PDA

View Full Version : Some Approved Quarantine Hotels

Manforallseasons
September 18th, 2020, 10:05
https://youtu.be/C5tlV-zwQ5Q

goji
September 18th, 2020, 14:42
From the pictures, that looks like a nice selection of hotels.

If you're not allowed out of the door for 2 weeks, I would think it's a time to go for a slightly better hotel room than normal.

I wonder how the aircon works in these places ? Does each room get a supply of completely "fresh" air from outside ? (if there is such a thing in Bangkok). Or could a low percentage of air circulate from room to room ?

pong
September 19th, 2020, 18:41
Have never ever seen in HTL that 2 rooms would share the same AC-unit. Not even in fairly cheap budget places.
This was common though in some cheaper gay msg places-where the old former room was simply cut in 2-still big enough for the purpose.
It also seems one is allowed a little more freedom, varying with HTL, if the first obligatory covid-est shows NEG als result.

Moses
September 19th, 2020, 19:58
I wonder how the aircon works in these places ? Does each room get a supply of completely "fresh" air from outside ?

Only window-mounted aircons provide cooled air from outside. Rest just cooling air within room without adding additional "fresh" air. Are you talking about ventilation systems?

Dodger
September 19th, 2020, 20:09
The only way I would stay imprisoned for 14 days is if the room provided a jacuzzi...a fully stocked bar...a live-in masseur...and a menu of boy toys who could be delivered to my room by dialing #69..

gerefan2
September 20th, 2020, 01:44
I read the first 20 or so of the 233 reviews of that video.

Every one really scathing comments about the perceived rip off prices.

I couldn’t face reading all 233....

Nirish guy
September 20th, 2020, 03:32
A comment on there did add that the price "apparently" included your ( set) food and if you wanted anything else that was extra, so, that's all right then...... or not looking at some of the prices listed ! Anyway, as I didn't see the Tarntawan on there that's the whole idea definitely off my list then anyway ! lol

gerefan2
September 20th, 2020, 04:03
That made me giggle Nirish.
I can’t think of any worse way to spend quarantine than 2 weeks solitary in the Tarntawan....and I mean solitary, no take aways!

Nirish guy
September 20th, 2020, 04:13
Hmmm although what with TiT and all I'm guessing that after say your first clear test you could perhaps organise a few inbound deliveries direct to your room with a few blind eyes turned, either for baht or not depending on who it is is on the desk.......not that i would ever consider doing such a thing until the full 2 weeks would be up as that would be so wrong of us of course. :-) No, but really, it SO would !

Armando
September 20th, 2020, 09:38
Hmmm although what with TiT and all I'm guessing that after say your first clear test you could perhaps organise a few inbound deliveries direct to your room with a few blind eyes turned, either for baht or not depending on who it is is on the desk.......not that i would ever consider doing such a thing until the full 2 weeks would be up as that would be so wrong of us of course. :-) No, but really, it SO would !

Guess away. Since this is how the quarantined outbreak in Melbourne spread very rapidly the Thai authorities will not be so blind to that possibility.

Dodger
September 20th, 2020, 10:17
Room prices over-inflated (no surprise there)...SCAM!

Any person who voluntarily pays thousands of dollars for the privilege of being locked in solitary confinement for 14 days (in any country), has to be mentally unstable.

StevieWonders
September 20th, 2020, 11:15
Any person who voluntarily pays thousands of dollars for the privilege of being locked in solitary confinement for 14 days (in any country), has to be mentally unstable.You need to get out more, Dodger. Australian residents returning face a $3,000 mandatory fee for hotel quarantine. According to the newspapers there, tens of thousands are queuing up to go there.

Dodger
September 20th, 2020, 12:20
You need to get out more, Dodger. Australian residents returning face a $3,000 mandatory fee for hotel quarantine. According to the newspapers there, tens of thousands are queuing up to go there.

