View Full Version : Eva Airlines Seating

bucknaway
August 8th, 2006, 08:11
I am flying Eva and am able to choose which plane I will do most of my sitting time on. I will fly in the upgraded economy section. Anyone know which plane is better to use?

The choices are: 747 and 777

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a337/blkcuteguy/747.jpg

This is the 747

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a337/blkcuteguy/777.jpg

This is the 777

Any advice will be appreciated.

August 8th, 2006, 08:20
777 looks better to me.

Bob
August 8th, 2006, 08:45
Not sure if this will help you but:
1) I like the 777 upgraded economy (called elite). I like the new seats and especially enjoy the
entertainment system included (once you get the hang of it, it's very nice.....but, of course, I take
my own noise-cancelling headphones with me). I personally think the 777 is a nicer airplane, is a bit
quieter, and I like that the cabin seems a bit more squared off instead of the old tunnel effect. The
777's, of course, are much newer planes.

2) A good friend of mine actually prefers the 747 upgraded economy (evergreen deluxe). He thought
the new seats were too hard for him and he didn't have a clue how to figure out the entertainment
system (yes, he doesn't even own a computer and my guess is he is challenged with a tv remote).

I appreciate the upgraded class on EVA and I notice things like the attendants regularly cleaning
the bathrooms. Plenty of legroom also. Beats "cattle class" by a mile.

Edit: Thanks for reminding me, Buck, I just went and selected my seats for October and return in
November. Pretty full aready. I'm flying Evergreen Deluxe from LAX to Taipei...and Elite all other
segments.

August 8th, 2006, 09:39
I have stated before that I prefer the older 747 in economy deluxe/elite. BTW, I own a computer and am technologically literate. The touch screen video selection is much better on the new 777, but I really dislikes the smaller seats on this model. The leg room on the 777 suffers as the seats in front of you might have extended protruding boxes built into the bottom. I know someone said that this is the case only for the end seats in a row but I have been in side window, side aisle, and center aisle and all 3 had restrictive legroom due to whatever they built onto the bottoms of the seat in front of me. The lady seated next to me had a small carry-on and was unable to put it under the seat at her feet for lack of space. The 777 is superior is all other respects but nothing can compensate enough for a smaller seat with less legroom. I have no choice on which plane I take - my flight from SFO to TPE is always on a 747 and more times than not, my TPE to BKK flight is on the 777. As I have said before, if EVA ever starts to use the 777 on the long leg of the flight from the US to TPE, I will switch airlines.

bucknaway
August 8th, 2006, 10:22
Thanks guys, I just booked my ticket. I will use both planes. I start on a 747 and then go to the 777. Seems Eva made the choice for me :compress:

Now they say they have a power port for laptops... I am wondering what I need to keep my laptop powered on the plane with their power?

Thanks Bob for getting me to stop beating about the bush and paying for my ticket. It cost me $1,160.00 for round-trip from EWR (Newark New Jersey) to Bangkok. Oct 12 thru Nov 6.

August 8th, 2006, 11:00
Thanks guys, I just booked my ticket. I will use both planes. I start on a 747 and then go to the 777. Seems Eva made the choice for me :compress:

Now they say they have a power port for laptops... I am wondering what I need to keep my laptop powered on the plane with their power?

Thanks Bob for getting me to stop beating about the bush and paying for my ticket. It cost me $1,160.00 for round-trip from EWR (Newark New Jersey) to Bangkok. Oct 12 thru Nov 6.

Oh my - we will be there same time! woof woof!

August 8th, 2006, 11:06
I have never seen the 777 used on the Pacific leg of the flight... both are used the TPE-BKK route. I prefer the 747 - seats are bit larger and the high ceiling in the nose section is less claustrophobic - use your miles to upgrade the shorter TPE-BKK flight to Business on the 777. Also be careful about which seat you get... for example the A or H27 have restricted legroom because of the door slide and they usually put parents with children in the very front too far back and you are close to the bathroom doors - to me the sweet spot is a window seat (no one climbing over you or carts hitting you) in about row 30...

August 8th, 2006, 11:33
- to me the sweet spot is a window seat (no one climbing over you or carts hitting you) in about row 30...

Same for me.......... toilet before getting on - no problem until landing getting woken 10 times by people with weak bladders. I get the latest flight possible - have dinner - read for an hour - sleep and wake in BKK.

And if your like me and cant sleep straight...........can lean that way onto air pillow and not bug anyone.

August 8th, 2006, 11:38
Btw - if you fly economy with EVA go for the 777.

the 747 has 1 TV each side of the cabin - the 777 has one for every seat.

