PDA

View Full Version : The Covid Crisis Leaves Carnage in Pattaya

Manforallseasons
October 21st, 2020, 09:46
https://www.pattayamail.com/news/famous-pattaya-landmarks-that-have-bitten-the-dust-330469

a447
October 21st, 2020, 13:28
So sad to see the Starbucks on Beach Road has closed. I spent many an evening sipping coffee and chatting with my guy Nom out on the terrace after dinner.

Armando
October 21st, 2020, 13:56
Another pretty useless and obvious Pattaya rag thread. a447 worry not. There are lots more coffee shops around that are cheaper with better coffee than Starbucks.

a447
October 21st, 2020, 15:06
Yeah, it wasn't so much the coffee as I've certainly had better. It's just that the photo brought back some wonderful memories.

gerefan2
October 21st, 2020, 22:21
That the best the cheap half assed local rag can cum up with? A Starbucks closed FFS.

There are thousands of destitute prostitutes, male, female and ladyboys out of work. There are untold number of Gogo bars shut and bars closed. No tranny shows either.

And the best they can come up with is one closed branch of a coffee shop. There are a further 335 to choose from in Thailand.

Slow news day?

Old git
October 23rd, 2020, 22:04
For a few years now, I had a plan. To fully retire in 2024 - no more business ventures, finito - just dabble in my hobbies.

This year has messed that up and I'm now trying to get planning permission for houses on a factory site I own. Will I get it? I don't know - the planners are not on side, but the plans are fully policy compliant. It's now at the appeal stage.

If I don't get it I can still sell the site as industrial, and retire modestly on the proceeds. If I do get it, the temptation to invest some spare cash in one last final biz venture will be great..

Bagging a bit of tourist real estate in Thailand, before despair gives way to hope, is a distinct possibility; but I want the Baht to take a tumble first..

Manforallseasons
October 23rd, 2020, 22:57
Bagging a bit of tourist real estate in Thailand, before despair gives way to hope, is a distinct possibility; but I want the Baht to take a tumble first..

Everywhere I look there is a new condo development going up in Pattaya all with tiny rooms with stupid prices and nothing is selling. This is a holiday town before the plague people bought a place here mostly as a second home and some like myself made it home. Frankly, at some point the bottom must fall out as the banks demand payment of all these construction loans, not easy to repay when you can’t sell what you built.

Nirish guy
October 23rd, 2020, 23:11
Bagging a bit of tourist real estate in Thailand, before despair gives way to hope, is a distinct possibility; .

The good news is that you will it seems have plently of options and many failed businesses and their properties to chose from it seems, the more pressing question of course is why as you sail into retirement would you want all the hassle and uncertainy of owning ANY business in Thailand just now or when things no doubt VERY slowly start to return as I would think any return on your investment would have to be looked as a medium if not long term investment perhaps before you'd seen any decent returns - no ? i guess that all depends on what age you're retiring at perhaps.

Maybe if you're THAT keen to loose some money in Thailand you could at least open a GREAT gay bar for us all and at least lose your money for our mutual benefit ? :-)

Old git
October 24th, 2020, 00:00
"Maybe if you're THAT keen to loose some money in Thailand you could at least open a GREAT gay bar for us all and at least lose your money for our mutual benefit ? :-)"

Well.. I have for some time been of the opinion that the Thailand gay bar 'model' is a bit broken, and needs a reboot. It all depends on what I can pick up and where, but I've a few ideas.

One concept I dub the 'lunch box cafe' - regular pavement cafe/bar during the day with available waiters, and with fit, straight and mostly married construction workers offering up their lunch boxes in cubicles at the rear after they finish work each day.

The concept of the gay hotel has been dying a death over the past few years, as regular hotels stopped vexing over same sex couples, but a fresh take on that is also a possibility - a slightly high end hotel, price-wise, costing perhaps $10/day a room more than similar hotels elsewhere, with that $10 used to pay retainers to ensure the place is well decorated with young fit (and available..) eye-candy..

Marc K
October 24th, 2020, 04:48
"Well.. I have for some time been of the opinion that the Thailand gay bar 'model' is a bit broken, and needs a reboot.

