PDA

View Full Version : Quick questions guys - which airline to bkk - Emirates, Lufthansa. Etihad or Qatar !?

Nirish guy
March 6th, 2020, 16:40
So, after much deliberation and listening to the advice of others who know better ( thank A447 etc) after much consideration( i.e tossing a coin basically) I've taken the mature and adult decision to drop the Japan part of my trip and just extend my time in Thailand ( as going nowhere whilst my BF was away in the Philippines for a month is just SO not happening virus or not ! :-)

So, I rang Emirates who I've already my ticket booked with and yes they'll kindly let me amend my ticket for a further £90 only - HOWEVER it then dawned on my that hang on, I paid around £800 for that ticket a while back now, so that's nearly £900 cost, whereas thanks to whats going on I see flights on numerous airlines have now dropped and the same flight ( even from emirates!) is now around £400 !!! Emirates confirmed that but said there's nothing they can or will do about that so screw that !! I can cancel my entire ticket for a cost of around £100 and rebook with anyone I chose them which is of course what I'm going to to now.

So, whilst I normally fly Emirates and am happy with them etc there's a small part of my saying 'thanks for nothing guys" and as I ca book at least three other carriers at the same price and around the same flights times I might give one of them a try this time.

So a quick questions guys as I'm trying to wort this today - so my choices / preferences of airlines from Dublin to Bkk - Emirates, Lufthansa. Etihad or Qatar !? So, anyone have any suggestions there as to which the obvious choice should be in terms of plane / service etc ( I always heard Qatar were worth shot ??)

So, anyone any comments re that, or should I jut stick to my tried and tested - even though they were going to happily try to screw me without volunteering it would be MUCH cheaper to cancel and rebook rather than amend my ticket ??? Oh one issue I'm also having is that Emirates will make a change over the phone but WONT let me cancel over the phone and refer to me their website, which has been unavailable for the last hour as according to their staff their various offices and website are very close to meltdown with the number of calls their (failing) to handle, ( according to the girl I spoke to)

Thanks in anticipation.

bkkguy
March 6th, 2020, 19:14
my only suggestion would be direct flight is best, but I assume not an option from Dublin! otherwise picking your transit port probably more important then airline - though service, price, cancellation options, etc are obviously also an issue

I am currently booked BKK-Dubai-Amsterdam late May returning late June on Emirates - this is definitely my preferred route, A380 both legs both ways and like you they are my preferred option BKK-Europe - I have always found the lounges, transit and on-board service great

transiting in Dubai from either Thailand or the Netherlands does not currently present any significant logistical complications - but that may change - but Dubai is such a major hub with transit passengers from so many potentially high-risk source countries that it is a bit of a worry

the direct alternative for me is EVA BKK-Amsterdam but that is 50% more expensive and the dates I want to travel are already booked out, but at least a decent aircraft both ways, I am still considering this. Then there is always Thai to Munich on a decent aircraft then a crappy Lufthansa aircraft to Amsterdam or Thai to Paris on a reasonable aircraft then train to Amsterdam but both these options are 100% more expensive and not appealing at all anyway

I am 60+yo, and a diabetic with coronary artery disease so in a high risk group - if the virus situation declines dramatically in the Netherlands then my obvious choice is a "staycation" in Thailand, but I am already doing that after cancelling a Singapore Songkran escape next month so I hope it doesn't come to that!

pong
March 6th, 2020, 19:24
Be more clear about what you want, also eco or bis?
QR is very best for Inboard service. LH would be last on my list, BUT also look into LX=SWISS, thus via Zürich, Ive used them quite a few times lately and am quite satisfied with them, they are owned by LH. FROm BKK its a daytime flite, so check if you can still connect to home on the evening. Also look into FINNair, via HELsinki, quick and easy transit, fast flite, but onboard pretty basic (you get 1 beer/wine with the meal and really nothing more).
Untill some 3-4 yrs ago I was freq.flyer on EY, but they have really gone downhill since.
Also apr+may is dead-LOW season from EUR for any airline and with this current Covid/Corona thing many, many flites are cancelled on any airline. I think some of the Gulfies have even cancelled ALL their flites to BKK. Unpleasant surprises may still await you after having booked 2nd time.

arsenal
March 6th, 2020, 19:44
I can see why some members think pong and Nirish are related.

