PDA

View Full Version : Upset Stomach (etc)

goji
May 14th, 2020, 18:20
My stomach was still a bit upset.

I last encountered an upset stomach (etc) in Thailand about 4 years ago.
It took over a year before the digestive system was fully back to normal, although the many visits per day phase only lasted a few weeks.

Since then, I've taken a probiotic tablet first thing in the morning every day whilst in Thailand. Also, I often take a probiotic yoghurt.
I've not had a problem since adopting that policy, although I should probably give it a few more years before having very high confidence in this experiment.

Nirish guy
May 14th, 2020, 18:32
Funny I too ( as I'm guessing most of us have) have gone through exactly the same situation.

I usually come back with a dodgy tummy or some sort or other for a week or two after my return which is always I assume just a mixture of flying, to much partying, not enough sleep etc etc, but a few years back I picked up "something" that really wrecked my system for about 6 months or more and I just wasn't "right" but after a few doctors visits and various blood tests ( where nothing came up actually) the Doc concluded that it was "obviously" something that I'd picked up in Asia as he sees that quite a lot.

Like you I also ended up trying probiotic yoghurt for several weeks and whether it was coincidence or not ( as apparently they're not meant to actually DO much good in reality ) they did seem to help. Thankfully other trips since have been less invasive and I'm guessing that "whatever" I picked up is now there and inside me and ( the water?) there just doesn't seem to effect me so much - and long may that continue as nothing worst that a 3 week holiday taking 6 months to get over !

BOY69
May 14th, 2020, 21:34
On my more than 20 years trips visiting Thailand I had upset stomach only 2 times which last only few days but not something serious.In general the food in Thailand is fresh and higienic everywhere.

cdnmatt
May 15th, 2020, 01:54
Be careful of the shrimp, or pork that's been out too long to sell.

Smiles
May 15th, 2020, 10:19
For what it's worth (etc.), Cdnmatt often makes me gag.

Living in Thailand for 13 years, I've had the runs only twice (not counting Cdn). Usually gone the next day or so.

dinagam
May 15th, 2020, 11:06
If you associate intimately with bar boys who carry the right and natural probiotics in their system, there will be less need for probiotic tablets or yoghurt, so go for that magic of herd immunity.

goji
May 15th, 2020, 15:16
If you associate intimately with bar boys who carry the right and natural probiotics in their system, there will be less need for probiotic tablets or yoghurt, so go for that magic of herd immunity.

I've been sampling that source of "probiotics" from within a few hours of my first ever arrival in Thailand.
Results after complementing it with tablets etc have been better.

cdnmatt
May 15th, 2020, 15:27
For what it's worth (etc.), Cdnmatt often makes me gag.

Living in Thailand for 13 years, I've had the runs only twice (not counting Cdn). Usually gone the next day or so.

You really need to seek some professional help for your disdain of me. That's really not healthy, Smiles. I don't even have to say anything and you go into a flustered rage.

You've never bought some pork in Thailand from the market, only to get it home and find out on the inside the majority of it is brown and basically spoiled? Doesn't happen often, but definitely happens.

Nirish guy
May 15th, 2020, 18:40
Was there also not a few well known cases ( in Pattaya) of the fish sales people on the street spraying their fish with 'something" ( sorry i cant recall what) but basically something that made the fish and prawns look more fresh and smell less but that was actually proven to be fairly toxic and the fish was in fact several days old !

Hence why I rarely eat fish when in Asia as to me just not worth the risk of ruining a good holiday due to having to spend days in the toilet !

cdnmatt
May 15th, 2020, 22:22
Oh, that is right. Alot of the farmers who sell to the markets and things will not use a government approved presticide on their vegetables for example, and instead will use a cheap black market one which is not government approved. I remember that now.

arsenal
May 15th, 2020, 23:00
Is that better or worse than Austrian wine made with diethylene glycol, British eggs stuffed with salmonella, cows with mad cow disease, cows with foot and mouth, horse meat in everything, French cheese poisoning children, Germany feeding dioxin to pigs and American food standards that allow genetically modified chicken washed in chlorine, many pesticides banned in Europe,rat hair in paprika , droppings allowed in certain foods and maggots in orange juice?

a447
May 15th, 2020, 23:52
Is that better or worse than Austrian wine made with diethylene glycol, British eggs stuffed with salmonella, cows with mad cow disease, cows with foot and mouth, horse meat in everything, French cheese poisoning children, Germany feeding dioxin to pigs and American food standards that allow genetically modified chicken washed in chlorine, many pesticides banned in Europe,rat hair in paprika , droppings allowed in certain foods and maggots in orange juice?

Gawd! How horrible!

I think I'll just stick to Vegemite sandwiches from now on!

Patanawet
May 16th, 2020, 17:53
Probably not relevant but last century when I was a poor young lad I visited my local London East End pub with terrible stomach pains. The lovely typical East End pub landlady started feeding me (free) Port and Brandies. Worked a treat or shroud I say, after a few, I forgot all the pain.

francois
May 17th, 2020, 10:20

Horse meat is quite tasty and popular in Quebec; I can attest to that. And maggots are just a nutritious protein supplement in orange juice. 555

Smiles
May 17th, 2020, 14:32
All of you are quite disgusting, in a nauseating topic.
Where is JellyBean when you need him?

gerefan2
May 17th, 2020, 19:55
He is sick, maybe with an upset stomach?

poshglasgow
May 20th, 2020, 22:45
Gawd! How horrible!

I think I'll just stick to Vegemite sandwiches from now on!

Vegemite or Dynamite sandwiches??

mr giggles
May 21st, 2020, 07:37
Horse meat is quite tasty and popular in Quebec; I can attest to that. And maggots are just a nutritious protein supplement in orange juice. 555

That's quite distasteful Frenchie!

francois
May 21st, 2020, 12:24
Was it not King Richard the Third, by William Shakespeare; the king cries out, “A horse! A horse! My kingdom for a horse steak!” Or something like that?

a447
May 21st, 2020, 17:35
Horse meat is popular in the Netherlands and is eaten raw in Japan as an accompaniment to "sake" rice wine.

So give it a go. (Maybe not raw!)

To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily. Not to dare is to lose oneself.

Nirish guy
May 21st, 2020, 23:16
I once went to a great disco / nightclub / bar called Horsemeat Disco just up the road from the Vauxhall Tavern in London, now that was a fun night :-)

a447
May 21st, 2020, 23:45
I once went to a great disco / nightclub / bar called Horsemeat

Were the patrons well-hung by any chance?

Nirish guy
May 22nd, 2020, 01:29
At least one of them ..... but hey, that’s enough about me ! Lol. ( JOKING !! :-)