PDA

View Full Version : Thailand 2020 Is A Wash!

Manforallseasons
October 24th, 2020, 15:31
All things considered expectations should be for sometime in 2021 depending on the other countries to get their Covid act together. Unfortunately expats living in Thailand also see their lives changed as all venues cater largely to foreigners at least the gay ones. The hurdle other than Covid is a venue’s ability to survive till such a time when foreigners can return in meaningful numbers until such a time I fear the fallout will continue.

Patanawet
October 24th, 2020, 17:19
all venues cater largely to foreigners at least the gay ones..

Not 100 percent true. Balcony and Telephone and Connections in Soi 4 have a greater proportion of Thais.
Wednesday was first day of cold season and Halloween/ Loy Katoey would normally be the start of high season.

Manforallseasons
October 24th, 2020, 19:10
Not 100 percent true. Balcony and Telephone and Connections in Soi 4 have a greater proportion of Thais.
Wednesday was first day of cold season and Halloween/ Loy Katoey would normally be the start of high season.

At the moment to proportion is very much Thai simply because of the absence of foreigners.

Armando
October 24th, 2020, 20:57
Unfortunately expats living in Thailand also see their lives changed as all venues cater largely to foreigners at least the gay ones. The hurdle other than Covid is a venue’s ability to survive till such a time when foreigners can return in meaningful numbers until such a time I fear the fallout will continue.
Surely you mean western foreigners. If present indications come to pass (and we know that nothing is certain) it will be the Asians who return many months before most westerners.

Old git
October 24th, 2020, 21:41
"Surely you mean western foreigners. If present indications come to pass (and we know that nothing is certain) it will be the Asians who return many months before most westerners"

The limiting factor there may well be China not wanting its citizens to travel abroad for fear of bringing the bug back.

Most countries are likely to be heading into a 'post-Covid' state over the next few months, with the bug quietly vanishing into the background and no longer being an issue - except to those who have still had zero contact with it.

We don't know the real numbers in China - they stopped publishing good data a long time ago. However if there are still large cohorts who have had zero exposure to Covid in China, they could still get major outbreaks..

Armando
October 24th, 2020, 22:34
The limiting factor there may well be China not wanting its citizens to travel abroad for fear of bringing the bug back..
China would not want its tourists going to Thailand which has had less than 4,000 cases of the virus? Are you serious? Don't you realise the first batch of Chinese tourists already arrived on Tuesday and the next batch are due on Monday?

Blueskytoday
October 25th, 2020, 03:44
Balcony and Telephone bar...are they open?? are they "any" customers?? I doubt it

Marc K
October 25th, 2020, 06:06
The topic of what makes for a "gay friendly" hotel is an interesting one. You might consider the brand of "The Lalit" hotel chain (https://www.thelalit.com/)in India. It has become very successful, now with 12 large luxury hotels across the subcontinent. It is quite a delight but also very discreet in its own way.

It's special character comes from its owner, a Mr Lalit, who is a well-known gay activist in the country and highly respected. As a result he has been able to project a culture of impeccable taste (as only a gay can do it!) and avoids the trashiness of overt sexuality.

So his model is:

1. Every employee will have the highest respect for all people, especially including his gay customers. Instead of being at the low-end of the pecking order we become his most prized customers.

2. He picks his staff personally. Each one a delight. Yes (I presume) most are straight but they are the kind of approachable model-types which give India its charm (IMO). Especially the room boys are young and so sweet you want to fall in love with each one of them. Their bright smiles alone are enough to lighten your day (in the repressive Delhi heat and pollution). And yes smiles can definitely be found outside the borders of LOS.

3. One night a week the main dining room turns into a gay bar and dance floor. No apologies. All guests know exactly what it is. Some straight couples do come. Some lesbian couples too (really the only place in the whole country where Lesbians can openly congregate). It is a fun night. Alas it is on Thursday nights. A real downer as one has to go to work the next morning but more than a few times I dragged myself up in the morning after a "delightful" night. Indian Army boys often show up. Gay Indian celebrities. Newly wed straight couples. A real menagerie of all kinds, all being respectful towards each other.

