PDA

View Full Version : Covid Insurance

Manforallseasons
September 6th, 2020, 09:26
https://pattayaone.news/covid-19-insurance-approved-for-thai-tourists-from-high-risk-countries/

Dodger
September 6th, 2020, 11:23
Here we go again...another half-baked proposal getting slung out there to confuse the fuck out of everyone.

First, there was the Elite Visa Scheme, where foreigners were (and still are) being lured into buying these visa's ranging from 500,000 - 2,000,000 THB giving the impression that those who hold this visa would be allowed to enter Thailand, and be given preferential treatment upon arrival as well. When, in fact, the government (CCSA) has not acknowledged or approved this privilege, and the foreign embassies to date show this Elite privilege as being suspended. Ironically, this Elite Micky Mouse Club (administered by Immigration) are still trying to get people to buy this.

Then, there's this wonderful Phuket Holiday Scheme, which is currently being promoted globally before the government (CCSA) has even approved it. TAT, in their flurry of desperation, are already having travel agencies, and individual travelers, making travel plans based on the proposal outline shown in the news media, when, at the same time, articles in The Nation and Bangkok Post have clearly stated that the government (CCSA) has not approved this proposal launched by TAT to date. Talk about not being on the same page.

Now, here we go again with another Thai Insurance Scheme, where foreigners are being provided instructions for purchasing Covid-19 policies - before foreigners are even being allowed to enter Thailand, which contradicts earlier policy communications which stated that tourists, when they are permitted to enter Thailand, would be required to have insurance policies form their home countries providing a minimum of $100,000 worth of coverage. The intent of this was to make sure that tourists would be covered for Covid-19 while in-country which makes sense. But here we go (again) with a consortium of Thai-owned insurance companies, who, coincidentally, are owned by some of the wealthiest and most influential families in Thailand, waiting at the gates to sell you their polices. The only problem is, the gates will be empty.

Too many half-baked money-making schemes - too soon. (Ready - Fire - Aim)

In my opinion, a foreigner who wants to enter Thailand in the future needs to be concerned (and focused) on one thing, and one thing only, and that's the information provided to them by the Thai embassy in their home country. If it were me, and I'm glad as fucking hell it's not, I wouldn't be buying any special visa (Elite, or otherwise), searching for any charter flights to Phuket, or anywhere else in the Kingdom for that fact, and I sure as hell wouldn't be suckered into buying a Covid-19 health insurance policy from one of these so-called "Approved" Thai companies if I already had health insurance coverage in my own country.

Thailand is trying to position itself to make money on foreign tourists any way it can to offset the massive losses this year which is understandable. You can't blame them for that. But, you also can't blame foreigners for taking whatever precautions they need to take to protect themselves from being manipulated financially by these types of half-baked schemes, which, frankly, all appear to be totally one-sided, where Thailand's tourist industry benefits financially - and the tourists end up paying up-the-ass for a few weeks in a dungeon. What;s wrong with this picture?

The bottom line, the way I see it, is that foreigners should be focused on the fact that the CCSA, which is in full control of the decisions regarding tourist arrivals in Thailand, has not endorsed any of the "Schemes" listed above, although they have stated in numerous publications, that if and when tourists are permitted to enter Thailand, only those coming from Covid-Free countries would be permitted entry. This statement, in-and-by-itself, negates everything we see being promoted by TAT and the Thai health insurance officials referenced above. The only exception to this would be foreigners who are currently allowed entry as outlined in the C-19 Phase 6 Plan.

Personally, and I could be wrong, I just can't see too many tourists coming to Thailand if they had to quarantine for 14 days to begin with. An article was published a few weeks ago in one of these newspapers who contradict themselves constantly, that the Tourist Authority (TAT) was targeting the "Wealthy Tourists", thus the basis of the Phuket Scheme. Now, just ask yourselves, how many truly wealthy people do you know who would leave their estates, perfectly groomed golf courses, maid service, and pool-side playmates, only to fly to Thailand to be quarantined for 14 days on some island which probably resembles their back yards?

