PDA

View Full Version : So is anyone availing of the cheap flights to thailand just now then ?

Nirish guy
May 7th, 2020, 00:53
So whilst sitting bored during lockdown I was glancing through skyscanner and there's some nice and cheap prices going on to just now ( also some crazily priced flights too of course by the way).

For instance several from Dublin ( and London) to Bkk in June / July time for around £360-£400, likewise though strangely at the for end of May that's a whopping £1130 ( and I doubt that flight will even take off of course !)

So, is anyone being brave ? enough to press "book" just now in the hope of extending it on out until later ( where I expect they'd ask you to pay the difference in any fare increase anyway when that time comes ?)

colmx
May 7th, 2020, 01:35
I'm not booking anything until I know that there is travel insurance and what the quarantine arrangements will be when I get to Thailand and back home

Although I would guess by the scandalous amount of people travelling on the Belfast->Heathrow route over the last few days that quite a few are taking advantage!

My fear with a rebooking with the likes of Emirates is that they have so many booking classes, they have 14 different classes in Economy alone
So I can see them saying:
"Sorry we are sold out of "B Class" seats on one of the legs of your flights, so you will need to pay the fare difference to full Y class, which will be £719, would you like to pay by Visa or Mastercard?"
In the meantime one of the other carriers is offering flights for £800 so you get stuck with paying the fare difference or abandoning your ticket altogether

Nirish guy
May 7th, 2020, 01:55
Wow, I didn't realise there were that many, must be a nightmare the airport staff trying to remember them all if nothing else as to whether to bother smiling at you or not or give you that extra Gin you asked for depending on how much you paid for your ticket :)

goji
May 7th, 2020, 03:07
I'm not booking anything until I know that there is travel insurance and what the quarantine arrangements will be when I get to Thailand and back home

That's the same approach I have.
1 I need to be allowed into Thailand without spending an excessive proportion of the trip in quarantine.
2 I need travel insurance with medical cover that includes costs of treatment for Covid. Or if I had to pay that myself, an understanding of what the max bill would be.
3 I need to be allowed back home, without an excessive quarantine requirement.

Also, I'm primarily thinking about next winter.

Finally, whatever I do book would be paid for by credit card, just in case the airline goes bust.

Incidentally, I have no worries at all about people flying into the UK at present.
In most cases, they will be flying from countries with similar or lower infection rates, so if they go straight home from the airport and follow the social distancing rules, they would present no higher risk than anyone else.

The times to have restrictions would have been January and February from China. Except the f*ckwits at the WHO were carefully recommending NO SUCH RESTRICTIONS AT THE TIME.

colmx
May 7th, 2020, 03:52
if they go straight home from the airport and follow the social distancing rules, they would present no higher risk than anyone else.

Problem with the AL flight from Belfast to Heathrow on Monday was that there were 150 of 172 seats occupied, so there was no social distancing whatsoever in security, boarding and for the duration of the flight.

I can't understand how we are not allowed to go more than 2kms from our home, but at the same time these 150 people suddenly have essential travel to conduct between Belfast and London

gerefan2
May 7th, 2020, 04:06
I have been looking for flights for my June and November trips from London.
Looks like June is out of the question and non of the airlines which fly direct are taking bookings anyway.

Bookings are available for November, at more or less the same prices as last year, £540 with Eva. I could take a bet on this and gamble that I can go but I don’t want to end up with a ticket and no refund. I don’t want a voucher thanks.

So, like others, I won’t pay until I’m sure everything is more or less back to normal.

latintopxxx
May 7th, 2020, 05:19
...of greater importance....any bargains where MBs are concerned...any 2 for the price of one...or enjoy now and pay later...any promotional specials..

gerefan2
May 7th, 2020, 05:41
And finally will Thailand impose some really onerous restrictions on visitors from the UK in view of our appalling death rate? Also the USA?

arsenal
May 7th, 2020, 08:23
The UK imposed lock down rules very late and then they were lax so more people died. As a nation that's probably the choice the British would have made anyway.

frequentfliers
May 7th, 2020, 09:37
I dont know of any flights to Thailand from Dublin in June.

Moggy
May 7th, 2020, 13:02
Emirates seem to be restarting UK to BKK flights on the 1st of July if your concerned about distancing try Business class its under £2k at the moment.

Oliver2
May 7th, 2020, 13:26
Give it two or three months and I'll be tempted....unless there is a downturn of conditions in in Thailand.

As for the dangers of the flight itself, I frequently wake up the day after the BKK/LHR flight with a cold and so I'm fully aware of the dangers.The truth is, I shall risk it.

