PDA

View Full Version : Ko Chang

gerefan2
February 10th, 2020, 01:02
Help please!
Anyone been? Where to stay? What to see? How long to stay? How to get there from Pattaya.
Any other advice.
B/f and I are thinking of going for a few days.
Many thanks

Marc K
February 10th, 2020, 03:12
This might help (https://bangkokattractions.com/pattaya-to-koh-chang-ferry-bus-taxi-van/): Bus and ferry is best IMHO

a447
February 10th, 2020, 07:02
Hi Mark.

A warm welcome to the board.

What a great link! I've never thought of going to Koh Chang but it's now on my bucket list.

pong
February 10th, 2020, 11:47
Help please!
Anyone been? Where to stay? What to see? How long to stay? How to get there from Pattaya.
Any other advice.
Many thanks

Well, thats good-youve hit the very basics: BYOB=bring your own boy.
ANY of the dozens of Patters local tr-agents -just open eyes when walk around-will be able to set you in on transp to overthere, expect a crammed minivan that dumps you at the ferrylanding-though in fact there are 2ferries, 1 for cars, 1 for pax only. Yes, its of course possible for a little less by public bus-let the B do the searhces, but IMHO not worth it to scrape the odd baht for that. It will add many hrs to the trip length. In slack times the van may also carry visumgetters to the Khmer border just a little onward.
There is nothing to see except beaches and jungle, as it was near uninhabited untill the tourist mob discovered it. YES it does mean elefant island, and its not named after the beer. Google for a site named like Iamkohchang for more details. Quoting this as attraction for BKK -its some 6hrs or near 300 kms away, is a bit surprising to me.
Nothing ever has just +: the main - are: near deserted in low season, overflown with Russky in high in some areas, skyhigh pricing due to everything must be brought in from mainland, a bit awkward and time eating transpo to get there and back.
My own tip: consider staying over the night in rustic TRAT=the last ´major´ town to get to ferry or Khmer, still a very quiet, rustic, superfriendly old-style Thai town with an excellent night market too. Dozens of ditto rustic and cheap guesthss just off main drag, no need to prebook. But again the -: not really fit for those who expect only 5* and distrust anything Thai.

daydreamer
February 10th, 2020, 12:04
Help please!
Any other advice.
Many thanks

I was just on Koh Chang. I was going to write a trip report including photos, but for some reason I wasn't able to post photos. When I'm logged in, I get this message "You may not post attachments".

My report on Koh Chang was just posted on the gayguides board under the same user name as here. I hope it answers your questions.

Moses
February 10th, 2020, 12:56
I was just on Koh Chang. I was going to write a trip report including photos, but for some reason I wasn't able to post photos. When I'm logged in, I get this message "You may not post attachments".

You can't post attachments while you are in "Newbie" user group, also all your posts are going via moderation... it is forum safety measurement. Forum's robot will move you to "Regular users" group at next 24 hours after your 3rd post.

gerefan2
February 10th, 2020, 14:27

My report on Koh Chang was just posted on the gayguides board under the same user name as here. I hope it answers your questions.

Thanks for that exactly what I wanted!
Where did you rent the car? How much per day?
I won’t use the minibus and the normal bus is difficult. Many changes.
A taxi is about 3500 each way so maybe car hire will work.
Many thanks

daydreamer
February 10th, 2020, 19:24
Glad to help, gerefan2.

I rented the car from Hertz in Pattaya. The cost was about 8,000 baht for one week, but that included 100% insurance coverage that came to about 1,600 baht. That covers any excess collision deductible, glass damage, tires, etc. Hertz provides information for roadside assistance, if needed.

You can find a car a bit cheaper, but I wanted a reliable reservation ahead of time so I knew the car I reserved would be ready to go. Last year, I had a car reserved with a small company ahead of time, and when I was ready to pick it up, I was told "sorry, no have, now high season". Renting with Hertz gave me the confidence I wouldn't have to scramble and waste precious vacation time shopping around for a car. Best of all, no advance payment or deposit required.

Hertz is located about two short blocks north of the traffic circle at Pattaya Nua, close to Terminal 21. All they need is a copy of your passport and credit card.

I chose the weekly rate, as it came out to about the same cost as for 5 days, and much more convenient, as I had the car at the hotel the day before we left, so we could get an early start on the road the next morning. We were on Koh Chang at the bungalow at about 3 pm.

I agree with you, I won't ride like a sardine packed in a minibus or van. They cram at least 9 passengers into those vans, and sometimes the driver is using M-150 energy drinks to stay awake. A car is the way to go, because you can stop where you want, listen to music, and most importantly, talk to your friend without being the center of attention in a crowded van. Sitting on a folding jump seat in a van for 6 hours is no fun.

I drove all the way on Sukhumvit Road from Pattaya Klang. The traffic is not bad after you pass Jomtien, and it gets considerably lighter after going through Rayong. Most of the trip reminded me of driving around in northern Thailand. The biggest road hazard is you need to watch for vehicles in the fast lane slowing down to make U-turns (legal), but that's true everywhere in Thailand.

On the way back, I got on the motorway at Rayong, where it begins. What a traffic nightmare that was due to road construction. After slowly crawling traffic for about 3 miles due to the road works, I took the first exit back onto Sukhumvit Road for the rest of the way.

Hertz gave me a brand new Toyota with only 7,000 km on the odometer. A very comfortable way to travel. Then when you get to the island, you have air conditioned transport. Your friend will appreciate that rather than having to ride around in a crowded songtaew.

daydreamer
February 10th, 2020, 19:52
Moses - thanks for explaining why I wasn't able to attach photos. Although I am a newbie, I have been reading this board since the beginning. I was registered before, but I guess my name was removed due to lack of frequent posts.

I have been a member of Gaybutton's board since the early days too, but my user name was culled a few times due to inactivity. No problem, I fully understand.