Oh well, that's my two cents.

Manforallseasons
September 6th, 2020, 11:48
Dodger, if and when foreigners are allowed back in Thailand regardless of quarantine issues they will need Covid insurance for sure......here are approved companies offering such insurance, as we both live here it may not be of much interest however, I’m sure it will be of interest to wannabe travelers.

Dodger
September 6th, 2020, 15:51
Dodger, if and when foreigners are allowed back in Thailand regardless of quarantine issues they will need Covid insurance for sure......here are approved companies offering such insurance, as we both live here it may not be of much interest however, I’m sure it will be of interest to wannabe travelers.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that if a tourist had proof of $100,000 insurance in their home country this would suffice. Meaning, no additional coverage would be required.

Manforallseasons
September 6th, 2020, 15:56
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that if a tourist had proof of $100,000 insurance in their home country this would suffice. Meaning, no additional coverage would be required.

Unless it is designated to cover Covid treatment while in a foreign country, perhaps.

Armando
September 6th, 2020, 17:25
Anyone know what that $100,000 of insurance is expected to cover. Many who normally live in Thailand and cannot get back in the foreseeable future may already have insurance policies which do not cover outpatient services. The older you get the more expensive outpatiemt premiums can become. Often these are higher than the policy deductible. So they make little sense.

Manforallseasons
September 6th, 2020, 17:45
My expat health Ins. covers anything related to Covid.

goji
September 6th, 2020, 17:55
I'd much rather have insurance from a UK provider, as if they don't pay up, at least I stand a chance with litigation.

christianpfc
September 6th, 2020, 20:48
Fully agree with Dogder #2, and can add another tidbit to illustrate what kind of half-arsed brain farts most proposals are:

The government had been hoping to allow around 200 Australian and New Zealand visitors to come to Phuket,...failed to take into account that Australians are currently not allowed leave their country and the New Zealand government is advising its citizens not to travel overseas unless it is an urgent matter.
extracted from: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/phuket-re-opening-to-be-postponed

gerefan2
September 6th, 2020, 23:24
As has been said Thailand has lost the plot.

goji
September 7th, 2020, 03:10
All they need is a checklist and/or a few intelligent people to check their proposals.

1 Covid infection rates in "preferred" countries for visitors.
2 Rules for people leaving the other country
3 Rules for when people return to the other country

Then add checks against every single rule Thailand intends to impose.

e.g. For point 3, if they think they are going to allow loads of Chinese tourists in, they also need to remember China has 2 weeks of "proper" quarantine when people return home. No quarantine at home -it's confined to a hotel. So very few tourists will come from there.

If Thailand sets up realistic quarantine rules for some European countries, they might get a few visitors.
Make the quarantine options as pleasant as possible, combine with a no-hassle 120 day visa waiver & don't add any additional dumb restrictions. That way, they might just get a few people going to Thailand for the winter (mainly retired & financially independent people).

gerefan2
September 7th, 2020, 06:35
I was thinking the 14 days quarantine in Phuket plus another week on Phuket might work to get me to Pattaya until I realised that I would have to fly to Phuket via BKK and then after quarantine get a flight to Pattaya.

That seemed OK until I realised I would need to fly back to Phuket again at the end of the trip in order to catch my flight home only for the first stop to be back at.BKK.

Hopeless!

cdnmatt
September 7th, 2020, 07:21
Canada Healthcare will reimburse you for all medical costs equivalent to what the same treatment would cost in Canada, meaning 100% for most countries we visit unless you get sick somewhere like Singapore or the US.

Best part is, healthcare in British Columbia at least is absolutely free. Used to be sometihng like $67/month, but as of Jan 1st, 2020 they even took that out, so now it's 100% free to all residents. I was even in the ER a few weeks ago, had a whole batter of tests done including blood workup, CT scan, etc. Didn't have to sign anything, let alone pay anything. Got an MRI scheduled shortly as well, and that will be free too. I guess the ambulance ride cost $80, but that's it.

