PDA

View Full Version : Fie-work

August 8th, 2006, 12:04
What is it with the fire-crackers today? It started around 7.00am this morning and kept up for hours so it seemed. Now I have just jumped out of my skin as a big bunch of crackers just went off behind me. They'll be a few more Farang heart attacks brought on today I'm sure.

August 8th, 2006, 12:13
Chinese holiday.

catawampuscat
August 8th, 2006, 18:03
The fireworks are going off all over Thailand and started early this morning.. My guess is that the Chinese use them to scare off the ghosts
and spirits..If you see people burning paper, it is symbolic money that somehow gets to their dead relatives ...

August 8th, 2006, 18:07
Such a deep understanding of Chinese culture. Only here, folks...only here!

Aunty
August 8th, 2006, 18:26
The fireworks are going off all over Thailand and started early this morning.. My guess is that the Chinese use them to scare off the ghosts
and spirits.....

What is it with the fire-crackers today? It started around 7.00am this morning and kept up for hours so it seemed. Now I have just jumped out of my skin as a big bunch of crackers just went off behind me.

You're not a ghostly spirit Fatman, are you?

August 8th, 2006, 19:14
A weird interpretation of a Chinese tradition -- today is the beginning of 'hungry ghosts festival,' but in Chinese countries, people only burn paper money (and mobile phones and houses and servants and cars...), no firecrackers.

August 9th, 2006, 01:38
A weird interpretation of a Chinese tradition -- today is the beginning of 'hungry ghosts festival,' but in Chinese countries, people only burn paper money (and mobile phones and houses and servants and cars...), no firecrackers.

You should stay in Taichung sometime - thought it was world war 3 started one morning at around 6am - gotta love kids!

wowpow
August 9th, 2006, 10:54
It's Chinese Half Year Festival which is six months after Chinese New Year Festival - amazing. Nearly deafened in Soi Dick's Cafe Bangkok last night as Future Boys set of a barrel load of crackers. There were some 'crackers' inside as well.