There are tens of thousands of people queuing up to go where?

If you're suggesting Australia...can you tell us which newspaper you read this in?

Armando
September 20th, 2020, 12:55
There are tens of thousands of people queuing up to go where?

If you're suggesting Australia...can you tell us which newspaper you read this in?

This one. Sept. 17 Around 100,000 Australians Still Can't Get Home

https://www.traveller.com.au/remove-the-cap-meet-the-stranded-australians-who-cant-go-home-h1qrr1

With only 4,000 allowed back per week, that's going to take till March before everyone is home.

Dodger
September 20th, 2020, 16:39
This one. Sept. 17 Around 100,000 Australians Still Can't Get Home

https://www.traveller.com.au/remove-the-cap-meet-the-stranded-australians-who-cant-go-home-h1qrr1

With only 4,000 allowed back per week, that's going to take till March before everyone is home.

Thanks for the clarifying StevieWonders comments..

Dodger
September 20th, 2020, 16:41
Australian residents returning face a $3,000 mandatory fee for hotel quarantine. According to the newspapers there, tens of thousands are queuing up to go there.

You're talking about mandatory quarantine's for Australian citizens to return home where they have no choice in the matter. I'm talking about tourists who volunteer to quarantine to go on holiday in a foreign country - where the choice to visit that country, under those terms, is completely theirs. Two completely different scenarios.

bkkguy
September 20th, 2020, 21:00
I read the first 20 or so of the 233 reviews of that video.
Every one really scathing comments about the perceived rip off prices.

Room prices over-inflated (no surprise there)...SCAM!

ASQ hotel prices in Thailand range from 30,000 - 100,000+ Bht for 14 days, with an average of about 60,000 Bht, which at current exchange rates is less than the Australian quarantine rate of 66,000 Bht - as much as Dodger may like to argue that Aus and TH prices can't be compared because they are "completely different scenarios", the TH prices apply to Thai expats returning as well as to special visa arrivals, if/when AUS starts including tourists in this scheme they will probably be using the same quarantine prices

30,000 Bht for 14 days is just over 2,000 Bht a day at a reasonable basic hotel including 3 meals a day - and I thought COVID-19 testing and access to health support staff, but I may be wrong, these may be charged extra - and while you may be able to find a "lovely" (probably unlicensed) guesthouse in Pattaya that can do this cheaper I don't really see this as "rip off" prices, or an "over-inflated" "SCAM"

even taking one of the more expensive hotels, eg the Anantara Bangkok, from their web site their 14 day ASQ price is from 89,000 Bht or about 6,300 Bht per night with 3 meals per day, for an equivalent room the rack rate is 9,000 Bht per night (no meals), and their cheapest "staycation" special Thai/expat rate is about 5,000 Bht per night including daily breakfast but only dinner on some days, so by you the time you add lunch for 14 days and dinners for 7 days I again I don't really see this as "rip off" prices, or an "over-inflated" "SCAM"

while I can quite readily agree that the conditions on the STV are unrealistic and will not do anything to revive the tourism sector in Thailand, there are a lot better arguments to be made than the ASQ prices are a "rip off", or an "over-inflated" "SCAM"

but if you want to start arguing that Thailand needs to re-start general tourism without quarantine then I might not agree with you quite so readily

gerefan2
September 21st, 2020, 00:35
Of the 14 hotels in that video only 3 offer rooms below 40,000 baht, and most of them are in the high 30,000’s. Guess what will be available when you want to book?

You will be locked in your room so you will not be able to use the gym, or the swimming pool, or the executive lounge (remember you are paying top rates) or the lobby, or the restaurants, or the bar, or anything else.

And, if you are travelling as a couple, you will need TWO rooms. God knows how much a family would have to pay.

The 233 video commenters, who all argue it’s a con, can’t ALL be wrong.

