PDA

View Full Version : BTS and ID

Keith
December 31st, 2019, 18:25
Not sure if it was on this site bit there was a lot ofvdiscussion about having to show your passport to top up your Rabbit card at a BTS station. Indeed I suffered from this. In November, and now, as other members will have noticed, no longer any requirement to show ID. Last two top ups of Bt200, just waved through.

goji
December 31st, 2019, 19:28
A requirement to show ID is barking mad. Anyone up to no good, such as suicide bombers and so on will simply pay a cash fare.

I wondered into a Rabbit office with the intention of buying a card. There were 3 people doing naff all in this office, but they sent me to the ticket counter. That had 2 queues with over 10 people in each, so I didn't bother. The ratio of those doing bugger all to those serving customers could be improved.

Also, in most countries I visit, the machines sell the prepay cards.

Keith
December 31st, 2019, 19:49
Indeed, in almost every other country you top up your card in the machine!

BenCH
January 1st, 2020, 00:44
... no longer any requirement to show ID. Last two top ups of Bt200, just waved through.

"Registered Rabbit cardholders not required to present passport ...". That's what they show at the ticket booth. So as they already have you in their system and can watch your travels on Skytrain, no need to ask for registration again.

More surprising is, that this is "In compliance with the Anti-Money Laundering Act, B.E. 2542"! Money laundering with BTS Rabbit card? And the act is over 20 years old - and only since this year they ask for ID or Passport. TiT!

frequent
January 1st, 2020, 03:16
Not sure if it was on this site bit there was a lot of discussion about having to show your passport to top up your Rabbit card at a BTS station. Indeed I suffered from this. In November, and now, as other members will have noticed, no longer any requirement to show ID. Last two top ups of Bt200, just waved through.The requirement is and, since it was introduced, always has been to show ID at the first top-up. Since the ID is at that point linked to the card there is no need for showing ID for subsequent top-ups
Anyone up to no good, such as suicide bombers and so on will simply pay a cash fare.I've always thought a strategically placed bomb at the Siam interchange could cripple the BTS network
More surprising is, that this is "In compliance with the Anti-Money Laundering Act, B.E. 2542"! Money laundering with BTS Rabbit card? And the act is over 20 years old - and only since this year they ask for ID or Passport. TiT!Please try to start the new year without talking complete nonsense. There are many Acts in multiple countries whose reach has been extended over the years, especially since 7-11

Nirish guy
January 1st, 2020, 09:26
There are many Acts in multiple countries whose reach has been extended over the years, especially since 7-11

Dont really see what corner convenience stores have to do with anything but still....... :-P

frequent
January 1st, 2020, 10:38
Dont really see what corner convenience stores have to do with anything but still....... :-PI take it you're not an Absolutely Fabulous devotee then

frequent
January 1st, 2020, 11:37
Eddie: "New York will never be the same after Seven-Eleven"
Saffie: "Huh?"
Eddie "I meant..Twenty four-Seven"
Saffie: "MUM! Nine-Eleven!"
Eddie "I knew that..Nine-Eleven sweetie, I knew that!"

Keith
January 1st, 2020, 17:08
Great programmes. Couldn't be made today!

Nirish guy
January 1st, 2020, 18:58
Ahhh right ok, I get it now .......

goji
January 1st, 2020, 23:17
Great programmes. Couldn't be made today!

I agree that it's great programming.

They did make a movie version about 2 or 3 years ago and most of it was very good.

Keith
January 2nd, 2020, 00:08
The great thing is that it is not at all PC, which is why I think it would not be as funny and irreverent. Applies to a lot of 70's and 80's programmes. Remember the comment by Sir Humphrey, ' there was a Boeing 747 that belonged to 7 different African countries, it was known as the Mumbo Jumbo'...

goji
January 2nd, 2020, 10:15
The great thing is that it is not at all PC, which is why I think it would not be as funny and irreverent. Applies to a lot of 70's and 80's programmes.