4. A "playful" pool with of course lots of eye-candy.

I find the place as a delightful refuge from an otherwise not so accepting Indian world outside the hotel's walls. It's fun, friendly and perfectly proper. (In that sense it reminds me of the attitude at Babylon perhaps.)

Here is the playful toy the linen boys leave in the room with their name card nestled in the trunk:

Dodger
October 25th, 2020, 08:24

......Especially the room boys are young and so sweet you want to fall in love with each one of them.

Will they have sex with you?

StevieWonders
October 25th, 2020, 08:41
Wednesday was first day of cold season and Halloween/ Loy Katoey would normally be the start of high season.”Loy Katoey” - now there’s a festival I’d like to see. As Wednesday was “the first day of the cold season” (by whose calendar?) that may well account for the bare dozen or so customers in Telephone Bar that night but by my reckoning not only were most of them a single group but that group was most definitely not (by far) a “greater proportion of Thais”

a447
October 25th, 2020, 10:16
I will always stay in a "gay" hotel, or at least "gay friendly" when I travel in Asia if I can. I just feel more comfortable in the surroundings and neither I nor my guest have to endure the contemptuous looks of others in the elevator. (That normally affects my guest more so than me.)

In Bangkok I stayed at the Rose Hotel for many years before moving to the Tarntawan. Both ok, but hardly luxurious. Probably 2 stars.

In Pattaya it's been the Ambiance (2 stars) or the Elephant Plaza. I would find it difficult to award any stars to the EP, but it was right in the centre of the action in Sunee and the staff were lovely and the room was cleaned every day. (Just stay away from the filthy old pink sofa which was held together by years of cum).

As I consider the hotel accommodation an important part of my trip, I was always hoping for better options. But I don't think there would be enough gay visitors to Pattaya willing to pay for a bit more luxury and so it would be hard to justify an up-market gay hotel. However, I was always surprised there was nothing in the Silom area in Bangkok, as that is where the majority of gay sex tourists to Thailand go.

Imagine my surprise when I discovered the Arthur and Paul Hotel in Phnom Penh! Now your talking!

It is owned by a gay French couple and is situated on the outskirts of the city, about a 10 minute tuk-tuk ride from downtown. It's a boutique hotel with very few rooms, but they are beautifully appointed and très très chic. The bed is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

It serves French gourmet cuisine, has a stylish pool area and a gay sauna/jacuzzi/ darkroom area next to the pool which can get quite busy with local lads in the late afternoon. The staff are all handsome (but straight allegedly!) but are extremely friendly and fun to talk to. They offer massage services which I was told were strictly non-sexual, but I've since heard that that is not necessarily true.

I paid around US$130 a night (4000 baht) which is rather expensive by Cambodian standards but judging by what you get for your money I consider it a real bargain.

So old git, if you are thinking of opening a gay hotel in Pattaya, please go and take a look at Arthur and Paul. It is all class, although the same can't always be said about the guests who sometimes get a little frisky both in and out of the pool and can't wait until they very back to their room. (Not that I'm complaining!)

Armando
October 25th, 2020, 11:40
Only stayed once in the Ambience. The room was OK but I was put off by the constant noise outside.

Loved the Rabbit Hotel when I could afford to stay there. No problem with joiners. Transport from the beach area to Pattaya was easy. Really felt like being in the countryside. Also stayed in another small hotel that seemed to be totally gay, Le Prive was down a soi between Pattaya and Jomtien but nearer Pattaya. Run by a French guy it had six bungalows set around a nice pool. Only meal served was breakfast. Gate was closed at 10:00pm but all guests were given a key and joiners were definitely encouraged. I heard it has new owners.

Dodger
October 25th, 2020, 14:00
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Flamingo".

Closed now...for how long is anyone's guess.

Nothing but 4 walls and a bed...but back when Pattaya was rocking, it was located right smack-dab in the middle of everything. e.g., Hollywood Disco, a dozen boy karaoke's in Soi Day/Night, and just stumbling distance to Sunee Plaza. Wow!...the memories.