Me, I’m thinking of flying First Class, using Limos, and cancelling my Condo In Pattaya for the Dusit. No eating at street stalls or Deli Diner....only meals at Cafe Des Amis. No more Sunne boys only top of the range boys from BBB.

How will I pay for it? By not coming this winter and saving the money for next year!

Dodger
September 21st, 2020, 09:58
..... there are a lot better arguments to be made than the ASQ prices are a "rip off", or an "over-inflated" "SCAM"

Yes, there are certainly more things than inflated room rates that make this a SCAM.

The fact that the tourist must be pay an inflated nonrefundable rate in advance, without any guarantee that a refund would be made in the event that Thailand decided to ban special long-stay tourists from entering Thailand, is 100% in favor of Thai hotels getting your money, and ZERO % in favor of you getting what you paid for.

Not disclosing the amount a hotel guest would be charged for any incidentals during their 14 days of solitary confinement may sound trivial, but you could end up being charged 200 baht for an extra bottle of water and there's not a thing the guest (prisoner) could do about it.

You seem to believe the hotel rates advertised for these so-call "approved" quarantine hotels are not inflated. Check again. I looked at the normal room rates at 6 of these hotels on line (2 of which I've stayed at before) and found that the room rates had been increased by an average of 12%. Add to that an additional 12% which is the approximate average that hotels in Thailand are now discounting their rooms for during this pandemic, and you end up with a 24% inflation rate.

As another poster has already noted (correctly), the fact that during quarantine a guest is not allowed to use any of the other hotel facilities, i.e., swimming pool, sauna, fitness room, accessory shops, cafe's, etc. thus limiting the service offerings to a room with 4 walls. The operating cost of the hotel is reduced significantly...but instead of offering a discounted rate - they offer an inflated rate. This my friend is a SCAM.

Last, but certainly not least, is the fact that in the most recent publication about this half-baked plan, it was stated that the CCSA has yet to elaborate on the details. Do you think those details, when released, will be aligned with making a tourist's visit more pleasurable - or, conversely, add more restrictions burdening the tourist even more? I'll let you mull that one over.

StevieWonders
September 21st, 2020, 13:46
All you Europe- and US-based sex tourists still in denial here’s a summary of Asia vs. Europe for tourism - https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Over-60-of-Asia-still-closed-to-tourists-versus-17-of-Europe

As Shelley wrote (and it could have been of the coronavirus) “Look on my works ye mighty and despair”

Moses
September 21st, 2020, 14:56
All you Europe- and US-based sex tourists still in denial here’s a summary of Asia vs. Europe for tourism - https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Over-60-of-Asia-still-closed-to-tourists-versus-17-of-Europe

As Shelley wrote (and it could have been of the coronavirus) “Look on my works ye mighty and despair”

It is total bullshit about "versus 17%". Almost 100% of Europe is closed for non-european tourists. Europe now is opened only for internal tourism.

goji
September 21st, 2020, 17:32
The fact that the tourist must be pay an inflated nonrefundable rate in advance, without any guarantee that a refund would be made in the event that Thailand decided to ban special long-stay tourists from entering Thailand, is 100% in favor of Thai hotels getting your money, and ZERO % in favor of you getting what you paid for.

Not disclosing the amount a hotel guest would be charged for any incidentals during their 14 days of solitary confinement may sound trivial, but you could end up being charged 200 baht for an extra bottle of water and there's not a thing the guest (prisoner) could do about it.

That's a pretty unattractive set of T&Cs. Combine that with the need to arrive on some charter flight or private plane & I think it will soon be time to look elsewhere for a potential winter holiday destination. The map from the Stevie Wonders link above is interesting, so I am posting it here.

I believe Cambodia still requires one to pay a deposit for Covid testing. Perhaps it's time to look at Mexico or South America.

Manforallseasons
September 21st, 2020, 18:07
I believe Cambodia still requires one to pay a deposit for Covid testing. Perhaps it's time to look at Mexico or South America.