Manforallseasons
September 7th, 2020, 14:31
cdnmatt, surely the outcome of your hospital visit will make a fascinating read however, what the fuck has it to do with Covid insurance for visitors to Thailand?

cdnmatt
September 7th, 2020, 14:45
I don't know, just bragging about that horrible socialized medicine Americans love to complain about, I guess. :)

Anywqay, point was Canadians (assuming they have healthcare) are covered for Kovid if visiting Thailand. They will reimburse you for any medical expenses incrred out of contry, up to the price it would cost in Canada. So if in Thailand, that means 100% reimbursement.

kkjason
September 7th, 2020, 23:31
...And once again people are posting information that has no basis in fact. I actually have an Elite Visa and have my COE to return next week. Others have already returned and are already in quarantine in Bangkok. Because the Elite Visa office in Bangkok actually takes care of everything, the information is not posted on Thai Embassy websites. This is because they have nothing to do with the actual arrangements in this case. Elite Visa handles the hotel bookings, flight reservations, and everything except getting the COVID-19 test, which I will be getting next Monday. The Certificate of Entry comes directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand, not from the Embassies as has been the case for other types of visa holders. So, why are telling a public message board that Elite Visa holders cannot return when you do not know the facts?

gerefan2
September 8th, 2020, 04:01
...And once again people are posting information that has no basis in fact. I actually have an Elite Visa and have my COE to return next week. Others have already returned and are already in quarantine in Bangkok. Because the Elite Visa office in Bangkok actually takes care of everything, the information is not posted on Thai Embassy websites. This is because they have nothing to do with the actual arrangements in this case. Elite Visa handles the hotel bookings, flight reservations, and everything except getting the COVID-19 test, which I will be getting next Monday. The Certificate of Entry comes directly from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Thailand, not from the Embassies as has been the case for other types of visa holders. So, why are telling a public message board that Elite Visa holders cannot return when you do not know the facts?

Please do let us know exactly how you get on ....

StevieWonders
September 8th, 2020, 07:02
I was thinking the 14 days quarantine in Phuket plus another week on Phuket might work to get me to Pattaya until I realised that I would have to fly to Phuket via BKK and then after quarantine get a flight to Pattaya.Never mind gerefan2, after taking note of public opinion on Phuket the whole “Phuket Plan” has been abandoned

And in bad news for arsenal who as I recall threatened ritual seppuku if he could not escape those acorn-sized Chinese cocks by Xmas - tourists from China will not be allowed any time soon

https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30394111

Dodger
September 8th, 2020, 09:23
So, why are telling a public message board that Elite Visa holders cannot return when you do not know the facts?

Because obtaining facts pertaining to matters like this in Thailand is next to impossible. All we can do at this end is read what the newspapers have to say about these Covid-19 travel policies, try to decipher what they're actually saying, shuffle through the numerous contradictions, and draw our own conclusions, based mostly on speculation. Understanding, that the news papers over here are "public" the same as our forum.

You, being an Elite Visa Holder, certainly have more incentive (a million baht more incentive) to get the answers you need so you can return to Thailand, and it sounds like, from what you're saying, you can return with no problem. That's great news.

If you don't mind, could you please tell us what country your coming from, what level Elite Visa you hold, and any other details you feel may be useful to future travelers.

Good luck...hope your arrival next week goes as expected.

kkjason
September 8th, 2020, 11:29
Because obtaining facts pertaining to matters like this in Thailand is next to impossible. All we can do at this end is read what the newspapers have to say about these Covid-19 travel policies, try to decipher what they're actually saying, shuffle through the numerous contradictions, and draw our own conclusions, based mostly on speculation. Understanding, that the news papers over here are "public" the same as our forum.

You, being an Elite Visa Holder, certainly have more incentive (a million baht more incentive) to get the answers you need so you can return to Thailand, and it sounds like, from what you're saying, you can return with no problem. That's great news.

If you don't mind, could you please tell us what country your coming from, what level Elite Visa you hold, and any other details you feel may be useful to future travelers.

