PDA

View Full Version : The Risks of Isolation

Dodger
April 7th, 2020, 15:56
First and foremost, I hope you maniacs are all doing well.

Isolation sucks...more time on my hands...don't want to bore you...but thought I'd share this with you.

Loneliness caused by social isolation has been proven to wreak havoc on an individual’s physical, mental and cognitive health and is linked to adverse health consequences including depression, poor sleep quality, impaired executive function, accelerated cognitive decline, poor cardiovascular function and impaired immunity at every stage of life. According to a study conducted by the American Cancer Society, social isolation also increases the risk of premature death. If this doesn’t make this topic pertinent to all of us, than I don’t know what does.

Over 80% of my friends who are retired expats residing in Thailand live alone and are over the age of 60. According to the experts, these are the most vulnerable people. All seem to be taking pretty much the same approach right now i.e., watching a lot of TV, surfing the internet, chatting on social media, reading books, beating their meat, and walking in circles around their rooms to keep their hearts beating. Of course these are all great things to be doing, especially when considering the lack of alternatives, but these activities in-and-by-themselves, may not be enough.

I have one friend who has added another element to his life to help combat loneliness and depression during this crisis which I believe has a lot of merit. Living alone for the past 6 years since retiring in Thailand, and never wanting to have it any other way, he decided that having a live-in companion during this isolation period may have some merit, which set his wheels in motion.

He contacted a Laotian boy he had met previously at a bar in Jomtien Complex who he really liked being with. The boy had recently lost his job, had no money in his pockets, and couldn’t get home. He offered the boy room & board and a few bucks in his pocket so he could remain fee-earning until this crisis is over, in exchange for his live-in companionship. He apparently told the boy up-front that this arrangement was temporary and would end when the isolation restrictions got lifted.

The boy now has a place to live and food on the table, and will have enough money saved when the restrictions do end, that he’ll be able to either return to the working scene or go home. For my friend, he now has someone to share his time with which can make all the difference in the world. The friend I am referring to is a doctor, practicing in Austria prior to retiring in Thailand. According to him, limiting your interactions to one boy during this pandemic presents very low risk. As you would expect, he made sure the boy he selected wasn’t exhibiting any symptoms before extending the invitation. It’s a win-win situation.

I know that some of you will scoff at my friends actions, but, I for one, would do exactly the same thing if I were living alone.

Good luck to all…if you don't have a Boy Special, find one…it could always be worse.

Cheers

Smiles
April 7th, 2020, 16:19
Yo Dodger!
A very sophisticated and incisive post, the kind of which I've come to expect from you for all these years.
I especially find your suggestion -- one of many -- for your many friends that " ... beating their meat ..." could help out with the trauma. It definitely would help out in many wonderful ways ... especially time for self-reflection. (After the beating that is.)

a447
April 7th, 2020, 17:04
I know that some of you will scoff at my friends actions, but, I for one, would do exactly the same thing if I were living alone.

And that's exactly what I've done.

I asked one of my regulars here (I've got 3 to choose from) if he'd like to live with me until the restrictions are lifted. He jumped at the chance.

He's spent lots of time with me but never stayed more than a couple of days at a time - usually over the weekend. I live in a very large house so he can have his own living areas - bedroom, bathroom, games room - on the other side of the house.

The situation suits us both perfectly. I get my "needs" taken care of whenever the urge arises, and he gets a generous compensation package, along with anything he wants - usually it's just alcohol.

There's an added bonus for me; he's Italian and so is an excellent cook!

We spend the days in the pool, going for walks, having an afternoon "session", and watching movies. He suggested I buy an xbox gaming console, not something I'd ever really consider. It's fantastic! I bought some car racing games, a dedicated racing car seat, steering wheel, pedals - the whole set-up. Wow! A game called Forza 4 allows you to "drive" around England, through the countryside, along the coast and through picturesque villages, all in stunning 4K graphics. It's like actually being there. I highly recommend it if you get really bored.

The situation in Australia is nowhere near as bad as in Europe or the U.S. but we are told we'll be in lockdown for at least another 6 months.

So far, so good. We're having a great time.

Fingers crossed.

But I miss my friends terribly. I guess we are all in the same boat. We catch up on Skype but that's hardly satisfactory.

But let's just try to imagine how awesome things will be once we are over all this! At least that gives us something to look forward to.

And by that time my "friend" and I will probably be at each other's throats and will be glad to see the end of each other, so to speak. lol

Oliver2
April 7th, 2020, 17:37
There's a lot of good sense here but there's one caveat; many people under lockdown, even in western countries, live in overcrowded homes. Not everyone shares our privacy and ability to please ourselves. I've always enjoyed living alone, but now more than ever.

latintopxxx
April 9th, 2020, 03:38
I'm in the same situation as a477...only with a group of 5 sharing two adjoining apartments....to date lotsa fun... could not share a basic room or suite with a MB for a month...would rather be alone...need my space