Mexico is an excellent option, Puerto Vallarta and Mexico City.

arsenal
September 21st, 2020, 18:12
Just wait a while. Even if the vaccine isn't here yet ( it will be) then the testing system will be quick and accurate and even if that isn't here yet (it will be) the virus will be coming to the end of its lifespan. That's three bullets and only one target. Good odds. Unless it's Matt firing the gun. Hahaha.

StevieWonders
September 21st, 2020, 18:35
Just wait a while. Even if the vaccine isn't here yet ( it will be) then the testing system will be quick and accurate and even if that isn't here yet (it will be) the virus will be coming to the end of its lifespan. That's three bullets and only one target. Good odds. Unless it's Matt firing the gun. Hahaha.
Quite right arsenal. Here’s the timeline:
Day 1 - regulatory approval
Day 2 - six billion doses manufactured
Day 3 - supply chains distribute doses worldwide
Day 4 - we’re all vaccinated

Even God took 6 days over the Creation - what a dullard

arsenal
September 21st, 2020, 18:57
God wasn't in a hurry to get to the lovely boys in Pattaya and enjoy the delicious food at Deli Diner.

bkkguy
September 21st, 2020, 20:04
Of the 14 hotels in that video only 3 offer rooms below 40,000 baht, and most of them are in the high 30,000’s.
Guess what will be available when you want to book?

in the full list of 61 ASQ hotels there are 15 that offer rooms at 40,000 or less, not a bad number of low-end choices I think, and if they are targeting arrivals on limited charters and private jets I somehow don't think the low-end offers will be snapped up first!

And, if you are travelling as a couple, you will need TWO rooms. God knows how much a family would have to pay.

a number of the 61 hotels are listed as offering "family rates", I think google is your friend here - not God

The 233 video commenters, who all argue it’s a con, can’t ALL be wrong.

you obviously don't have much experience with reading comments on YouTube videos :D

Yes, there are certainly more things than inflated room rates that make this a SCAM.

that's not what I said, and I still maintain that the hotel rates are not inflated or a SCAM, and while the management of the ASQ hotel list has many problems and the whole STV package may well be unrealistic, too restrictive or difficult, and not perceived as worthwhile by many potential takers, I don't see it as a SCAM perpetrated by the cabinet, the CCSA, the Immigration Police and a cartel of Thai hotels!

as a philosopher friend keeps reminding me, don't attribute to malice what may just be stupidity

a really convincing, well-argued, rationally presented point - I am ashamed that I did not have more consideration for the "prisoners" at these hotels, particularly as none of the hotels have email or phone contact details on their web sites so it is impossible for a potential "prisoner" to make an informed decision on total costs for the hotel stay

You seem to believe the hotel rates advertised for these so-call "approved" quarantine hotels are not inflated. Check again. I looked at the normal room rates at 6 of these hotels on line (2 of which I've stayed at before) and found that the room rates had been increased by an average of 12%. Add to that an additional 12% which is the approximate average that hotels in Thailand are now discounting their rooms for during this pandemic, and you end up with a 24% inflation rate.

OK fine, I gave you my example of the Anantara, what are your 6 hotels, and what of their web site rates are you comparing to their ASQ price and do those rates include three meals a day like the ASQ prices do - just asking?

...This my friend is a SCAM.

...I'll let you mull that one over.

I'm mulling, but I don't think I am getting closer to your definition of a SCAM

Manforallseasons
September 21st, 2020, 20:57

There has been a flu vaccine for a long time however, the flu continues on.

Dodger
September 21st, 2020, 21:06
i

I'm mulling, but I don't think I am getting closer to your definition of a SCAM

You are absolutely correct, the word "Scam" is not technically correct in this case. We use this term pretty freely in Chicago any time someone is pissing down our backs and telling us it's just raining out...which, granted, is pretty sloppy English.

I'm not going to belabor the room rates with you. If you feel the rates for quarantine are reasonable, then that's your perogative.

