PDA

View Full Version : Thailand Mulls Over Reopening May Put Hold On Brits

Manforallseasons
May 31st, 2020, 23:08
https://pattayaone.news/thailand-to-reopen-to-tourists-in-july-but-brits-may-be-banned/

gerefan2
June 1st, 2020, 01:23
Not a problem.

I don’t think there are any of us now planning to come to Thailand in July. Airlines haven’t even started and nobody would want to pay good money until we know EVERYTHING is back to normal.

The big worry will be later in the year for high season. Hopefully, even the UK will be over the worst by then...maybe

BOY69
June 1st, 2020, 04:10
Even if Thailand start opening its borders I doubt tourists will jump on the first available flight to BKK if vaccination or medication for the virus won't be available most will prefer to stay home.

dab69
June 1st, 2020, 09:00
...most will prefer to stay home where people are dropping like flies!

goji
June 1st, 2020, 16:02
From my interpretation, Thailand is likely to reopen tourism to countries with a low incidence rate of Covid.

I presume the author of the article mentioned excluding Brits as he has some particular interest (e.g. he might be one of us).

Reopening tourism to countries with a low incidence rate of Covid is an obvious move. It's just common sense. Thailand needs the tourism revenue and if they allow people in from countries with low infection rates, the risk is minimal. For example, Taiwan, South Korea, Australia & China (if they trust the figures).

For now, it would make sense to exclude parts of Europe, North & South America.

However, IF current trends continue, by the time some of us want to travel to Thailand, the list of permitted countries should increase significantly. That's because of declining covid infection rates & probable subdued tourism demand from the first group of countries where Thailand does permit inbound travel.
Whilst there will be pent up tourism demand amongst some of us, overall I think it will take a little time for travel to recover to earlier levels. Partly down to fear and partly down to Covid restrictions.

latintopxxx
June 1st, 2020, 17:47
..pent up tourism demand...ol...is that an euphanism??

gerefan2
June 1st, 2020, 17:55
I presume the author of the article mentioned excluding Brits as he has some particular interest (e.g. he might be one of us).

More likely the appalling Pattaya News ....just another red top. So treat the comment with caution.

arsenal
June 1st, 2020, 18:33
There's still the problem of the insurance requirement coupled with every insurance company refusing to insure against the virus.

Nirish guy
June 1st, 2020, 20:14
That’s a good point, how is that going to play out if and when Thai authorities ( and many other Countries) INSIST you now have full travel / medical insurance cover before they’ll admit you.

BUT on the other hand no issuer it seems is going to include Covid cover in their policies. So, if that’s the case who’s going to blink first there and give in on that point I wonder ?

Or will we simply perhaps be required to state that we’ll all personally underwrite all and any possible medical bills Re that ourselves and perhaps have to provide proof of means that would enable us to do so up to a set amount perhaps - and more importantly IF that were to be the case WOULD YOU sign up for that even !?

As it’s a bit like flying with no insurance now I guess in that it’s all fine and dandy until something serious happens and the next thing you know you’re having to sell your house to cover the possible medical evac flight costs etc possibly required to get you home !

a447
June 1st, 2020, 20:38
I'm really looking forward to going back to LOS but 3 conditions must be met first.

1. the ability to leave and return home. At the moment our state border is closed to travellers, including fellow Aussies. There are still flights bringing Aussies home from overseas but they have to stay in a hotel here for 2 weeks. So even if there were planes flying to overseas destinations (there aren't any) I'd have to endure those 2 weeks of isolation on my return. And in any case, the state premier says he's in no haste to open the borders and that will be the last thing on his list.

2. the ability to get insurance against the virus. As others have pointed out, that isn't going to happen. Maybe something will be worked out if a cure/vaccine is discovered.

3. entertainment venues open on the ground in LOS. The entertainment we enjoyed in the past will return, but in what form? Will it offer an acceptabke alternative to what we had before the virus?

Oliver2
June 1st, 2020, 21:24
I take a more sanguine view, namely that if a447's first point is answered by both governments, indicating that the pandemic is under control, then insurance should be available. FCO advice not to travel to a particular destination is enough reason for insurance to be denied at the moment, of course, but once travel is normalised then this advice should be lifted. I suppose that we can expect increased premiums whatever happens.

