PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Majority of Thais Don’t Want Tourists Back

Manforallseasons
October 8th, 2020, 09:04
https://pattayaone.news/poll-shows-majority-of-thais-oppose-lifting-tourist-ban/

Dodger
October 8th, 2020, 13:58
100% of the Thais I've talked to in Isaan, and in my home town of Bang Saray, don't want tourists to return yet.

100% of the Thais I've talked to in Pattaya want tourists to return.

I wonder where the survey was conducted?

latintopxxx
October 8th, 2020, 15:24
lala land....

Oliver2
October 8th, 2020, 21:14
I'm surprised that Isaan residents, many of whom depend on funds sent by their relatives in Pattaya and elsewhere, are coping so well financially.

Manforallseasons
October 8th, 2020, 21:28
I'm surprised that Isaan residents, many of whom depend on funds sent by their relatives in Pattaya and elsewhere, are coping so well financially.

The cost of living in Isaan is so much less than Pattaya that many that were able including many bar boys have gone home to their families in Isaan.

Nirish guy
October 8th, 2020, 21:43
Perhaps they should also run poll as to how many farang which to return to Thailand quickly and they might just get a bad shock there. As whilst undoubtedly there's the hard core both on here and in general who wish to return to Thailand no matter what" for various reasons I for one am in no mad rush to go back to half empty streets, closed bars and a general feeling of despair and I'm guessing there's quite a few more like me. So, whilst they're perhaps saying they dont want the tourists rushing back they should be careful what they wish for as they may find that that works both ways too of course !

goji
October 8th, 2020, 21:51
100% of the Thais I've talked to in Isaan, and in my home town of Bang Saray, don't want tourists to return yet.
100% of the Thais I've talked to in Pattaya want tourists to return.

I know of other parts of the world where people who benefit from tourism are in favour of it and those who don't DIRECTLY benefit from it are against it. So to get the same thing in Thailand is no surprise at all.

arsenal
October 8th, 2020, 22:21
Nirish wrote.
"I for one am in no mad rush to go back"

I'd go back in a shot but plan for a very different holiday.

I'd invite MFAS out to discuss polling standards in Thailand and to exvhange notes on the countless boys we've shared (separately) over the years.

I'd share a bottle of Claret with Francois and discuss the perfect Paris Brest, St Honore and Pithivier.

Join Dodger on one of his wistful strolls along the beach and offer joint statements of sympathy to the people of Chicago and London.

And then I would invite all 3 to a delicious dinner at DD to see if they could go a whole meal without killing each other.
Hahaha. Just joking my lovelies.

Manforallseasons
October 8th, 2020, 23:30
I would invite all 3 to a delicious dinner at DD to see if they could go a whole meal without killing each other.

DD has changed hands and appears to be hanging on by a thread.

latintopxxx
October 9th, 2020, 01:12
arsenal...to spice things up I'd demonstrate my pony riding technique...u supply the pony

goji
October 9th, 2020, 03:26
Arsenal, you could do most of that by Zoom.

I'm assuming by DD you DON'T mean the low budget formerly gay branded place near Dongtan beach ? I've been spending 5 baht to use their facilities for years, but hadn't considered them as a dining option.

Jellybean
October 9th, 2020, 03:56
. . . And then I would invite all 3 to a delicious dinner at DD to see if they could go a whole meal without killing each other.

. . . I'm assuming by DD you DON'T mean the low budget formerly gay branded place near Dongtan beach ? I've been spending 5 baht to use their facilities for years, but hadn't considered them as a dining option.

goji, I'm guessing arsenal means Deli Diner near Mosaik Apartments and Tukcom IT mall. :)

goji
October 9th, 2020, 04:45
goji, I'm guessing arsenal means Deli Diner near Mosaik Apartments and Tukcom IT mall. :)
You may be right. It is easier to imagine someone with standards EATING at the Deli Diner, than DD, even if DD is definitely what Arsenal wrote.

Despite having stayed at Mosaik umpteen times, I've never been tempted by the Deli Diner menu, so the place is not at the top of my memory.

Have even used the massage place in between, but 60 minutes lasts 45, so I need a few years to forget before repeating the experience.

Dodger
October 9th, 2020, 09:45

If you have experience in Isaan you already know what I'm about to say; The people of Isaan live in very interdependent sub-communities (villages) where they share food and other basic necessities among themselves constantly. This provides them with a foundation of sustainability which has been going on for thousand's of years. Isaan Thais are hard-as-nails ... extremely resourceful, and surviving economic hardships like this is nothing new to them.

arsenal
October 9th, 2020, 15:09
MFAS.
"DD has changed hands and appears to be hanging on by a thread."

It had already lost quite a bit of its mojo when the fabulous lady owner stepped out of the kitchen.

And Latin. I cannot bring a pony. Francois is French and will want to eat it. Hahaha.

siscu58
October 9th, 2020, 16:24
Coming back to the original thread.

https://thepattayanews.com/2020/10/07/editorial-opinion-when-did-the-words-foreign-tourists-become-a-dirty-word-in-thailand/

goji
October 9th, 2020, 18:10
Coming back to the original thread.

I thought tourism accounted for something like 20% of Thai GDP, very approximately (even if I am several % out, the principle is the same).

So we might estimate that 20% of the Thai population perceive they benefit from tourism, via direct employment or whatever. Of course, if you take 20% of the economy out, then many more than 20% will be affected, as the money does not circulate to the rest of the economy.
But I would guess that this isn't taken into consideration when answering a poll question.

So it's to be expected that the majority don't want tourists back, since 20% might perceive they benefit directly and the remainder see disadvantages like tourists getting in the way, misbehaving etc, without perceiving that they benefit..

Nirish guy
October 9th, 2020, 20:02
Good / interesting to see that their own medical chief is now calling for the Country to be opened up again, stating that he believes Thailand is well prepared for a second wave and that hoping to keep to zero infections just isn't realistic basically. Lets hope someone up the line agrees with him.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1998935/medical-chief-backs-reopening

gerefan2
October 9th, 2020, 22:58
I thought tourism accounted for something like 20% of Thai GDP, very approximately (even if I am several % out, the principle is the same).

Maybe 20% overall, but in places like Pattaya and Phuket more like 99%.

The other thing, often overlooked, is that probably 99% of the workers from Isaan are sending money back home to their families.They are probably supporting another one or two people each in their villages.

Therefore that 20% National Tourism GDP figure becomes something like double.

Of my 8 regular friends in Pattaya there are only two remaining. The rest have returned home to Isaan and it is to be decided if they will ever return.

Their families must be suffering as a result.