You can say that again! Please! Tired, broken and soon irrelevant.

"The concept of the gay hotel has been dying a death over the past few years, as regular hotels stopped vexing over same sex couples, but a fresh take on that is also a possibility - a slightly high end hotel, price-wise, costing perhaps $10/day a room more than similar hotels elsewhere, with that $10 used to pay retainers to ensure the place is well decorated with young fit (and available..) eye-candy..

You mean like Madame Jim's Baan Souy?

goji
October 24th, 2020, 04:48
The concept of the gay hotel has been dying a death over the past few years, as regular hotels stopped vexing over same sex couples, but a fresh take on that is also a possibility - a slightly high end hotel, price-wise, costing perhaps $10/day a room more than similar hotels elsewhere, with that $10 used to pay retainers to ensure the place is well decorated with young fit (and available..) eye-candy..
That would be novel. A gay hotel that actually provides something in return for room rates that are inevitably higher than comparable ordinary hotels.
Can't remember when I last stayed in a gay hotel, but it has been several years.

StevieWonders
October 24th, 2020, 04:50
"Maybe if you're THAT keen to loose some money in Thailand you could at least open a GREAT gay bar for us all and at least lose your money for our mutual benefit ? :-)"

Well.. I have for some time been of the opinion that the Thailand gay bar 'model' is a bit broken, and needs a reboot. It all depends on what I can pick up and where, but I've a few ideas.If you care to cast your net wider than Pattaya, there’s a rumour that the current ownership of one of Silom Soi 4’s greatest gay icons has alienated their regular customers to such an extent that they won’t be able to keep their doors open much longer.

Armando
October 24th, 2020, 08:07
That would be novel. A gay hotel that actually provides something in return for room rates that are inevitably higher than comparable ordinary hotels.
Can't remember when I last stayed in a gay hotel, but it has been several years.
Wasn't that the concept behind the Lavender Lanna Hotel in Chiang Mai? A gay hotel with sauna and massage boys by the pool and a show bar in the basement. It was far too large with over 100 rooms and the owner seemed to be in hock to a bad lot. The hotel died about six months after opening following his suicide.

Old git should look at Taipei where I understand the small GS Hotel is totally gay with a young gay staff, has communal showers, guests who often walk the corridors in towels or totally nude and rooms that are often deliberately left open. Allegedly popular with western visitors and young Taiwan locals. Surprisingly - at least to me - it is listed on almost every booking search engine!

latintopxxx
October 24th, 2020, 08:16
GS hotel...sounds just like babylon in bkk...probably the same owner

Oliver2
October 24th, 2020, 14:34
The demise of Lanna Lavender was very sad and its failure was encouraged by a number of destructive reports from within the gay community.
In fact, its business model was both interesting and (I suspect) unique. The better rooms were aimed at our community while the cheaper ones were associated with the the hospital next door. The hotel wasn't a gay hotel on the Ambiance/LCR model. I stayed there twice and noticed that breakfast times were dominated by Thai families, who, it turned-out, were associated with patients next door.
Many, many aspects were so good....there was a good group of massage guys suitable for all tastes, the rooms were adequate and reasonably priced (I'm talking about the best ones), there was a good restaurant on the roof terrace, the show bar was comfortable and the show itself, in my view, was currently better than similar ones offered in Pattaya. Including fewer ladyboy segments. The go go dancers were also better in my view.
The fact was, however, that it came too late; the tourist gay scene in Chiang Mai had already died.

Armando
October 24th, 2020, 15:44
The demise of Lanna Lavender was very sad and its failure was encouraged by a number of destructive reports from within the gay community.
In fact, its business model was both interesting and (I suspect) unique. The better rooms were aimed at our community while the cheaper ones were associated with the the hospital next door. The hotel wasn't a gay hotel on the Ambiance/LCR model. I stayed there twice and noticed that breakfast times were dominated by Thai families, who, it turned-out, were associated with patients next door.
Many, many aspects were so good....there was a good group of massage guys suitable for all tastes, the rooms were adequate and reasonably priced (I'm talking about the best ones), there was a good restaurant on the roof terrace, the show bar was comfortable and the show itself, in my view, was currently better than similar ones offered in Pattaya. Including fewer ladyboy segments. The go go dancers were also better in my view.
The fact was, however, that it came too late; the tourist gay scene in Chiang Mai had already died.
My only experience was with the show downstairs. Like the hotel itself it was a very large space. I reckon there was seating for at least 120. The night we went there can have been no more than 10 customers. Agree the show was great, much more enjoyable than any I'd seen in Pattaya. No nudity or simulated sex. Just a bunch of great looking guys and some good production. I spoke to a couple of the show guys afterwards. They told me they were mostly students from the university up the road.

