PDA

View Full Version : The End that is in Sight.

Dodger
August 7th, 2020, 11:57
With the understanding that the end of the Covid-19 pandemic is not in sight, there are some things that may impact our futures that are starting to become clearer:

Jet Setters will probably never have the freedom or flexibility to travel like they have in the past.

Airline fleets will undoubtedly shrink in size, catering more to business travelers, special services (including diplomatic and educational) versus pleasure travelers.

Migrant workers will routinely be faced with organizational quarantine mandates (most countries), regardless of their country or origin.

Businesses will increase the use of current technology to conduct on-site meetings versus off-site meetings where air travel is required.

The creation of advanced technologies (apps) which allow more people to perform work from their homes will grow exponentially.

Global supply-chains will see a reverse trend – with more reliance on domestic products and services, and less reliance on foreign sources.

Pandemic controls such as airport screening, vaccine verification, quarantine restrictions, face masks, social-distancing, etc., will become standard operating procedures (most countries)

Governments will start creating cross-functional Pandemic Emergency Response Teams, which, up until now, have been non-existent.

Home virus detection testers will be mass-produced, and become commonplace in most households.

Domestic tourism will increase in scope and popularity (post pandemic periods).

Elderly people, especially those with preexisting medical conditions, will be exposing themselves much less to open public environments.

Sport and Entertainment Venues which draw massive crowds will become less popular over time as the risk becomes more apparent to the general public.

Architects and Builders will be creating more designs focusing on social-distancing, improved ventilation, safety, ergonomics, etc.

Schools will continue offering more at-home educational programs and support systems.

Financial projections in the International Tourist Industry will shrink considerably based on reality – versus - attempts to resuscitate an industry that has little hope of recovering.

Home delivery businesses will continue to boom.

And, last but not least… people will start farting to cover up a cough – versus – coughing to cover up a fart.

arsenal
August 7th, 2020, 12:55
No mention of the four horsemen of the apocalypse!

Zebedee
August 7th, 2020, 13:28
And, last but not least… people will start farting to cover up a cough – versus – coughing to cover up a fart.

And they will be told to ...."far cough" !

Hat tip to bkkguy

StevieWonders
August 7th, 2020, 15:16
If the coronavirus remains part of our future I’m here to say that I like my men the same way I like my COVID - 19 and easily spread

goji
August 7th, 2020, 16:36
Jet Setters will probably never have the freedom or flexibility to travel like they have in the past.

Airline fleets will undoubtedly shrink in size, catering more to business travelers, special services (including diplomatic and educational) versus pleasure travelers.

Migrant workers will routinely be faced with organizational quarantine mandates (most countries), regardless of their country or origin.

Despite the more positive title, this opening post is more suicidal than the other thread. MFAS managed a doom and gloom title, with a reasonably balanced open post.

We shouldn't mix up possibility with probability.

Whilst it's possible that we may have less freedom to travel indefinitely, it's more probable that we have a vaccine within 12 months and start getting back to normal.

Airline fleets ARE shrinking in size, as airlines generally retire aircraft that are expensive to run, like 747s. I estimate that fleets will probably be growing again in 3~4 years time.

I doubt there will be permanent quarantine requirements for migrant workers, tourists or anyone else. What I do expect, is next time there's a new virus, rather than responding too slowly, governments will be more likely over react and that's how it's could be for the next 20~30 years. Permanent quarantine rules are only needed if we don't develop vaccines and treatments.

On the subject of quarantine, should it not be possible to have a hybrid arrangement, where the traveller is tested on arrival & then a couple of times during a shortened quarantine period ? If all the tests are OK, end of quarantine. The duration of the quarantine period should be based on data, not my estimate.

bkkguy
August 7th, 2020, 19:18
And they will be told to ...."far cough" !

Hat tip to bkkguy

I certainly can't lay claim this - I had seen in in quite a few other places before I added it to my sig, and it is just a rework of the old "...far queue" response to annoying people anyway!

Dodger
August 7th, 2020, 19:31
I certainly can't lay claim this - I had seen in in quite a few other places before I added it to my sig, and it is just a rework of the old "...far queue" response to annoying people anyway!

Huh?

Zebedee
August 7th, 2020, 21:44

Huh?

Dodger, I'll try to translate . It's a play on the London cockney accent eg

Far Cough = Fark Off = Fuck off. But they pronounce it Fark Off.

Same thing with Far queue = Fark you= Fuck you.

Brad the Impala
August 8th, 2020, 00:40
Dodger, I'll try to translate . It's a play on the London cockney accent eg

Far Cough = Fark Off = Fuck off. But they pronounce it Fark Off.

I think you are over elaborating. It works with a posh accent.....Fahr Khaawf, or actually pretty much any other accent

dinagam
August 8th, 2020, 09:06
Dodger, I'll try to translate . It's a play on the London cockney accent .

It's a shame that the Americans will not be able to use "Far line" in a witty way.

a447
August 8th, 2020, 09:56
It's a shame that the Americans will not be able to use "Far line" in a witty way.

Now it's my turn.

Huh?

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 11:28

Now it's my turn.

Huh?

Got me as well.

bkkguy
August 8th, 2020, 19:30

the British have always outshone the Americans in organising themselves in an orderly fashion and in being witty about as well, it is not just "two peoples divided by a common language" - it is an attitude difference as well :)

and for a447 and ZeBeDee I am assuming from dinagam's post that Americans prefer "line" to "queue" in general use

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 19:50
and for a447 and ZeBeDee I am assuming from dinagam's post that Americans prefer "line" to "queue" in general use

Still too cryptic for me...
Far Line = Far queue ??, but the context used in dinagam's post!

oh Hang on is dinagam wishing Americans could say "Fark you" ....to me?

Eat your heart out Dan Brown

Dodger
August 9th, 2020, 09:47
No mention of the four horsemen of the apocalypse!

The last thing I'd want to do is reference a fictional fairy-tale at a time like this. Too busy focusing on "reality".