View Full Version : 'Good Penetration' condoms banned

wowpow
August 9th, 2006, 10:43
BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai cultural watchdogs have banned a line of condoms whose name translates as "Good Penetration", saying the suggestive label could draw youngsters into having sex earlier, newspapers reported on Tuesday.
The condoms are actually named "Tom Dundee" after the stage name of a popular country singer, but Culture Ministry officials said this was inappropriate and offended good norms and culture, the Thai Rath tabloid said. "Dundee" in Thai means "Good Penetration".

"Although the name is not vulgar or rude, it is ambiguous, boastful and provocative," said Ladda Tangsupachai of the Cultural Watch Centre.

"It could entice excessive consumption and lure children and youths with little maturity to start having sexual activities before their appropriate age," she added. Dundee, whose real name is Puntiva Poomiprates, defended lending his stage name to the condom brand.

He said he was merely following a government policy to promote safe sex in a country where over 500,000 people have HIV or AIDS, and indicators point to climbing infection rates among the young.

"You can't stop human desire, no matter how old they are, so it is better to protect them," Puntiva told Reuters, adding that he had been telling his audiences about the risks of AIDS and unwanted pregnancy for years.

In Thailand, condom producers have to seek approval from both the Health and Culture ministries.

August 9th, 2006, 11:10
Hmmm. In light of your post TeePee, I'm going to have to rethink my idea to market Fcuk Him Raw condoms in Thailand.

August 9th, 2006, 14:34
DELETED

August 9th, 2006, 15:55
Sounds like protectionism to me. Who holds the monopoly?

August 9th, 2006, 16:05
Stupid and misguided, I agree. There is no "monopoly" on condoms that is being protected, though.

August 9th, 2006, 16:28
BANGKOK (Reuters) the Thai Rath tabloid said. "Dundee" in Thai means "Good Penetration".

I recall seeing the fim 'Crocodile Dundee' at Siam Sqaure without any problems :bounce:

wowpow
August 11th, 2006, 13:35
Good point Naughty. I also note that the Oriental Bakery sell Dundee Fruit Cake.

August 12th, 2006, 10:35
"Dundee Cake"; perhaps the British version of "Portnoys Complaint"??

wowpow
August 12th, 2006, 11:04
Portnoy's Complaint: A disorder in which strongly-felt ethical and altruistic impulses are perpetually warring with extreme sexual longings, often of a perverse nature...

Traditional Scottish Recipes, - Dundee Cake

Here is a rich, fruity cake topped with almonds. It became popular at the end of the 19th century. It is often served at Christmas. You can omit the whisky or use another spirit if you wish!

Ingredients: 8oz Flour 6 oz Butter 5oz Caster/granulated sugar 4 Eggs 1oz Blanched almonds 1.5oz mixed peel 6oz each of currants, raisins, sultanas (seedless white raisins) Grated rind and juice of lemon 1 level teaspoon baking powder 2 tablespoons whisky 2 tablespoons boiled milk and 1 tablespoon sugar

Method : Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl. When it is white and creamy, slowly add the four eggs (one at a time), plus a spoonful of flour with each beating well all the time. Stir in the nuts and fruits. Add the rest of the flour, (sifted with the baking powder) and the whisky. Make sure the mixture is stirred well - right to the foot of the bowl. If it is too stiff, add a little milk.
Place mixture in an 8-inch greased and lined cake tin. Flatten the top with hands which are slightly wet. Cover with foil or greaseproof paper and bake at 325F (170C) or gas mark 3 for two hours. Halfway through, take off the foil and arrange the split almonds in concentric circles on the top of the cake. Check the cake with a skewer towards the end of cooking - if it is still wet in the middle, put it back for more cooking! 5/10 minutes before cooking is finished, brush the top with the sweetened milk to create a dry glaze. Keep in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out on a wired tray. Store in an airtight container.
================================================== =====================================

Dundee Marmelade is on sale in Bangkok

August 12th, 2006, 14:28
TeePee, thank you for the precise definition of Portnoys Complaint; it gave me a giggle when I read it. And it was very apt. (Although I must admit when I first mentioned it, my mind was thinking of the movie by the same name in which one of the characters did something nasty to/with a piece of liver his mother had bought for dinner).
The recipe looks good too; perhaps there's a market for Dundee flavoured condoms amongst the British community!!