This long-stay proposal is nothing more than a bone with no meat on it - publicized only to give the impression that the government is becoming flexible on travel bans to calm the natives. ..nothing more - nothing less. No one in their right mind would buy into this. That's just my opinion of course. Well, actually not just my opinion...the 260 people who responded to this hotel promo think it's totally fucked up as well.

goji
September 22nd, 2020, 01:52
There are 4 different types of flu virus and these mutate fairly quickly, so different strains of flu circulate each year. I believe the immunity declines sllightly over a few years, so the WHO makes an estimate and recommendation of what strains should go in the vaccine for each season. Your typical flu vaccine contains 3 or 4 types. The results of the vaccine then depend on what strains circulate. [The vaccine I had last year in Bangkok contained 4 types]

Some of the scientists seem to be rather pleased that this Coronavirus isn't mutating particularly quickly.
Other scientists note that T-cells from the 2003(?) Sars Cov 1 outbreak are still present in patients 17 years later. So there is some level of long term immune response from that one.

Also, I'm not too demanding as a customer. If there were a vaccine on offer that tunes my body up to respond to Coronavirus and merely reduces the severity of any infection to something comparable with flu, I'd consider it to be an improvement on the current situation.

[Disclosure: I am not a medical expert and certainly would not claim to be. However, like everyone else here, I can read. Following advice on gay chat boards can be bad for your health and may kill you. But you knew that. End of disclaimer]

StevieWonders
September 22nd, 2020, 04:33
Probably best not to parade your ignorance MFAS. Some viruses mutate rapidly, others do not. The influenza virus is one of the former. There is not a single influenza vaccine, there’s a new one every year. As it’s manufactured in advanced of the “‘flu season” it merely represents epidemiologists’ best guess of what versions of the virus the vaccine must protect against. Like weather forecasts it’s only as good as the advance data

This coronavirus does not, it seems, mutate as rapidly and its core characteristics have not mutated, hence the optimism around the “lifetime shot” approach. That is also the approach of vaccines for other low mutation viruses such as polio, shingles and measles

Up2U
September 22nd, 2020, 08:20
You are absolutely correct, the word "Scam" is not technically correct in this case. We use this term pretty freely in Chicago any time someone is pissing down our backs and telling us it's just raining out...which, granted, is pretty sloppy English.

I'm not going to belabor the room rates with you. If you feel the rates for quarantine are reasonable, then that's your perogative.

This long-stay proposal is nothing more than a bone with no meat on it - publicized only to give the impression that the government is becoming flexible on travel bans to calm the natives. ..nothing more - nothing less. No one in their right mind would buy into this. That's just my opinion of course. Well, actually not just my opinion...the 260 people who responded to this hotel promo think it's totally fucked up as well.

I've stayed at 5* hotels in Bangkok recently and the ASQ rates after a cursory check are excellent. Just one example I am familiar with (#14)....
https://thaiest.com/blog/list-of-alternative-state-quarantine-asq-hotels-thailand

https://thaiest.com/bookings/asq/grande-centre-point-hotel-terminal21

Using 92,000 baht that's less than 200 dollars and looks what included!

I thought getting Covid-19 insurance (3.5M baht) would be difficult but not here,
https://info.lumahealth.com/thailand-pass

This master plan of the government just might work. It's not for the general tourist (yet). The preferred traveler is one who is wealthy (do you get in the que for Louie Vuitton and Chanel at the Paragon?), probably from China or Taiwan. Also, not sure about this business of prepaying, make a booking using your cc. A hold is placed on your cc until time of check out at ASQ and you continue your holiday at another hotel or condo. Probably a good idea to use a recommended Thai travel agent. Looking forward when us Americans will qualify. First step is to get rid of the cancer in the White House.

gerefan2
September 22nd, 2020, 09:34
I thought getting Covid-19 insurance (3.5M baht) would be difficult but not here,
https://info.lumahealth.com/thailand-pass

Have you seen the age limits in those policies? Only up to 75 for the first one and then only 70 for the second one.
Might cause some problems, or is that a common cut off?

goji
September 22nd, 2020, 15:02
The preferred traveler is one who is wealthy (do you get in the que for Louie Vuitton and Chanel at the Paragon?), probably from China or Taiwan.