Nirish guy
March 6th, 2020, 19:56
Related or not at least Pong replied to my post, keeping on thead and use suggestions though eh.......whereas......where's that blooming red triangle certain people seem to keen to use these days !!

* I am joking btw, nothing wrong with a bit of light hearted interjection in my book ( or on my thread at least it seems).

Oh and PS, yes Pong and I are actually full Twin brothers, I thought that would have been obvious by now ! :-)

Oh and Pong, your reply, based on not enough detail from me perhaps, was very useful thank you and from reading a few news sites this morning re how various airlines (aren't) coping, I too fear you might be quite right about "more to come" in regards to enforced airline flight cancellations etc :-(

Kenny
March 6th, 2020, 20:01
I regularly fly from Dublin and I have used each of the airlines you mention Nirish.
However I have settled on KLM via Amsterdam.
The first hop is just over an hour, and then one long leg to BKK.
It is usually in the lower pricing tier as well.
I find it a better option than the gulf airlines.

Nirish guy
March 6th, 2020, 20:30
Yeah I hadn't thought of an Amsterdam ( or London) flight with one long flight there after with no stop over as as has already been said Dubia could maybe not be the smartest of stop overs either these days perhaps even, I'll have to check that out.

newalaan2
March 7th, 2020, 00:20
I regularly fly from Dublin and I have used each of the airlines you mention Nirish.
However I have settled on KLM via Amsterdam.
The first hop is just over an hour, and then one long leg to BKK.
It is usually in the lower pricing tier as well.
I find it a better option than the gulf airlines.

Yeah I hadn't thought of an Amsterdam ( or London) flight with one long flight there after with no stop over as as has already been said Dubia could maybe not be the smartest of stop overs either these days perhaps even, I'll have to check that out.

Nirish, I have a flight booked with KLM for arrival in Thailand just after Songkran, (staying through May). KLM have already advised I can change dates with no fee any time up to mid/end May, but have to pay if base fare is higher than my original, however I booked mine some time ago and many of the base fares seem to be lower now. I always use KLM from regional Scottish airports (have for 20 years) and, like Kenny, one hour flight from all Scottish airports and 2 hour layovers in Amsterdam available. As I can use the KLM lounges as part of frequent flyer card I am ok for 2-4 hour layover.

The outward from Amsterdam to Bkk direct is usually 10.5-11 hours, which I regard as an easy/relaxing flight length. Between reading, eating, listening to music couple hours each and a 4 hour sleep, wake up an hour before landing and i'm there. I buy economy ticket then upgrade to something else. I did the business class thing for years especially when they had the 747 upper decks, but since the use of 777's I just can't justify bus class. Hundreds of £ extra basically for a meal I'd pay £20 in a restaurant. I'm 5' 8" - 10st so I can get comfortable in practically any seat. I am way past the bus class status thing, I really couldn't give a shit about some false smiles, interaction and fuss from staff, also I used to find equally/more obnoxious/ignorant/selfish pax in Bus Class anyway.

Yes, can take some precautions when travelling, but its gonna be a case of luck and %'s with who you come into contact with, no matter Europe or far east/Thailand. I'm not as worried about actually catching the virus (% wise) as I am being caught up in some kind of quarantine lock-down either abroad when arriving (and therefore having my holiday in a Thai hospital while there) or on my way back. So It's just a case of keeping in touch with developments.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

Nirish guy
March 7th, 2020, 00:42
Thanks - you and I share almost exactly the same view on Business Class re cost v "experience" and being at the time of life of that not impressing us so much any longer, I'd much rather blow that money in a bar ( or get blown with that money perhaps being an even better choice !). If only I could match you on the 10 stone part then I'd really be happy ! :)

I am going to check out KLM now as you're right that 11 hour flight and your description of same is almost exactly my usual M.O also and it suits me just fine too.

My main problem now is I've gone from "being booked and settled" to just about to unbook and am totally unsettled again and now that I'm seeing "Songkran cancelled" etc etc I'm actually wondering why I'm even putting myself through the whole thing in the first place ! The original point of my trip was to head to Japan, now it seems I'm jumping through hoops all over again planning wise for a week or two in Bkk and Patts and THAT is always very debatable now as to whether it's even worth the bother :-( But thanks for the info above all the same, it's very useful

* Edit - Just checked and for me KLM from Belfast to Bkk via Ams.....34hrs 15 mins ! - and even worse on the way back.....I think i'll have to pass on that one I fear. Dublin of course being the solution there should I chose to go that way, which then thankfully opens up nearly all airline choices again to me and brings KLM down to a nice respectable 14hrs and something - hence my original question as to who we're all happiest with these days,

gerefan2
March 7th, 2020, 01:10
Try traveltrolley.co.uk
They have flights from Belfast to Bkk via LHR...18 hours. Downside is it’s BA all the way.