Nirish guy
June 1st, 2020, 21:39
Your key words there of course Oliver2 be cover "should be available" - but it's not and my own insurer has made it fairly clear that it wont be being added to policies any time soon at ANY price. I guess an insurer has to have SOME idea of the risks and costs involved to let them even think about generating a cover premium to charge but without that info (yet) they simply aren't in a position to do that and are in no rush to take that chance and so will leave it up to ourselves to negate that risk or not without own money if we go ahead and travel.

its a bit like the whole business interruption (scam) that the insurers have ust gotten away with pulling on just about every business owner who pays them for "Business Interruption Cover". So, Covid hits, business turnover falls off a cliff for most businesses and business IS interrupted. We call our insurers to claim on the special policy we have in our cover for just such a situation, only to be told "ahhh yes you're covered, but only for things listed in your policy ( fire, flood, pestilence and literally just about EVERY other conceivable thing imaginable) BUT we dont cover you if it was Covid that interrupted your business".

What says we, but this is EXACTLY why we have your cover to cover us against unexpected interruption to our business, which their reply is "ahh but we only cover you for things we KNOW about and that we've listed in your policy and you'll see that Covid isn't listed there so that means no, sorry you're not covered for that. But says we, but it COULDN'T have been listed as it didn't even exist 6 months ago when we took out our policies - AHHHH EXACTLY say's them, there you go and THAT is why you're not covered you see !

Total chicken and egg situation and I fear the same situation will end up occurring with travel insurance, at least for now they ARE being specific and telling you straight, you're not covered about ANYTHING to do with Covid full stop. Although I see my insurance has sneakily really made that ANYTHING linked to covid so that even if you're fine and your flight is cancelled etc just as normal just to some government decree that TOUGH, if that was even remotely linked to a Covid situation in any way even your normal flight cancellation cover etc is void too ! A great new way for them to get out of all SORTS of claims in the future I'm guessing.

a447
June 1st, 2020, 22:06
Wouldn't covid19 now be treated as a "known event", therefore relieving the insurance companies of the need to cover it?

Nirish guy
June 1st, 2020, 23:54
Wouldn't covid19 now be treated as a "known event", therefore relieving the insurance companies of the need to cover it?

THAT would be logical and was my comment to the insurers - their answer was it was their choice on what if anything to offer cover on and they were currently declining to offer cover on ANYTHING covid related and as it's not listed in any of their policy documents one would have no reason to think they ARE covered for it - although in fact to avoid doubt they have actually added a paragraph specifically spelling that lack of cover out - now. And as they pointed out their cover ISNT a catch all cover all all and any eventualities as they claim no such cover could exist - silly me eh.

I DO see their point to some degree, but also think it's lightly handy to throw that into the pot now when faced with a deluge of claims of course.

newalaan2
June 2nd, 2020, 00:46
There's still the problem of the insurance requirement coupled with every insurance company refusing to insure against the virus.

That’s a good point, how is that going to play out if and when Thai authorities ( and many other Countries) INSIST you now have full travel / medical insurance cover before they’ll admit you. BUT on the other hand no issuer it seems is going to include Covid cover in their policies. So, if that’s the case who’s going to blink first there and give in on that point I wonder ? Or will we simply perhaps be required to state that we’ll all personally underwrite all and any possible medical bills Re that ourselves and perhaps have to provide proof of means that would enable us to do so up to a set amount perhaps - and more importantly IF that were to be the case WOULD YOU sign up for that even !? As it’s a bit like flying with no insurance now I guess in that it’s all fine and dandy until something serious happens and the next thing you know you’re having to sell your house to cover the possible medical evac flight costs etc possibly required to get you home !

I'm really looking forward to going back to LOS but 3 conditions must be met first. 2. the ability to get insurance against the virus. As others have pointed out, that isn't going to happen.

With regards to 'Travel Insurance' you need to consider exactly what part of the insurance you are referring to and which parts of the insurance are most important for you when travelling. According to my travel insurance provider the 'known event' part really only seems to apply to that part of your insurance where you are not going to be covered for changes/cancellations of flights, accommodation etc delays and costs for having to isolate caused directly by Covid19.

