PDA

View Full Version : Surawong Road and Patpong 2 Alley

Jellybean
February 29th, 2020, 21:58
It was my intention to write a diary of the more important events that occurred during this current trip, but I never seemed to have the time or, to be perfectly frank, enough interesting things happen to me that I thought would be worthy of posting.

I did however take several photos around the Surawong area, which were intended to accompany my diary, but rather than let them go to waste, I have decided to post them here.

The first photos shows the Surawong Road entrance to soi bprà-dtuu chai, more commonly referred to as Soi Twilight. But what a sad sight it is!

As I stood opposite the old entrance I had a flash-back of all the happy times that I had on that street of dreams, going right back to the first night when four fa-ràng friends took me there for the first time and patiently waited in a go-go bar while I went to a short-time room with my first ever prostitute. It wasn’t the greatest of experiences and I didn’t feel too good about myself afterwards. But it wasn’t long before I adapted to my new post-cancer lifestyle and enjoyed it so much I kept coming back for more and more with Dream Boys/Boys of Bangkok becoming my firm favourite.

The next set of photos begin with the entrance to Patpong 2 Alley from Surawong Road, it’s the next soi near the entrance to Screwboys Bar.

To be continued . . .

Jellybean
February 29th, 2020, 22:11
Further photos of Patpong 2 . . .

I didn't think I'd be able to identify the masseurs sitting outside Bangkok Massage, but they were clearly identifiable in the original photos. I therefore used two smiley emojis to protect their privacy.

To access Patpong 2 Alley from Silom Road, walk past Silom Soi 4 (pictured above) the home of the Telephone and Balcony bars, and you'll find the entrance. In the alley there are shops on either side selling suitcases, rucksacks and handbags etc. And at the entrance on the right-hand side there is a branch of Boots.

And lastly, this is the first time I've seen a billboard advert for a gay app. In this case the app, blued. It is located near D J Station nightclub on Silom Road. The photo was taken from the walkway between BTS Sala Daeng and MRT Silom.

gerefan2
March 1st, 2020, 01:34
Wow, looks so different in daytime!

Zebedee
March 1st, 2020, 03:53
Bangkok was never my favourite stomping grounds it was always Pattaya,however I did venture there from time to time. Scorpion bar was a place I still remember well but only because of one stunning Vietnamese guy that worked there. He was unavailable to me even though I tried on a few occasions,I found out later ( I think christianpfc mentioned it ) that VN guy was unavailable to everyone,it seems he was just the lure to get customers in . I wouldn't mind but I would not have been too "demanding " had he agreed to an off,he was that sexy looking I would have been pleased with minimal attention. Such is life.

Thanks for the photos.... and the memories...it seems thats all there is these days.
God I'm depressed!

neddy3
March 1st, 2020, 05:25
The photos of the (former) Soi Twilight are interesting only by showing that nothing seems to be happening there.
It has looked about like that for months.

pong
March 1st, 2020, 07:19
Thanks, so I can see it again when Iám back home when the weather here starts heating up.
As an aside: why are there 2 dreamboys, as fas as I could see not interconnected? Passed by daytime, so all closed, except for the small guys in their schoolboy-type gym clothes from the massage. Most likely someone or even der Chris has already answered this somewhere, but I am not that regular there and there are so many reports its not easy to find in.
Somehow contruction, preceded by breaking old stuff down here in Th always seems to go very haphazard and with many, many breaks and long intermittent periodes in between. Before breaking down the old structures, there is always a rigorous and complete removal of about anything valuable before, up to the blue plastic naam prapa (watermains) so in the end only the concrete bare structure stands-untill the wrecking balls comes along.

Zebedee
March 1st, 2020, 08:24
The photos of the (former) Soi Twilight are interesting only by showing that nothing seems to be happening there.

To be honest I have not seen / been to Soi Twilight etc for over a year, so it was of interst to me.
I can understand for someone visiting bangkok regularly it might not be .

bkkguy
March 1st, 2020, 19:50

rumor has it the money didn't come through and the soi will remain like that for a few years at least

Nirish guy
March 1st, 2020, 20:19
rumor has it the money didn't come through and the soi will remain like that for a few years at least

If that’s true what a shame and what an unnecessary upheaval for all concerned - US LOT MAINLY ESPECIALLY of COURSE ! :-)

bkkguy
March 2nd, 2020, 19:52
If that’s true what a shame and what an unnecessary upheaval for all concerned

I may be a cynic but I don't really think the impact on a declining number of sex tourists has been the major concern of the financial big wigs when deciding where exactly to invest their Baht in an already over-developed area like this!

arsenal
March 3rd, 2020, 06:36
"I don't really think the impact on a declining number of sex tourists has been the major concern of the financial big wigs"

Well it bloody well should be.

dinagam
March 3rd, 2020, 09:08
As I have once said before, Thailand is nothing without the sex tourists...

