PDA

View Full Version : Jomtien Complex gets Mighty Erection

Kenny
June 4th, 2020, 17:12
The Jomtien Complex is in line for a major makeover as preparations continue for the erection of a steel canopy over the soi. The steelwork is in the final stages of fabrication at the end of the street in front of The Venue.
Once the erection is complete the frame will be covered over to create an arcade beneath.
I think it may get hot under there.
There are also a few new food stands outside The Venue.
The street remains quiet as the bars wait for the final stage of easing Covid19 restrictions to kick in.
Some bars are taking advantage of the lull to carryout a makeover of their own, including the former Man Bar which has changed ownership and is now being reopened by the owner of Double Shot Bar from Sunnee Plaza.
There is a lift in the mood in the Complex as the boys have returned - the massage boys that is - as the massage shops have reopened under the current phase of easing restrictions.

dinagam
June 4th, 2020, 17:19
Hope to see a nicer picture once erected.

arsenal
June 4th, 2020, 18:01
A roof over the soi. What a truly terrible idea. Who wants to sit 'inside' and the noise is likely to be deafening.

Patanawet
June 4th, 2020, 18:37
Who is paying for this?

Manforallseasons
June 4th, 2020, 19:48
Unfortunately not many options other than the complex.

Brad the Impala
June 4th, 2020, 20:45
Full marks for the thread title!

sglad
June 4th, 2020, 21:03
Jomtien Complex gets Mighty Erection

From the look of things, the erection is due to rigor mortis, not arousal.

Moses
June 4th, 2020, 21:32
looks like they prepare to build-up new market... chicken-market?

Manforallseasons
June 4th, 2020, 23:15
looks like they prepare to build-up new market... chicken-market?

More like a hen house!

Brad the Impala
June 4th, 2020, 23:26
So there will be a few cocks hanging about outside then!

goji
June 4th, 2020, 23:31
Going there mainly during the dry season, I don't see the need for a canopy.
However, I guess it could be advantageous during other seasons, assuming suitable guttering is provided to take away the rain, rather than deposit it on chairs at the sides of the soi.

gerefan2
June 5th, 2020, 01:21
The noise from the music plus a tropical downpour will be deafening!

Nirish guy
June 5th, 2020, 02:18
Was always good fun though in Soi Twilight in Bkk with the plastic sheeting roof outside banana bar etc, where when raining the boys would get their Revenge on the odd (so called) straight who just happened to walk in and out of the Soi at great speed “by mistake” whilst swinging their arms and doing the whole “don’t TOUCH me” thing as the bar tours tried to encourage them in - was always a drowning waiting to happen and once you were a regular you knew never to sit under the joins in the sheets as the water stored in the hollows was dumped over the assholes head :-) Awww I miss those days :-(

Smiles
June 5th, 2020, 09:46
From what I can see from the photos the heavy-duty renovations are not happening on the main Soi Boy Bar, 90% of which are situated there. The one photo of that Soi is bereft of iron works, welding with their welders, dumpings of all sorts of tools.

I may easily big wrong ... for instance, perhaps they are just doing the heavy work so as vehicles can get through etc etc., and perhaps they will be moving all that stuff down the main drag sooner or later.

For myself, I like the funky layout of Jomtien Soi Bar Boy and hope it stays as-is. It feels homey and happy and destroying SnotFace at snooker on our visits which are about 3 times a year.
Perhaps we should protest with gusto: 'Gay Needs Matter'

Kenny
June 5th, 2020, 10:05
From what I can see from the photos the heavy-duty renovations are not happening on the main Soi Boy Bar, 90% of which are situated there. The one photo of that Soi is bereft of iron works, welding with their welders, dumpings of all sorts of tools.

I may easily big wrong ... for instance, perhaps they are just doing the heavy work so as vehicles can get through etc etc., and perhaps they will be moving all that stuff down the main drag sooner or later.[/B]
Smiles, the construction method is not as heavy as you would expect. They have just bolted connector plates to the balconies surrounding the soi. There is an anchor point in each of the circular balconies. More of a garden DIY approach than heavy engineering.

arsenal
June 5th, 2020, 10:16
Won't they need a ventilation system necessitating quite heavy electrical equipment. If it goes up in flames there's nowhere to go.

Apparently they're looking at doing the same thing in.Walking Street.

Smiles
June 5th, 2020, 10:49
Smiles, the construction method is not as heavy as you would expect. They have just bolted connector plates to the balconies surrounding the soi. There is an anchor point in each of the circular balconies. More of a garden DIY approach than heavy engineering.I defer to specific knowledge. Last time I picked up a hammer and screw driver (used the hammer to to help me with the screw driver) was around 1967.
I should keep to erections.

Oliver2
June 5th, 2020, 15:06
What both surprises and reassures me is that there is such confidence in the future of the Complex.

aussie_
June 5th, 2020, 18:29
What both surprises and reassures me is that there is such confidence in the future of the Complex.
The majority of bar owners did not want the canopy but the Jomtiem Complex committee still went ahead with the project.

arsenal
June 5th, 2020, 18:49
They'll put the rent up and it's already at the very top end of the scale. Back to Sunee everyone.

goji
June 6th, 2020, 16:42
Smiles, the construction method is not as heavy as you would expect. They have just bolted connector plates to the balconies surrounding the soi. There is an anchor point in each of the circular balconies. More of a garden DIY approach than heavy engineering.

Is there any provision for movement in these connector plates ?
I'm fairly sure steel has s different coefficient of thermal expansion to concrete and earth. Also, it there is any movement in the foundations, something's going to get stressed.
Also, attaching these directly to the cantilever balconies sounds all wrong to me. Surely not the curved balconies ?

Kenny
June 6th, 2020, 17:14
Is there any provision for movement in these connector plates ?
I'm fairly sure steel has s different coefficient of thermal expansion to concrete and earth. Also, it there is any movement in the foundations, something's going to get stressed.
Also, attaching these directly to the cantilever balconies sounds all wrong to me. Surely not the curved balconies ?