August 8th, 2006, 13:56
I found the seats on the 747 in Evergreen Deluxe were fine - I lucked out and got an exit row seat both ways. I will definitely fly with them again.

Only problem with EVA is the catering service company out of Seattle. Their food just plain SUCKS! (No pun intended!) Out of Newark, Taipei and Bangkok, the food was good. Better bring along some cheeseburgers and have the flight attendants heat them up for you - or just brown bag it. That catering company should go back to their day job of digging ditches.

August 8th, 2006, 21:57
I thought the food from London to BKK on EVA was pretty awful too - and both meals were pretty much identical - but maybe that was just a mistake they made on the day. The entertainment system was no good either since most of the buttons on my handset didn't work - it had been smashed then stuck back together with tape!

However the seat in enhanced economy was fine despite the metal boxes under almost every seat. Lots more room than a standard economy seat. This was on a 777 flight, incidenhtally.

Smiles
August 8th, 2006, 22:34
Prefer the 777 hands down mainly because of the noticeable quieter flight and the seat-back TV screens.

I fly economy class and as I'm not a very big guy and have no trouble with the seats there (though on the long flight I always choose an aisle seat if available . . . god I hate that scramble across 2 other dozy and scowling seatmates). But I understand when bigger guys complain about economy seating ... it appears cramped when passing down the aisle and 3 fatties are huffing and wheezing and sweating attempting to get themselves seated comfortably.

The 12-hour 747 flight to Taipae on EVA is a bit of a pain. And ~ this may be imagination ~ but I felt there was something "rickety" about that bird. Didn't give a particularly great feel of security. In contrast, the 777 felt very "tight" (for want of a better word).

I recall reading (somewhare?) that EVA has made a major Boeing 777 purchase and will be replacing the much older 747's in their fleet with those, so I guess the days of the very long 1st leg 747 flight from the west coast to Taiwan are numbered. Good!

Cheers ...

August 8th, 2006, 22:36
I regularly used EVA Air until they changed their plane from 747 to 777 on the London/BKK route, mainly because the economy de-luxe was such great value over cattle class. This was even in spite of the food which was always crap ... indeed I usually took my own snacks and just had their hot drinks. However the 777 equivalent class has much less leg room and additionally there is a lot less space in the aircraft to walk around and stand (without getting in the crew and other peoples way). Since 777 have been introduced on this service the fare has gone up by over 35% and much more than justified by the general airline increase in fuel prices. They seem to be trying to recoup the cost of buying these new planes. I have flown Thai economy on my last two trips and if you know which seat number to ask for it is much more comfortable than a 777 (and a damn sight cheaper).

August 8th, 2006, 22:44
I regularly used EVA Air until they changed their plane from 747 to 777 on the London/BKK route, mainly because the economy de-luxe was such great value over cattle class. This was even in spite of the food which was always crap ... indeed I usually took my own snacks and just had their hot drinks. However the 777 equivalent class has much less leg room and additionally there is a lot less space in the aircraft to walk around and stand (without getting in the crew and other peoples way). Since 777 have been introduced on this service the fare has gone up by over 35% and much more than justified by the general airline increase in fuel prices. They seem to be trying to recoup the cost of buying these new planes. I have flown Thai economy on my last two trips and if you know which seat number to ask for it is much more comfortable than a 777 (and a damn sight cheaper).

Your not the pilot from the ship lady Davina ? :cyclops: :

August 8th, 2006, 23:14
Since 777 have been introduced on this service the fare has gone up by over 35% and much more than justified by the general airline increase in fuel prices. .

I assume you are only talking about what was Deluxe because in Business cCass the fares over the past year, and I fly the Bk/Lon route at leat 11 times a year, have increased only by an average of 8%.

My current trip from Bk/Lon return cost ┬г1125 and a trip we have booked for December is ┬г1367 paid on booking, both in Busines Class.

August 8th, 2006, 23:21
I always use EVA for my journeys to BKK and have been doing so for ten years. I much prefer the 747 which, sadly, is no longer usesd on the LHR route.
I find the seats more comfortable, particularly in the Deluxe class, and if you can book one of the four seats on their own in this cabin (I think 16-19) then you have unlimited leg room.
iIt is true that the upgraded entertainment is an inprovement but this is not for me much of a compensation.

