PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from UK in Thailand & returning soon?

August 10th, 2006, 18:52
if you are in LOS and will be returning to UK in near future there has been a huge security opertaion in the UK today & yesterday and if your returning soon you might have long delays. You might want to read the link below and prepare you baggage accordingly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4778575.stm

'Airlines terror plot' disrupted

All airports have been put under the restrictions

Reid statement
A plot to blow up planes in flight from the UK to the US and commit "mass murder on an unimaginable scale" has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.
It is thought the plan was to detonate explosive devices smuggled in hand luggage on to as many as 10 aircraft.

Police are searching premises after 21 people were arrested. Home Secretary John Reid said they believed the "main players" were accounted for.

High security is causing delays at all UK airports.

Heathrow Airport has been closed to all incoming flights that are not already in the air, while several outbound services have been cancelled.

August 10th, 2006, 18:59
The baggage bit will apply to anyone with connecting flights in UK especially. They have banned practically all hand luggage until further notice.

August 10th, 2006, 19:24
Apparently this will apply to US folk too. No bottles of any type of liquid allowed in cabins - check with your airlines before you set off.

bedbugy1-old
August 10th, 2006, 19:40
that includes duty free boooze and pefume

August 10th, 2006, 22:36
US & UK airports cancelling tons of flights. Please check before u set off if your travelling today or next few days!

AMARETTO-old
August 11th, 2006, 01:08
Warning to UK-bound Thai flyers

The Foreign Ministry yesterday recommended Thais with no urgent business in the United Kingdom postpone their trips after a plot to bomb aircraft shuttling between the United States and the UK was foiled.

Foreign Minister Kantathi Suphamongkhon instructed the Thai embassy in London to monitor the situation and report back to Bangkok regularly.

People with a real need to visit the UK should get the latest updates from agencies, including the Foreign Affairs Ministry, before departure and should observe all advisories from British authorities, the ministry's statement said.

Thais in the UK were not panicking over the threat, ministry spokesman Kitti Wasinondh said.

The embassy in London recommends Thais refrain from gathering in public places, he said.

Caretaker Prime Minister Thak-sin Shinawatra said he instructed Thai Airways International to perform thorough checks on all passengers with carry-on luggage but saw no need to halt flights.

The government expects the risk might not expand to Asia, he said.

THAI experienced no cancellations, and its two flights to London operated on schedule, said Surapol Isarangkun, director for emergency operations at the flag carrier.

The two flights were not disrupted by the closure of Heathrow Airport, as they were scheduled to land at 6.45am and 6.30pm while the airport was closed from 8.45am-1pm.

"But passengers flying from London to Bangkok could suffer a delay," he said.

The national airline said it stood ready to comply with British authorities if they step up security measures.

THAI said in a news release that one of its flights departing Heathrow for Bangkok yesterday afternoon was expected to depart about an hour late because of the new carry-on luggage restrictions.

But no flights from Thailand to London have been cancelled, said Somchai Sawasdeepon, a senior official from Airports of Thailand.

The Nation

Smiles
August 11th, 2006, 01:16
You seem to be coming apart at the seams M. Oogleman. Slow down ... have a drink ... go for a stroll up and down Holland Walk.

(Am I aging myself here? Is Holland Walk still a cruise zone? I remember a gorgeous Malaysian guy I picked up in El Sombrero back in 1981 who lived in a penthouse suite on top of an old apartment building on the other end of the Walk.
As we walked along it to get to his flat I noticed dozens of middle-aged guys with handlebar moustaches and various leather accoutements hanging along the sidewalk and halfway into the dark & gloomy underbrush. Not my cuppa tea . . . but is Holland Walk still known for that, or have the boys moved on?)

Cheers ....