I have already accepted that as far as those parts are concerned I'm fine to take the risk, if there are extra cost due to delays, having to isolate etc I will just accept there will be extra costs. Up to now my 'still reserved' booking with KLM is good to move as much as I like without penalty, hotels, apartments I will book on the basis of no cancellation fee. But the MAIN part of my Travel Insurance for me, is medical treatment, hospitalisation for anything but also due to catching the disease itself, in that case, as I read it, my insurance states "we will continue to cover any medical claims due to coronavirus if you are travelling to an area where no FCO advice against travel exists at the time of travel" under which circumstances (FCO advice against travel) I wouldn't be considering anyway. (If I've read far enough into those hidden T&Cs).

Have others with annual Travel Insurance noticed similar notes from their Insurers?

Nirish guy
June 2nd, 2020, 01:42
=newalaan2;267064Have others with annual Travel Insurance noticed similar notes from their Insurers?

Just checked and my revised policy quote says the following :

“Important Changes to your Policy: From your renewal date, your policy will not cover 1) any claims caused by or relating to Coronavirus (COVID-19), Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (SARS-COV2), any mutation/variation of these, or any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning these viruses (this general exclusion applies to all sections of cover); 2) any claims relating to Third Party Supplier Insolvency and Scheduled Airline Failure (these sections of the policy have been removed.”

So to be the words “will not cover ANY claims caused by ... Covid etc” says it all really and is enough for me perhaps to start looking around to see what else is out there perhaps.

The cover by the way with with Multitrip . Com and was via Alliance I believe and was on of their top bands of cover at a cost of roughly £75-85? a year or so I believe.

Philex
June 2nd, 2020, 01:51
Not a problem.

I don’t think there are any of us now planning to come to Thailand in July. Airlines haven’t even started and nobody would want to pay good money until we know EVERYTHING is back to normal.

The big worry will be later in the year for high season. Hopefully, even the UK will be over the worst by then...maybe

I'm coming back for sure July, and at least FINNAIR will start full scale Asian operations 1 July. Whole corona has been small splash killing only those who had already one leg or both in grave.

gerefan2
June 2nd, 2020, 03:39
I'm coming back for sure July, and at least FINNAIR will start full scale Asian operations 1 July. Whole corona has been small splash killing only those who had already one leg or both in grave.

But...
Will you go in July if you have to do 2 weeks in quarantine?
Will you go if the bars are still closed?
Will you go if the Gogo bars are shut?

It’s not the risk of catching the Virus. They had hardly any of it,compared to Europe. In fact you will have far less chance of getting it than if you remained in Europe.

goji
June 2nd, 2020, 04:23
My insurer (multi-trip) declared Covid as a "known event" back in March, therefore no Covid cover for any NEW trips.

The insurance issue will be sorted one way or the other:

Either:

1 The insurers will start offering cover with some level of covid cover, at a significantly higher price. It shouldn't be too difficult to estimate the covid risk for someone going to Thailand in July & price a policy based on that.

OR:
2 Thailand will have to offer incoming tourists some kind of arrangement. e.g. Pay a fixed fee and get medical cover.

Nirish guy
June 2nd, 2020, 05:29
The insurance issue will be sorted one way or the other:.

Or the third possibility that neither of your two options come to fruition and so we’re left to decide to travel and “risk it” with the clear understanding that of covid treatment / evac flights are needed then that’s something we’ll have to pay for ourselves and if hospitalised our hospital “account” will need to be paid in full before we’re allowed to leave ( either the hospital or the Country) perhaps.

gerefan2
June 2nd, 2020, 06:30
Or the third possibility that neither of your two options come to fruition and so we’re left to decide to travel and “risk it” with the clear understanding that of covid treatment / evac flights .

If you are so ill with Covid that you need to return home, the question of evacuation flights does not apply. No one is going to fly you anywhere.

bkkguy
June 2nd, 2020, 19:40
so the beach in Jomtien is finally open again. A friend of mine who lives in Jomtien went for a stroll there yesterday to check it out and actually met up with someone for some fun, but this morning realised he had crabs, went back to the beach and saw the same guy and complained, the guy replied "You only tipped me 300 Baht - what did you expect, lobster?"