Up2U
August 9th, 2006, 00:49
I fly EVA often. I like the seating on the 747 and of course the entertainment center on the 777. For the 747, I recommend seats:

Row 24D,G
Row 25D,G
Row 26D,G
Row 27A,C,D,G,H,K

Extra legroom and don't have to hop over people. These seats go quicky and Siver, Gold card members get priority.

The Taipei-Bengkok leg is short (3+ hours) and seating is of no consequence for me.

August 9th, 2006, 03:19
There is a sight that I use that has seating charts for most airlines
It lets you know where the best seats are in each class on the plane
It also lets you know which ones are the worst seats and ones to avoid
Its WWW.seatguru.com (http://WWW.seatguru.com)

TOQ
August 9th, 2006, 04:33

Please, what are the right seats to request..

john

August 9th, 2006, 04:57
Although it doesn't cover EVA, this site may help with other carriers:

http://www.seatguru.com/

August 9th, 2006, 05:42
For Laptop users, be aware thats EVAs 747 do NOT have power outlets ..not even for Business seats. Thai's New premium Economy seating IS roomier and the seats better than EVAs new ELITE class. Right now, Thai only offers Premium economy on their non stop flights from NY or LA to BKK. Maybe they will add more flights from other cities in the future. The Service and food beats EVA (my past favorite) hands down.

August 9th, 2006, 06:18
HI Guys,
I have flown Vancouver-Bangkok 10 or more times with EVA.
I have flown my family there for Christmas twice and several friends now go as well.
All fly Evergreen Deluxe and love it. They even enjoy the food, so maybe the caterer in Vancouver is better.
I had an interesting experience on my last flight Vancouver-Taipei.
I had noticed, just prior to boarding, two guys sitting off by themselves. Swarthy types, who I was unable to stereotype regarding race, but somehow they made me just a little uncomfortable.
The flight leaves late at night, and after some nice wine and an excellent meal, I went to sleep.
I was in Row one of the upper deck in First Class.
I was awakened by the same two guys walking by. They were not in First or Business Class, so I was surprised to see them there.
They walked past the curtain which divides the cockpit and crew area.
I couldn't think of many good reasons for that to be happening and had to quickly consider what to do. Play the hero before I knew anything was wrong?
I did decide to wait for some noise, or the sound of a door being broken down, etc., before doing anything, but I did slip the blanket and seat belt off. Heart pounding, brain racing.
I heard them discussing something, then they reappeared. I feigned sleep.
They left and I informed the cabin staff, who had not seen them, as to what had transpired.
They felt they were probably just sight-seeing, but also may have been just trying to put a positive spin on it.
A few minutes later that flight attendant went forward and later, I heard someone come out of the cockpit and sit in the area behind.
I wondered if that person was armed.
I worried they were "casing" the situation and how easy it would be to get to the cockpit. They did not return to that cabin, however, during the flight.
Casing for the future? Who knows, but it was way too easy for them to get up there. I hope EVA cockpits cannot be entered without permission.
I reported the incident to EVA staff in Taipei.
Anyway, I really do enjoy flying with EVA, but will not stay with them when they make the switch to the 777 for Vancouver-Taipei. It has no First Class and I find the lay-flat Business seat to be impossible to sleep on due to the angle it is on when "flat". I have, the past few trips, always flown Business on the 777 to Bangkok from Taipei, and do enjoy that short flight. The entertainment system certainly is superior.
I really love the First Class lounge in Taipei, as well. Nice to take a long walk in that gigantic airport, then have a shower, and some excellent food.

August 9th, 2006, 18:35
[quote="Lady Davina":1zticl0f]Since 777 have been introduced on this service the fare has gone up by over 35% and much more than justified by the general airline increase in fuel prices. .

I assume you are only talking about what was Deluxe.....[/quote:1zticl0f]

Quite correct

August 9th, 2006, 18:38
Lady Davina,

Are you of any relation to the famous Bangkok transexual hotelier by the same name?

August 9th, 2006, 19:00
I have flown Thai economy on my last two trips and if you know which seat number to ask for it is much more comfortable than a 777 (and a damn sight cheaper).

john

This is a purely personal preference. You should also note that THAI 747 seating is configured differently from EVA Air. I take no notice of in flight "entertainment" which I find mind numbing and my priority is leg room and the ability to stretch out to sleep and also not to have the guy in the seat in front suddenly recline his seat into your face or spill the contents of your table onto your lap.

The seat numbers I go for are all immediately behind a Galley solid partition wall (but not immediately behind a toilet area). This gives plenty of leg room and also the option of putting your feet up against the partition wall - great if you want to sleep without getting leg cramp. They are:

32 J and K
35 D, E, F and G
56 D, E. F and G

(E and F seats are centre seats in a row of four). I prefer the aisle seats D and G or seats 32 J or K.