Excessive political correctness does seem to be killing off good comedy.

lonelywombat
January 2nd, 2020, 16:24
Excessive political correctness does seem to be killing off good comedy.
And killing off the forum. Amazing the number of members who glance, but no longer contribute

pong
January 2nd, 2020, 18:38
This rabbit since a year or 2 can also be used to make payments at other places-very much like in hkg with the octopus. Thus its not simply a farecard anymore. In EUR there were some trials to do also do that with the various (london Oyster etc.) cds, but this was pretty soon stopped by EU-due to strict money laundering and banking acts. TH mostly copies that to prevent any nasties from there.
Same-same applies to the various apps one may now use to pay in lieu of coins and bills-7 is a very well known case. But there are more.
Hence have gone astray all trials to simplify use of the various BKK rapit transit systems by having one universal card. Even the govmt. owned BMTA citybuses now have their own card which one can only top up at Krung Thai bank ATMs and they intend to make all their buses cashless soon.

bkkguy
January 3rd, 2020, 18:32
they intend to make all their buses cashless soon.

the next logical step - they have been profitless for years!

goji
January 3rd, 2020, 23:15
This rabbit since a year or 2 can also be used to make payments at other places-very much like in hkg with the octopus. Thus its not simply a farecard anymore. In EUR there were some trials to do also do that with the various (london Oyster etc.) cds, but this was pretty soon stopped by EU-due to strict money laundering and banking acts. TH mostly copies that to prevent any nasties from there.
Same-same applies to the various apps one may now use to pay in lieu of coins and bills-7 is a very well known case. But there are more.
Hence have gone astray all trials to simplify use of the various BKK rapit transit systems by having one universal card. Even the govmt. owned BMTA citybuses now have their own card which one can only top up at Krung Thai bank ATMs and they intend to make all their buses cashless soon.

In London, contactless bank cards also work on the underground and the buses. Almost all bank cards issued in the UK are of this type. I believe they are common elsewhere in Europe, so visitors to London can use their domestic cards on the public transport system.

frequent
January 4th, 2020, 02:18
the next logical step - they have been profitless for years!Oddly enough public transport is not intended to make a profit, that's why it's public. The buses, owned and operated by the BMTA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Mass_Transit_Authority), are subsidised by the local government. The BTS and the MRT are privately owned and operated

goji
January 4th, 2020, 09:44
Oddly enough public transport is not intended to make a profit, that's why it's public. The buses, owned and operated by the BMTA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Mass_Transit_Authority), are subsidised by the local government. The BTS and the MRT are privately owned and operated

PUBLIC transport is so called as any member of the PUBLIC may use it, unlike a private car.

This may be operated by companies such as in Japan, or the state, such as in Venezuela or North Korea. Since politicians are often complete fuckwits with zero common sense and zero management skill, the success of state enterprises is not guaranteed.

frequent
January 4th, 2020, 14:19
PUBLIC transport is so called as any member of the PUBLIC may use it, unlike a private car.

This may be operated by companies such as in Japan, or the state, such as in Venezuela or North Korea. Since politicians are often complete fuckwits with zero common sense and zero management skill, the success of state enterprises is not guaranteed.Perhaps if you re-read what I posted you can point out where I wrote that public transport must mean public ownership. However I see we have another Trump follower amongst us

goji
January 4th, 2020, 16:11
Perhaps if you re-read what I posted you can point out where I wrote that public transport must mean public ownership. However I see we have another Trump follower amongst us
You stayed it is run not for profit. Often public transport is run for profit by private companies. The profit is why they get involved. In many cases the private management is so far superior to f*cked up state incompetence, that they provide a better service and manage to turn a profit.

In the UK, almost the entire rail network was originally built and operated by the private sector.

So it is PUBLIC transport because the public may use it. Either run by a for profit company or some politicians.

mr giggles
August 2nd, 2021, 11:45
Eddie: "New York will never be the same after Seven-Eleven"
Saffie: "Huh?"
Eddie "I meant..Twenty four-Seven"
Saffie: "MUM! Nine-Eleven!"
Eddie "I knew that..Nine-Eleven sweetie, I knew that!"

Patsy on being earnest:
“Darling, if you want to talk bollocks and the meaning of life, you’re better off just downing a bottle of whisky. At least that way you’re unconscious by the time you start to take yourself seriously!”
:lol: