
...I have not heard of any other countries demanding Insurance to enter the country

I think maybe that should have read:
“I have never heard of any other country demanding too see, inspect, photocopy, validate, check, audit, endorse and ratify any insurance before issuing a mandatory Certificate of Entry/and or Visa to visit the country for a short or limited period of time, however small