PDA

View Full Version : Beating a Dead Horse

Manforallseasons
August 7th, 2020, 22:45
If the situation wasn’t so sad it would be humorous to read the constant longings and rationalizations of those that want to return to Thailand. Get a grip as your return is not inevitable for the foreseeable future.
Why not use your time constructively such as joining a garden club. :unknw_mini:

Zebedee
August 7th, 2020, 23:09
I think in that other Thread of yours , " No End in Sight" , it was all about trying to keep the Thread alive and people posting. Thai related Material is becoming harder to generate, bars are struggling, tourism is practically dead, and this all affects this board. Strange times.

gerefan2
August 8th, 2020, 01:14
Typical example of “Im all right Jack”.

Nirish guy
August 8th, 2020, 01:39
Aye, until the Govt decide to screw a bit more with the visa / retirement visa rules perhaps and then it might be a different story perhaps I guess .....

goji
August 8th, 2020, 04:02
The dead horse is mainly being beaten by MFAS.

I'll probably be taking a holiday in Thailand within 12 months, whether MFAS likes it or not. And if I can't travel to Thailand, no problem, as there will be other interesting countries that decide they need tourism money again and start welcoming us

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 08:23
I really wish I could visit Thailand , I said on another thread how much I miss it, I have been travelling there for a good number of years. I'll believe in a vaccine when it is produced and delivered to the population and it proves effective over a reasonlable safe time period. It is encouraging to learn of vaccine trials, and the progress being made, to me it's "nice to know" but very far from what I need to hear in order to make plans or get my hopes up.I think it's in the governments interest, and maybe their duty,to try to boost people's morale, to give them hope that their lives might soon return to normal, the media also like to have a story to sell. I'm not saying any of this is malicious, it's just news stories. If the present rate of new infections continue , it will become more difficult to control people's behaviour regarding covid-19 safe practice, especially in western countries. That could be as big a problem as the virus.
There is nothing I can do to change this shitty situation,and I have to accept it, that's not always easy, but I value my life more than the boys asses....just about.
I am not having a shot at anyone else's opinion or intentions regarding travel to Thailand ,or vaccines I'm only stating my own views and how I see it.

arsenal
August 8th, 2020, 08:57
Zebs wrote.
"There is nothing I can do to change this shitty situation"

Exactly. And you don't need to. 140 plus companies and their governments are working flat out and at full capacity on this. That's why we have them. Stop worrying about it and just wait for the vaccine. It's here before Christmas.

snotface
August 8th, 2020, 11:06
The trend of recent posting reminds me of the old pantomime routine: 'Oh yes it will', 'Oh no it won't', 'Oh yes it will'... Take your pick as to who are the good fairies and who the evil fairies in this sad tale of frustrated tourists and hardbitten expats. Personally I think both extreme optimism and extreme pessimism are misplaced at the moment. What can we do but wait and see?

Manforallseasons
August 8th, 2020, 11:11
Stop worrying about it and just wait for the vaccine. It's here before Christmas.

Christmas 2020? There are many vaccines in different stages of testing only the Russians who seldom are capable of the truth suggest they will have a vaccine ready August without going through any testing norms. If by some chance a vaccine is found safe and effective by October do you really think it will be available worldwide in December, wishful thinking will not make it happen.

arsenal
August 8th, 2020, 11:55
MFAS wrote.
" If by some chance a vaccine is found safe and effective by October do you really think it will be available worldwide in December,"

No, of course not. Certain places like Africa and South America will be last. I'm talking about Europe, America and Asia. China will begin vaccinating in September. The Oxford test gives a result in 90 minutes. No one's going to hang about on this. And I'm coming to the conclusion that the "wishful thinking" is yours and that you very much enjoy the new empty Pattaya. And I don't blame you for that.

NB. It's wishful thinking that makes everything happen.

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 12:08
The trend of recent posting reminds me of the old pantomime routine: 'Oh yes it will', 'Oh no it won't', 'Oh yes it will'... Take your pick as to who are the good fairies and who the evil fairies in this sad tale of frustrated tourists and hardbitten expats. Personally I think both extreme optimism and extreme pessimism are misplaced at the moment. What can we do but wait and see?

"He's behind you, behind you...no no the otherside" !!! happy days at the panto.
and these days its: " its everywhere, all around us this farking Corona"

But you are right there some really bad fairies around this board. LOL

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 12:21
Wishin' and hopin' and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' each night of his charms
That won't get you into his arms
So if you're lookin' to find love you can share
All you gotta do is hold him and kiss him and love him
And show him that you care
Show him that you care just for him
Do the things he likes to do

--Dusty Springfield

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 12:42
Typical example of “Im all right Jack”.