Like you I have misgivings about this scheme, Goji.
The connector plates are at the center of the semi-circular balconies, directly over supporting columns underneath, so the weight of the new frame should be carried down to the foundations.
I have no idea what type of foundations there are. I have heard that piles are very common in the Jomtien Complex.
I am concerned about the effects of wind, but I think there are tablets for that.
I hope the whole contraption does not take off for Hua Hin in a storm, taking a bunch of bar boys with it.

Patanawet
June 6th, 2020, 17:42
I have heard that piles are very common in the Jomtien Complex.

Preparation-H -- also good or bags under the eyes.:))

dinagam
June 6th, 2020, 17:56
And not to mention those hairy man boobs...

bkkguy
June 6th, 2020, 19:14
Back to Sunee everyone.

Moses in an earlier post suggested they might be building a chicken market so maybe Sunee is moving to Jomtien Complex!

arsenal
June 6th, 2020, 21:49
In Chinese slang Sunee already is a chicken market.

francois
June 7th, 2020, 11:44
There is a lift in the mood in the Complex as the boys have returned - the massage boys that is - as the massage shops have reopened under the current phase of easing restrictions.

Rumor has it that bars will reopen on 15 June.

aot871
June 7th, 2020, 17:09

when the bars do open , theres only the expat punters which wont go far

gerefan2
June 8th, 2020, 01:16

Rumour had it they were to reopen last Friday...

Smiles
June 8th, 2020, 12:47
In Hua Hin bars opening up on June 15. (Somebody told me. Could change. ... :bo::bo: :love::love:)
Alcohol is allowed under the Hua Hin beach umbrellas since last week. Actual sipping tells me. No arrests. Sex still not allowed. Could change.

francois
June 8th, 2020, 15:00
Rumour had it they were to reopen last Friday...

Just can't put faith in rumours.

sglad
June 9th, 2020, 06:30
when the bars do open , theres only the expat punters which wont go far

It's a start. June to September is traditionally (very) low season anyway and I presume the bars depended on their savings and the local residents to tide them over until high season. It'd be great if the locals who are able gave their custom and support to the venues that are re-opening. If anything, it would provide a huge psychological boost to those in the business and others to see some semblance of a return to normalcy. Bums in seats will beget more bums in seats and Pattaya has no shortage of fat ones.

However, when the Covid dust has settled, Pattaya venue owners will have to take a long, hard look at future market trends and see where potential customers are likely to come from and what they're looking for. Pattaya bars were already dying long before Covid. They are at least five years behind Bangkok venues in terms of re-inventing and adapting themselves to what current pink dollar spenders want.

arsenal
June 13th, 2020, 21:01
So where are we on this roof malarkey. The worst idea since Jesus said 'that Judas Iscariot's a right laugh, I think I'll ask him to join us for dinner.'

aussie_
June 17th, 2020, 13:33
So where are we on this roof malarkey.
The beams are welded, painted and stacked next to the carpark down the soi near the Venue show bar. They were moving signs at some of the bars earlier this week to make room for the roof. Not much will happen today with a big rain storm in progress.

goji
June 17th, 2020, 22:10
The worst idea since Jesus said 'that Judas Iscariot's a right laugh

Some of the large covered sheds in places line Udon Thani are surprisingly good. Also, a shed in Jomtien is an idea not entirely without merit.
OK, the noise might be a problem, but it should be good when there is rain.

On this planet, there's a lot of competition for "worst idea", including many ideas with no possible benefit at all.
At least this has some advantages to offset against the disadvantages.

aussie_
June 19th, 2020, 09:48
The canopy/roof - 18/19th June

Smiles
June 19th, 2020, 11:25
The original photos (June 4) showed stuff lying all over the place, making it difficult as to where the 'cover' would be.
However, 2 weeks later, we now know.
Not bad actually. I rather like it.

Thanks Kenny for the original photos, and thanks Aussie for the latest.
Hope someone will take shots of the finished new massive Jomtien condom. Hope the Mighty Erection fits.

Manforallseasons
June 19th, 2020, 11:39
It is a good idea as it will weatherproof that part of the complex.

arsenal
June 19th, 2020, 12:22
Did it need weatherproofing? We weren't playing tennis tournaments there.

And. From the design it looks like any rain will go directly down to the wall and then cascade into the front of the bar.

Moses
June 19th, 2020, 13:59
I doubt it will be "cover" - too thin supports, too wide distance btw arks

Support for decorations maybe...

goji
June 19th, 2020, 15:01
From the design it looks like any rain will go directly down to the wall and then cascade into the front of the bar.

Ignoring wind & assuming the cover goes beyond the steelwork, I presume the rain would land on the balconies and follow whatever drainage that has.
Add in some wind and I think bar customers will be relying on the existing roof coverings to protect them from rain coming in on one side of the soi.

There's also a possibility that they put in some carefully designed high capacity gutters to take away the rain, but I'm not confident.

a447
June 19th, 2020, 15:47
.. too thin supports, too wide distance btw arks

Which suggests it might even blow away in a storm.

I wonder about the safety of this entire structure.

Moses
June 19th, 2020, 21:19
Which suggests it might even blow away in a storm.

I wonder about the safety of this entire structure.

If it will be used like a support for electrical garlands or something like that - than it is enough.

Up2U
June 22nd, 2020, 06:55
The original photos (June 4) showed stuff lying all over the place, making it difficult as to where the 'cover' would be.
However, 2 weeks later, we now know.
Not bad actually. I rather like it.

Thanks Kenny for the original photos, and thanks Aussie for the latest.
Hope someone will take shots of the finished new massive Jomtien condom. Hope the Mighty Erection fits.