Jason105
March 3rd, 2020, 23:34
Thanks so much for the photos.
I somehow manage to forget to take any when I'm there, so I enjoyed seeing the "playground".
All the best

Jellybean
March 8th, 2020, 19:54
. . . As an aside: why are there 2 dreamboys, as fas as I could see not interconnected?

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, pong. I’m afraid I couldn’t quite remember if they were connected or not, so I returned and took a few photos which quite clearly show they are two separate bars/clubs. With one club called Dream Boys Paradiso and the other Dream Boys Bangkok. What the difference between the two is, I cannot say. Depending on the state of my bank account, I may perhaps pop in and have a look towards the end of my hols’ and find out. ;)

While in the area, I took photos of a go-go bar called Banana Room Club in Silom Soi 4, which I wasn’t previously aware of. Perhaps it’s been mentioned here before; if it has, then it has slipped off my radar. It’s in the same soi as the Telephone Bar, a photo of which is also included below, before they set up the outside tables.

I also took a couple of photos of Jupiter 2018, located towards the end of Silom Soi 4.

Sadly, photos taken during the daytime have, I think, the effect of removing the sparkle and the magic from the fantasy. In the same way, as I recall, at the end of the night/early morning, the clubs in London would switch off the strobe lights and turn on the fluorescent strip lights, bringing unwanted reality in and a sure way of clearing the dance floor! :)

And finally, just to give some context to the photos, I also attach two maps of the Patpong and Silom areas, taken from a brochure I picked up a few weeks ago. Actually, one difference I noted from the maps, Patpong 1 is where the night-market and some of the girlie bars are located and Patpong 2 is where most of the gay go-go bars are.

petr55
March 8th, 2020, 21:40
Actually, for me, I prefer the new bars in Patpong 2 (compared to the old ones across the street). I like Lucky and Dream boys (both-Paradiso and BKK) with a mix of nationalities some thai, and the rest from Lao, Cambodia and Myanmmar boys. The bars are larger and have many more boys than Freshboys or Screwboys (which is a really tiny and oddly shaped bar -- long rectangle with stage on the far end). Freshboys is mostly Vietnamese and they will not bottom.

But my favorite bar is really Moonlight. Handsome muscular jocktype guys. They had a few twinks but they moved to DreamBoys Bangkok.
Here's an example of a guy I off'ed at Moonlight.

[Link to photo of a bar-boy has been removed. Rule 3.1.1 is applicable.]

pong
March 12th, 2020, 07:52
That ML has a whole own thread and lots of enthusiasts, perhaps on that other forum. Another major source of enthusiasts for them were the Chinese girls before this corona outburst.
Thanks back, khun JB, it does seem this Banana you pictured early in the day is brand new, its also lacking from that map. I saw that map before and also reailsed they must simply have exchanged PPg 1 and 2. Maybe yet another massage?

Patanawet
March 12th, 2020, 16:01
What is Patpong 'alley'? Have you been looking closely at Google Maps? It is called Soi Patpong 2.

Jellybean
March 12th, 2020, 16:50
What is Patpong 'alley'? Have you been looking closely at Google Maps? It is called Soi Patpong 2.

Yes, if you must know, Patanawet, I got the title of my topic from Google maps – see below.

And as for the actual street name, I attach below the photos I took of the signs at either end of the street showing “Thanon Patpong 2”. And, out of interest, because I am curious, did you like any of the photos that I took the time and trouble to take, transfer from my phone to my computer, downsize and post on the forum, not just once, but twice?

dinagam
March 12th, 2020, 18:27
One should try to be consistent, whether using the Thai 'soi' or the English 'alley' and not to use both in the same breath or paragraph, or putting the blame on Google.

Zebedee
March 12th, 2020, 19:28
As I have once said before, Thailand is nothing without the sex tourists...

Thank you, I do try to do my bit!

Patanawet
March 12th, 2020, 23:48
I always appreciate the trouble people on this board take for the benefit of other users. Thank you.
I was not being critical. Just pointing out how the locals, Thai and farang alike, refer to the soi.

christianpfc
March 15th, 2020, 22:39

Demolition progresses every time I check. I pass occasionally and take pictures to document the progress. On last attempt end of Feb, I couldn't get in any more (a container with an office with a manager or engineer who did not let me in; whereas the months before there were only workers who didn't care about me strolling around).

bkkguy
March 26th, 2020, 19:49
Demolition progresses every time I check.

demolition continues apace - walking past this afternoon there was a lot more bright sky visible behind the hoarding, it contrasted eerily to the shuttered and derelict looking end of Patpong 2