Not trying to dilute your comment but you just reminded me of a boy named Jack who worked in I think it was called HAPPY BOYS on Soi Yensabai many years ago. A stunner, and a nice guy. Normally i don't remember all the names but thought the name Jack unusual for a thai guy and it stuck in my mind. I guess my desperation is showing!

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 13:37
anyone who can hear dusty springfield singing when reading the above lyrics....is an old man, and a good fairy!

LOL

Oliver2
August 8th, 2020, 13:57
It's bad enough here in London but the unbearable smugness of some expats is beyond endurance. Some expats.

We tourists, paid for and provided the infrastructure into which they inserted themselves. Not just one with a plethora of mbs but the bars and restaurants, the high-end hospitals and even the cleaner beaches; the money of a handful of expats (a declining handful, I suspect) doesn't pay for much. Without our contributions, the expats would be living in a what would be a little fishing village with a not-very pleasing beach. And not for long.

And now we are banned, the Chinese tour buses no longer clogging up the streets and the pesky motor-cyclists of Yensabai back home, what do we get? Sympathy? Hopes for tearful reunions with our boyfriends? No, a level of smugness which verges on the gleeful.

If tourism dies, specifically gay tourism, then some of the expats will be trying to renegotiate their way back to their home countries. I hope they don't expect our sympathy when they confront house-prices here while swapping their Pattaya apartments for flats of equal cost but decidedly unequal quality here. And as for sex....

Some expats, I emphasise .

francois
August 8th, 2020, 14:07
Zebs wrote.
"There is nothing I can do to change this shitty situation"

Exactly. And you don't need to. 140 plus companies and their governments are working flat out and at full capacity on this. That's why we have them. Stop worrying about it and just wait for the vaccine. It's here before Christmas.

Do you also believe Santa Claus will arrive on Christmas? :devilsh:

If perchance, you are referring to Christmas, 2021 then maybe.

I do hope I am wrong and you are right, but doubtful.:(

Manforallseasons
August 8th, 2020, 14:17
It's bad enough here in London but the unbearable smugness of some expats is beyond endurance. And now we are banned, the Chinese tour buses no longer clogging up the streets and the pesky motor-cyclists of Yensabai back home, what do we get? Sympathy? Hopes for tearful reunions with our boyfriends? No, a level of smugness which verges on the gleeful.

Now your substantially younger Thai boyfriend no longer has to play this tedious game when you travel here, he can spend his time in bliss with his Thai boyfriend of course minus your ready available funding however, if you are content with your fantasy by all means keep sending him funds.

Moses
August 8th, 2020, 14:34
only the Russians who seldom are capable of the truth suggest they will have a vaccine ready August without going through any testing norms

Testing norms? Who speaking about "testing norms"? USA "testing norms" means to test new vaccines on orphans and mentally disabled people who has no relatives. How can you call it "norms"?

Check history of polio vaccine:

On 27 February 1950, Koprowski's live, attenuated vaccine was tested for the first time on an 8-year-old boy living at Letchworth Village, an institution for the physically and mentally disabled located in New York. After the child suffered no side effects, Koprowski enlarged his experiment to include 19 other children.

Live (!!!) vaccine (i.e. with live virus). Oh dear, norms?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine

a447
August 8th, 2020, 14:41
Not trying to dilute your comment but you just reminded me of a boy named Jack who worked in I think it was called HAPPY BOYS on Soi Yensabai many years ago. A stunner, and a nice guy. Normally i don't remember all the names but thought the name Jack unusual for a thai guy and it stuck in my mind. I guess my desperation is showing!

Mmmm...I used to know a lovely guy called Jack a number of years ago who used to work at Eros and it's sister bar, Happy Boys.

He had slightly batwing ears and a very large appendage. One of the nicest guys I've ever met anywhere, and my first regular in Pattaya.

Sadly, he left the scene to go work in a shoe shop in Mike Plaza, but he gave me his phone number for when I returned to Pattaya. Knowing that he wanted out of the mb scene, I resisted the temptation to contact him again. It meant we both ended up losing, but for different reasons, of course.

I think we might be talking about the same guy.

Dodger
August 8th, 2020, 14:49
These travel bans effect everyone...tourists and expats alike, so I really don't see what all these bitter jabs all about.

I had originally planned to return home to visit family earlier this year. If I had done so, I would still be banned from returning to Thailand the same as if I were still holding a Tourist Visa. It's simply the luck of the draw. Some guys got stranded back in their home countries, and some were fortunate enough to be in-country when this crap started. It's as simple as that.