I hope the "new massive Jomtien condom" is elephant size......
https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?t=10416

GWMinUS
June 22nd, 2020, 11:53
I think Moses has the correct idea!!
I cannot see a covering working out there.
BUT we will all wait to know!!!

newalaan2
June 22nd, 2020, 20:31
I think Moses has the correct idea!!
I cannot see a covering working out there.
BUT we will all wait to know!!!

When I saw the initial post I just assumed lightweight clear perspex covering, but couldn't see brackets on the beams to secure sheets, even a tarpaulin style covering has rain water to consider in both weight and disposal, yet the beam sizes seem a bit much just to hold up a few twinkle lights, but not sure how lightweight the beams actually are from the pics. Does anyone know if any of the bar owners have confirmed the finished structure details as yet?

However the most important/positive aspect of this Mighty Erection is that somebody is prepared to commit to a project for future business and along with Double Shot decision to relocate from Sunee is welcome news for the Complex, personally I have no preference covering or not as long as the Complex continues to exit in it's current form of gay/boy bars.

Oliver2
June 23rd, 2020, 13:45
That is exactly what has been in my mind. A vote of confidence in Thailand, in Pattaya and in the gay scene. Just the opposite of what happened in Boyztown.

goji
June 24th, 2020, 14:53
Here's a picture from Udon Thani which might help us imagine how the roof structure would be finished off.
I don't think they have hired Sir Norman Foster for this one, but guess it will still work out OK.

arsenal
June 24th, 2020, 15:27
The point of it still escapes me. And it might become an issue for the street food sellers.

goji
June 24th, 2020, 16:06
I expect the street food vendors will carry on as normal. There are plenty of sheds in Thailand with multiple food vendors cooking food inside.

dab69
June 25th, 2020, 08:55
I pity any condo owners in the area that enjoy watching the early evening
street scenery from their balconies above the bars...

aussie_
June 25th, 2020, 12:57
The side of the erection. The welded joints are not to any high standard, a hard hat may be recommended when walking underneath on a windy day.

The last photo shows the charity bin at Frasers Sports Bar being raided. These are desperate times but may be normal for this guy as he was viciously barked at by a soi dog yesterday when he stole food from a small temple/shrine outside of a Jomtiem Complex massage place.

Moses
June 25th, 2020, 13:55
The side of the erection. The welded joints are not to any high standard, a hard hat may be recommended when walking underneath on a windy day.

It doesn't looks like roof support. Also: imagine to where will go all water at heavy rain is they will cover street with roof. I think it is for some illumination and decoration

goji
June 25th, 2020, 16:09
Whilst that might not pass as a roof support here in Europe, it looks similar to other Thai roof supports.
To be fair, I believe the majority do not fall down & it's probably just a case of a smaller safety margin.

As for guttering to dispose of the rainwater, if that's to be added, it would be added after the roof covering. However, even without that, presumably most of the rain would end up on the balconies, which must have some form of drainage.

As for the purpose of this erection, I think we can exclude sun protection, since the bars are open at night. So I had assumed it could be nothing more than rain protection.
However, looking at the last photo, it probably also screens the soi off from people in the apartment blocks. But I doubt that's the main purpose.

bucky13
June 26th, 2020, 01:01
All this speculation amuses me. Can't someone just go over and ask one of the workmen what the endgame is?

gerefan2
June 26th, 2020, 01:05
It’s a bit of overkill just to hang a few fairy lights.

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2020, 01:33
Which would lead me to think that perhaps one of the City Hall types who issues the overall licences / building permits etc - well maybe his brother also owns a "we put up decorative lighting metal work structures " and the town hall suggested it might be a better way of securing "better tourism" numbers by thinking of installing on of those very popular roof structures that you see, ohhhhh and just while we're here here's a card of a guy who just happens to build that stuff ........I mean it IS Thailand after all so stranger things ! :)

goji
June 26th, 2020, 03:06
All this speculation amuses me. Can't someone just go over and ask one of the workmen what the endgame is?
Boards thrive on speculation. However, it's clearly a support for a roof.

arsenal
June 26th, 2020, 12:00
If it's a roof then maybe it gets re-classified as an entertainment zone. In which case go go bars are permitted.

Manforallseasons
June 26th, 2020, 14:13
If it's a roof then maybe it gets re-classified as an entertainment zone. In which case go go bars are permitted.

Sorry but regardless of a roof you will not see a Gogo bar ever in the complex.

goji
June 26th, 2020, 14:53
Sorry but regardless of a roof you will not see a Gogo bar ever in the complex.
The complex has host bars which facilitate prostitution & may have live music. It also has The Venue, a cabaret bar. The photo below was apparently taken there & the dress code would be perfectly OK in any gogo bar.

Any rules which permit boys to prance around on stage in their underwear but prohibit gogo bars must be quite precisely written.

arsenal
June 26th, 2020, 15:25
No one has ever been able to tell me exactly what legally constitutes a go go bar.
Underwear?
Closed front?
Stage?
Show?
Offability?
Nudity?
All of the above? Perhaps technically A-Bomb is no longer a go go bar. Who knows?

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2020, 16:37
I wonder whilst the builders are there putting up that roof / non roof would someone ask them to pop into The Venue and stick an RSJ or two up on the ceiling so they can take away that bloody vertical ceiling support beam that sits bang in the centre of the stage as it drives me crazy every time I have to peer around it and the dancers have to dance around it each and every time they perform !

a447
June 26th, 2020, 17:16
Any rules which permit boys to prance around on stage in their underwear but prohibit gogo bars must be quite precisely written.

Perhaps the rule is that the guys must actually be appearing in a show, rather than just appearing on stage in their underwear.

goji
June 26th, 2020, 17:34
Perhaps the rule is that the guys must actually be appearing in a show, rather than just appearing on stage in their underwear.
Such a rule would be pretty easy to circumvent. Would masturbation count as a show ? (like Nice Boys)

I suspect there is no gogo bar rule in Jomtien Complex, rather it's just a rumour that's been perpetuated for years on boards & is presumed to be fact.
Of course, in the unlikely event that anyone here has read & understood the planning documents, I look forward to enlightenment on the topic.

