PDA

View Full Version : Christmas in Bangkok

frequent
December 17th, 2019, 08:19
I regard the whole secular Christmas thing as "the abomination of desolation (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination_of_desolation)" mentioned in a couple of places in the Bible. Nevertheless, for those who go in for that sort of thing, I'm told the general Xmas Day offering from the Soi 4 bars is "soup'n'chicken" (if you're after the whole experience ("from soup to nuts (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soup_to_nuts)" as they say) you'll have to get your nuts from one of the nearby gogo bars)

However Tapas on 4 is offering a special menu for the "festive" season evenings:

gerefan2
December 17th, 2019, 12:00
An absolute rip off. 1290 baht for something that is normally 400 baht. And excluding drinks, service charge and VAT.

I can understand these price hikes in the UK where staff have to be bought in during their holiday time. But no one in Thailand celebrates this festival. To them it’s a normal working day.

Merry fucking Christmas.

frequent
December 17th, 2019, 13:13
An absolute rip off. 1290 baht for something that is normally 400 baht. And excluding drinks, service charge and VAT.

I can understand these price hikes in the UK where staff have to be bought in during their holiday time. But no one in Thailand celebrates this festival. To them it’s a normal working day.

Merry fucking Christmas.Completely accurate. New Year’s Eve will be even more of a rip-off. I seem to recall hearing something like 3,000 baht and that was a few years ago

Oliver2
December 17th, 2019, 13:26
All I hope is that the bloody decorations are down by the time I arrive in early January. There seems to be competition to see who can keep them going the longest. The polystyrene reindeer in our Krabi hotel in mid February had turned a muddy brown by the time P insisted on being photographed next to them. I discovered that they lasted through to the rainy season.
It was always considered bad luck to keep decorations up after Twelfth Night; one of the few superstitions worth keeping.

Nirish guy
December 17th, 2019, 16:14
All I hope is that the bloody decorations are down by the time I arrive in early January. .

Or July perhaps which is equally likely usually ! :-)

Patanawet
December 17th, 2019, 17:02
Usually Easter.

pong
December 17th, 2019, 19:58
No, the Thai are very well aware of it, it gives them at least yet another opoortunity to ask for an extra bonath (bonus). And all those lovely bargirls (and the odd dito boy) with Xmas hats on is also a scene that may baffle religious people.
And just a week after is new year, phimai, also not very much celebrated by Thai-who have 3 of those anyway in a year. Also a date where most bars lay on very special extra shows/dinners/celebrations or whatever. And a few 1000 Thai kill themselves or fellow citizens in their road madness.
And its also prime top of high season, lets see&wait how much of that doom and gloom about the farang who stay away becomes true.