If by chance I would have returned home and got stranded, I'm confident that I would have done, exactly as I've always done when setbacks in life occur, and simply made the best of the situation. Knowing me as I do (not an easy task), I would have put Thailand on the back-burner until the planet was back rotating on its axis again, kissed the family members on their rosy cheeks, and got my ass down to a budget gay-friendly resort somewhere on the U.S. coastline for some BOY ACTION!

Thailand is my favorite place...no doubt......but it's not the only place!

gerefan2
August 8th, 2020, 15:12

Like others my first boy was “Jack” who definitely worked in Forest House. He came from Chang Rai and this was about 2005.

Great guy!

goji
August 8th, 2020, 15:41

I think Dr Edward Jenner deliberately infected a young boy with smallpox to prove that cowpox was an effective vaccine.

These days, vaccine development seems to have gone to the opposite extreme.
Despite knowing certain vaccines have produced antibodies AND that these vaccines work in macaques, there is a reluctance to speed up vaccine development by deliberately infecting volunteers.
They could easily start with volunteers in the 18~30 range & screen them for health problems, so that they have a population in which the underlying covid death rate would be near zero. Vaccinate them, wait 3 weeks, then deliberately infect these volunteers with covid. Monitor results for 2 weeks, then include a higher age range in the next trial.

I'd be happy to participate.

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 16:04
Mmmm...I used to know a lovely guy called Jack a number of years ago who used to work at Eros and it's sister bar, Happy Boys.

He had slightly batwing ears and a very large appendage. One of the nicest guys I've ever met anywhere, and my first regular in Pattaya.

Sadly, he left the scene to go work in a shoe shop in Mike Plaza, but he gave me his phone number for when I returned to Pattaya. Knowing that he wanted out of the mb scene, I resisted the temptation to contact him again. It meant we both ended up losing, but for different reasons, of course.

I think we might be talking about the same guy.

I don't think it's the same Jack ...despite my thinking the name unusual... if your Jack had batwing ears that would have been an instant turn off for me.The Jack I knew and offed several times was a "looker" and seemed unaware of it, this made him even more attractive to me. But you say he worked in Happy Boys also, thats a coincidence. Maybe it was the same guy, or the name jack was more common than I thought.

Manforallseasons
August 8th, 2020, 17:00
[QUOTE=Moses;268475]Testing norms? Who speaking about "testing norms"? USA "testing norms"

No the W.H.O. norms.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/russia-urged-not-to-roll-out-coronavirus-vaccine-until-it-goes-through-all-stages-of-testing

Moses
August 8th, 2020, 17:16
[QUOTE=Moses;268475]Testing norms? Who speaking about "testing norms"? USA "testing norms"

No the W.H.O. norms.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/russia-urged-not-to-roll-out-coronavirus-vaccine-until-it-goes-through-all-stages-of-testing

No one country will follow "WHO norms". You'll see it soon. Because "WHO norms" means 3-5 years of testing. Do you really think somebody will follow them?

This one "Russian vaccine" what world is talking about is safe. But is expensive in manufacturing - Gamaleya lab took simple adenovirus, installed into it fragment of COVID-19. Almost everyone in world already has immunity to adenovirus (simple cold). After vaccination patient will also develop immunity to COVID-19 without risk to get sick. But still has risk to get allergy or to get cold-like effect ofr 1-2 days.

Since it is expensive, it will be manufactured mainly for medics and other staff who serves public. Rest crowd will wait for cheap vaccine till October-December.

a447
August 8th, 2020, 17:41
I don't think it's the same Jack ...despite my thinking the name unusual... if your Jack had batwing ears that would have been an instant turn off for me.

His ears weren't especially noticeable - I mean, they weren't flapping in the wind. Lol

I think Jack is a fairly common name. The first guy I ever had in Bangkok was called Jack, and I've met a few over the years. I saw Jack still working in Soi Twilight many years later and he still looked as hot as hell.

a447
August 8th, 2020, 17:46
Since it is expensive, it will be manufactured mainly for medics and other staff who serves public. Rest crowd will wait for cheap vaccine till October-December.

I'll pay! I'll pay!

Just get it to me!!!

francois
August 8th, 2020, 18:02
They could easily start with volunteers in the 18~30 range & screen them for health problems, so that they have a population in which the underlying covid death rate would be near zero. Vaccinate them, wait 3 weeks, then deliberately infect these volunteers with covid. Monitor results for 2 weeks, then include a higher age range in the next trial.

I'd be happy to participate.