Manforallseasons
June 26th, 2020, 17:36
Years ago a Gogo did exist in the complex and the police had it closed shortly after it opened. Supposedly it has to do with zoning and it is the Thai authorities that decide how it is applied not falangs.

arsenal
June 26th, 2020, 18:01
MFAS wrote.
"Supposedly it has to do with zoning and it is the Thai authorities that decide how it is applied not falangs."

That's clearly where they're going wrong.

goji
June 26th, 2020, 19:23
I imagine the Thai authorities decide how the rules are applied based on kickbacks & nothing else.

Jomtien complex seems to be mostly hotels, food & entertainment. The only rational reason to restrict entertainment would be to reduce noise for nearby residents, but this generally doesn't tend to be a factor in Pattaya.
They allow host bars to have open air street parties with very loud music, which is worse than the lower levels of noise generated by an enclosed gogo bar.

francois
June 26th, 2020, 21:00
I wonder whilst the builders are there putting up that roof / non roof would someone ask them to pop into The Venue....!

Speaking of The Venue, the roof does not go that far; it ends just before the Venue.

Oliver2
June 26th, 2020, 21:10
Go- go bars have been harmless (more or less) when it comes to noise pollution. For one thing, they have doors....the Boyztown disaster was rooted in the decision of some show bars to dispense with doors and let their music flow out onto the soi. Loudly. This encouraged a sort of contest as to whose noise would dominate. The nightly battles between Cop 's successor (I forget the name) and the old Cafe Royal ensured that those of us who wanted to chat to our friend over a beer in Panorama, Oscar's or Ambiance weren't able to.
Then came the new Cafe Royal with its astoundingly loud performances for the straight community- that part of which didn't wish to sleep-.as if straight people didn't have their own venues in 95% of Pattaya.

By the way, Funny Boys managed to be one of the most successful go go bars in gay Pattaya . One of the reasons IMHO, was that punters could talk to their friends . And hear the response.

Nirish guy
June 26th, 2020, 21:43
One of the reasons IMHO, was that punters could talk to their friends . And hear the response.

Although you do have to wonder just how little volume is required to enable you to hear the customary "What your name, where you from, how long you stay Thailand conversation" and the farang reply usually being somewhere in the region of "do you kiss, can I fuck you / you me?

I've often thought to save precious time when on holiday both parties should perhaps transcribe their various proforma questions on to pieces of paper and then just hand over the various bits of paper at the required time, would be much more efficient than the current practice and would do away with the need to reduce the volume in bars too all in one go ! :)

gerefan2
June 26th, 2020, 23:15
I've often thought to save precious time when on holiday both parties should perhaps transcribe their various proforma questions on to pieces of paper )

Err like this...?

A 1000 baht piece of paper....blow job...short time
A 1500 baht piece of paper...fuck...long time

gerefan2
June 26th, 2020, 23:20
By the way, Funny Boys managed to be one of the most successful go go bars in gay Pattaya . One of the reasons IMHO, was that punters could talk to their friends . And hear the response.

Also a lot to do with Rose. Bless.

Oliver2
June 27th, 2020, 14:30
And his squeaky- clean toilets.....

goji
June 27th, 2020, 17:00
And his squeaky- clean toilets.....

And a fantastic selection of boys. At times, I'm sure they must have had about 50, of which at least a dozen or so were what I considered to be very cute.

Marc K
June 28th, 2020, 04:01
Also a lot to do with Rose. Bless.

I do miss Rose! Does anybody know what happened to her after Funny Boys closed? She was the only mamasan I ever met who had some semblance of a heart.

Oh yes there was also the mamasan from Midnight Cowboy (in Saphan Kwai, Bangkok) but wow now I am really dating myself I fear. : )

gerefan2
June 28th, 2020, 08:37
I do miss Rose! Does anybody know what happened to her after Funny Boys closed? She was the only mamasan I ever met who had some semblance of a heart.
: )

She actually left a few years before Funny Boys closed. As far as I know she went to work In Korea.

I believe it was a result of her departure that Funny Boys later folded.

aussie_
July 9th, 2020, 17:15
The mighty erection is progressing when the weather allows.

catawampuscat
July 9th, 2020, 18:33
After Korea, Rose reportedly working in Phuket as per a boy with good English. Reports of Rose transitioning to female in Korea disavowed
by same boy.

Kenny
July 9th, 2020, 18:36
The mighty erection is progressing when the weather allows.

Thanks for that Aussie.
I heard the roofing material is to be metal sheeting and not glass as was thought at first.

goji
July 9th, 2020, 22:30
Thanks for that Aussie.
I heard the roofing material is to be metal sheeting and not glass as was thought at first.

I confidently predict metal sheeting.
Rather than being like the Berlin Reichstag, or the Milan Galeria, note the similarities of the framework to the second photo.

a447
July 9th, 2020, 23:27
Imagine the noise during a downpour!

Brad the Impala
July 10th, 2020, 00:25
Agree that with the cross supports looking very similar it looks like Jomtien is heading towards the second photo and is being turned into a cheap warehouse!

The only upside is the ability to walk between bars when it's raining. Given the availability of handsome young men with umbrellas I can't see the need!

Among the downsides are that one of the attractions of Jomtien was the open air element. Apart from the noise that rain on the roof will create in a downpour, the noise level at all times will be exponentially increased as the noise will be contained and bounce back from the roof, causing people to talk louder, to be heard, causing.......

Perhaps we can look forward to the hydraulics being installed shortly, so that the roof can open and close and will only be closed as needed, like Wimbledon. Dream on!

gerefan2
July 10th, 2020, 00:38
as the noise will be contained and bounce back from the roof, causing people to talk louder, to be heard, causing.......

