PDA

View Full Version : Gay partnerships back on the agenda

StevieWonders
July 9th, 2020, 06:01
Just don’t mention the word “marriage”
https://matadornetwork.com/read/thai-cabinet-passes-bill-allowing-same-sex-unions/

Smiles
July 9th, 2020, 09:05
" ... Just don’t mention the word “marriage” ... "Well well well. I'll keep my eyes wide open while things start to gel.
I don't give a tinker's damn whether 'That Word' comes out of the closet or not. However I do care whether I get, legally, half the house, as well as the pre-nup. :mocking_mini::heart:
I don't care about the picket fence.

2lz2p
July 9th, 2020, 10:16
Here is link to The Nation article: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30390964

Now up to Parliament to approve before it can happen. Doesn't matter to me that it is not fully a "marriage" as it provides for the important aspects, e.g., inheritance, etc. It does note that one of the partners has to be Thai nationality, so farangs can register with their Thai partner. I plan to do so with my Thai bf of 27 years if it becomes law before I pass on to the great beyond - at my age, time is of the essence:)).

francois
July 9th, 2020, 13:22
. I plan to do so with my Thai bf of 27 years if it becomes law before I pass on to the great beyond - at my age, time is of the essence:)).

You can't be that old, can you?

Dodger
July 10th, 2020, 10:52
This seems to be a step in the right direction , but I can see some Thais who won't be jumping for joy regarding the inheritance provision.

I don't think Thai families (especially the moms) will be too happy about seeing their sons (or daughters) assets going to a farang under any circumstances. If the couple owned a house, condo, or business which were placed in the Thai partners name, then, according to this new provision, the farang would inherit these assets if his Thai partner were to die - the same as if they were married.

Up until now, Thai law is written to benefit Thais and only Thais. Foreigners are always on the losing end...that's just the way it's always been. We'll have to see the small print on this new Civil Partnership proposal before getting too excited.

mahjongguy
July 11th, 2020, 06:52
Inheritance by the partner would be the default but could easily be overwritten by a Will.

Anyway, yes, let's see the details, please. In my particular situation, this new deal might offer one or two small advantages.