PDA

View Full Version : So long La Scala Theatre Bangkok

dinagam
July 5th, 2020, 12:55
I never missed catching a show or two when in Bangkok, the last time was early last year for the Italian films screening by the cultural office of the embassy of Italy. The Art-deco interior has always felt so welcoming and comfortable for a couple of hours of movie time.
Alas in the wake of the covid-19 pandemic, the 50-year-old theatre bid its final farewell to theatre fans this weekend, lucky but a sad affair for those who are in Bangkok.

christianpfc
July 6th, 2020, 00:26
I went many times over the years to watch movies in Scala. Very sad to read the news some days ago that it will close forever.

Brad the Impala
July 6th, 2020, 03:13
Scala was one of the few sources of indy movies in Bangkok, along with it's neighbour the Lido. So very sad to hear of it's closure. Is the Lido still running, or is it going as well? I've been going to both of them since I worked in Siam Square some forty years ago.

Hopefully House cinema, which I understood to be subsidised by a rich patron, will continue running.

christianpfc
July 6th, 2020, 20:03
If I remember correctly, Lido closed years ago.

It's not just Scala. A Chinese shrine on the grounds of Chulalongkorn University is going to be demolished as well:

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/controversy-over-universitys-plan-to-demolish-chinese-shrine

dinagam
July 6th, 2020, 21:29
Lido has been refurbished last year with new sittings and screens. However when I caught a movie there sometime in September, there was no box office, and tickets were sold in the foyer by staff equipped with a laptop scrolling through bookings made online. They did many daily screenings then. Unfortunately of late this has been reduced to four a day lately. I have been receiving their showtime and movie updates via the Line app, and the latest is for this week. Apart from screening movies they also hold talks and functions, the most recent being related to the 'Pride' week, you know that Gay stuff.

colmx
July 7th, 2020, 01:43
Hopefully House cinema, which I understood to be subsidised by a rich patron, will continue running.
There is a new House Cinema in the new mall Samyan Mitrtown https://www.housesamyan.com/site/Movie, its about a 10 min walk from Screwboys