From what I heard from others who stayed there, there were only a few rooms that had been renovated. Most had not. There were also quite a number of complaints with consequent upgrading. I always believed it was a totally gay hotel. I definitely recall seeing several advertisements in which it proudly claimed to be a one of a kind all-in-one gay resort.

Even if Chiang Mai had not started going downhill for gay tourists, the Lanna Lavender was still way big to be a going concern, we reckoned. My friends thought it madness to pump so much cash into such a large venture they were sure could not last. There was far too much competition for decent budget rooms from the nearby 420 room hotel that I think is now called the Lotus Pang Suan Kaew.

Chiang Mai seemed to attract odd visionaries determined to build vanity projects bound to fail. That Lotus Hotel was constructed as part of a complex that includes what was in the mid 1990s a fine 1,600 seat theatre for Broadway musical productions. Now a cinema I think. The mad architect who built the entire complex adored musicals and was certain Chiang Mai would flock to see them. The hotel was to house the performing companies and visitors from around the country who would help make up the audiences. He did manage 3 week seasons of international cast productions of South Pacific and Grease. In an auditorium about a third full we saw South Pacific which was surprisingly excellent. I believe it ended up playing at the London Palladium. But Thailand audiences did not materialise. The whole venture died within about 6 months at a cost estimated in one of the Bangkok papers at around US$17 million.

goji
October 24th, 2020, 16:00
I stayed at the Lavender Lanna once & figured it was way too big to survive as a gay hotel. The market isn't that large.

At one point, I booked & paid for a 90 minute massage. After 30 minutes, they declared the massage finished and pointed to the stopped clock, conveniently set another hour ahead.
To be fair, upon hearing my complaint, the owner of the hotel did offer me a free massage, but he didn't seem that interested. Anyone intending to run that type of business for the long term needs to ensure customer service is excellent.
If it were my business, I'd have been gathering customer feedback and if anyone else had experienced the same scam, I'd have fired the manager of the massage facility.

The room was OK, as was the pool, but the fraud at the massage place ensured that I left without a positive impression. Such things matter when a business needs repeat customers and positive reviews.

Even well run gay hotels struggle to survive, never mind ones with slack management.

I'm perfectly happy in ordinary hotels & gay friendly hotels. I've also stayed in one near Boyztown hotel where there's a girlie bar downstairs.
This is preferable to staying in Boyztown, as I don't have the risk of being kept awake by a loud outdoor party until 3:00 am.

Anyone intending to run a successful gay business needs to get the details right and cater to customers needs. Sticking up a few rainbow flags and charging 30% more for the same standard of hotel doesn't work.

Oliver2
October 24th, 2020, 16:14
Interesting. Yes, there were teething troubles with the rooms but I recall paying under 900 bht for one of the most expensive. And yes, the show bar was much too large; however, audience was better, or at least as good, as BBB in Pattaya on the three or four occasions I went. This was when it had just opened.

It was explained to me that the arrangement was to use the top two or three floors (and the best rooms) as the gay section and the bottom four or five for the Thai families. The reality was that the latter far outnumbered us.

I suppose I must accept that it was a folly but P and I had some good times there- we particularly enjoyed the view from the roof-top restaurant- and so I'm liable to view it (and Chiang Mai as a whole pre 2002 or so) with a degree of nostalgia. Adam's Apple had already closed by the time we had arrived and this ended Chiang Mai as a gay destination for me. I was hoping that Lavender Lanna would replace it.

Old git
October 24th, 2020, 19:10
I've toyed with notion of a hotel where clothing is entirely optional, but tend against it.