Brad the Impala
May 7th, 2020, 15:36
Regarding refunds on cancelled flights, I had flights booked on EVA for April that were cancelled. I was pleasantly surprised to receive 100% refund without equivocation after a couple of weeks. No suggestions of vouchers at all.

Therefore looking to book with them again in November, although the flights aren't much cheaper.

Still waiting for the refund on the internal Thai Airways flights for April............

goji
May 7th, 2020, 16:23
And finally will Thailand impose some really onerous restrictions

I think that depends on the relative rate of infection in the countries at the time when decisions are made.

IF YOU BELIEVE THE FIGURES, right now, of course Thailand would impose restrictions on most European countries and the US, since Thailand has a much lower reported rate of infection.

However, in a few months time, all of the currently infected people in the west will either have probable immunity or be dead. The rate of new infection would most likely be pushed down.

Slightly longer term, western countries MIGHT get a vaccine before Thailand, since many western countries have vaccine development programmes, whilst I've not read about one in Thailand.

Finally, with the 20% of the Thai economy reliant on tourism stopped, there will be a point where Thailand is keen to attract tourists.

christianpfc
May 8th, 2020, 00:40
As much as I would like to be on the first regular flight back into Thailand, I have commitments (from pre-Corona) in Germany until end of July. But I'm very optimistic I can be back begin of August. That will make the longest time (4 months) I have spent out of Thailand in the last 8 years.

But first let's see when Thailand opens for foreigners, and which restrictions (quarantine? health certificate? compulsory health insurance?) are imposed.

At the moment, only Thai nationals and foreigners with a work permit are let in. Everything else, owning a condo, married with children and fitting visa, even Thailand Elite Visa, will not be let in.

pong
May 8th, 2020, 19:44
As much as I would like to be on the first regular flight back into Thailand.
But first let's see when Thailand opens for foreigners, and which restrictions (quarantine? health certificate? compulsory health insurance?) are imposed.

Same for me, as for NtIrish in the start: did the same and for my preferred time (end of the yr, untill Xmas or so), it was even just 333 eur on Swissair-which one can normally never get for less as 500 in the wee slack times. Did not even look at all the conditions re exchange etc. You then have a long flite and not the break up halway on the gulfy airlines.
Have good exp. with Swiss-was on about the last normal flite out of BKK in march, onward late eve conection back home was cancelled and they put me up (all for free) in the Mövenpick HTL (also used by QR airstaff) and then next day it all began-in Swiss and back home.
BTW; here the sexworkers are now loudly complaining, together with the hoteliers, restrtpeople and fitnessschools about all the restrictions-effectively putting them completely out of bisnis. They even were mentioned in the roadpath to normalisation.

goji
May 9th, 2020, 01:54
As much as I would like to be on the first regular flight back into Thailand.

Same for me, as for NtIrish in the start: did the same and for my preferred time (end of the yr, untill Xmas or so), it was even just 333 eur on Swissair-which one can normally never get for less as 500 in the wee slack times. Did not even look at all the conditions re exchange etc. You then have a long flite and not the break up halway on the gulfy airlines.
Have good exp. with Swiss-was on about the last normal flite out of BKK in march, onward late eve conection back home was cancelled and they put me up (all for free) in the Mövenpick HTL (also used by QR airstaff) and then next day it all began-in Swiss and back home.
BTW; here the sexworkers are now loudly complaining, together with the hoteliers, restrtpeople and fitnessschools about all the restrictions-effectively putting them completely out of bisnis. They even were mentioned in the roadpath to normalisation.

Does anyone understand this ?

Moses
May 9th, 2020, 02:03

sure

gerefan2
May 9th, 2020, 02:25
Eventually ...but I had a lot of time on my hands with the Virus!

francois
May 9th, 2020, 22:15

Not really.

Oliver2
May 10th, 2020, 13:47
I understood what Pong was saying.

A forum that needs as many contributors as possible should not discourage participants whose English is not their native language. Just think how informative the views of Thais would be, particularly if they had experience of the commercial scene. From both sides.

goji
May 10th, 2020, 15:57
A forum that needs as many contributors as possible should not discourage participants whose English is not their native language.