Last time I looked, anyone returning to China has 2 weeks quarantine in a hotel. So applying some logic, that's going to limit Chinese visitors to those who can afford to lose 2 weeks when returning home and they are probably going to want a long holiday to justify this. It's really going to limit things to the genuinely independent people, as the massed middle classes won't get enough time off work to do this.

When Thailand needs more tourists, under current rules, they would need to look beyond China.

Up2U
September 22nd, 2020, 16:45
Have you seen the age limits in those policies? Only up to 75 for the first one and then only 70 for the second one.
Might cause some problems, or is that a common cut off?
You are right, there are age restrictions with this Covid-19 policy and health insurance here in Thailand. You can get health insurance here from Pacific Prime to age 75. I bought a Covid-19 policy here for 685 baht (1M coverage) and I am in my early seventies.

siscu58
September 23rd, 2020, 02:30
Using 92,000 baht that's less than 200 dollars and looks what included!

Tell me where you get this change rate. 92,000 baht is less than 200 dollars? This means you get more than 460 bahts for every single dollar?

gerefan2
September 23rd, 2020, 05:12
Tell me where you get this change rate. 92,000 baht is less than 200 dollars? This means you get more than 460 bahts for every single dollar?

Per day.

Up2U
September 23rd, 2020, 07:27
Per day.
Right. 82000/16 days/31.3(exchange rate)*1.177=192

65sqm room and assuming the rate excludes VAT and service charge(17.7%)

goji
September 23rd, 2020, 17:40
Right. 82000/16 days/31.3(exchange rate)*1.177=192

To make the calculation fit the original statement, 92000 has become 82000 and the quarantine period has increased from 14 to 16 days :).

Up2U
September 23rd, 2020, 22:03
To make the calculation fit the original statement, 92000 has become 82000 and the quarantine period has increased from 14 to 16 days :).
Right. The rate has been reduced since I first looked and it's not clear if taxes and service is included so I added them anyway. One could choose a smaller room at lower costs (which I have stayed in) and save a few bucks but it's still a good deal. Looks like they partner with Bumrungrad for the medical.

christianpfc
September 26th, 2020, 20:06
I would happily stay for 14 days in one of the cheaper (<36 kTHB) of these ASQ hotels if I can stay 270 days in Thailand afterwards. I would go even cheaper if there were some for 20 or even 10 kTHB; but let's put 1000 EUR = 36 kTHB as threshold. There is a complete list here:
https://thaiest.com/blog/list-of-alternative-state-quarantine-asq-hotels-thailand
which has their refund policies as well (I'm not going to book a non-refundable, considering all the other uncertainties).

That would still be more than I ever paid for accommodation per night, but 36 kTHB / 270 days is 133 THB/day which it is worth for me.

If I don't return to Thailand in Oct or Nov, it will not be for the quarantine, but for other factors (let's wait for details about STV and how the Thai embassy in Berlin processes STV).

gerefan2
September 27th, 2020, 00:11
If I don't return to Thailand in Oct or Nov, it will not be for the quarantine, but for other factors (let's wait for details about STV and how the Thai embassy in Berlin processes STV).

The killer at the moment is you have to arrive on a “Charter Flight”. I assume this means as part of a tour group.
There are none in Europe that I know of.

arsenal
September 27th, 2020, 10:41
Most of the charter flights are from China and there is some serious comedy to be enjoyed it you find yourself on the same plane as a Chinese tour group.