Good luck...hope your arrival next week goes as expected.

Hello Dodger and Others;

I am actually from the USA, so don't shoot the messenger! The process for Elite Visa holders is actually quite simple now, but there is a process that is followed. In actually, we do very little other than fill out the request with the Elite office itself. The level of your visa with Elite does not actually matter. What does matter is how long you have had your visa and how long you have been out of the country. Those who have been out since February/March get priority. Those who have just received their visa recently are at the back of the line. Once you put in your request, which included three choices of possible hotels, the Elite office makes all of the arrangements. Once those are confirmed and you get a seat on a flight, then you get the COVID test three days prior. There are several places in my city that does the type of rapid testing that is required to get those results back quickly. In America, all COVID testing is free. Now, some will argue this point, but you can trust me that you can get the test for free just about anywhere, even if you do not have insurance in the States. I will say, and I have no idea why this is the case, but there are actually plenty of repatriation flights from the USA - there were 27 of them last month alone and at least that many scheduled for September. I have heard horror stories of people in Europe not having access to any such flights even if they get approval to get to Thailand, which is not right in my opinion - but it is what it is.

So - that is the process. With the Elite Visa, you do not actually go through the Embassy in the country you are in at all. Everything is done from inside Thailand and you are emailed all of the documents that you need. Our seats (my Thai husband and my retired father) are all booked - along with the hotel. I am rather looking forward to the quarantine - it will be 14 days of 'me' time, but I am sure I will probably get tired of it quite quickly. My father is dreading it, but can't wait to get back home to Thailand. My husband could take it or leave it.

Hopefully this information helps anyone wanting to return and has the Elite Visa. Yes - it is an expensive visa - I understand. But, just like I do not question how other people spend their money, I do not need other people questioning how I spend mine. It is a visa that works for me. It is certainly not for everyone.

Cheers -

Dodger
September 8th, 2020, 15:18
kkjason,

Thank you very much for your response and the information you provided.

if you don't mind me asking, are you a Thai National or U.S. Citizen? I'm only asking because you mentioned your father being happy to return to his home in Thailand. This of course has a lot to do with the travel ban policies, regardless of what type of Visa a person is holding.

Dodger
September 8th, 2020, 16:41
kkjasin,

As an add-on to my previous comments, Barry Kenyon, former British Counsel to Thailand, posted the information shown below in an article dated 02 September. From what Mr. Kenyon is saying, no foreigner is known to have entered Thailand recently solely by virtue of an Elite Membership.

This is one of the reasons why I questioned the value of Elite Membership to begin with. But, from what you're saying, this has changed and Elite Members are now good-to-go. Is that correct?

Exert from Barry Kenyon Article
02 September, 2020

Elite Visa Holders

The Elite visa offers a 5-20 year multiple-entry visa in exchange for a non-returnable cash deposit between 500,000 and two million baht. Last month, the Privilege Card Company sent an email to all card holders and applicants who had paid the cash up-front stating that Elite was now an approved category for applying to the local Thai embassy for permission to enter Thailand. However, many Thai embassies are stating that final permission is still awaited from Bangkok. No foreigner is known to have yet entered Thailand recently solely by virtue of Elite membership.

Armando
September 8th, 2020, 17:40
Surely the easy answer to the confusion is just to call the Elite Office in Bangkok. The general phone number is 02 352 3000

Philex
September 8th, 2020, 19:42
Here is no mention about the vaccine. Here in Europe we start vaccination November. Thai officials haven't got any plans for us that are safe to let in, without quarantine too. We should have just normal access without any testing or other formalities.

Manforallseasons
September 8th, 2020, 21:09
Here is no mention about the vaccine. Here in Europe we start vaccination November. Thai officials haven't got any plans for us that are safe to let in, without quarantine too. We should have just normal access without any testing or other formalities.