Are you in the 18-30 range? :devilsh:

goji
August 8th, 2020, 18:58
Are you in the 18-30 range? :devilsh:

Only after dividing by 2.

Despite being over 50, I'd volunteer for deliberate infection with covid, subject to receiving a vaccine that's proven to generate antibodies and prior medical screening.
It makes no sense to start with this age range, but I'd still volunteer. I think the odds would be pretty good.

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 19:23
His ears weren't especially noticeable - I mean, they weren't flapping in the wind. Lol

I think Jack is a fairly common name. The first guy I ever had in Bangkok was called Jack, and I've met a few over the years. I saw Jack still working in Soi Twilight many years later and he still looked as hot as hell.

LOL, I had a good laugh at that.
Poor Jack. Maybe it was a small bat! Although I usually hold 'em by the ears for certain activities,maybe I got carried away one night! lol

God if you describe him as hot it must have been him, I think he was from a village called Na Dan or something near Udon Thani. I considered him boyfriend material at one stage....but thats not unusual for me. lol
But for me to actually remember a guy from that far back he would have to be special. And yes he was a very nice guy Id love to meet him again, but would think if he worked in that industry longtime it would have taken its toll, maybe not so much physically but that country boy innocence would be gone I'd say.

arsenal
August 8th, 2020, 19:27
Goji. Are you seriously saying you'd risk an untested vaccine in order to get your arse back to Pattaya? Fucking ridiculously stupid. Me too.
Hahahahaha.

If history is to be believed only Soddom and Gomorrah can match Pattaya.

gerefan2
August 8th, 2020, 22:02
The Jack I met from Forest House had quite a few tattoos, which I don’t normally like. In his case I made an exception.

Did your Jack’s have tatts?

That’s tats not tits.

goji
August 8th, 2020, 22:17
Goji. Are you seriously saying you'd risk an untested vaccine in order to get your arse back to Pattaya? Fucking ridiculously stupid. Me too.

I'm not quite brave enough to take the first jab of an untested vaccine.

I'd risk a half-tested vaccine.
Something like the Oxford vaccine's been tested on macaques, has had a first phase test and now has quite a few thousand in phase 3 testing.
Only a very small percentage of that phase 3 will be exposed to the virus, so I reckon they should speed that part along by deliberately exposing a few people to it. I'd volunteer for that.
Overall, I reckon the population of the planet would be better off if a small number of people took such risks.

a447
August 8th, 2020, 23:20

Yep.

But he didn't work at Forest House afaik. It's that some kind of beer bar?

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 23:52
Yep.

The Jack I met from Forest House had quite a few tattoos, which I don’t normally like. In his case I made an exception.

That’s tats not tits.

My Jack did not have tattoos OR tits.....but he had a great ass. He would have been about 19/20 yrs old when I met him.
Also I doubt if my Jack would have been able to work in a beer bar i.e. Forest House. It seems it's a different Jack after all.

gerefan2
August 8th, 2020, 23:55
Yep.

Yes the beer bar just as you enter Sunee Plaza, next to Power Boys and Nice Boys. Sadly reported as permanently closed the other day.

Khor tose
August 9th, 2020, 00:45
Testing norms? Who speaking about "testing norms"? USA "testing norms" means to test new vaccines on orphans and mentally disabled people who has no relatives. How can you call it "norms"?

Check history of polio vaccine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polio_vaccine``

Very true. and Sabin got his vaccine by modifying Koprowski's vaccine.
However, what he did it NY in 19050 was not ethical by that days standards, nor todays. I clearly remember when the AIDS epidemic started, how people were saying his polio vaccine in Africa caused HIV. Stupid and totally not true. Poland has every reason to be proud of this remarkable scientist.

bkkguy
August 9th, 2020, 20:31
I used to know a guy in the Sunee bars called Jack, I think his surname was Meoff, but I suppose it is too late in this thread to mention this :))

Zebedee
August 9th, 2020, 20:46
I used to know a guy in the Sunee bars called Jack, I think his surname was Meoff, but I suppose it is too late in this thread to mention this :))

It's never too late for Jack Meoff, and with the travel restrictions he's the only one around. I'd bet many of the posters outside of Thailand would know him very well at this stage!

sglad
August 9th, 2020, 23:44

And believe it or not, it's the same horse from The Godfather.

Zebedee
August 11th, 2020, 22:42

And believe it or not, it's the same horse from The Godfather.

Neigh, that was a horse of a different colour.

Blueskytoday
August 12th, 2020, 05:30
Move on,,enough about this JACK guy...;;;;;;;; give me something of interest...tks

latintopxxx
August 12th, 2020, 08:44
...at least its not my pony...