Alternatively make your own flight arrangement to Heathrow to catch any of the three departures direct to Thailand. They all leave at about the same time...21.30 and are direct non stop. BA, Eva and Thai.

colmx
March 7th, 2020, 01:49
I second Pong suggestion of Finnair via Helsinki... They are my go to airline for 5 of my last 6 visits
It usually works out at 3 hours for DUB-HEL, 1 hour stopover (with no security checks required in a very Scandinavian style compact and efficient HEL) and 9 Hours for HEL to BKK, although that flight always arrives in early, so its usually less than 13 hours all in.

No need to worry about the short connection time, they will delay the outbound flight for you. Chances of a cheap or free upgrade are also quite high (full lie flat bed)

If you are looking at the ME3 then for me its Emirates, Qatar and then Etihad a distant last. Emirates are usually half empty on the DXB-BKK route, so you can often get 3/4 seats to yourself. Qatars fleet is so inconsistent and they often swap out their cramped and cheaply fitted out 787s for an even shittier older plane, and change all the seating assignments at the last minute, I was once told (not asked) to move 4 times to accommodate other passengers, despite my pre-booked seat. They then hand you a scabby pasty and a muffin for your meal after take off and before landing

Nirish guy
March 7th, 2020, 02:01
Thanks Colmx now THAT is exactly the sort of solid down to the nighty gritty info I was looking for ! All duly noted ! thanks.

goji
March 7th, 2020, 02:02
Try traveltrolley.co.uk
Alternatively make your own flight arrangement to Heathrow to catch any of the three departures direct to Thailand. They all leave at about the same time...21.30 and are direct non stop. BA, Eva and Thai.

On the outbound direction, that would presumably work fine, as long as you can take the risk of a flight to London getting cancelled. Who needs that stress ?
On the return, we're well into the evening by the time the EVA flight arrives, so taking a separate flight to Belfast might be hard work.
I do like EVA though.

My suggestion would be for NIrish to run a search on Skyscanner and see what has acceptable timings from Belfast, Dublin or whatever is preferred.
Then if there is more than one interesting option, see what other members think about those.

newalaan2
March 7th, 2020, 02:20
* Edit - Just checked and for me KLM from Belfast to Bkk via Ams.....34hrs 15 mins ! - and even worse on the way back.....I think i'll have to pass on that one I fear. Dublin of course being the solution there should I chose to go that way, which then thankfully opens up nearly all airline choices again to me and brings KLM down to a nice respectable 14hrs and something - hence my original question as to who we're all happiest with these days,

Flippin heck! That's a real shock, KLM Belfast only 1 flight a day to Ams, gets in to Ams 4pm too tight for connection to KL875- 5.15pm early evening flight to Bkk, the 34 hours presumably being the time to the next day KLM Bkk flight. Even the smallest of the 3 main Scottish airports, Aberdeen, has 5-6 flights per day to Ams, I would have expected at least a couple from Belfast. That's unfortunate. However if Dublin was doable from home, at aprox 14 hours with KLM, that's most likely who I would personally stick with, but as you say Dublin opens up quite a choice. I must admit I've only ever done Bkk from Amsterdam-Klm, Paris-AirFrance, couple with BA-London and once Frankfurt with Lufhansa connecting, in other words all Euro, never Middle East so I really can't compare.

Like me, you're probably wondering what exactly you might actually be heading over to, in terms of bars, gogos and clubs depending how long the Corona fall-out lasts. Already talk of Bangkok gogo bars having to consider closure/restricted hours especially given their customer base of China/Sth Korea/Singapore/Hong Kong. Many of the boys Facebook pages I know of already awash with doom and gloom in terms of customers/earnings. I certainly don't rely on bars for boys as bf, boys special over many years cover that side of things, but most of the trip nowadays is about enjoying visiting the bars, gogo's for fun, but especially the clubs and concerts as well as the live music pubs. BUT, as long as travel looks ok I'll be going no matter what the entertainment situation is.