Watch as they swing their huge carry on baggage around hitting other passengers on the head. Sit open mouthed as taxiing stops and the plane is seconds from departure and then some woman gets up to deliver some snacks to her friend four rows back. Enjoy the idea that someone brings bags and bags of instant noodles on a holiday. If it's winter you can see rows of people sitting in polar artic gear. The spectacle of the slow realisation that the flight lasts 4 hours and the seat is not designed for sleeping thus necessitating multiple experimental contortions to find a comfortable position. Oh yes, it's certainly an experience flying out of a small provincial Chinese airport.

I've spent years wrestling with the decision. 25 minutes there in a taxi, a 5 minute check in and a direct flight with the zoo people or 2 hours to the nearest large airport and a decent airline with premium economy seats.

goji
September 27th, 2020, 14:58
I've spent years wrestling with the decision. 25 minutes there in a taxi, a 5 minute check in and a direct flight with the zoo people or 2 hours to the nearest large airport and a decent airline with premium economy seats.
If you can get a taxi with a non-suicidal driver, the latter option must be attractive.

The stupid requirement to arrive on a charter flight and the equally stupid requirement to show proof of payment for 90 days accommodation are big disincentives. However, I could overlook the latter point if a few fully refundable reservations on Booking.com are sufficient. I'm not directly paying ANY hotel for 90 days in advance and certainly not one in developing Asia.

Manforallseasons
September 27th, 2020, 20:36
Example of an approved quarantine hotel: https://youtu.be/2fVQ0ngWNfM

Armando
September 27th, 2020, 23:15
The killer at the moment is you have to arrive on a “Charter Flight”. I assume this means as part of a tour group.
There are none in Europe that I know of.

Like everything at present, we can only assume. I suspect we are thinking about the wrong sort of charter. I also suspect the Thai authorities are thinking about something on the lines of the repatriation flights. Though not scheduled flights, they are on scheduled airlines. I imagine all THAI. As far as I can see there are only 2 or 3 per month from each country. They are filled on a first come first served basis through requests to the local Thai Embassies.

The other question would be: are you locked in to a return flight when you book? If there are so few flights and you decide you can afford to stay for 180 days, what happens if you have to get home early - mother sick, house burned down, water buffalo on life support etc.? What penalty would have to be paid, if any? There would have to be some penalty if only to prevent those intending to stay for only 30 days getting the outward flights.

Dodger
September 28th, 2020, 10:06
The Special Tourist Visa (STV) was not intended for general tourists. There don't appear to be any loop-holes either.

I'm afraid you're beating a dead horse!

Armando
September 28th, 2020, 10:54
I would happily stay for 14 days in one of the cheaper (<36 kTHB) of these ASQ hotels if I can stay 270 days in Thailand afterwards. I would go even cheaper if there were some for 20 or even 10 kTHB; but let's put 1000 EUR = 36 kTHB as threshold. There is a complete list here:
which has their refund policies as well (I'm not going to book a non-refundable, considering all the other uncertainties).

That would still be more than I ever paid for accommodation per night, but 36 kTHB / 270 days is 133 THB/day which it is worth for me.

I'm sure you realise your math is wrong. 36K baht is not for 270 days, just the first 14 days. That's 2,571 per night. But you get three meals and covid tests thrown in :mocking_mini: Or is your post merely wishful thing?

Armando
September 28th, 2020, 13:46
Re my earlier post, apologies to christianpfc for a dumb answer. He is clearly amortising the covid hotel cost over his 270 day period as an extra daily expense.

Zebedee
September 28th, 2020, 13:54
The Special Tourist Visa (STV) was not intended for general tourists. There don't appear to be any loop-holes either.

I'm afraid you're beating a dead horse!

Bloody hell, for a dead horse he sure gets around!

Dodger
September 28th, 2020, 14:17
Bloody hell, for a dead horse he sure gets around!

You're right...here's a Utube video of him in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ngZ8nhk108