It probably wouldn't even get 1 Star by those who judge these things, but 4 Stars by all the gay guests who called it home back when the lights were flashing.

Andaman!
October 25th, 2020, 15:24
Imagine my surprise when I discovered the Arthur and Paul Hotel in Phnom Penh! Now your talking!

It is owned by a gay French couple and is situated on the outskirts of the city, about a 10 minute tuk-tuk ride from downtown. It's a boutique hotel with very few rooms, but they are beautifully appointed and très très chic. The bed is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

It serves French gourmet cuisine, has a stylish pool area and a gay sauna/jacuzzi/ darkroom area next to the pool which can get quite busy with local lads in the late afternoon. The staff are all handsome (but straight allegedly!) but are extremely friendly and fun to talk to. They offer massage services which I was told were strictly non-sexual, but I've since heard that that is not necessarily true.

I paid around US$130 a night (4000 baht) which is rather expensive by Cambodian standards but judging by what you get for your money I consider it a real bargain.

So old git, if you are thinking of opening a gay hotel in Pattaya, please go and take a look at Arthur and Paul. It is all class, although the same can't always be said about the guests who sometimes get a little frisky both in and out of the pool and can't wait until they very back to their room. (Not that I'm complaining!)

It’s been 5 years since I stayed at A&P. Four-handed massage ended up as a hot threesome including a hot Indian masseur that shot a huge load. Cute bar tended also found my bed more convenient than his after closing time. Also saw a French guest with a huge appendage servicing his boyfriend by the side of the pool. Recommended.

goji
October 25th, 2020, 16:00
I have used the Flamingo in the past and found it to be very satisfactory. Most of the time I paid up for the slightly more expensive "suite", which had a bedroom which didn't face onto the street and was therefore quieter.
The rooms hadn't been refitted for a very long time, however they were cleaned properly and everything worked.

I haven't stayed there for over 6 years.

Now, whilst this was popular with gay visitors, I don't recall it ever being marketed as a gay hotel.

If I attempted to grade hotels, then we could get:
1 Accepts or welcomes gay guests (and their joiners). I've not yet had a problem bringing a lad back to my room anywhere in Thailand.
2 Popular with gay visitors. e.g. Mosaik, Zing
3 Minor signs of promoting gay lifestyle, such as gay magazines in reception. e.g. Om Yim (closed)
4 Marketed as a gay hotel, mainly gay guests. e.g. Lavender Lanna, presumably the Sansuk.

As far as I can remember, every hotel I've stayed at in the last 5 years has been in category 1 or 2.

Having typed "gay hotels Thailand" into google, I see there are still some interesting options in various parts of the country. Might have to keep these in mind for 2021.

Aux1010
October 25th, 2020, 21:14
I will always stay in a "gay" hotel, or at least "gay friendly" when I travel in Asia if I can. I just feel more comfortable in the surroundings and neither I nor my guest have to endure the contemptuous looks of others in the elevator. (That normally affects my guest more so than me.)

In Bangkok I stayed at the Rose Hotel for many years before moving to the Tarntawan. Both ok, but hardly luxurious. Probably 2 stars.

In Pattaya it's been the Ambiance (2 stars) or the Elephant Plaza. I would find it difficult to award any stars to the EP, but it was right in the centre of the action in Sunee and the staff were lovely and the room was cleaned every day. (Just stay away from the filthy old pink sofa which was held together by years of cum).

As I consider the hotel accommodation an important part of my trip, I was always hoping for better options. But I don't think there would be enough gay visitors to Pattaya willing to pay for a bit more luxury and so it would be hard to justify an up-market gay hotel. However, I was always surprised there was nothing in the Silom area in Bangkok, as that is where the majority of gay sex tourists to Thailand go.

A&P was on my list for my next stay in PP (which should have been in in August, fk knows when it will be now)...