In another turn of events bf tonight was telling of possible 'situation' regarding some of the Thais coming back and who have already come back from South Korea. He was specifically referring to those now in Khon Kaen and I was going to add it to Jellybean's Corona-in-Thailand thread but the details could well be classed as fake news or reporting false (unverified) information on social media so I think I wont post it. The source is credible but they are afraid that the 'powers that be' will supress it and anyone posting details could find themselves in trouble. It is Thailand after all.

Mancs
March 7th, 2020, 03:02
I do MAN to BKK, usually stopping in the Middle East though I have used KLM, Thai, BA as well. Currently I like Qatar, sometimes Oman Air. For years I used Etihad but the planes tend to be very full these days. One current issue is maybe not wanting to change planes in what Thailand lists as a 'high risk' country with daily changes in the information coming out on 'quarantine' etc.

Kenny
March 7th, 2020, 07:04
This thread has convinced me of the need of a direct flight from Ireland to Thailand.
It should be staffed by an all male Thai crew from Nice Boys uniformed in their working clothes.
Now thats a long haul flight I could happily sign up for:)

aot871
March 7th, 2020, 08:40
Im flying from Man on the 21st of this month , but cant make up my mind weather to cancel the whole trip and take a money hit as my fare is100%non refundable or pay extra and change my dates to oct/ nov by which time things in both bkk and pattayamay have changed

arsenal
March 7th, 2020, 10:59
I wouldn't cancel or change your flights aot871. Either it will be ok to go or some other body will cancel them for you in which case you'll be entitled to a full refund.

Oliver2
March 7th, 2020, 14:31
Correct; I'm due a return and I shall book soon....P's visa seems unlikely to be granted owing to the corona virus so I shall go there unless prevented by force majeure.

Jellybean
March 7th, 2020, 16:28
Im flying from Man on the 21st of this month , but cant make up my mind weather to cancel the whole trip and take a money hit as my fare is100%non refundable or pay extra and change my dates to oct/ nov by which time things in both bkk and pattayamay have changed

I wouldn't cancel or change your flights aot871. Either it will be ok to go or some other body will cancel them for you in which case you'll be entitled to a full refund.

I think the advice given by arsenal is spot on, aot871. If I was in your shoes, I'd stick to your plans and cancel only if forced to do so.

Last year, I had to cancel my three month January to April trip due to medical reasons. Despite having no choice, it left a bitter after taste. Currently you have a choice. In fact, from all the media reports it might well be healthier for you to be away from the UK right now. :)

Incidentally, given the panic buying that I hear and read about, I'm glad I always keep a large stock of liquid soap, shower gel and loo rolls in reserve. Why? Because I’m organised! LOL! The upshot is, I won't have to immediately worry about such things when I get back to the UK.

Nirish guy
March 7th, 2020, 16:39
Just cancelling or otherwise Aot871 whatever you do just make sure if you decide NOT to go that you DO cancel and not just dont show up for your flight as I've noticed several airlines starting to build in really hefty "no show" fees, which are in some cases WAY more on top than the original ticket price even ! This I believe is to stop people using / buying tickets to avail of other benefits, wether it be proof of travel for visa purposes or getting a discount on a different ticket as part of a group buy ticket ( or something, not quite sure) but I noted my emirates ticket has it built in there now in their terms too, so do careful not to just not "show up" whatever you decide.

Zebedee
March 7th, 2020, 16:43
Just cancelling or otherwise Aot871 whatever you do just make sure if you decide NOT to go that you DO cancel and not just dont show up for your flight as I've noticed several airlines starting to build in really hefty "no show" fees, which are in some cases WAY more on top than the original ticket price even ! This I believe is to stop people using / buying tickets to avail of other benefits, wether it be proof of travel for visa purposes or getting a discount on a different ticket as part of a group buy ticket ( or something, not quite sure) but I noted my emirates ticket has it built in there now in their terms too, so do careful not to just not "show up" whatever you decide.