Keep dreaming! Thailand have remained virtually Covid free by closing it’s boarders, the cases that have been reported are almost totally attributable to foreigners.

kkjason
September 8th, 2020, 21:32
kkjasin,

As an add-on to my previous comments, Barry Kenyon, former British Counsel to Thailand, posted the information shown below in an article dated 02 September. From what Mr. Kenyon is saying, no foreigner is known to have entered Thailand recently solely by virtue of an Elite Membership.

This is one of the reasons why I questioned the value of Elite Membership to begin with. But, from what you're saying, this has changed and Elite Members are now good-to-go. Is that correct?

Exert from Barry Kenyon Article
02 September, 2020

Elite Visa Holders

The Elite visa offers a 5-20 year multiple-entry visa in exchange for a non-returnable cash deposit between 500,000 and two million baht. Last month, the Privilege Card Company sent an email to all card holders and applicants who had paid the cash up-front stating that Elite was now an approved category for applying to the local Thai embassy for permission to enter Thailand. However, many Thai embassies are stating that final permission is still awaited from Bangkok. No foreigner is known to have yet entered Thailand recently solely by virtue of Elite membership.

Hey Dodger;

That is old information, so the individual who sent that email out is mistaken - even though I hate to speak ill of our wonderful embassy staff around the world from various countries (slightly sarcastic there). It is true that actual permission for Elite Visa holders was given several months ago (I want to say late June?) - but we all had to wait. Official permission and the guidelines for entry was stipulated on August 19th. Again - no Thai embassies actually handle the process of the Certificate of Entry for Elite Visa holders - which is where the confusion probably comes in from Barry. All other types of visas that are able to return, I do believe, go through the Thai Embassy in the country that they are in. If an Elite Visa holder contacts the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles, for example, they will be told that they can't help them. One must go through the Elite Visa staff in Bangkok - from that point that process actually goes fairly quickly - at least it did for me. Some of our friends, as I have mentioned, returned last week.

By the way - my father is American - We take care of him and he moved with us to Thailand about three years ago. That is now his home - which is why I mentioned that - He has his own room, etc., and that is where he feels most comfortable, so he is chomping at the bit to get back.

Cheers -

Armando
September 9th, 2020, 11:35

Start vaccination in November? Says who? Trump? Does anyone seriously believe there will be a vaccine and mass vaccinations before 2021?

Why should Thailand let anyone in without testing or other formalities? At a time when second waves of the virus are being seen and new spikes being discovered in many parts of Europe just because countries opened up too quickly or as in England got their virus containment programme so completely wrong in the first place, why should Thailand which has done a very good job in its virus control open up to all and sundry? Normal access without strict conditions would be totally idiotic in my estimation.

Dodger
September 9th, 2020, 20:00
Hey Dodger;

That is old information, so the individual who sent that email out is mistaken - even though I hate to speak ill of our wonderful embassy staff around the world from various countries (slightly sarcastic there). -

It's hard to even blame embassy personal, because Thai immigration seems to thrive on generating chaos every time a policy change has to be made and communicated.

Thanks again for the additional information.

This sounds like good news, at least for those who can afford Elite Membership and simply don't have any other way of returning.

Good luck to all of you on your return.

kkjason
September 9th, 2020, 23:49
Good luck to all of you on your return.

Thanks! We are really looking forward to it - now we just need to get a negative result on this damn COVID test. None of us have been sick in months, but I have heard stories of people everywhere testing positive and they never had a clue that they had it...Oh well...no sense in worrying over something we have no control over.

Cheers -

Philex
September 10th, 2020, 02:37
Says our PM. AstraZenega vaccination starting in Finland

Up2U
September 10th, 2020, 13:47
Says our PM. AstraZenega vaccination starting in Finland
In case you haven't heard, the 3rd phase trial (emphasis on trial) as been suspended.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1982295/astrazeneca-pauses-covid-19-vaccine-trial-after-unexplained-illness

Dodger
September 11th, 2020, 16:59
Hey Dodger;

That is old information, so the individual who sent that email out is mistaken -.....

Hi again kkjason,

Pattaya Mail just released another article today written by Barry Kenyon. According to this update, the Elite Privilege is currently sitting on the back burner. If, in fact, you can bypass the Thai embassy in America entirely when obtaining your approval to travel as you stated that's good news, although again contradicts what's being reported on this end....as well as on the foreign embassy websites.