Just wait until a bar wants a birthday party with those humongous speakers....just wait.

arsenal
July 10th, 2020, 08:54
I still can't see the perceived benefit of this monstrosity.

dinagam
July 10th, 2020, 10:57
I have a strange feeling about night market stalls being allowed to carry out their business under the canopy just like the Patpong 1 in Bangkok. The boys will have to solicit from the terraces to get potential customers indoors.

a447
July 10th, 2020, 11:38
I have a strange feeling about night market stalls being allowed to carry out their business under the canopy just like the Patpong 1 in Bangkok. The boys will have to solicit from the terraces to get potential customers indoors.

That's exactly what I was thinking - they'll be setting up market stalls under the canopy.

arsenal
July 10th, 2020, 11:51
Well let's hope they sell stuff that people want to buy. Like bats. Yummy.

goji
July 10th, 2020, 21:52

Unfortunately, I think you might be right.
Generally in Thailand, if revenue can be raised by renting out space to scruffy stalls, it happens sooner or later. Even if they lower the tone of the place. e.g. Silom Complex, Central Pattaya etc.

Someone is planning to get a return on the capital for that roof. So that's either by higher rents or higher occupancy.

arsenal
July 11th, 2020, 17:30
The rents paid are pretty up there at 40000 plus baht a month.

Now we will all he able to enjoy sitting in a giant garden shed.

This night bazaar. Open when? How often? Selling what? Who to? Stalls go where?

They do have a fabulous food and stuff market next to the beach down in Bang Saray but it's only once a month, not everyday.

Marc K
July 12th, 2020, 07:44
http://www.goingtovegas.com/images/blog/freemont-map.jpg

Another example of a canopy is the one covering Fremont Street in downtown Las Vegas. It has a lightshow going on most of the time after dark. It did liven up downtown LV so it could compete better with "the strip" there. My imagination runs wild thinking about what they could project up there on the JC canopy! :yahoo_mini: Oh we can all dream, right?

Up2U
July 12th, 2020, 20:46
I still can't see the perceived benefit of this monstrosity.

The benefits are noise reduction, shelter during rain, more room for tables and chairs even on rainy nights. Don't underestimate the pressure of the surrounding residences in doing something about the noise pollution coming from this Soi.

arsenal
July 13th, 2020, 09:42
Up2U wrote.
"The benefits are noise reduction, shelter during rain, more room for tables and chairs even on rainy nights. Don't underestimate the pressure of the surrounding residences in doing something about the noise pollution coming from this Soi."

Maybe you're right. A selection of food stalls plus some of those pop-up bars dotted about might be very nice and they can attract the freewheelin' freestyle freelancers and seem to stay open all night. Yes. We might find we like this roof after all.

Marsilius
July 16th, 2020, 13:25
The newest editon of the Yupins restaurant newsletter includes a photograph of its own. In the following paragraph, the author offers the business's view - and doesn't seem too downcast:

In this photo you can also see the skeleton of the ROOF that Jomtien Complex management are having erected over the whole Soi. It is the biggest erection this soi has ever seen. The curved steel supports across the Soi are in place and the steel running the length of the Soi is also in place. Next will come the steel sheets to cover the whole thing. Support for the idea seems divided, some think it will make the Soi very dark and hot, but as they are all open at night it might not matter. And of course some are happy because the tables and chairs can stay outside all day without worrying about the rain, which is only four months a year. I think the plan may be to string lights, lanterns and decorations from the roof to add to the charm of the whole place. It would seem a good opportunity to do that. And I think I will put maybe four tables and chairs outside too, some do like to sit outside, that would be good. What do you think?

Marsilius
July 16th, 2020, 13:30

Oh yes there was also the mamasan from Midnight Cowboy (in Saphan Kwai, Bangkok) but wow now I am really dating myself I fear. : )

The Midnight Cowboy mamasan of the early/mid 1990s was Camilla. She was originally from the UK and lived in a nearby apartment where, after she left MC, she taught English.

a447
July 16th, 2020, 14:42
It is the biggest erection this soi has ever seen.

That may be debatable!

Marsilius
July 16th, 2020, 14:46
The drone (?) photograph posted on the Yupins newsletter shows the current state of the work (and a new sign to the restaurant!)...

Dodger
July 16th, 2020, 20:38
I pity any condo owners in the area that enjoy watching the early evening
street scenery from their balconies above the bars...

Exactly what I was thinking.

I lived in one of those upper level units for a year once and loved the view from the balcony.

I'm still not sure what the objective is with the new monster roof, and can see why the bar owners didn't want it. The ONLY advantage I can see is to block the rain - but it will be like sitting inside John Entwistle's bass drum when it rains hard regardless of what material they use for the roof covering.

I

Brad the Impala
July 16th, 2020, 23:22
but it will be like sitting inside John Entwistle's bass drum when it rains hard regardless of what material they use for the roof covering.

Without any breeze or air circulation it will be as hot and sweaty as being inside James Brown's jock strap the rest of the time!

Marc K
July 18th, 2020, 10:22
I do like the idea of eating al fresco at Yupins. It would be nice. However, during the hot season it might get unbearable inside that enclosure as I don't see any provision for venting the hot air (hot air rises remember) at the roof. I guess we'll have to wait to see the final design once completed. From the drone pic it looks like the roof extends all the way to, and perhaps past. The Venue. If this is the case, it would impede the usual cool breeze from mercifully gently lilting down the soi. Hopefully the roof will be allowed to breathe.

sglad
July 22nd, 2020, 02:37
The Midnight Cowboy mamasan of the early/mid 1990s was Camilla. She was originally from the UK and lived in a nearby apartment where, after she left MC, she taught English.

Wow, from mamasan to English teacher to the Duchess of Cornwall. Talk about social climbing!

aussie_
August 8th, 2020, 19:57
The roof is steel. Work in progress.

Zebedee
August 8th, 2020, 20:01
Thanks Aussie
I have a mighty one myself just thinking about the place!

gerefan2
August 8th, 2020, 21:50
I hope we dont find all those pesky expats entombed and mummified in there when we tourists return ....