Zebedee
June 2nd, 2020, 20:51
Two excellent jokes ! Thanks bkkguy,for brightening up my pandemic.

I think I'll far cough now.

a447
June 2nd, 2020, 22:42
I think those people over 70 years of age, or with an underlying medical condition, will have no chance of ever being covered by insurance.

colmx
June 3rd, 2020, 00:38
If you are so ill with Covid that you need to return home, the question of evacuation flights does not apply. No one is going to fly you anywhere.

Some good news on the insurance front for the Brits anyway:
https://www.staysure.co.uk/coronavir...vel-insurance/

COVID-19: We are delighted to announce our policies cover Emergency Medical and Repatriation Expenses, if you get infected by COVID-19 whilst abroad; please note that this cover only applies to trips undertaken if the FCO have not advised against all or all but essential travel to your destination prior to your departure.

Unfortunately, no cover will apply under any other section of the policy for cover claims related to any coronavirus (including COVID-19).

So it looks like they cover the medical and repatriation part but not the travel interruptions...I stuck some fake details in and the quote came though as £79 - which is more than acceptable

I think most could pay disruptions out of pocket, its the medical bills or repatriation that would be the killer!
So hopefully it similar cover will trickle over here to Ireland too!

dab69
June 3rd, 2020, 00:56
Wait didn't I read here earlier insurance for Covid was available in TH for a measly 1000bT?

Oliver2
June 3rd, 2020, 16:19
My insurers have confirmed that travel to countries that are not on the FCO's "at risk" list is still covered, including claims for coronavirus. Perhaps if Thailand continues to register no new cases, or a very low number, there is a chance that it will be removed from the list.
And may be by October....

gerefan2
June 4th, 2020, 01:38
Some good news on the insurance front for the Brits anyway:
https://www.staysure.co.uk/coronavir...vel-insurance/

COVID-19: We are delighted to announce our policies cover Emergency Medical and Repatriation Expenses, if you get infected by COVID-19 whilst abroad; please note that this cover only applies to trips undertaken if the FCO have not advised against all or all but essential travel to your destination prior to your departure.

Unfortunately, no cover will apply under any other section of the policy for cover claims related to any coronavirus (including COVID-19).

So it looks like they cover the medical and repatriation part but not the travel interruptions...I stuck some fake details in and the quote came though as £79 - which is more than acceptable

I think most could pay disruptions out of pocket, its the medical bills or repatriation that would be the killer!
So hopefully it similar cover will trickle over here to Ireland too!

Unfortunately the link doesn’t work.

Out of interest FCO travel advice also says no travel to Laos, Cambodia or Vietnam, all of which have had zero deaths. If you believe the figures. So I wonder when they will allow travel (and therefore valid travel insurance) to Thailand?

The majority of flight repatriations are done on standard commercial aircraft. People shouldn’t think they will normally, if ever, be getting an Air Ambulance. The insurance companies do this by changing your existing tickets and arranging for you to get two or three adjacent seats or upgrade to business or first class,if necessary.

If you are so sick you...and presumably on a ventilator... I say again how will they fly you home? Which airline in their right mind will take a passenger with full blown covid19?

An Air Ambulance may be able to cope with the ventilator but will have to stop several times on the way back from Asia. Which countries will allow this? If you are lucky they may arrange for the super expensive long range biz jet to bring you home. Yeah, yeah!

Remember it’s an insurance company you are dealing with ...say no more. We have to live in the real world.

And finally you may actually may be better off staying in Thailand, than say the UK, if you are unfortunate enough to catch this rare (for Thailand) virus.

colmx
June 4th, 2020, 03:40
Unfortunately the link doesn’t work..
No idea what happened the link as it was a straight copy/paste... let me try again:
https://www.staysure.co.uk/coronavirus-travel-insurance/

pong
June 4th, 2020, 17:19
Bad news alltogether for those from that quaint island in the Northsea:
Also still banned from travelling into here, as are the swedes with their peculiair form of coping with corona. Reason are the very bad figures on the disease, so too much a risk of bringing it back in.
Plus that this white-haired BoJo, who survive the disease with help of 2 foreign nurses (so thrown them out of tour own UK!-keep that Brexit alive) has ordered a 2week quarantiane period for Brits returning from the dreaded continent and further away.

gerefan2
June 5th, 2020, 01:25
Bad news alltogether for those from that quaint island in the Northsea:
Also still banned from travelling into here, as are the swedes with their peculiair form of coping with corona..