Wow, I never knew that! Thanks for the tip Nirish guy much appreciated.

aot871
March 7th, 2020, 18:08
I just had email from qatar , and they made a mistake on my cancellation charge ,, because my flight was half ecom and half business i will get back half the airfare , i tried to contact the office regarding change of dates ,, and after waiting 20 mins on hold gave up, and will wait untill monday

aot871
March 7th, 2020, 20:25
They just sent another email to say if i want to change dates to later on in the year , it will cost me £205, which is half that of the cancellation charge , so i think its a no brainer

Nirish guy
March 7th, 2020, 20:45
At least you're getting somewhere, I've spend the last hour trying to get sense out of emirates - so, have now rang their call centre FOUR times and had it confirmed "yes you can cancel, £150 fee applies ( fair enough), but you must do it via our website,

So, on I go to their website, to manage my booking, select "cancel my flight" button "if you cancel this flight due to your ticket terms no refund is available, do you wish to continue ?" ( thus another calls to their call centre), who THEN said "Ahhhh but you shouldn't be pressing the "cancel my flight" button to cancel your flight ( No of COURSE as that wouldn't make sense !?), you will have to go find a totally different page and then press to get the "ask for a refund" form and then complete it and click on all the boxes there to organise the refund.

The very first box on that form however then asks you to confirm that you understand that if you ticket rules said "no refunds, then you'll not getting one, BUT they will go ahead and cancel your ticket if you proceed with submitting the form!' ( another call to the call centre by me to say you're asking me to accept I'm not getting a refund ?!" Oh no sir, no problem, just complete the form and it SHOULD be fine. So I do. So, ok says I and what about my four additional seat selection fees I paid too ? No, sorry Sir, you'll need to fill in that same form again ( for EACH seat booked x 4 ) and then submit that form to us again four times !

So, form now completed and returned FIVE times to them it total now, only to get back a "due to the number of emails we get etc etc it may be several days before we can reply" - so, I'm now none the wiser as to has / is my flight now cancelled and am I getting any money back from my £1000 flight fee ( when all other airlines are currently showing flights to Bkk for about £500 which I'd like to crack on and get one of them booked today !)

Likewise same with booking.com - yes your hotel is fully cancellable Sir,,,,,,,,Oh, you've already paid in full Sir, hmmm let me check, that may not then be refundable even thought the button on your screen says it is. Likewise Lionair - trying to manage my booking to check any cancellation options, forget it, without a "valid " NIRC ?? number ( whatever THAT is) and it wont even let me log on to check and when I try to get a reminder to my email address of my old log in password sent to my email address - no, nothing and that x about 6 attempts now ( and no, it's not in my junk mail ) - So, all in all I think risking catching something in Japan just might end up the EASIER and less stressful option than all these attempted cancellations ffs !

gerefan2
March 7th, 2020, 23:55
Yes Nirish, companies HATE giving refunds. Ever tried getting a refund for anything in Thailand?!

It’s exactly the same as trying to leave Hornet, Romeo or Blued....the latter of which is an impossibility.

Good luck...keep button pushing.

Nirish guy
March 8th, 2020, 06:28
you'd think that by now though for firms that depend on repeat custom that they'd get that it IS just better and more customer friendly to make getting a refund just as easy as making a sale in order NOT to piss possibly returning customers off, this being a perfect example.....i.e I was more than happy to change my booking but stick with Emirates who I generally use and am happy with, whereas now feel like they've tried to screw me over, twice, and so "fuck em and KLM are most likely are going to get a shot now and if they do nothing wrong then BOOM Emirates have just lost a customer for life perhaps - and all over a booking that they should just have refunded easily and said "no problem, thanks anyway, see you next time Sir.

Which is another thing......they're making a big thing of saying 'if you book after the 6th of March - whilst knowing Corona virus is about and need to change later dont worry, we've got you, you can change at any time if things change at no cost" - which is all good - but what does that say about all their customers ( like me) who booked in good faith before the 6th and without possibly being able to know what was coming - basically that's just a "tough shit, not our problem, you've to pay our change fees still" -again not exactly being magnanimous and looking after ALL their customers is it :-( But we'll see, maybe they'll end up doing that anyway and just aren't shouting about it for fear of losing a ton of bookings - we'll see.

colmx
March 11th, 2020, 03:21
My boss has just forbidden me from travelling to Thailand next month (in fairness he also cancelled his own trip to SE Asia)
So it looks like I will be spending Songkran locked up at home chomping on Easter eggs!

Nirish guy
March 11th, 2020, 04:42
You and me both perhaps - albeit my enforced jail time in the office will I fear have to be self imposed which makes it even worse! Even in the last two days business has started to suffer with various work issues now cropping up due to the virus scares. Likewise I can just feel my staffs nervousness that they may have to self isolate and what will happen re their work ( I dint mean jobs there btw I mean their work load).