Recent trips I've stayed at China Wind Hotel. Pretty basic, but relatively cheap and only a block from Tool Box Bar, which is my main reason to visit PP. In general I prefer to stay somewhere cheaper, in walking / stumbling distance to my favourite bar, rather than somewhere more expensive, and spend the difference on boy drinks / tips.

If anyone has any suggestions on places to stay close to Tool Box I'd appreciate it (and hopefully I can put the suggestion into use sooner that later!!). Blue Corner Hotel looked good, but not sure if it's still operating.

Manforallseasons
October 25th, 2020, 22:08
If anyone has any suggestions on places to stay close to Tool Box I'd appreciate it (and hopefully I can put the suggestion into use sooner that later!!). Blue Corner Hotel looked good, but not sure if it's still operating.

My friend Doug who owns Tool Box recommended Blue Corner where I stayed last year, I had no complaints however, a quick search of google says it is now “Permanently Closed”.

Patanawet
October 26th, 2020, 16:24
[QUOTE=StevieWonders;270542]”Loy Katoey” - As Wednesday was “the first day of the cold season” (by whose calendar?) /QUOTE]

The Thai Meteorological Department and reported in the Bangkok Post " The cold season will officially arrive in Thailand in the final week of this month with cool spells currently felt in many parts of the country an early sign, the Thai Meteorological Department said on Thursday.".

StevieWonders
October 26th, 2020, 19:16
[QUOTE=StevieWonders;270542]”Loy Katoey” - As Wednesday was “the first day of the cold season” (by whose calendar?) /QUOTE]

The Thai Meteorological Department and reported in the Bangkok Post " The cold season will officially arrive in Thailand in the final week of this month with cool spells currently felt in many parts of the country an early sign, the Thai Meteorological Department said on Thursday.".Oddly enough this is the final week of the month so Wednesday last week can’t be the beginning of the cold season? However “calendar” generally refers to a set of dates known to all in advance so I would not set much store in seasonal pronouncements of a weather service as constituting a “calendar”.

Marc K
October 27th, 2020, 04:37

Closed now...for how long is anyone's guess.

Nothing but 4 walls and a bed...but back when Pattaya was rocking, it was located right smack-dab in the middle of everything. e.g., Hollywood Disco, a dozen boy karaoke's in Soi Day/Night, and just stumbling distance to Sunee Plaza. Wow!...the memories.

It probably wouldn't even get 1 Star by those who judge these things, but 4 Stars by all the gay guests who called it home back when the lights were flashing.

I remember Flamingo. The proprietor was a Danish(?) guy, Jaab Klasema. He ran a reasonable establishment. In fact I was surprised when it closed so long ago and that property has been vacant ever since, right?

Jellybean
October 27th, 2020, 05:42
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Flamingo" . . .

I stayed at the Flamingo Hotel twice, Dodger. On two occasions I drove from Bangkok to Pattaya and chose the Flamingo for its location and because I was given my own dedicated car park space outside the hotel. The first time I stayed there was in December 2013. Below is part of my Pattaya trip report that refers to the hotel. To make it more readable I have cleaned it up as it was written before the forum change over and the original version displays gobbledegook instead of certain punctuation marks.

One night in Pattaya and the world's your oyster, the bars are temples but the pearls ain't free. You'll find a god in every golden cloister and if you're lucky then the god's a he, I can feel an angel sliding up to me.

Yes, believe it or not, I spent only one night in Pattaya. I've wanted to drive to Pattaya for a number of years and mentioned this on SGT earlier this year. ChristianPFC kindly replied and volunteered to act as my navigator.

We could not drive down on a Friday night after Christian finished work, as I am not comfortable driving in the dark because of eyesight problems. And Christian works during the week, so that left only one option of driving down on a Saturday and returning on a Sunday.

It took just over 4 hours to get to Pattaya from Bangkok, but we stopped off on route to visit Wat Nanthawan and spent around 50 minutes there. And no sooner had we set off on the road again, when I started to get a migraine and had to pull off the road for about 25 minutes while my Sumatriptan tablet took effect. We also encountered some pretty heavy traffic, with two long bottle-necks and a lorry breakdown, which slowed our progress and added to my stress!