I do think a hotel should have an entirely private swimming pool, not overlooked by neighbouring properties, and with a fairy strict dress code for staff, depending on the time of day, and a simpler one for guests.

Between 7a.m. and 10p.m. guests should be 'decent' - late night frolics in the pool and early morning skinny dips should be allowed.

This is my provisional idea for a staff dress code:

7 a.m. to 10 a.m. (Breakfast) Clean white sports shorts, and hotel branded T shirts.

10 a.m. to 6 p.m. V necked white cheesecloth smocks that cover, but not my much, navy blue Y fronts

6 p.m. to 10 p.m. All staff shirtless with lightly oiled torsos. Tight white designer shorts in bar/lounge areas, speedos in the pool

After 10 p.m. staff may go naked in the pool area.

dinagam
October 24th, 2020, 20:05
Hôtel staff should also meet certain criteria :
Youngish with at least slightly toned muscles.
Those who are slightly overweight or obese should be confined to the kitchen or laundry room.

bkkguy
October 24th, 2020, 20:07
This is my provisional idea for a staff dress code:

this may be a nice personal fantasy to wank over, but seriously are you opening a brothel or a hotel? because the type of staff you will attract with this code would be OK in the former, but a distaster in the later - or is this code only for the "eye candy" staff? in either case how familiar are you with Thai criminal law and its enforcement - particularly in relation to prostitution and sex on premisis venues?

the old joke is how do you make a small fortune in Thailand? start with a large one! the gay scene here has a long history of failed expensive but badly thought out ventures, as indeed does the whole falung investment sector, so when you have made your "small fortune" on this venture I have a bridge I would like to sell you!

Old git
October 24th, 2020, 20:42
"but seriously are you opening a brothel or a hotel? because the type of staff you will attract with this code would be OK in the former, but a distaster in the later - or is this code only for the "eye candy" staff? in either case how familiar are you with Thai criminal law and its enforcement"

It all depends - if my planning windfall fails there won't be funds for either, but if you've done a planning appeal before you'll know how the endless wait for the result gnaws at you. Pondering what might be possible is hard to avoid..

If the appeal succeeds, I'll have some spare funds to play with, that I can afford to indulge. What exactly I do depends on what bargains are available. I'm more comfortable with the notion of the exotic hotel - probably more like a glorified guesthouse than a fussy star rated hotel though.

I'm well aware of the law on commercial sex. Whilst I would provide inducements to encourage money boys to hang around the place, and permit staff to vanish from time to time to earn tips from residents - I would otherwise be studiously uninvolved..

Armando
October 24th, 2020, 20:53
I suppose I must accept that it was a folly but P and I had some good times there- we particularly enjoyed the view from the roof-top restaurant- and so I'm liable to view it (and Chiang Mai as a whole pre 2002 or so) with a degree of nostalgia. Adam's Apple had already closed by the time we had arrived and this ended Chiang Mai as a gay destination for me. I was hoping that Lavender Lanna would replace it.
Wasn't Adam's Apple only closed for a year or so because it changed owners? It reopened and is still on the go.

Sadly in my book the Lanna Lavender was a total folly. If you can not make a basically gay hotel (well, at least one heavily marketed to the gay community and boasting a sauna and show bar) work with, say, even 40 rooms in Pattaya or Bangkok, how on this good earth could the owner have believed he could make one profitable in Chiang Mai? I had not known about the Thai families visiting the hospital until your earlier post. But I think by that time rooms at the Lotus hotel were cheaper and it had a big market and supermarket attached. I stayed once and remember the price was very cheap.

But glad you enjoyed your stays.

Oliver2
October 24th, 2020, 21:38
Anyone recall Homex in north Pattaya? I've seen some interesting photos of swimming-pool parties. It was 100% gay, I believe.

And in Bangkok, there was the Aquarius guesthouse , not far from Babylon, which had a group of cute Burmese guys living on the premises , one of whom gave me the warmest welcome I've had at any hotel. Anywhere.

And thanks Amando....I certainly did enjoy myself, once on my own and then later when I'd met Pad. By the way, it just goes to show how the performance of a chosen masseur makes all the difference. I only ever had one there and he was excellent; cute, accommodating. And gay.