Maybe now you can see why obtaining "facts" in Thailand is like looking for a needle in a haystack...and sometimes the needle isn't even there!

Please let us know when you arrive in-country.

https://www.pattayamail.com/travel/plans-to-admit-foreign-tourists-to-thailand-on-back-burner-again-314282

kkjason
September 11th, 2020, 22:09
Hi again kkjason,

Pattaya Mail just released another article today written by Barry Kenyon. According to this update, the Elite Privilege is currently sitting on the back burner. If, in fact, you can bypass the Thai embassy in America entirely when obtaining your approval to travel as you stated that's good news, although again contradicts what's being reported on this end....as well as on the foreign embassy websites.

Maybe now you can see why obtaining "facts" in Thailand is like looking for a needle in a haystack...and sometimes the needle isn't even there!

Please let us know when you arrive in-country.

https://www.pattayamail.com/travel/plans-to-admit-foreign-tourists-to-thailand-on-back-burner-again-314282

Hey There Dodger;

I just read that article. Once again - all it references is Thai Embassy websites abroad. Thai Embassies have never had anything to do with the Elite Visa, so I am not sure why this Barry guy continues to be all hung up on it. For example - when a person originally gets the Elite Visa, it is not the embassy that issues it. In fact, you travel into Thailand with a letter issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Upon arrival, Thai immigration literally puts the visa in your passport a few moments after you get off the plane. If you are already in Thailand when you get approved for the Elite Visa, you just get the stamp put in the next time you are in Bangkok. So, the point is, even now with COVID, Thai embassies have nothing to do with Elite Visa holders returning, so of course they will not have any information to post on their website. It is all done directly through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. My COE was issued via email - there is nothing to it. I just don't understand why 'Barry' is so hung up on trying to disparage Elite visa holders - all he is doing is spreading misinformation. I understand that Thai Embassies should be privy to this information, but that is not up to me. As was suggested in this very thread, all 'Barry' would have to do is call the Elite Visa office in Bangkok and he would get all of the answers that he needs - isn't that what a 'journalist' is supposed to do? Just my rant for the day -

gerefan2
September 11th, 2020, 22:32
as suggested in this very thread, all 'Barry' would have to do is call the Elite Visa office in Bangkok and he would get all of the answers that he needs - isn't that what a 'journalist' is supposed to do? Just my rant for the day -

As also said before ....the media is the virus....

Philex
September 11th, 2020, 22:53
Just a normal procedure during f3 with large crowd. Still on schedule

Dodger
September 12th, 2020, 10:23
Hey There Dodger;

I just read that article. Once again - all it references is Thai Embassy websites abroad. Thai Embassies have never had anything to do with the Elite Visa, so I am not sure why this Barry guy continues to be all hung up on it.

Thank you again for your respnse, as well as your patience with this topic.

It's clear that Barry Kenyon simply doesn't know the details involved with the Elite Program.

Why this type of information isn't screened for accuracy during the editing process is a head-scratch, although, journalistic errors like like are unfortunately commonplace in Thai media in general. not isolated to Pattaya Mail articles.

I've already provided the Elite phone number along to 2 friends in the States in the event they may have interest in this going forward.

Thank you again for the information you're provided. Even though the Elite Program is not something I'm interested in, there may be others who are.

Enjoy your trip home...and please keep us posted.

Manforallseasons
September 12th, 2020, 10:55
For those that don’t know Barry Kenyon lives in Pattaya and was the Honorary British Counsel who previously spent most of his time assisting expats at Pattaya Immigration.

Dodger
September 25th, 2020, 19:18
...And once again people are posting information that has no basis in fact. I actually have an Elite Visa and have my COE to return next week......

kkjason,

Understanding that you were due to arrive back in Thailand last week on your Elite Visa - can you please tell us how the trip went.