All of which is starting to make it look almost impossible for me to say “oh by the way guys, see in the middle of all of this, I’m fucking off to Thailand to party for a bit - but don’t worry I’ll try not to bring anything back with me when I return”.

So yeah, I hate to admit it but your boss probably has a point :-(

goji
March 11th, 2020, 06:19
Of course, the percentage of the population currently with COVID19 in Ireland and the UK is an order of magnitude worse than Thailand.

I suspect there's a huge temperature effect. Assuming everything is counted properly.

Nirish guy
March 11th, 2020, 16:32
My boss has just forbidden me from travelling to Thailand next month.....

Out of interest did he specify a specific concern i.e was he worried about your company operations here being under pressure if things ramped up here in your absence or was his concern more about possible quarantine risk issues or maybe about you ( both) bringing something back to the office etc ?? Or was it just a general "fear" of the unknown and so just trying playing it safe ?

I only ask as I'm going through all of the above thoughts on an hourly basis and still trying to convince myself "fuck it just go, life short and you should live it" etc, but with everyone else starting to be super cautious now ( panic??) I'm torn between am I too doing the right thing or am I just panicking over a media driven story like everyone else as at some level there's probably as much chance of catching something here at home as there is in Thailand ! ( on not ?)

My main reason for cancelling now is the business uncertainly that's going on and just a feeling that I have to stay close to the office to deal with "whatever" comes down the line at us - which is probably a good call, but a pain none the less cancelling a trip for no "actual" reason other than to mitigate against things that might or might not / but as yet haven't actually happened ! :-(

riverdee
March 12th, 2020, 01:28
I reach my 60th next year always flown economy to bkk but want next year to be a memorable one and book bis class flights all the way flying from Aberdeen, Emirates,Qatar looks good KLM Maybe don't mind the stop in the middle Doha,Dubai or whatever.... would only consider BA for the Aberdeen LHR part of the journey but no further

gerefan2
March 12th, 2020, 01:34
am I just panicking over a media driven story like everyone else as at some level there's probably as much chance of catching something here at home as there is in Thailand ! ( on not ?)

How many cases in Thailand ? About 45
How many cases in UK? About 400

I rest my case.

Nirish guy
March 12th, 2020, 03:22
Obviously in my ( and your) case though that 400 figure covers the rest of mainland UK too whereas the Irish figures ( North and South) are ( so far) both dramatically lower than that number and sitting at 18 and 43 cases respectively (as at today)......but of course I think we all know that that's those numbers are going to change very quickly too unfortunately here, hence my gut feeling that I'd better stick around if I'm required to deal with the fallout of that in the office work as and when it does happen.......although what I'm supposed to do fi things go to shit the way some people are suggesting I have NO idea as yet ! Kiss some rosary beads and say a few hail marys I think might be in order......and I'm not even a Roman catholic ffs ! :-)

colmx
March 12th, 2020, 04:47
Out of interest did he specify a specific concern i.e was he worried about your company operations here being under pressure if things ramped up here in your absence or was his concern more about possible quarantine risk issues or maybe about you ( both) bringing something back to the office etc ?? Or was it just a general "fear" of the unknown and so just trying playing it safe ?

He didn't really say, I'm guessing its a mixture of operations being under pressure if I was away for a sustained time or taken ill/dead. We were at a Business Continuity planning meeting at the time and discussing the shutdown of all our offices globally (which incidentally is now in motion). His comment was along the lines of "I hope you have cancelled your trip to Thailand to this Water festival of yours?" Where the question was absolutely rhetorical in nature!

Nirish guy
March 12th, 2020, 05:46
Ha oh right, one of those “oh yes, it’s your annual leave, to take when YOUZ wish of course so yes go ahead and take it ..... if you REALLY think that’s a good idea and you’re happy that your job will still be here for you ok when you return of course, so yes do let me know if you’re SURE you want to ask me to sign that leave sheet for you now won’t you !?” Yeah ya gotta love those types of conversations :-)

I guess if nothing else it’s nice to know you’re needed, mind you I’m guessing if it’s “knowing you’re needed in work” OR sitting in some bar in Pattaya I’m guessing I know which you’d still opt for if given even half a choice !!