I enjoyed sharing reminiscences with you, even if our memories are different.

latintopxxx
October 25th, 2020, 01:52
old git.....my dress code would be a lot simpler...a skimpy loin cloth only....and like a roman slave available to be used by any guest at any time...

dab69
October 25th, 2020, 04:57
old git.....my dress code would be a lot simpler...a skimpy loin cloth only....and like a roman slave available to be used by any guest at any time...

Latin's presence would scare away all the other guests...

latintopxxx
October 25th, 2020, 05:05
...never had a problem at babylon...clearly a shortage of tops...

bkkguy
October 25th, 2020, 20:05
Whilst I would provide inducements to encourage money boys to hang around the place, and permit staff to vanish from time to time to earn tips from residents - I would otherwise be studiously uninvolved..

and I am sure law enforcement would be as likely to believe that as most of your customers would be

but you would be joining a large group of owners of go-go bars, host bars, even some restaurants, regular bars and accomodation, who have said to me - with their hand on their heart - that what their staff do with customers is completely up to them and thus they as owners are not involved in any way with a front for prostitution

Anyone recall Homex in north Pattaya? ...

And in Bangkok, there was the Aquarius guesthouse...

Homex existed in a different era, and before my time and I don't know the history of its demise, so I can't really comment.

Aquarius was more on the cusp, when attitudes where changing, and I remember seeing at least two reports of raids with pictures of guests and the "burmese guys" doing the walk of shame with towels wrapped around their waist in the local press, similarly with some of the local saunas

then there was a few political, and then military, "social order" crackdowns, but then just as things were starting to settle back to money trumping everything and venues getting more interesting again covid-19 stuck and it all fell apart for other reasons

post covid-19, even when tourists are allowed back in, I don't see much chance of social, or tea money collection, support for a return to the Homex or Old git type of venues and the glory days of "the three P's (Pattaya, Patpong, Phuket) " as a commercial sex free for all for foreign tourists and expats - gay or straight. Thailand has, or at least should of, moved on

Marc K
October 26th, 2020, 04:59
commercial sex free for all for foreign tourists and expats - gay or straight. Thailand has, or at least should of, moved on

Yes I think this is correct but then the question becomes "moved on to what"? I don't think it will evolve into the ridiculous Victorian style of things in (most of) the UK or (most of) the USA. Queen Victoria is dead, long live her soul! I think the Thais will retain their nonchalance about sex and 'sanook' but it will be way toned down from what we remember "from the old days, like even 2019". And, in my book, that is not a bad thing.

Oliver2
October 26th, 2020, 15:02
It "moved on" long ago. Twenty years in the past, you didn't need to look at the info boards at the airport to see where passengers for the Bangkok flights were checking-in; the preponderance of single men told you everything. Now ( or up to March), I stand out like a sore thumb.
The money lies in mass tourism, beaches, mountains, food, culture. We're a side-show, both straight and gay.

But , as Marc K says, so what? for those who seek company , the apps are there and a few bars remain. For those of us who already have company, those things that attract couples and families are open to us. And significantly, no one cares if we walk hand-in- hand around Terminal 21, the beaches of Krabi or the beauty-spots of Doi Inthanon.

Old git
October 26th, 2020, 16:24
"and I am sure law enforcement would be as likely to believe that as most of your customers would be"

Law enforcement will collect their 'tea money' and go away happy - as they do with every bar and massage shop..

bkkguy
October 26th, 2020, 20:23
Yes I think this is correct but then the question becomes "moved on to what"? I don't think it will evolve into the ridiculous Victorian style of things in (most of) the UK or (most of) the USA. Queen Victoria is dead, long live her soul! I think the Thais will retain their nonchalance about sex and 'sanook' but it will be way toned down from what we remember "from the old days, like even 2019". And, in my book, that is not a bad thing.

