PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Thai debit cards

Jellybean
December 3rd, 2019, 21:44
Today, over on Gaybutton Thai forum, in his Announcements section, Gaybutton posted that several Thai bank debit cards are changing from a four digit PIN to a six digit PIN and he also mentioned that those banks are switching over to chip cards.

In the event that some of our members and readers may have missed the announcement, I thought it was worth sharing here. I am not entirely sure if it will affect me; I bank with Krungsri and checked their website, but was unable to find any PIN news. As a priority therefore, I shall visit my local Krungsri bank branch shortly after my arrival in January and find out if I require a new debit card.

Link to Gaybutton Thai:
https://gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10139

Smiles
December 4th, 2019, 15:09
Confirmed. I got a new debit card (Krung Thai Bank) sometime last summer and had to add two numbers to my PIN ... now six from four. Also, the new card's chip works as a "swiper" (i.e. no PIN needed) in the large supermarkets and most stores in malls.

The Digital World confounds me, although the swiping thing is fun, and strangely erotic.

pong
December 5th, 2019, 15:07
r
The Digital World confounds me, although the swiping thing is fun, and strangely erotic.

The word used for this is Contactless and In fact in EURope this has been made mandatory for all cards/banks sometime this year. Countries like POland and Czech are the forerunners in this, they have simply jumped over previous systems and gone straight to the new world. Its also very common now for paying public transport and in fact here in BKK the govt. run BMTA buses have now also such a card, to top up in Krung Thai bankATMs. Same same for rabiitcard for the BTS. In LONdon they call it touch in+out, maybe for some even more erotic connotations.
However, in EUR we have stuck to old 4 digit PIN in most cases. It also means that old style US-swipe cards with magn. band cannot processed anymore.

Nirish guy
December 5th, 2019, 15:12
The word used for this is Contactless and In fact in EURope this has been made mandatory for all cards/banks sometime this year..

Actually it's going full circle as they've realised perhaps that contactless isn't quite as secure as they may have hoped ( perhaps from people losing cards rather than an electronic issues) and so all card merchants are now being forced to implement a forced pin use at roughly every fifth or sixth contactless swipe, which is a real pain in the ass and defeats the purpose of contactless somewhat when you have to stand and wait to find out did the transaction go through or not ;-(

frequent
December 5th, 2019, 15:45
Actually it's going full circle as they've realised perhaps that contactless isn't quite as secure as they may have hoped ( perhaps from people losing cards rather than an electronic issues) and so all card merchants are now being forced to implement a forced pin use at roughly every fifth or sixth contactless swipe, which is a real pain in the ass and defeats the purpose of contactless somewhat when you have to stand and wait to find out did the transaction go through or not ;-(
Can you link to an article on this please?

Nirish guy
December 6th, 2019, 08:02
Can you link to an article on this please?

Well I can TELL you that I received at least two communications, one from Monzo and one from Santander "apologising" for the fact they were being forced to implement these new rules and accordingly I ( and everyone else) should expect to be asked to pin more often and we'd all just have to put up with it as it was for the greater good etc.

As for articles no, as as I say it was a direct communication from my own bank(s). Its actually not that controversial and I see already in my local filling station the staff and prompting people that they'll need to enter their pin when their contactless swipe is declined etc, it's happened me several times now of late and only earlier this very evening actually and all for the grand sum of £1.20p earlier for a loaf of bread ( as I'd no change in my pocket so used my card) - definitely a high risk purchase eh !

edit :

Here you go, I just went and googled that myself to make sure I was dreaming, I just lifted the first article that came up but there's plenty, but all basically saying the same thing, new EU rule that forces more pin inputs and so declines more contactless transactions to force that to happen etc

https://www.altfi.com/article/5732_one-in-every-five-contactless-payments-now-blocked-due-to-new-european-rules

frequent
December 6th, 2019, 08:42
Well I can TELL you that I received at least two communications, one from Monzo and one from Santander "apologising" for the fact they were being forced to implement these new rules and accordingly I ( and everyone else) should expect to be asked to pin more often and we'd all just have to put up with it as it was for the greater good etc.

As for articles no, as as I say it was a direct communication from my own bank(s). Its actually not that controversial and I see already in my local filling station the staff and prompting people that they'll need to enter their pin when their contactless swipe is declined etc, it's happened me several times now of late and only earlier this very evening actually and all for the grand sum of £1.20p earlier for a loaf of bread ( as I'd no change in my pocket so used my card) - definitely a high risk purchase eh !

edit :

Here you go, I just went and googled that myself to make sure I was dreaming, I just lifted the first article that came up but there's plenty, but all basically saying the same thing, new EU rule that forces more pin inputs and so declines more contactless transactions to force that to happen etc

https://www.altfi.com/article/5732_one-in-every-five-contactless-payments-now-blocked-due-to-new-european-rules
Thanks. I'd have to say I've never been asked since I arrived in Bavaria a couple of weeks ago but maybe that's because I'm using the digital wallet version of the card (in my case Apple Wallet)

arsenal
December 6th, 2019, 09:35
03.42 in the morning (Bavaria time) when you posted. You should get some rest. Can we expect some childish mad kings of Bavaria nonsense or has that particular frequentism finished?