I agree about encouraging people.
However, whatever your native language, making a reasonable effort includes TRYING to write people's names properly, using some punctuation, spacing and above all else, NOT mking up yr own uniq set of abbreviations for everyone else to decipher.

christianpfc
May 18th, 2020, 00:00
https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1919220/inbound-flight-ban-extended-to-end-of-june

Inbound flight ban extended to end of June
Government now debating whether emergency decree should also remain beyond May 31

And a more extensive article at:
https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/05/16/thailand-extends-the-ban-on-foreign-passenger-arrivals-until-june-30-2020/

Thailand Extends The Ban On Foreign Passenger Arrivals Until June 30, 2020
Thailand has instituted a ban on all non-citizens arriving in Thailand since March 25 and the authorities have now extended this restriction until at least June 30, 2020.

Just two weeks ago Thailand has extended this restriction until May 31, 2020 so now they racked it up another month which means no foreigners will be able to enter the country even if they hold long term resident visas such as retirement, employment or the Elite visa.

arsenal
May 18th, 2020, 07:40
An interesting piece.

https://pattayaunplugged.com/ten-reasons-why-western-foreign-tourists-are-not-wanted-as-badly-by-the-thai-tourism-ministry-versus-indians-chinese-russians-koreans-etc/

Nirish guy
May 18th, 2020, 15:21
Sounds about right ...... mind you with not SO many farang shitting in the streets or pissing in holy temples I guess it all sort of balances out eventually perhaps.....

Patanawet
May 20th, 2020, 20:48

A forum that needs as many contributors as possible should not discourage participants whose English is not their native language. Just think how informative the views of Thais would be, particularly if they had experience of the commercial scene. From both sides.
My understanding is that a form of English is Pong's native tongue and he sounded it when I met him a few years ago. Sometimes his messages are in perfect English and at other times close to gibberish.

Oliver2
May 20th, 2020, 21:43
Be that as it may- and my recollection of discussions on another gay forum suggest otherwise- but the fact is that to criticise someone's English skills is both rude and damaging to the forum's future.

newalaan2
May 21st, 2020, 03:10
So, is anyone being brave ? enough to press "book" just now in the hope of extending it on out until later ( where I expect they'd ask you to pay the difference in any fare increase anyway when that time comes ?)

Since you ask...…...

I originally had a Thailand booking for April/May arriving just after Songkran. That was cancelled by KLM and 'moved on' by them automatically to June for roughly the same dates. As the weeks passed it became clear June was going to be a no-go, so I just moved the booking along to the next month, July. As it was the original booking number KLM just kept moving it to the dates I requested at no fee for cancelling/moving-on and no fee for fare difference as long it was the same 'fare class' Economy, Prem, Bus etc.. and they guarantee this even if you just decide to postpone before they cancel it.

So that's personally just how I'm going to deal with it. I'll just move the flight as soon as I am sure or the facts support any change to the situation. Just the other day Thai Authorities changed to 'no flights incoming till start of July' and as the first flights incoming are most likely from their Asian 'bubble' neighbours meant July was obviously off the menu, so I just moved the flights to August. With KLM its just a case of a call to their UK number, didn't even have to wait in a Q, took 5 mins to advise my booking number, the new August flight dates and flight numbers I wanted, they made the change and even got me to check emails as we spoke and it was all done and dusted for August.

It just deals with all the huffing and puffing of trying to decide at what point its best to make a stab at going on and committing to book some realistic date in the future and whether there might be a rush for the few spaces available (or not ) or a huge price hike (or not) depending how the airlines approach starting up International travel again. Just moving on the booking as I assess all the options is easiest for me, it means I have a confirmed booking, fixed price and seats booked so I can at least make some other tentative plans based around at least 'something' definite(ish!).

With regards to accommodation, the bookings I had at East-Suites, Jomtien, Mosaik, Ballys Bkk and Tarntawan Apartments I cancelled all at the first flight cancellation and they all just said sorry I had to cancel but please rebook when things change with no costs/fees for cancellations, every one of them said look forward to hearing from you when we are able to travel again. So when the flight I have moved on becomes some kind of a reality I will then confirm the accommodation dates around my month's trip.

Of course apart from just having the booking is all the other stuff I will have to consider along with everybody else. Being welcomed into Thailand from Europe, the conditions attached to that entry, the situation from the foreign office regarding travel advise for Travel Insurance, etc etc. As for the things I do have my own decisions to make regarding the risk I am willing to accept, I will just have to decide how realistic I feel the guarantees from KLM for safe travel, air circulation and replenishment in the cabin, hard surface wipe downs, KLM also have Covid kits for ppe in the cabin and an area in case somebody shows signs of infection to be isolated etc etc and I'll have to consider the same at airports. I will just have to assess as I go. KLM insist on face coverings and I've accepted that I will have to have face covering the bulk of the time I am outwith my own personal area (apartment/room), much of the risk is what I undertake myself to mitigate as I go, quality face coverings, sanitizor social distancing, not allowing other to talk into my face etc..etc..etc.. As well as all the other potential changes/possibilities too many to mention. I'll just get on with it.