Is that so? I though every foreigner was banned from Thailand. Am I not right?

aot871
June 5th, 2020, 17:49
I think those people over 70 years of age, or with an underlying medical condition, will have no chance of ever being covered by insurance.

IM 70 , with a pacemaker and staysure , wanted £255 for a 2 week stay

sglad
June 5th, 2020, 23:03
IM 70 , with a pacemaker and staysure , wanted £255 for a 2 week stay

Staysure? Is that a sanitary pad?

sglad
June 5th, 2020, 23:06
Is that so? I though every foreigner was banned from Thailand.

Only the poor ones.

aot871
June 6th, 2020, 04:54
Staysure? Is that a sanitary pad?

Only for those with chinese blood

Smiles
June 6th, 2020, 08:21
Canadians are allowed into Thailand because we are just so bloody polite, using every metric possible.
What can I say?

Khor tose
June 7th, 2020, 03:53
Canadians are allowed into Thailand because we are just so bloody polite, using every metric possible.
What can I say?

Very True--but Portapique, Nova Scotia You are catching "up" to us. So sad.

cdnmatt
June 7th, 2020, 06:33
So I'm assuming this would also mean Americans aren't allowed in for the forseeable future as well?

gerefan2
June 7th, 2020, 10:15
So I'm assuming this would also mean Americans aren't allowed in for the forseeable future as well?

You can’t assume anything. This whole thread is based on an article some journalist write in a cheap red top Paper printed in Pattaya. See the first post.

Do you believe anything you read in a newspaper?

You’ll have to wait until the Thai authorities say something...

Brad the Impala
June 9th, 2020, 15:32
I don't think that the Travel Insurance situation is as bad as some people fear. I have an annual policy and I have just received my renewal note with no change to the policy terms and conditions. I have double checked and Covid is covered, the only stipulation, as previously, is that travel needs to be booked after the FCO have lifted their warning against it. And yes I do have some underlying conditions in addition to being a "fat bald old cunt" as a poster here once described himself.

There is though quite a hike in the premium, 25%. I'd recommend the company, LV, but they aren't accepting new customers currently. Perhaps one for the future.

Oliver2
June 9th, 2020, 16:39
Mine is the same....without the hike.though I suspect that will come when I renew. In my huge lists of worries concerning my return, that one has been relegated to the bottom, particularly now when it seems that the Thais have been successful in limiting the consequences of the pandemic. At least compared to my benighted government.

gerefan2
June 9th, 2020, 21:40
I. I'd recommend the company, LV, but they aren't accepting new customers currently. Perhaps one for the future.

I’m with them. I have a car and a house insured through LV.

I recently made enquiries about travel insurance and got the reply “no new customers”. Wasn’t too impressed.

Andaman!
June 10th, 2020, 05:46
I’m with them. I have a car and a house insured through LV.

I recently made enquiries about travel insurance and got the reply “no new customers”. Wasn’t too impressed.

The problem is LV sold their home and car insurance division to the German insurer Allianz. Since last year Allianz own 100% of the general insurance division of LV. They have kept the LV brand under licence from Liverpool Victoria but since it became a subsidiary of Allianz the premiums have been rising at an outrageous rate.

Up2U
June 10th, 2020, 20:06
The situation is bleak, unfortunately the last sentence to Frank becomes more of a reality as time passes. Like others, it's now problematic I can not go home for Xmas because my return to my home (Pattaya) is too uncertain.