Seats in rows 35 and 56 are popular and also families requiring sky cots are given preference. If you book early enough one can usually get what you ask for.

THAI food is far superior to the pig swill served up on EVA.

There is a seating plan for the THAI 747/400 Version 7441 on their web site.

Hope this helps.

TOQ
August 9th, 2006, 20:41
[quote="Lady Davina":2fbgfz4w] I have flown Thai economy on my last two trips and if you know which seat number to ask for it is much more comfortable than a 777 (and a damn sight cheaper).

john

This is a purely personal preference. You should also note that THAI 747 seating is configured differently from EVA Air. I take no notice of in flight "entertainment" which I find mind numbing and my priority is leg room and the ability to stretch out to sleep and also not to have the guy in the seat in front suddenly recline his seat into your face or spill the contents of your table onto your lap.

The seat numbers I go for are all immediately behind a Galley solid partition wall (but not immediately behind a toilet area). This gives plenty of leg room and also the option of putting your feet up against the partition wall - great if you want to sleep without getting leg cramp. They are:

32 J and K
35 D, E, F and G
56 D, E. F and G

(E and F seats are centre seats in a row of four). I prefer the aisle seats D and G or seats 32 J or K.

Seats in rows 35 and 56 are popular and also families requiring sky cots are given preference. If you book early enough one can usually get what you ask for.

THAI food is far superior to the pig swill served up on EVA.

There is a seating plan for the THAI 747/400 Version 7441 on their web site.

Hope this helps.[/quote:2fbgfz4w]

Thank you, it does help. I will checkout the site.

john

August 9th, 2006, 22:08
[quote="
Thank you, it does help. I will checkout the site.

john[/quote]

Your welcome. Hope you find what you want. It's a pleasure to answer someone on this site who has the civility to say "please"

August 10th, 2006, 14:29
EVA phoned me today to tell me that my afternoon flight on Nov 8 out of SF to TPE Econ Deluxe was canceled. I am flying into SFO from the midwest the night before my previously scheduled flight the next day. As I have a meeting in SF on the morning of Nov 8, I explained that I could not take the midnight flight on Nov 8 and the new offered flight after midnight on Nov 9 would require me to pay for another day in a SF hotel unless I wanted to check out at noon on Nov 8 and hang around SF for 10 hours until I could check in for my flight. I asked if they could compensate me for the additional expense of an extra days hotel cost by upgrading me to Business Class. The reservation agent said she would check with her supervisor. She phoned back after 10 minutes time and told me they would upgrade me to Business Class on both legs of my flight to BKK and she apologized for any inconvenience. So, I guess it never hurts to ask.

billyhouston
August 11th, 2006, 04:58
Between LHR and BKK on EVA, I much prefer the 747s, especially the Combi. On the older aircraft both Business (up top) and Evergreen (at the front) were quieter in terms of engine noise than on the 777. Most importantly the 747 had much more room to stretch your legs and have a wander. There was more free space in the cabin and also around the galley. On the 777 it's just one mass of seats and the 'Elite' seats seem narrower than the old 'Evergreen' ones... or is it just my imagination? The Premium Laurel seats are too short and not quite horizontal enough for comfort. The combi with fewer passengers was quicker to load and there were fewer passengers around the baggage carousel.

Smiles
August 11th, 2006, 05:08
Lots of fairly recent passenger opinions (quite detailed / subjective) on EVA here: http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/eva.htm
Especially enjoyed this comment about one of EVA's BKK employees:

" ... (EVA) is definitely an airline that should be checked more carefully by authorities! The return flight (BR75), was fine as far as cabin crew was concerned, but check- in at BKK was horrible! One ground crew member even shoved a first class passenger, instead of asking the poor man to step aside for him to put the red carpet down! ... "
By the way, Thai Airways reviews are ecstatic compared to the EVA commentary! ( http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/thai.htm )

Also click on any airline you want after feasting on EVA. Am looking forward to reading about Aeroflop. :blackeye:
Just a thought: the travel world is full of bloody whiners!!

Cheers ...

August 12th, 2006, 12:45
my travel agent tells me not to meet my firend in germany but fly direct save 8 hours wait in frankfurt
american $1473 and eva $1754 american goes through japan 23hour 20 one stop
man thatas a long time to sit on a plane

but fare to frankfurt and free ticket to thailand is $1300 and plave leaves for thailand 1500
sit around long time not save much money