Thanks in advance

kkjason
December 3rd, 2020, 14:45
kkjason,

Understanding that you were due to arrive back in Thailand last week on your Elite Visa - can you please tell us how the trip went.

Thanks in advance

Hey Dodger;

Just going through old forum postings and saw this one - a bit late - ha! - The trip ended up going better than expected. I have nothing but good things to say about the Thai Consulate in Los Angeles. They called us several times leading up to our departure to make sure we had everything, As I applied for everything, they would call if there were missing anything. To be honest - and I am being serious here - the process for me to get the COE with the Elite Visa was extremely simple. Elite Visa in Bangkok produced the letter from the Ministry of Foregin Affairs. With that letter, I simply uploaded it to the website in Los Angeles, along with copies of my insurance (I guess I am lucky here in that my insurance in the United States covers me in Thailand and issued a letter to that effect - for COVID I am talking about), copy of plane ticket, and the hotel reservation. Dad got his new visa and approval. My husband got his and we were on our way. Thai consulate representatives were at the airport to meet us and make sure we had everything. They even gave my husband (and the other Thais) a goodie bag of pork and sticky rice. We both enjoyed that on the plane! It was uneventful checking in at Los Angeles. The flight to Korea was long and boring, as could be expected. Transfer in Korea was smooth. They didn't even check our documents again - I was ready though! Then, arrival in Bangkok was smooth going - It helps having dad with us because he is in a wheelchair - we seem to go to the front of the line everywhere. Dropped us off at the hotel eventually. 14 days and three negative covid tests later we were on our way to Khon Kaen where we have been loving life again for the past two months. I will say that this is the time to come back - they have streamlined this process. I think it is much easier to get approval to come back than it was in the early days - at least if you have everything together. The quarantine is not fun - but it is what it is I guess. My husband and I MAY need to go back to the States again next summer for a month - if the process is the same as it is now, we will have no issues - but I hope the world is in a much better state by then so we can avoid the quarantine!

Cheers -

Dodger
December 3rd, 2020, 17:19
Hey Dodger;

Just going through old forum postings and saw this one - a bit late - ha! - The trip ended up going better than expected.

That's great news!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't visit the forum during your 14 day quarantine. How in the hell did you keep busy?

Were you allowed the leave your hotel at all for exercise?

Any advice on what others should do to survive quarantine?

kkjason
December 3rd, 2020, 18:39
That's great news!

Thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm a bit surprised you didn't visit the forum during your 14-day quarantine. How in the hell did you keep busy?

Were you allowed the leave your hotel at all for exercise?

Any advice on what others should do to survive quarantine?

You kind of get into a routine. I was fortunate in that my husband and I are legally married in the United States and Thailand accepts that for quarantine purposes. So, we did get to stay together. Dad stayed right next door. We ended up getting into a routine. Mealtimes were always looked forward to as it was something to do. Once a day, we got to take dad down the hallway to the exercise bike for an hour. I always have work to do on the computer, and the husband has television and YouTube - all in all, it wasn't that bad. However, if someone is on their own, I could see a need to be more proactive in having things to do to stay occupied. I am not a big tv watcher, but I do like to read. So, I went through about six books during the quarantine. I have heard of some people writing a book during quarantine, and a friend of mine actually started an online business. Plan ahead and quarantine can actually produce dividends in the long run - who knows. All that to say, it is not that bad. Once you get over the initial week, the countdown begins and the end is there before you know it.

Oh - one other piece of advice is not to go stingy in the choice of ASQ hotel. We went for a luxury hotel and did not regret it. We had every modern convenience, including premium Internet. Some others I know when cheapo and got basic Thai television, Internet that was out more than it was on, and food that left a lot to be desired. Dripping air conditioners... the lot. Go a bit more upscale, it is 14 days after all, and it will be money well spent in my opinion.

Cheers -

Marc K
December 4th, 2020, 03:17
And after all the expense of at least 3 Elite Visas, 3 ASQ's and lord only knows what else, kkjason ends up in Khon Kaen to watch the paint dry there? I sure hope it was/will be all worth it, Jason. From the sounds of your post you are planning to live full time there?