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/pattaya-expats-settle-down-for-the-long-haul-303409

sglad
June 10th, 2020, 23:05
The situation is bleak, unfortunately the last sentence to Frank becomes more of a reality as time passes. Like others, it's now problematic I can not go home for Xmas because my return to my home (Pattaya) is too uncertain.

https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/pattaya-expats-settle-down-for-the-long-haul-303409

Why not give it a few more months before shelving your plans. While it may be a long time yet before the casual tourist from high-Covid-risk countries will be allowed in, I suspect those with long-term visas, for eg retirement, spousal and student visas (for study at legit unis, not fly-by-night language schools) might be allowed in first, subject to health and quarantine requirements upon arrival. Malaysia, for instance, has already allowed foreigners under the Malaysia My Second Home program to return and Singapore is looking to do same with its work permit holders. It will be easier to bring in people who are already in the system back in as most of the background checks have already been done compared to the casual tourist on a two-week holiday. Also, you might not have to wait too long if your country has a green bubble MOU with Thailand once the scheme is implemented.

Up2U
June 11th, 2020, 17:45
Why not give it a few more months before shelving your plans. While it may be a long time yet before the casual tourist from high-Covid-risk countries will be allowed in, I suspect those with long-term visas, for eg retirement, spousal and student visas (for study at legit unis, not fly-by-night language schools) might be allowed in first, subject to health and quarantine requirements upon arrival. Malaysia, for instance, has already allowed foreigners under the Malaysia My Second Home program to return and Singapore is looking to do same with its work permit holders. It will be easier to bring in people who are already in the system back in as most of the background checks have already been done compared to the casual tourist on a two-week holiday. Also, you might not have to wait too long if your country has a green bubble MOU with Thailand once the scheme is implemented.

I plan to purchase my ticket (EVA) in August as always. My home state, California, has an increase of new cases and talk of a second wave, so I am prepared physiologically for the worst case scenario. I have covid-19 health insurance from a Thai company and health insurance for emergencies but if USA is on a restricted list all that is academic.

gerefan2
June 11th, 2020, 22:57
I plan to purchase my ticket (EVA) in August as always. My home state, California, has an increase of new cases and talk of a second wave, so I am prepared physiologically for the worst case scenario. I have covid-19 health insurance from a Thai company and health insurance for emergencies but if USA is on a restricted list all that is academic.

You don’t say when you intend to travel but if it is for the high season, November onwards, why not wait and see how things pan out? You could save yourself the money.

Up2U
June 12th, 2020, 07:59
You don’t say when you intend to travel but if it is for the high season, November onwards, why not wait and see how things pan out? You could save yourself the money.
I travel home for the Xmas holiday in mid-December returning just before the New Year. I hope international flights can resume as normal along with typical airline pricing. I know a Kiwi and a few Aussies and they will be the lucky one's I expect, but as an American I don't like my traveling odds.

Aux1010
June 13th, 2020, 03:43
As a Kiwi I hope so, can't wait to travel again...first stops will be Nice Boys in Pattaya and Toolbox Bar in Phnom Penh!!..but our big problem will more likely be getting BACK into NZ (at least without a further two weeks in quarantine)...

Khor tose
June 13th, 2020, 05:02

Good Luck to both you and California. Hope for the best.........

Oliver2
June 13th, 2020, 14:52
Yes, indeed. Your success would inspire the rest of us.

sglad
June 18th, 2020, 03:23
I travel home for the Xmas holiday in mid-December returning just before the New Year. I hope international flights can resume as normal along with typical airline pricing. I know a Kiwi and a few Aussies and they will be the lucky one's I expect, but as an American I don't like my traveling odds.

It's early days yet, Up2U, and I wouldn't give up hope. I think the odds of those with any form of long-term visa being able to return to Thailand sometime this year are pretty good. In Singapore, we are ready to welcome our international students after the 27th of July. I'm now a mentor for the Thai study abroad program that I was in in 2017 and our students scheduled to start at Thai universities in August 2020, when the Thai academic year traditionally starts, have not been advised otherwise (but it's still wait-and-see for now).

The Thai authorities are not ignorant and they're certainly not without heart. They're well aware that those on marriage and retirement visas have made a huge financial and emotional investment in Thailand. My friend, who's a fellow Singaporean and works here, hasn't seen his Thai wife and one-year-old son in six months and they miss each other terribly. So you're not alone. But this Covid-19 thing is new to everyone and the Thai government, like all other governments, needs to make sure that their citizens and people already in the country are safe and that it will be able to cope with a surge of infections coming from abroad.