the only thing stopping Pattaya (and Jomtien) really becoming a popular, and thus tourist dollar generating, family-friendly and quality general tourist destination for both Thais and tourists is corruption, lack of investment and lack of will - get rid of all the tacky bars, demolish most of walking street and turn it into a foodie paradise, get some more decent accomodation options, clean up the water in the bay and reclaim the beach and the beachfront from rip-off merchants and prostitutes by enforcing the law, etc. for us gays turn Jomtien Complex into Pattaya's SIlom Soi 4! This of course is a pipedream and will never happen, the same as the pipedream that I think a few forum participants here and elsewhere long for - a return to the "glory days" of sex tourism and sexpats

so yes I agree that "way toned down" is the most likely option, and possibly "not a bad thing", but what worries me is that this is no longer a fesiable option and Pattaya will continue its slow decline to an irrelevant beach non-destination

as for Thais and their "nonchalance about sex", I think that is up there with their "acceptance" of "mia nois" and alternate lifestyles like same sex relationships and transgenders - "turning a bling eye", "saving face" and "tolerance" are more appropiate terms, and money boys being "gay for pay" is not unique to Thailand, and is not necessarily handled that much better here

The money lies in mass tourism

that is another thing I would hope that Thailand will move on from, but I am not holding my breath

Law enforcement will collect their 'tea money' and go away happy - as they do with every bar and massage shop..

OK now I understand - "studiously uninvolved" includes organising tea money payments

Old git
October 26th, 2020, 22:42
"OK now I understand - "studiously uninvolved" includes organising tea money payments"

Every so often one hears of an establishment that has tried to argue that it's 'doing nothing wrong' - and gets turned over by the BIB..

The payments I've seen being made in the past are pretty small relative to turnover- far more sensible to live with it, than make a scene..

Armando
October 27th, 2020, 07:41
"OK now I understand - "studiously uninvolved" includes organising tea money payments"

Every so often one hears of an establishment that has tried to argue that it's 'doing nothing wrong' - and gets turned over by the BIB..

The payments I've seen being made in the past are pretty small relative to turnover- far more sensible to live with it, than make a scene..
Some years ago I asked the manager of a beer bar in Soi Twilight what BIB payments had to be made. I knew him well as he had been one of the mamasans at the defunct logo bar I used to patronise over several years. Gogo bars paid 16,000 baht per month, beer bars 4,000 baht I was told.

Dodger
October 27th, 2020, 08:29
......Gogo bars paid 16,000 baht per month, beer bars 4,000 baht I was told.

I think you'd find that tea money payments vary from bar-to-bar, town-to-town, owner-to-owner, and even BIB -to- BIB.

The unwritten rule-of-thumb is that the amount of tea money the BIB ask for is based on several factors, i.e., how much money the bar is making, is the bar farang or Thai owned, is the bar operating legally, and of course negotiating skills. Bars which operate legally typically pay less than those that don't.

A farang from France (Lulu) used to own 3 gogo bars in Sunee, all of which paid different amounts to the BIB. The first being Kaos Gogo, which was the largest and most popular gogo bar in Sunee at the time, was actually charged less than his smallest gogo bar (Look Bar) because Look Bar employed exclusively underage dancers (way underage) and raked in money hand-over-foot. Sundance Gogo, which was the third bar owned by this French gentleman, paid the least amount because it was small, employed close to legal age dancers, operated with a current license, and earned a modest income.

The BIB always leech more tea money from farang bar owners than they do Thai owners.

gerefan2
October 27th, 2020, 10:01
Look Bar employed exclusively underage dancers (way underage) and raked in money hand-over-foot. .

Every time I walked past that Gogo bar the farang owner was stood in Soi 17 intensely watching every movement in the Soi. I was not surprised...

gerefan2
October 27th, 2020, 10:03
Some years ago I asked the manager of a beer bar in Soi Twilight what BIB payments had to be made. I knew him well as he had been one of the mamasans at the defunct logo bar I used to patronise over several years. Gogo bars paid 16,000 baht per month, beer bars 4,000 baht I was told.

Bar manager at Toyboys told me they paid 5000 per week. That was about two years ago.

Manforallseasons
October 27th, 2020, 10:11
Lulu owned Kaos......The owner of Look was Javier.

a447
October 27th, 2020, 13:49
The old Germsn guy who owned Dreamboys and Boys Bangkok told me he paid the BIB 1 million per month.

And a regular at Eros told me that they pay more than one group of people per month.