Brad the Impala
August 8th, 2020, 21:52
If the locals don’t get their rice cakes we may find the expats suspended from the girders.

a447
August 8th, 2020, 23:19
"Build it and they will come."

Is that the idea?

goji
August 9th, 2020, 02:28
"Build it and they will come."
Is that the idea?

Open the borders and they will come.

Marc K
August 9th, 2020, 03:31
Steel, are they kidding? My god that thing is going to be hot. We will all roast inside there. Few (if any?) places have AC (thank you, Yupins!) so it is going to be miserably hot inside there I fear.

goji
August 9th, 2020, 15:34
Steel, are they kidding? My god that thing is going to be hot. We will all roast inside there. Few (if any?) places have AC (thank you, Yupins!) so it is going to be miserably hot inside there I fear.

Thailand has many such constructions. I posted an example of one earlier, when suggesting it's going to be steel.

This will keep the sun off during the day, so making it more comfortable then, when, of course no one visits. Less solar heat will go into the concrete, so it should reduce temperatures in early evening.
The roof is probably high enough for all the hot air generated by punters to rise and escape out of the ends. Current photos also show no flat steel, so it's possible the sides will be left uncovered, therefore providing more ventilation.

aussie_
August 9th, 2020, 16:44
Today's work on the roof. I could feel the heat as I walked underneath the roof. Hopefully the sides will be left open for ventilation.

colmx
August 9th, 2020, 21:04
Thanks for the pics Aussie
Have you (or anyone else) been there at night since the roof went on?
Curious to know if it has made a difference to the atmosphere (in terms of heat, oxygen and fun!) at night?
And what do the boys and bar owners think?

aussie_
August 10th, 2020, 10:26
Thanks for the pics Aussie
Have you (or anyone else) been there at night since the roof went on?
Curious to know if it has made a difference to the atmosphere (in terms of heat, oxygen and fun!) at night?
And what do the boys and bar owners think?

I had a few drinks at various bars in the Complex last night. It was not a hot night and no rain so the roof made no difference to anything that I could notice. Sun bar and QM2.0 were a lot of fun with many staff and customers enjoying their Sunday night out and I stopped at Cocka2 bar for a nightcap on the way home. The music was loud at Sun Bar and the roof did not seem to effect the sound at all. The underneath of the roof looks like it has a silver foil coating which may be for insulation or corrosion prevention.

No bar owner that I have talked to have said that they like the roof but they have accepted it. The boys don't seem to care about the roof and it is business as usual for them.

The roof is only half completed so it's effect on heat/oxygen will be better evaluated later in the week and depends on whether they keep the sides open for ventilation. One bar owner suggested there may be fans attached to the roof and some lighting when it is completed.

goji
August 10th, 2020, 14:21
The underneath of the roof looks like it has a silver foil coating which may be for insulation or corrosion prevention.
Where I have seen this elsewhere in Thailand, there's a very thin layer of some kind of insulating foam and a foil coating, clearly for insulation. Might just have a minimal damping effect on rain noise too.

As currently constructed, this is going to have a minimal effect on heat retention and will actually reduce the solar heating of the concrete during the day, so I expect slightly lower temperatures in early evening. Although you would probably need to measure it to tell the difference.

Nirish guy
August 10th, 2020, 16:23
“Although you would probably need to measure it to tell the difference.”

Typical ! The one time we need Christian to be in Pattaya to carry out the above suitable calibrated and detailed measurements and he’s stuck in German - I mean come ON Christian, you had ONE job to do and you’re not even there to do it !!! Very shoddy !! :-)

francois
August 11th, 2020, 13:07
The covering in Jomtien Complex is essentially complete. It looks just find and I didn't notice any adverse effects. People I spoke with thought it to be a good idea most especially when there is rain.

gerefan2
August 11th, 2020, 22:14
Is who paid for it and why?

francois
August 12th, 2020, 12:25
I thought it was a bit like walking through a cathedral with the worshippers and devotees congreating below the dome paying homage to the gods of Love, Lust and Bacchus.:devilsh:

a447
August 12th, 2020, 13:07
I thought it was a bit like walking through a cathedral with the worshippers and devotees congreating below the dome paying homage to the gods of Love, Lust and Bacchus.:devilsh:

Were many guys down on their knees?

Zebedee
August 12th, 2020, 13:14

If so their prayers were answered!

Nirish guy
August 12th, 2020, 16:13

Perhaps we should all crowdfund a statue of our patron Saint Saint Sebastian to be placed at the end of "our" cathedral so we could have the boys get down on their knees in front of him for us ? :)

https://www.dailyartmagazine.com/st-sebastian-gay-icon/

goji
August 12th, 2020, 18:09
Who is paying for this?

My guess is the landlords.
Around the world, it's fairly common for landlords to invest in their property in order to maintain rents, allow increased rents or allow rental to additional businesses.
So on retail parks, we might see a drive in McD/KFC/Starbucks, as it's an additional unit to rent out and drives more customers to the park.
We see refits of shopping centres to maintain a modern image. So something like Silom Complex got a major refit and thrives, whilst places like Mikes Pattaya or Central Chiang Mai have been left behind.

In the Jomtien case, I guess they think this will allow higher rents, maybe due to more seating and more sustained business when it's raining ?
Or less desirable, perhaps they think they can squeeze some food stalls in there? Difficult to see that.
If it's to keep the nightlife out of sight and attenuate the noise, perhaps they can earn more on rental of the upper floors and other surrounding buildings ? (In which case, I guess they need to close the sides off more effectively)

Or to put it another way, how else can they earn a return on the capital?

francois
August 12th, 2020, 18:18

I do believe that type of worshipping takes place in their
sanctum sanctorum.

a447
August 12th, 2020, 18:53
I do believe that type of worshipping takes place in their
sanctum sanctorum.