So don't despair, Up2U. I understand that Christmas and family reunions are very important to you and a lot of other people. Hopefully you will have better news come September.

bkkguy
June 18th, 2020, 19:04
The Thai authorities are not ignorant and they're certainly not without heart. They're well aware that those on marriage and retirement visas have made a huge financial and emotional investment in Thailand.

not just over the last few months but over the last few years, it has become increasingly difficult to keep convincing oneself of this - though a common response is don't confuse incompetence with intent!

Nirish guy
June 18th, 2020, 19:11
You'd think it wouldn't have been beyond the authorities to allow in husbands and home owners etc, even if they'd imposed a mandatory 2 week quarantine etc that would have been acceptable to most i'm sure rather than be split apart from their wife and child for 6 months, feels very heartless for a Country that prides itself on being so gentle and caring ( at least on the face of it)

cdnmatt
June 18th, 2020, 19:26
I'm sure I seen something come through my inbox from ThaiVisa saying Thailand is going to allow married foreigners back in starting right away here? Can't seem to find it though.

Yeah, this whole KoVid-19 thing is rough on lots of people. I have an Aussie client who lives in both Australia and China, and has a Chinese wife and daughter. They were heading back to China, decided to spend a week in Bangkok back in March, and are still stuck there now without any way to get into China since he's Aussie, and no way to get into Australia right now since wife and kid are Chinese.

He was just biding his time hoping to get back to China soon, then Beijing went into lockdown again just recently, so out the window any hope of that went.
n

arsenal
June 18th, 2020, 19:35
There's a huge concern within the Communist Party of a second wave of the virus.

cdnmatt
June 18th, 2020, 19:46
There's a huge concern within the Communist Party of a second wave of the virus.

A second and more deadly wave isn't so much a concern as it is a 100% guaranteed inevitability. All you have to do is listen to some well respected epidemiologists, then look down at what's going on in the southern hemisphere. South America and Africa are getting absolutely hammered by KoVid-19 right now, which tells you with certainty it's coming back up north once the weather cools off again.

It's just this time it'll most likely come back with a vengeance, simply because there will be more of the virus, since it had ~6 months to replicate and grow while it was hanging out down south.

Sucks for me, as I was really hoping to finally get out of here. After 2.5 years of hard work and sacrifice, finally doing good again, ready to head out, and... Kovid. Who knows, maybe I'll get lucky and be able to sneak into Vientiane end of August before everything goes back into lock down again.

And Trump's holding rallies... what a dip shit.

Nirish guy
June 18th, 2020, 19:49
South America and Afria are getting absolutely hammered by KovVid-19 right now, which tells you with certainty it's coming back up north once the weather cools off again..

?? Why is it colder than the UK and Europe in Africa right now or something, I doubt it ?

cdnmatt
June 18th, 2020, 19:54
I don't know, I'm a software dude, not a doctor. Influenza based viruses are seasonal, which is why the flu season always happens at the same time every year, during the winter. Right now it's winter in the southern hempisphere, hence why they're getting hammered so badly. I guess drones are picking up video of mass graves all over the place in Brazil.

Go Youtube this stuff. It's all over the place with some of the most respected epidemiologists in the world.

If you're in the northern hemisphere, you have until end of Aug or beginning of Sept to enjoy yourself a bit. After that, it's back to strict lockdown for a while. Well, if you want to survive that is. Then hopefully come summer of 2021 we can finally relax, and if we get really lucky maybe KoVid-19 will disappear into the history books.

Just look at what happened with the Spanish Flu. Sping 1918 wasn't too bad, seemed to go away in the summer, then fall 2018 was absolutely devastating. Wouldn't get too comfortable in thinking Kovid-19 is over, because according to epidemilogists, the worst is still yet to come.

arsenal
June 18th, 2020, 20:24
"All you have to do is listen to some well respected epidemiologists,"

Impossible. I don't know any epidemiologists, respected or otherwise. And anyway, I'd rather listen to my primal urges, they're more fun.