Having never stayed at a hotel in the Sunee Plaza area before, I am grateful to françois for recommending the Flamingo Hotel, almost opposite the Mosaik serviced apartments, near TukCom shopping mall. I wanted somewhere close to Christian's lodgings and somewhere I could park my car. It was relatively cheap at 990 baht a night for a front facing room. It was a perfectly adequate, clean, good sized room, with a comfortable bed, air-con, free Wi-Fi, small flat screen TV, large fridge containing 2 free bottles of water and good showering facilities. But the real attraction was its location and the reserved car park space immediately outside the hotel. A 500 baht refundable deposit is required.

There was however an irritating hick-up on checking out. I wanted an early departure and to leave around 9:00am. But the staff member present was unable to access my deposit money. We had to wait another 30 minutes until a staff member with access to my deposit arrived. In the meantime we went to a local Thai café where Christian had breakfast . . .

In the same topic Christian provides a link to his blog where, amongst other things, he posted a photo taken in my hotel room of a price list for things lost and broken. I can confirm that I did not break or lose any of the hotel's property. ;)

Below is a link to the original post:
https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showthread.php?15831-One-Night-in-Pattaya-%D1%82%D0%90%D0%B6&p=179827&viewfull=1#post179827

Dodger
October 27th, 2020, 08:49
I stayed at the Flamingo Hotel twice, Dodger. On two occasions I drove from Bangkok to Pattaya and chose the Flamingo for its location and because I was given my own dedicated car park space outside the hotel. The first time I stayed there was in December 2013.

I was staying in a rented apartment in 2013, but visited My Thai Restaurant on the lower level of Flamingo several times a week.

I miss that place.

I ran into one of the front desk clerks from Flamingo at Tukcom a few months ago, and she wasn't sure if the owner was going to reopen at some point, or sell. Fingers-crossed...the old bird will fly again one day.

Manforallseasons
October 27th, 2020, 09:48
I was staying in a rented apartment in 2013, but visited My Thai Restaurant on the lower level of Flamingo several times a week.
I miss that place.

The restaurant’s name was “Rembrandt”......nice decor, usually empty.

Oliver2
October 27th, 2020, 14:30
.....but decent food. And prices.

Dodger
October 27th, 2020, 15:32
The restaurant’s name was “Rembrandt”......nice decor, usually empty.

Mai Thai restaurant was next door to Flamingo, and had a side entrance from its tiki bar into the lobby of Flamingo. It was originally owned by a family from Belgium (many years ago), and then purchased by a French gentleman around 15 years ago or so. It closed about the same time that Jap (Flamingo owner) started having problems with declining business. It may have been named "Rembrandt during its transition in ownership...not sure???

The "Mai Thai" sign is still proudly displayed next to Flamingo..

goji
October 27th, 2020, 18:12
Flamingo was properly closed when I was in Pattaya early in the year. The sign on the door said "closed for renovation, but there was no evidence of renovation taking place. The "For Sale" banner which was up for several years has also gone.

The previous year, they were clearly open, but there was no sign of any sales and marketing. The website was closed & I couldn't find them on any booking site. Very strange. I can see the logic in a "soft opening", but not a "soft closure".

siscu58
October 27th, 2020, 18:15
Rembrandt was the original restaurant inside the Flamingo hotel premises. And it had good food but very few customers. It closed many years ago.

Mai Tai was opened some years after Rembrandt closed in a shop next to the hotel. It was a separate business not owned by the hotel.

Dodger
October 27th, 2020, 18:46
Rembrandt was the original restaurant inside the Flamingo hotel premises. And it had good food but very few customers. It closed many years ago.

Mai Tai was opened some years after Rembrandt closed in a shop next to the hotel. It was a separate business not owned by the hotel.

Yes, now I remember Rembrandt. It had few tables on Flamingo's front porch with little bells you could ring for service. Breakfasts there were good.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.