Of course, this is not limited to Thailand. A friend owns a beer bar - no hosts or sex of offer - in downtown Tokyo. A certain "gentleman" arrives each months, eats and drinks whatever he wants and then collects his protection money.

My friend's attitude is "shou ga nai" - That's life!

Manforallseasons
October 27th, 2020, 14:29
[QUOTE=a447;270634]The old Germsn guy who owned Dreamboys and Boys Bangkok told me he paid the BIB 1 million per month.

His name is Bern, actually he is Swiss and quite ill.

Dodger
October 27th, 2020, 15:57
Lulu owned Kaos......The owner of Look was Javier.

Not that it matters, but LuLu's friend from France (shown in the picture) was recruited by LuLu for the purpose of managing "Look" shortly after LuLu took ownership.

There's a very intriguing story behind all of this...involving the collapse of the farang-owned gogo bars being discussed...and the emergence of the Thai-owned "Nice Boys" which followed immediately afterwards.

Old git
October 27th, 2020, 19:57
The last time I saw tea money close enough to be able to count it was a couple of years ago in Hua Hin. A small beer bar handed over what I think was 1700 - for one month

gerefan2
October 28th, 2020, 03:57
I was at in a large Sunee Plaza bar last year(close to New Year) when a police motor cycle rider arrived (in uniform and on a police motor bike) and pointed to numerous bottles of expensive whisky.

Without batting an eyelid the barman put them in a carrier bag and the guy drove off.

As this went on I jokingly asked the barman if the policeman wanted a drink. I was told to wind my neck in!

TiT

daydreamer
October 28th, 2020, 08:38
Of course, this is not limited to Thailand. A friend owns a beer bar - no hosts or sex of offer - in downtown Tokyo. A certain "gentleman" arrives each months, eats and drinks whatever he wants and then collects his protection money.

Yes, protection money is paid by most businesses in Japan, but it is not the police collecting it. It is the yakuza. In Japan, paying tea money extends to nearly all business establishments, including stores and restaurants. I lived in Japan a number of years, and I have seen a "certain gentleman" with half of one small finger missing collecting the money from small businesses.

I had a friend who owned a sashimi shop, and I saw the money collected there a couple times . I asked my friend what would happen if somebody refused to pay. He told me something bad would happen, and his shop would have to close.

Manforallseasons
November 9th, 2020, 16:40

Manforallseasons
November 9th, 2020, 18:37
https://bangkokjack.com/2020/11/09/slow-death-pattaya/?fbclid=IwAR0yz3cW9pgdOGzndy3IrPbA_NhruqvDsOLBjR7h nXTInHnuWBg-4oPAHHw

Nirish guy
November 9th, 2020, 21:32
https://bangkokjack.com/2020/11/09/slow-death-pattaya/?fbclid=IwAR0yz3cW9pgdOGzndy3IrPbA_NhruqvDsOLBjR7h nXTInHnuWBg-4oPAHHw

Go on, give us a clue why dont you ?? .......

gerefan2
November 9th, 2020, 22:50

I agree, part of that article about people closing up and moving out, is dated April!

More clues, of anything relevant, please!

Jellybean
November 9th, 2020, 23:05

Strangely enough NIrish-guy, those were roughly my thoughts when I saw the post by Manforallseasons. Some indication of what is to be found on the other side of a link would be welcome. In the film industry, I believe they call it a teaser trailer, i.e. a movie trailer designed to pique the interest of the audience. In this case the page would appear to be locked, so the usual copying and pasting facility is unavailable. I have however included the title below:

The Slow Death of Pattaya
By Albert Jack - November 9, 2020

gerefan2
November 9th, 2020, 23:27
It opens here, but as I say some of it is rather old (April).

Manforallseasons
November 10th, 2020, 07:41
https://pattayaone.news/small-businesses-continue-pour-out-pattaya/

Armando
November 10th, 2020, 13:30
Once again a link with nothing more than a wholly inaccurate title. The article has zilch to do with carnage.

karius
November 10th, 2020, 17:15
Are the hotels in Boystown open?

Dodger
November 11th, 2020, 06:36
Are the hotels in Boystown open?

Yes