pong
March 12th, 2020, 07:45
As for now, and probably for at least this month, this discussion seems a bit superfluous. QR has cancelled all flites to TH. TH now wants anyone arriving to either get some wacky Thai app or to fill out all kind of forms as to where you have been lately. They have scrapped that VisaOnArrival way to enter for any countries (NO, this does not yet affect UK/DE-thats NOT VoA, its visa-exempt). But also cancels this way for IT and ES. BKK-city has now also said to cancel that water-throwing fun called songkran, Patters did already. News flowing in every hour with again new measures. Soon you will simply have no choice left.
For me as usual its getting a wee bit too hot here (outside, the temp.-this guy was also quite hot yesterday) and due to fly back to EUR in a few days. No mails from the airline, but a general note that I have to check and hey, presto: connection onward in EUR scrapped for now.

aot871
March 12th, 2020, 08:27
As for now, and probably for at least this month, this discussion seems a bit superfluous. QR has cancelled all flites to TH. TH now wants anyone arriving to either get some wacky Thai app or to fill out all kind of forms as to where you have been lately. They have scrapped that VisaOnArrival way to enter for any countries (NO, this does not yet affect UK/DE-thats NOT VoA, its visa-exempt). But also cancels this way for IT and ES. BKK-city has now also said to cancel that water-throwing fun called songkran, Patters did already. News flowing in every hour with again new measures. Soon you will simply have no choice left.
For me as usual its getting a wee bit too hot here (outside, the temp.-this guy was also quite hot yesterday) and due to fly back to EUR in a few days. No mails from the airline, but a general note that I have to check and hey, presto: connection onward in EUR scrapped for now.

I have seen that on gaybutton about the app u have to download before u can enter ,, but i have not heard any thing about qatar canceling flights to thailand , WHERE IS THAT

Andaman!
March 12th, 2020, 15:32
As for now, and probably for at least this month, this discussion seems a bit superfluous. QR has cancelled all flites to TH.

Pong you should not scaremonger by posting incorrect information. QR has not cancelled all flights to Thailand. They are running normally. Qatar as a country has banned people from Thailand entering Qatar but not transiting through the airport. Information on Flights to other countries affected by Coronavirus can be found at https://qatarairways.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006229097-COVID-19-Coronavirus-Update

gerefan2
March 12th, 2020, 16:59
This thread started off asking for advice about airlines flying to Thailand ....Emirates, Lufthansa, Etihad or Qatar.

Since then things have changed and various rules, prohibitions and cancellations have muddied the waters.

If I was about to travel to Thailand I would not book anything until the last day possible.

For the reasons mentioned and now that the USA have banned all flights from Schengen countries. That is all of Europe...save for the UK...at the moment.

The closing of these lucrative routes across the Atlantic, and other Corona cancellations, are going to affect some of the big carriers so much I expect some will not survive.

Book anything long term at your peril!

Nirish guy
March 12th, 2020, 17:11
..... now that the USA have banned all flights from Schengen countries. That is all of Europe...save for the UK..!

And Ireland actually ( luckily for them as they too are outside of Schengen of course too - just in case that matters to you work wise etc in some way maybe......

The only thing that depresses me about this ( aside from the obvious of the whole thing) is that it will only serve to fuel Nationalism, bigotry and racism etc across the world, where people and Countries will now have no problem "closing their borders and their minds" to welcoming people from other places and cultures. The BNP etc here in the UK and the hate mongers in other Countries must now be loving this as this means they can safely spout their hatred of "others' with a "you SEE, we told you we shouldn't have let them in to our Country" bullshit now for years to come. :-(

paulfort
March 13th, 2020, 07:32
I am due (hopefully....!) to fly out from London on Thursday with Eva, going out in their Elite (Premium economy) with 13 out of the 66 seats currently occupied and coming back in Royal Laurel (their business class) with a similar mega low occupancy, I always find EVA excellent and their awards program in star alliance is more generous than many other carriers so would recommend!
The questions on the coronavirus surely just needs careful monitoring, the big question for any of us from Europe is will Thailand actually let us in and guess that changes daily, this site confirms the Thai position https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php I am hoping UK cases don't go mad, so whilst the UK will probably join their "countries with contamination" stage (so a fair self isolate if symptoms) we wont make it in to the more draconian higher tear of "compulsory 14 day self isolation even with no symptoms " - which would make my two week return totally unviable!