I'm very familiar with the inner sanctums of many of the guys!

colmx
August 12th, 2020, 23:18
In the Jomtien case, I guess they think this will allow higher rents, maybe due to more seating and more sustained business when it's raining ?

My understanding is that the bars already pay extra for the on street seating, I seem to remember a cost of 12,000 per month being the going rate for roadside in front of the 2 shophouse unit where GAY was (very shortly) located. Similarly all the others pay a fee for permission to encroach onto the road

Manforallseasons
August 12th, 2020, 23:25
I'm very familiar with the inner sanctums of many of the guys!

Remembering a few of your candid trip reports isn’t it the other way around? :D

aussie_
August 13th, 2020, 10:36
The photos were taken at 7.30am today. Half of the sides and the front were filled in on previous days. A friend said M2M, Big Kiss and Lucky Boys still were hit with the heavy rain on Tuesday night as the roof stops at the Thrappaya Road end of M2M. I was not there so I am not sure how noisey the rain was on the roof.

a447
August 13th, 2020, 15:47
Remembering a few of your candid trip reports isn’t it the other way around? :D

Not really.

Like Nirish, I do everything!

gerefan2
August 13th, 2020, 15:49
Looks better here ...

arsenal
August 13th, 2020, 17:25
The train to Paradise upon Sea is now leaving from platform 69.

gerefan2
August 13th, 2020, 17:56
The train to Paradise upon Sea is now leaving from platform 69.

Is that the chuk wow choo choo?

Nirish guy
August 13th, 2020, 18:26
Is that the chuk wow choo choo?

Ha ha maybe thats not a bad idea actually - as considering how we're all getting on in years ( and might be ten years older by the time we get back to Pattaya ! perhaps Pattaya City Hall might consider putting on a "Chuk Wow Cho Choo Express" service for us !! :)

It could whisk us all on our evening rounds ( from dedicated gay train stops at the entrance to each location of course) from Boystown via Sunny P to Jomiten and back again on a continuous circular route, then if one place is quiet it's simply a matter or jumping back on the "Blow Job Billy Train" ( it seems I've already even named it !) and moving on to the next venue !!

Ha aside from the fact there's not enough of us to warrant ( or want ) that considering the annoying police checks on seemingly every corner now THAT actually isn't a bad idea to aid a nights effortless boy and bar crawling - What - he must be one lazy fucker .... who Moi...!? ! lol

arsenal
August 13th, 2020, 18:34
Gerefan2 wrote.
"Is that the chuk wow choo choo?"

Nah. It's the Orient Sexpress.

newalaan2
September 1st, 2020, 04:44
The photos were taken at 7.30am today. Half of the sides and the front were filled in on previous days. A friend said M2M, Big Kiss and Lucky Boys still were hit with the heavy rain on Tuesday night as the roof stops at the Thrappaya Road end of M2M. I was not there so I am not sure how noisey the rain was on the roof.

Thanks for the updates and pics aussie, always much appreciated. I'm not sure what to make of this Mighty Erection.....good, bad or irrelevant? Certainly any time I've been in the Complex when raining we've just moved further inside of the outside open bars, although it will save all the panic moving of the street side tables/chairs when it does threaten.

So what about the music noise levels and wind tunnel effect? Anybody experienced either?

With regards to rain, two of the months I tend to visit, June and October usually have rainy days at some point and what I have always found when visiting on rainy nights is if the rain starts early 7-9pm many customers simply don't bother to go out at all. So it will be interesting to see if the bars are still busy on rainy nights with the Complex roof. It's always puzzled me as to why a drop of rain puts off so many, I just head off with brolly and unless its monsoon heavy where the roads are deep i get to the bars dry. If it starts after I go out I've yet to find a bar which does not have a selection of umbrellas to offer. Often there's a couple I've left behind on previous visits in some bars. There is no way I am travelling to the other side of the world on a time restricted trip to avoid going out because of a drop of rain. So if it still attracts customers to go out on rainy nights that would be a plus. When bar hopping I rarely stay in one bar for more than 2 drinks as I like to get around as many as possible, so I suppose the roof will also make life easier hopping from bar to bar/show-bar in the Complex. It's impossible to know if it affects the atmosphere of the Complex until I experience it for myself. But as stated in other posts at least it shows somebody is willing to invest in the future of the place against the current negatives.

I always tend to have the bulk of my Pattaya stay in South Pattaya at Mosaik, (and previously Flamingo Hotel) and while I normally have a few days in either East Suites or The Venue in the Complex at the start of trips I might have to consider what will be left of the bars in Sunee and Bt versus the upward trend of Jomtien Complex with so many bars in the same area and start having the longer duration of a trip in the Complex, roof and all.

Getting to Sinlapin-Issan later in the evening from there when raining is a just matter of private Song Taew or grab. When heavy raining on previous trips in Sunee a couple of the Double Shot waiters have driven us to Sinlapin as has Yo from Euro Boys who is usually parked in the spare ground behind Rainbow Bar and now that Double Shot is located in Jomtien we might just get lucky in future. Although never mind planning to get to Sinlapin, getting to Thailand at all remains somewhat elusive!

goji
September 1st, 2020, 06:01
Looks better here ...

More like a farm shed than a candidate for an architecture prize. Although, to be fair, one's attention is unlikely to be on the structure above when visiting Jomtien complex.

arsenal
September 1st, 2020, 09:18
My big fear with this was that the bars would be forced to close on the dot of 1.00am so that night market stalls could be set up.

However that fear has subsided somewhat with the arrival of DD. It has a reputation for late hours.

francois
September 1st, 2020, 16:31
Thanks for the updates and pics aussie, always much appreciated. I'm not sure what to make of this Mighty Erection.....good, bad or irrelevant?