Nirish guy
June 18th, 2020, 21:39
A second and more deadly wave isn't so much a concern as it is a 100% guaranteed inevitability....... I don't know, I'm a software dude, not a doctor. .......Right now it's winter in the southern hempisphere, hence why they're getting hammered so badly..

See to me that's why software dudes shouldn't maybe talk about 100% !!! guaranteed ! inevitability ! as you're right, they're not doctors and it only leads to more fear and negativity worldwide perhaps. Re the Southern Hemisphere being colder - London today is 18c, Cape Town is 24c, Mombasa is 28c and Cairo is 31c.....so, I'm guessing it's not THAT much colder than here so I'm also guessing that's not the reason why they're having their flare up, but I wouldn't know - as I'm not a doctor either ;-)

cdnmatt
June 18th, 2020, 21:54
Here, in case you've been living under a rock, this guy knows what he's talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7cIBIT_I70

Brad the Impala
June 18th, 2020, 22:36
For anyone from the UK(and there seem to be one or two here) looking for Travel Insurance, Trailfinders have just announced that their travel insurance policy will cover Covid and will be available from 22nd June. "policy will provide Covid-19 cover for cancellation prior to travel, for curtailment of your trip, and medical expenses whilst overseas".

They have both single trip and annual policies available which are not dependent on also booking your travel through them.

https://www.trailfinders.com/insurance#/step1

sglad
June 19th, 2020, 05:19
You'd think it wouldn't have been beyond the authorities to allow in husbands and home owners etc, even if they'd imposed a mandatory 2 week quarantine etc that would have been acceptable to most i'm sure rather than be split apart from their wife and child for 6 months, feels very heartless for a Country that prides itself on being so gentle and caring ( at least on the face of it)

My friend doesn't find the Thai authorities and the Thai people heartless at all. He understands that this is not only about him and his family but about the bigger issue of public health and safety. Most, if not, all the positive cases in Thailand in the last few weeks have come from overseas and Thailand is not the only country in the region to have secured its borders for this reason.

And no, the two-week quarantine upon arrival wouldn't be acceptable to most working people. My friend, like me, has only 14-days of annual leave and by law we're not entitled to paid compassionate leave. Any compassionate leave entitlement is entirely as the discretion of one's employer as stipulated in the employment contract. Most people will receive two or three days. And don't forget, even if he could leave Singapore and enter Thailand, my friend would still have to stay in quarantine for another two weeks upon his return to Singapore. So that's a month spent in quarantine without factoring in any amount of time he would be able to spend with his family. My friend's work requires him to be on site and working from home is not an option for him. And applying for any kind of unpaid leave is far too great a risk financially and professionally right now.

And I think most Thais can take pride in their caring nature. The self-organised and supported food distribution queues is evidence of this. People have come together (including some foreigners) to help those who have lost their jobs and sources of income as a result of this pandemic. Yes, it's happening even in mercenary Pattaya where some of the longest food distribution queues in the country can be found and many down-and-out farangs can be seen in them. No, the Thais are not turning them away because they are farangs with no money. Quite a few have been given free board by temples and guest houses. There was one story of a broke farang who was given shelter by your lowly, greedy and lazy phone-playing prostitutes (you know the kind some members of this forum love to sneer at). The most touching and inspiring aspect of all this, and yet not so surprising if you understand Thai society, is that the ones coming forward to help and contribute are not the wealthy but the middle and lower-middle classes who don't have much more themselves other than their big hearts.

Nirish guy
June 19th, 2020, 16:24
I fear you've misunderstood my point SG - I was referring to other people / husbands / farang perhaps who had a wife and kids there in Thailand and LIVED with them, not so much your friend who still works in SG as of course he wouldn't be able to nip in and out for the very reasons you describe.

was thinking more long term Thailand living farang with a wife and kids who and had for whatever reason left the Country either for a short or a long time ( not that way !) and who now needed and wanted to return HOME to their wife and kids, in which case a 2 week quarantine would I thought been acceptable - but hang on - was there not such cases very recently where the Thai Government DID allow in people home on repatriation flights ( maybe this was just just for Thais ?) in such cases only after quarantining them - although was there not them cases of infection after that also - which maybe proves why it doesn't work / shouldn't be allowed perhaps I guess ?