But even with all this palava as far as I am concerned it will still be well worth the extra hassle to get there. I've never been dramatic about the journey over all the years I've travelled to Thailand. 16 hours door-door is nothing for me. I sleep, read, relax, listen to music, make plans as I go, I'm not tall or heavy so never have an issue with comfort on flights no matter what seat I'm in.

In the end, as I am willing to take the risk and hassle of the journey, the most important single item (apart from no further serious Covid flare ups) is when Thailand will be willing to accept flights from Europe and the conditions they attach. My feeling is, as we go along the next few weeks and Europe gets on top of the pandemic, negative interest will move to Russia, Brazil, India, Africa, 'somewhere else' that the pandemic hits a hot spot or gets out of control and that's where the interest will move to away from Eurozone.

Good gracious, looking back that 'quick reply' to NIrish's subject question is a bit long! Well haven't posted for a while so that's made up for it.

colmx
May 21st, 2020, 03:23
Loy Kratong Falls on Nov 1st this year, which is the day after Hallowe'en - which is always a good fun around the bars and clubs (if they are open by then!) especially with all the make up artists busy making crazy zombie and monster makeovers!
So last week in Oct, first of November is my current realistic aim...

Nirish guy
May 21st, 2020, 03:59
One point to note guys - and I’m sure many of you are already “on it” - I just got my renewal email from my travel insurance company for my yearly policy, on which they asked me to note they had now removed all / any cover that had ANYTHING to do with Covid related claims, whether that be medical bills or airline failure cover etc.

They did “kindly” agree to extend cover for that for 3 months for me as a “loyal customer” of god knows how many years now with no claims, but basically have now informed me that I won’t be covered for anything Covid related from now on - which actually could well be a bollox if and when Covid flares up again when I’m overseas.

So I’m guessing that this is going to be an insurance industry wide change so do be sure to check your policies to be sure of your cover before travelling perhaps.

arsenal
May 21st, 2020, 05:05
It's going to be difficult to get maximum pleasure out of a boy if he insists on social distancing. Most important issue regarding going to Thailand...is it business as usual with the boys?

gerefan2
May 21st, 2020, 07:13
Most important issue regarding going to Thailand...is it business as usual with the boys?

Actually I think other aspects have to be back to normal.

Hotels and condos have to be open and available. And knowing Thailand they must allow visitors. Visitors may not be allowed at the moment.

Bars and Gogo’s must be open with business as usual. That means checking which ones are still in business. It would be no use going to Pattaya if only a few reopened, unlikely I know. What if your favourite bars/Gogo’s no longer exist?!

And for those into the Apps. Have a really good look before travelling to make sure there is plenty of availability. Also maybe ask what they are prepared to do. See Arsenals comment above.

There must be no quarantine in force if only going for a month or so. Equally no ridiculous requirements such as mandatory Covid travel insurance, unless it is easily obtainable.

In short everything back to normal....it may be a wasted journey otherwise.

arsenal
May 21st, 2020, 07:19
And in fact we only need one simple thing. A worldwide recognised vaccine.

latintopxxx
May 21st, 2020, 12:49
or an effective treatment regime/cure like is available for most ailments...

Oliver2
May 21st, 2020, 13:15
Not for MERS, nor for SARS....which are similar. I fear that we must wait until Doctor Trump comes up with another idea.
Meanwhile, I too am waiting with baited breath for any news that makes my proposed October/ November trip a little more likely.
This is my longest separation from P in nearly eighteen years. It hurts.

a447
May 21st, 2020, 17:23
It's going to be difficult to get maximum pleasure out of a boy if he insists on social distancing.

I think quite a few guys would be more than happy to socially distance from their clients! Lol

bkkguy
May 21st, 2020, 19:57
Meanwhile, I too am waiting with baited breath for any news that makes my proposed October/ November trip a little more likely.

I am sure the Merchant of Venice is turning in his grave for the eggcorn state of your breath, but given your separation pain I suppose I should be trying to bate my enthusiasm for baiting posts like this!

Manforallseasons
May 21st, 2020, 21:13
Bars and Gogo’s must be open with business as usual. That means checking which ones are still in business. It would be no use going to Pattaya if only a few reopened, unlikely I know. What if your favourite bars/Gogo’s no longer exist?