Irrelevant is the answer. I have noticed no bad effects of the canopy.
And it does protect from the rain.

latintopxxx
September 1st, 2020, 16:49
...so its a success...??

goji
September 1st, 2020, 17:10
...so its a success...??
As long as they don't stuff the space full of market stalls or something else equally naff, it has to be a success.
Will keep the rain off.
Should reduce temperatures in early evening, due to less solar heating of the concrete.

Kenny
September 1st, 2020, 17:22

This photo was sent to me from a friend in the Complex. It is taken from Question Mark Bar looking in the direction of The Venue.

It provides two points of interest:
1. The Mighty Erection is to be seen in its night time raiment.
2. The place looks sadly empty.

I left in July when I returned home for work reasons after more than four months dodging the lockdown in Thailand.
When I was leaving I said to my favourite friendly bar owner that I hoped to be back in time for Christmas...2021!
I meant it as a joke but now I fear it may have been prophetic.
Many thanks to Aussie for updating the thread after I left and for bringing the Mighty Erection to a climax.

Nirish guy
September 2nd, 2020, 18:12
They / the bars should mount and shine several multicoloured ( rainbow themed ) powercan / theatre style lights down the length and across the span of that roof ! It would cost very little in the bigger scheme of the project and would be more or less a one time investment but one that would last a long time. It would also create a lovely "rainbow" atmosphere right up and down the entire Soi which would bring a bit of life to the place when required and would also help to reinforce the gay "brand" of the whole Soi. If they also fitted a simple and cheap light controller unit they could have the entire roof flash/ illuminate and darken in time to music when desired which would also help then / the bars put on one hell of a show at any big party times as they wanted !

Marsilius
September 11th, 2020, 19:09
The latest edition of the Yupins newsletter adds a few more images of the new structure - as well as of a locally-posted Covid warning that, in these depressing times, may raise a rare smile.

Marsilius
October 5th, 2020, 22:40
A new piece of (admittedly pretty basic) technology has been spotted by the author of the latest Yupins newsletter:

"fixed firmly in the middle of this incredible structure are now six new fans that blow the length, up and down, of it, to bring cooling breezes regardless of how hot and steamy it gets. There are three largish electric fans attached to either side of the bridge that spans our Soi doing their good work. It was the humming noise that I noticed at first, and wondered where it was coming from. I looked left and right, across and along, and then up, there they were, the devils, humming away and then I noticed the gentle breeze..."

latintopxxx
October 6th, 2020, 09:05
...and here u all were being so ethically biased doubting the ingenuity of the Thais...u should all hang your heads in shame

dinagam
October 6th, 2020, 09:49
Not good enough until the constant humming is replaced with the gentle rustling of leaves and breaking of sea waves on the beach. This will cost money but will they make the investment?

Midguy1
October 6th, 2020, 13:42
There's some similar set ups with bars under canopies off the Bangla Road in Phuket. It seemed to work well and was a welcome sanctuary from the rain. The only odd thing I found there was all the straight bars under the canopy were fully staffed with what seemed about 10/15 handsome guys standing outside each bar enticing customers in to see the ladies. I digress... but I never did quite work that out!

latintopxxx
October 6th, 2020, 15:10
....maybe they were secret gay bars...only for those in the know..

goji
October 6th, 2020, 19:56
The only odd thing I found there was all the straight bars under the canopy were fully staffed with what seemed about 10/15 handsome guys standing outside each bar enticing customers in to see the ladies. I digress... but I never did quite work that out!
I presume they need some bouncers to remove customers if there is a problem.

Andaman!
October 7th, 2020, 14:09
I presume they need some bouncers to remove customers if there is a problem.

Well happy for 10/15 handsome guys to practice their bouncing on me

mark86
October 8th, 2020, 05:01
Does far cough mean fuck off (fark off)?

latintopxxx
October 8th, 2020, 15:25
...just shoot me....

Marc K
October 11th, 2020, 04:01
Just curious, now that the JC is a more-or-less enclosed space, I assume smoking is now banned there? It would be a great step forward if it has been. Here's hoping!

francois
October 12th, 2020, 01:05
Just curious, now that the JC is a more-or-less enclosed space, I assume smoking is now banned there? It would be a great step forward if it has been. Here's hoping!

No Marc, the smokers keep on smoking, sadly. It really is not an enclosed space, just a roofed over space.

arsenal
October 12th, 2020, 01:18
Enough nonsense about smoking. It's Thailand, not the sanitised elfnsafetygonmad West.

That's why you can go into a bar and have a beer and a boy rather than a packet of pork scratchings.

Jason105
October 12th, 2020, 10:14
If the roof is supposed to protect, then why are there those large openings? Won't they let in the rain?

gerefan2
October 12th, 2020, 10:31
Aren’t they plastic panels to let the light in?

Marc K
October 13th, 2020, 02:11
Aren’t they plastic panels to let the light in?

... and the disgusting, carcinogenic smoke OUT?

arsenal
October 13th, 2020, 02:31
Evil smoke. I cast thee a yonder from this, thine chaste temple of purity and spiritual righteousness.

Marc K
October 13th, 2020, 09:56
Evil smoke. I cast thee a yonder from this, thine chaste temple of purity and spiritual righteousness...

... and the cause of an estimated 90% of the cases of lung cancer in men (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4080902/)in the world.

aussie_
October 17th, 2020, 15:19
The rain pelted down on the Jomtiem Complex erection about midnight last night. The thundering noise of the rain on the roof nearly but not quite drowned out the noise of the music from ? bar where a waterfall had developed and was running down the walls and across the soi.

Andaman!
October 17th, 2020, 16:43
The rain pelted down on the Jomtiem Complex erection about midnight last night. The thundering noise of the rain on the roof nearly but not quite drowned out the noise of the music from ? bar where a waterfall had developed and was running down the walls and across the soi.

Isn’t that what most people here are looking for - a torrent from a mighty erection?

arsenal
October 17th, 2020, 20:48
" a waterfall had developed and was running down the walls and across the soi."

Let's hope it put out all the evil cigarettes being smoked.