PS Didn't mean to be harsh. Actually if I were to live in Isaan, I do think KK is the nicest place of all in the northeast. And also has the best hospital as well should your Dad or you or you hubby ever need one. Very impressive hospital. You can keep the somtum though.

kkjason
December 4th, 2020, 05:54
And after all the expense of at least 3 Elite Visas, 3 ASQ's and lord only knows what else, kkjason ends up in Khon Kaen to watch the paint dry there? I sure hope it was/will be all worth it, Jason. From the sounds of your post you are planning to live full time there?

PS Didn't mean to be harsh. Actually if I were to live in Isaan, I do think KK is the nicest place of all in the northeast. And also has the best hospital as well should your Dad or you or you hubby ever need one. Very impressive hospital. You can keep the somtum though.

I do live full-time in Khon Kaen - have for 12 years - so what exactly is your point? And - since my husband is Thai - not sure why you would think he needs an elite visa. And, since my dad has a retirement visa - not sure why you would think he needs an Elite visa. As I have stated here many times - I already have an Elite Visa - so that was an expense incurred long before the pandemic hit. So, besides the quarantine - I fail to see where this 'extra expense' you talk about has come from. Can you enlighten me so I can be sure to check my bank statement? By the way - our insurance paid for our COVID tests (for myself and my dad) and fit to fly certificates - so there really was nothing additional there. To get back home in Khon Kaen - where yes - we have our own home - was well worth it.

latintopxxx
December 4th, 2020, 12:14
kinda nice u drag your dad along...hope u supply him with some "entertainment too"...

Dodger
December 4th, 2020, 15:10
You kind of get into a routine. I was fortunate in that my husband and I are legally married in the United States and Thailand accepts that for quarantine purposes.

Jason, thank you so much for the information and advice you offered.

Having your "significant other" with you during quarantine is an advantage I think very few would be privilege to. I wonder if this may prompt some of these stranded expats to marry their boyfriends for this very purpose...(tongue-in-cheek)

I like what you had to say about different ways of being productive during this process. I also agree wholeheartedly with your recommendation for those who have to quarantine to focus on "quality" versus "cost". That could make all the difference in the world, and, as you stated, 14 days is a long period of time.

Congratulations on you all making it home safely. Don't ever leave again!

Cheers,

kkjason
December 5th, 2020, 08:46
Congratulations on you all making it home safely. Don't ever leave again!

Cheers,[/QUOTE]

Thank you Dodger! We are very happy to say the least and, as you mention, we are not planning to leave again for a LONG time - This was an experience I don't plan on repeating again anytime soon. Although, as you mention, it was easier having my husband with me the entire time. We have lived together for so long that we kind of stir crazy if the other one is not around for very long -

Cheers -

Blueskytoday
December 6th, 2020, 03:43
anyone know,,,the USD $100,000 covin insurance policy one needs to enter Thailand...what does it cost..seems like a very high premium and who would buy it just
to travel to TH???

StevieWonders
December 6th, 2020, 04:23
anyone know,,,the USD $100,000 covin insurance policy one needs to enter Thailand...what does it cost..seems like a very high premium and who would buy it just
to travel to TH???Do mummy and daddy still let you out to play by yourself? The $100,000 is what the insurance policy will pay out if required. Like all insurance policies its cost to you is cents on the dollar and will probably depend on your age. The most likely cost is $100 to $200. I saw one advertised the other day for USD99.

gerefan2
December 6th, 2020, 05:49
anyone know,,,the USD $100,000 covin insurance policy one needs to enter Thailand...what does it cost..

All depends. How old are you, how long do you want it for, any pre existing diseases etc . How long is a piece of string?

Blueskytoday
December 10th, 2020, 04:13
You don't have to be arrogant and snotty about my question....I did not know so I politely asked.....tks anyway for your reply

Armando
December 10th, 2020, 09:33
Do mummy and daddy still let you out to play by yourself?
I guess you enjoy making just plain childish replies.