Only the bars that are able to weather the financial storm will survive and the GoGo bars left standing will likely open in some form only after the outside bars are allowed to open.

dab69
May 28th, 2020, 09:35

Sexworkers where ? Just curious...
Got my attention. :)
bet they're expensive

francois
May 28th, 2020, 12:55
Sexworkers available on the apps. Make them an offer they can't refuse.

Nirish guy
May 28th, 2020, 16:42
Sexworkers available on the apps. Make them an offer they can't refuse.

As they ARE sexworkers surely its not so much a case of "making an offer" but rather "asking their price" - and GOD FORBID surely you're not suggesting it's ok to try and "haggle" their quoted price down to a lower figure - I thought that was frowned on in here ! :)

francois
May 28th, 2020, 18:33
As they ARE sexworkers surely its not so much a case of "making an offer" but rather "asking their price" - and GOD FORBID surely you're not suggesting it's ok to try and "haggle" their quoted price down to a lower figure - I thought that was frowned on in here ! :)

I said make them an offer they can't refuse, not an offer they can refuse.

BOY69
May 28th, 2020, 23:21
In this hard times I doubt they will refuse any offer ...

Nirish guy
May 29th, 2020, 00:39
Oh for god sake don’t go THERE !!!! Lol

latintopxxx
May 29th, 2020, 05:19
...oh please do...

Nirish guy
June 6th, 2020, 21:49
Just while we're on the subject of flights ( and flight cancellations in this case) - I had a few PM's a while back asked had I recieved my money back for my cancelled Emirates flight yet - so, just in case it's or any use / interest to anyone else here's where that's STILL at with Emirates and myself - so, I cancelled my flights on the 7th of March, using all the necessary forms on their website, I also had to submit separate cancellation forms to cover the additional seat bookings that I'd made. Emirates emailed confirmation back confirmation receipt of same and saying it would take 90 days to process. I waited and on the 10th May I received 50 Euro back into my bank account ( for the seats), so I assumed all was in order and the main flight fee would follow so I gave them some time for that.

It didn't arrive and so I've just called them and they said "Ahhh I see your ticket and it's still open and we'd of sent you an email offering either a refund to to keep your ticket open and as you didn't reply we kept it open", I told them that a) no email was received and anyway I'd already made my instructions clear in requesting a full refund not any transfer option and they had already acknowledged that fact.

She then told me "ok so you want a refund, no problem, you'll need to fill our the various forms (again) and resubmit - to which she was told NO, I've already done so once and wont be doing that all again ( as it was a pain in the ass the first time even) - so she then agreed to resubmit it at her end ( a few clicks of a button to her apparently) and has just told me "that's all processed now and you should hear from us within ANOTHER 90 days) - so a flight cancelled in March and then holding out until the end of August / September time to ACTUALLY refund the ticket :-(

So, just in case anyone may be in the same position or "waiting" on your money to be refunded to enable you to you book elsewhere etc, it is maybe worth a quick phone call to them ( UK tel No :0344 8002777) just to be sure that they HAVE actually CANCELLED your ticket and aren't playing that "oh we decided just to leave it an open ticket until you contacted us again sir) move with you too.

* and before anyone asks "why did you bother cancelling and not just leaving the open ticket?' please dont as even on the call I went back and forwards several time in my own mind re that and was right on the edge of just leaving it open myself on the logic that I will use it "sometime". BUT for once I decided that No, get the money back in my account and god knows where and when I can next use that and whether Emirates will still be flying ( ok I doubt that'll happen but hey stranger things these days ) so, no, money back in the account and when the times right I'll just pay whatever it costs to rebook at THAT time and not find myself restricted to HAVING to fly with Emirates again just to use that ticket up.

Zebedee
June 30th, 2020, 20:16
I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this notice, but its still sound advice.

christianpfc
June 30th, 2020, 23:45
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/1943128/thailand-to-lift-ban-on-international-flights-wednesday

Thailand to lift ban on international flights Wednesday

Thailand will lift a ban on international flights on Wednesday, its aviation regulator said on Monday.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) said the ban on international flights will be lifted on Wednesday under some conditions.

has the following news:

Original announcement from CAAT here:
https://www.caat.or.th/en/archives/51825

Permit for passenger aircraft will be given by the Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand for flying over, flying into or out of, and taking off or landing at an international airport in the Kingdom only if the passengers or persons on board are one of the following categories:...
They are missing the crucial point which is disembarking and entering Thailand.