PDA

View Full Version : "I see no signal from the government that the country will open this year." - TAT

Moses
August 10th, 2020, 14:58
Deputy governor for international marketing at TAT, Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, noted that there has been “no talk of a timeline issued for reopening the country to inbound or outbound leisure travel during weekly Covid-19 national meetings”.

He spoke of the Thai government’s “very, very cautious” approach to reopening borders and said he doesn’t expect Thailand to welcome tourists until at least 2021.

“I see no signal from the government that the country will open this year. That’s putting lot of pressure on the tourism industry. The Christmas period, usually the high season, is in jeopardy and I’m looking horribly even to Chinese New Year in February, which is an iffy proposition at best now. Unfortunately, this is not a rosy picture.”

Oliver2
August 10th, 2020, 16:27
As expected and feared. Those of us who are getting-on in years and and have been finding a twenty-hour journey increasingly stressful, every month counts.

Patanawet
August 10th, 2020, 16:43
Let's hope that the TAT are as accurate about this as they are with all the statistics that they pluck out of the air or invent.

Khor tose
August 16th, 2020, 02:11
Deputy governor for international marketing at TAT, Chattan Kunjara Na Ayudhya, noted that there has been “no talk of a timeline issued for reopening the country to inbound or outbound leisure travel during weekly Covid-19 national meetings”.

He spoke of the Thai government’s “very, very cautious” approach to reopening borders and said he doesn’t expect Thailand to welcome tourists until at least 2021.

“I see no signal from the government that the country will open this year. That’s putting lot of pressure on the tourism industry. The Christmas period, usually the high season, is in jeopardy and I’m looking horribly even to Chinese New Year in February, which is an iffy proposition at best now. Unfortunately, this is not a rosy picture.”

It is kind of hard for me to believe, but Thailand is doing an outstanding job protecting its citizens. While here is the USA our president is hoping to virus gets sop bad that people stay home, rather then risk covid, by voting in person to get rid of him,. He really is shutting down the US Postal service to achieve that end. It will be a cold day in hell, before I bad mouth any other government (other then England) after seeing my own get this bad.

\

gerefan2
August 16th, 2020, 03:04
Conversely ...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1968487/phuket-begins-plan-for-tourists-to-return?cx_placement=underbox#cxrecs_s

Oliver2
August 16th, 2020, 13:56
We don't know what pressures are being applied to the Thai Government by the tourist industry; big businesses have political clout, particularly in a country run by a junta that loves its Rolex watches and offers little democratic credibility. And now it is facing street protests again, not in Red Shirt areas but in the Yellow Shirt heartland of Bangkok. Predictably, its response has been repressive.

Manforallseasons
August 16th, 2020, 14:12
Conversely ...

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1968487/phuket-begins-plan-for-tourists-to-return?cx_placement=underbox#cxrecs_s

The main protests are now happening in Bangkok, they are not about the economy they are about opposition to the Junta and the _____ they are mostly students from 2 universities as well as some high school students. Their objectives are to limit the powers of both and rewrite the constitution.

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/opinion/2020/08/15/opinion-2-parallel-thailands-are-headed-for-a-collision/

Oliver2
August 16th, 2020, 17:26
Exactly....in many cases from more affluent homes, which is why they are less likely to be shot like dogs in the street. Once the Junta's power base turns on them, there's hope for change.