PDA

View Full Version : Western Union. Transfer declined

gerefan2
June 5th, 2020, 01:37
I had a transfer declined today for no apparent reason.

The money has left my bank account and they sent their standard e mail with the code number. When the boy went to collect it they said it had not come through.

At the same time I got a email saying the payment was declined. No reason. I rang their UK number and was instructed to email them with a reference, which I did. They wouldn’t say any more. No reply yet. I have used them for years and never had a problem before.

I vaguely remember someone saying they also had the same thing. Could it be I have made too many transfers recently? I have only made about 3 a month...hardly a lot....covid!

Anyone else had this?

latintopxxx
June 5th, 2020, 03:31
was it over USD10K??

gerefan2
June 5th, 2020, 04:44
It was £54!

Mancs
June 5th, 2020, 05:09
I would check the bank end of it was definitely ok as well. I've sent loads on WU and never had that yet. I found this googling it, on a WU support page:

"Banks don't share with WU the specific reasons for declined transfers. The decline could be related to the cash advance capability of your credit card, your credit card limit, a mistake when entering bank account information or other requirements from your bank. Please contact your bank directly."

Marc K
June 5th, 2020, 05:20
Just curious why anyone would use WU in the first place these days? Their rates are usurious and their customer support is mercurial at best, as the OP points out. I've had really good luck with Xoom these days, works like a charm and money is available almost instantaneously for pickup at most every Thai bank. I've also heard good things about Remitly and Transferwise. Maybe its time to dump those old companies who have been ripping us off for years, and, to my mind, WU heads the list!

dab69
June 5th, 2020, 06:47
When friend was up to 3-5 transfers a week they said exceeded limit.
Now it's permanent.
MoneyGram is easy too.
Just got a limit/refusal today on them.
Same deal as WU> cannot tell your friend it's not YOU stopping.
But I never sent and had it stop before they picked it up.
Call the number - talk to the representative. They don't know shit-
when limit will reset or exactly why.

dab69
June 5th, 2020, 07:54
Just switch your business to MoneyGram.
They both have to follow restrictions/regulations from Thailand separately.
One quits, use another.

If Thai authorities got their taxes there might be less restrictions.

Oliver2
June 5th, 2020, 15:03
I assume that you were trying to use WU's service online. Try one of their outlets; there is a difference.

cdnmatt
June 5th, 2020, 19:14
I generally send 2 or 3 WU transfers per-month, and haven't had any issues at all. I just use their web site / online service, and I guess with the first transfer they had to call me to verify everything, but after that recipient and credit card information was saved in their system, so all subsequent transfers have been absolutely no issue. All depends, but average send is about $150 USD, and they've all went through fine without problem.

dab69
June 5th, 2020, 19:48
why would they have to call you?
how do you know it wasn't hackers taking your information?
seriously sounds like fraud.
they never called me.
it's all automated online and Dollar Store dummies in store here.

gerefan2
June 5th, 2020, 21:58
Update.

I tried sending just 1000 baht to another name and it went through. So I sent the remaining money a few minutes later and that went through OK.

Dunno what was going on, Now I have to wait for a promised refund.

dab69
June 6th, 2020, 02:07
Have them send their address.
Take the money in an addressed envelope with postage and mail it to them.
To insure it gets to them safe mark "money inside" in Thai script.

just sent this suggestion to a friend
trying to get home without money
I couldn't resist

cdnmatt
June 6th, 2020, 02:09
why would they have to call you?
how do you know it wasn't hackers taking your information?
seriously sounds like fraud.
they never called me.
it's all automated online and Dollar Store dummies in store here.

You mean me? It was a new WU account registration, new credit card, and new recipient within their system. They just wanted to make sure everything was legit and on the up and up. After that first send, all subsequent sends were immediate without issue.

Josan
June 11th, 2020, 20:13
Western Union has been having problems for some time. They have lost about 40% of their business in Africa and else where. Reportedly the US government has filed federal charges against WU for money laundering. A copy of this case in on the net.